PDA

View Full Version : How many of the 50 states have you been to?

stoopified
5/28/2007, 08:30 AM
What were you favorite places to vist or live?Personally I can't count that many .Oklahoma,Texas,Arkansas,Kansas,Missouri,Illinois( Granite City,just across the bridge from St.Louis),New Mexico,California,Arizona.

My favorite places to visit wereThe NW corner of Ark.,SW corner of Missouri.Beautiful rugged country,very rural.Great for outdoor activities.Loved Tabletop Lake,Buffalo RiverLanding.
My favorite part of Texas is the Gulf Coast( LaPorte,Baytown,Bay City area).Great weather,beautiful beaches,no crowds when I was there.I could pass on Galveston though.

New Mexico,yuck reminded me of West Texas,nothing but cactus and sand.California, mostly Orange County is a great place to visit,lots to do(Disneyland,Universal Studios,Knottsbery Farms,the beach just to name a few).Way too many people,too much traffic,smog.Arizona.just passed tthrough no real feeling either way.

So waht states have you been to and what did you enjoy the most?Vacation time approaches and I am dreaming of traveling.

Rogue
5/28/2007, 08:50 AM
I've been to 31 states.

WA, OR, ID, CA, MT, WY, UT, NV, NM, AZ, CO, TX, OK, KS, NE, LA, AR, AL, MO, IL, IN, MI, OH, WV, VA, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL, MD.

I recommend Jackson Hole. The drive from there to West Yellowstone around the Jenny Lake area is amazing. I'm a big fan of National Parks. The Oregon coast is pretty amazing too. I don't like the southwest much for visiting. When it's 112 degrees and some yokel thinks it's OK because "it's a dry heat" I could choke them.

So far Tennessee is my favorite place to live. Beautiful state all the way around.

So, 3 places I'll recommend for now:
1) Jackson, WY
2) Oregon Coast
3) Blue Ridge Parkway in TN and NC

jk the sooner fan
5/28/2007, 09:03 AM
i've been to 34

living in central new jersey was one of my favorite places - the shore was 15 minutes from my house, and then horse farms and orchards another 15 minutes the opposite direction

pennsylvania is one of the prettiest states i've been too

BajaOklahoma
5/28/2007, 09:19 AM
California, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, Oklahoma, texas, Minnesota, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Illinois, Ohio, Tennessee,
Massachusetts, New York, Florida, Hawaii.

Only 19. I need to get busy.

Sooner24
5/28/2007, 09:21 AM
34 and DC

Sooner24
5/28/2007, 09:23 AM
I have also been to 74 of the 77 counties in Oklahoma.

reevie
5/28/2007, 09:30 AM
I've been to 30:
Washington, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.

I'm not sure what my favorite places are. I decided that I could live just about anywhere in this great country but someplaces would require a more difficult adjustment.

I would love to go back to Washington DC, New York City and Las Vegas to spend more time at each one.

Salt Lake City and the surrounding area is a nice place to visit, especially if you like outdoor activities.

If you enjoy doing theme parks, then Orlando needs to be on your list.

SoonerBorn68
5/28/2007, 09:33 AM
As far as living goes, I've never moved farther than 40 miles from my birthplace--Norman.

I've been to 17 states:

OK, TX, KS, NE, SD, ND, MN, CO, AR, MO, IL, KY, TN, OH, IN, FL, MI

hurricane'bone
5/28/2007, 10:00 AM
Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, West ****in' Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Maine, and Connecticut

leavingthezoo
5/28/2007, 10:12 AM
washington, oregon, california, idaho, nevada, wyoming, utah, arizona, wyoming, colorado, new mexico, north dakota, south dakota, nebraska, kansas, oklahoma, texas, iowa, missouri, arkansas, mississippi, louisiana, indiana, florida, maryland, delaware, new jersey, connecticut, rhode island, massachusettes, new hampshire, vermont, new york.

vermont and connecticut are my favorites, and oregon is beautiful if you can tolerate the rain. same with washington.

TopDawg
5/28/2007, 10:12 AM
Here's a fun way to do it: link (http://douweosinga.com/projects/visitedstates)

After this summer (going to Hawaii), my map will look like this:

http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates/statemap?visited=ALAZARCODCFLGAHIIAKSKYLAMNMSMONEN VNMNCOHOKPATNTXWVWI

TopDawg
5/28/2007, 10:17 AM
Here is how my list breaks down:

To:
(in roughly the order of number of times)

Oklahoma
Texas
New Mexico
Missouri
Colorado
Nevada
Kansas
Florida
Arkansas
Nebraska
Arizona
Wisconsin
Alabama
Louisiana
West Virginia
Ohio
North Carolina
Tennessee
Minnesota
Washington DC
Hawaii

Through:
(via connecting flight, driving, or white water rafting)
Georgia
Pennsylvania
Mississippi
Iowa
Kentucky

SoonerStormchaser
5/28/2007, 10:40 AM
I've been to all of em except both Dakotas, Rhode Island and Vermont...

46/50 (+ DC)

HoserSooner
5/28/2007, 11:07 AM
New York, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama.

That's 11 out of 50...not bad for a Hoser. :D

stoopified
5/28/2007, 11:07 AM
I got to do some serious traveling to catch up.Btw for got to mention Ilovede the St. Louis Zoo.

Penguin
5/28/2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates/statemap?visited=ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINKYLAMNMSMOMTN VNMNCNDOHOKORPATNTXUTWAWIWY

I've been to 30.

SoonerDood
5/28/2007, 11:12 AM
30. Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Flawda, Gawgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington.

MamaMia
5/28/2007, 11:23 AM
I've been to 31 states

Oklahoma
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
DC
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Kansas
Louisiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Utah
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Texas

SoonerStud615
5/28/2007, 11:24 AM
20:

Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Hawaii, Alaska, Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, Kansas, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Kentucky, Missouri, New Mexico.

usmc-sooner
5/28/2007, 11:31 AM

California, Nevada, Idaho,Arizona, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, New Mexico Colorado Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi,Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware and DC

I've actually lived in Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado, Missouri, California, North Carolina, Virginia, Montana

CUinNC
5/28/2007, 12:01 PM
47 outta 50...back in the days during summer college breaks we would drive some mean-*** Kenworths cross-country...

this was back when you could run single, pill-up & rake in the $$..

only one's I've missed outta that:
N Dakota
Maine
Vermont

Darn that was some good times, a lot of characters come to mind....then it was back to campus & training...

Sooner98
5/28/2007, 12:16 PM

http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates/statemap?visited=ALAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEM AMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNDOKORRISDTNTXUTVTVAWAWIWY

Still need to go to: MI, OH, WV, PA, NJ, MD, DE, NC, SC, AK, HI (and the D of C). After October, I'll get to cross off NC, SC, and WV.

Favorite places I've seen: several parts of Oregon (Crater Lake, the coast, the Cascades); Glacier National Park in Montana; Vermont/New Hampshire (in the fall); The Grand Canyon; the Florida Keys.

yermom
5/28/2007, 12:32 PM
i've been to around 30, and i think the place i most want to go back to is Portland, OR

that and i didn't get to hang out in DC long enough, you could spend days and days at the mall

StoopTroup
5/28/2007, 12:39 PM
I think around 30 of them...

Alaska has alluded me in my travels...

That is one I definitely wish to add to the list...

Salt City Sooner
5/28/2007, 01:43 PM
41 states + DC. Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, Michigan, Maine, South Carolina, Florida, Louisiana, & New Mexico are on my to do list.

Newbomb Turk
5/28/2007, 01:53 PM
I recommend Jackson Hole. The drive from there to West Yellowstone around the Jenny Lake area is amazing. I'm a big fan of National Parks.

I'll 2nd that. Yellowstone and the Tetons are beautiful.

sooneron
5/28/2007, 02:02 PM
http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates/statemap?visited=ALAZARCACOCTDCDEFLGAHIIDILINKSKYL AMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCOHOKORPARISCTNTXUTV TVAWAWVWIWY

trwxxa
5/28/2007, 02:07 PM
46. Not sure I will ever come up with an excuse to get to the Dakotas and Montana. I'll probably find a way to Hawaii someday.

homerSimpsonsBrain
5/28/2007, 02:28 PM
48. Haven't been to Oregon or Alaska

Frozen Sooner
5/28/2007, 02:49 PM
Alaska
Washington
Oregon
California
Idaho
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
Oklahoma
North Dakota
Wyoming
Montana
South Dakota
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Illinois
Arkansas
Tennessee
Florida
Washington DC
Virginia
Maryland
New York
Massachusetts

That's all I can remember having been. So 24 states and one federal district. Also, I've been to Costa Rica.

olevetonahill
5/28/2007, 03:35 PM
Been to most all of em . Except that handfull of little states up in the N/East corner , and Hawai

Sooner_Bob
5/28/2007, 05:41 PM
idaho

You da what? :P

Sooner_Bob
5/28/2007, 05:45 PM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1323/11024048ld1.gif

34 states

soonerboomer93
5/28/2007, 06:04 PM
31 http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates/statemap?visited=AZARCACOCTGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMON ENVNHNJNMNYOHOKPARITNTXWAWVWY

some just briefly
and I may have been to utah, I just was too young to remember (just like I know I lived in nevada, but was too young to remember)

Blue
5/28/2007, 06:26 PM
http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates/statemap?visited=ALAZARCACODCFLGAIDIAKSKYLAMDMSMOM TNVNJNMNYNCOHOKORPASCTNTXUTVAWAWVWY

Beautiful- Crater Lake, Oregon. Glacier Natl. Park, Montana. Northern California Coast. The Gulf Coast.

Hell hole- Ohio.

C&CDean
5/28/2007, 07:00 PM
"I've been everywhere man, I've been everywhere..."

Except North Dakota, Montana, & Vermont. The most beautiful state I've visted? Alaska. By far. It's like Mt. Hood, Mt. Rainier, and Mt. Shasta - on steroids. Couldn't live there though.

Favorite state? Oklahoma. By far. Pretty much couldn't live anywhere else. Favorite travel city? San Francisco, followed by San Diego and Chicago. Worse travel city? A toss up between Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles.

Best Italian food? New York City. Best Mexican? Tucson. Best Chinese? Chinatown in San Francisco. Best Greek? Detroit (although you can't beat the gyros at Greek House in Norman). Best BBQ? Memphis. Best seafood? Baltimore.

I've also been to Panama, Mexico, several Caribbean islands, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, and England. The only foreign places I still want to visit are Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia. No desire whatsoever to visit any Asian countries or Africa/Middle East.

jk the sooner fan
5/28/2007, 07:02 PM
i can confirm first hand that africa is not a place to visit for leisure........ethiopia specifically

C&CDean
5/28/2007, 07:06 PM
Heh. What do you call an Ethiopian with a yeast infection? Quarter-pounder......with cheese.

proud gonzo
5/28/2007, 07:07 PM
27 states
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3353/50909928kv5.gif (http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates/statemap?visited=ALARCACODCDEFLGAHIILIAKSKYLAMDMNM SMONENJNYOHOKPATNTXVA)
plus DC, England, France, and Greece

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/28/2007, 07:09 PM
I've visited 41. Haven't yet been to Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hampshire(has ANYONE been there?), Michigan, Nebraska, AK, HI, and North Dakota. I think of all those, Alaska is the only one I REALLY want to see.

jk the sooner fan
5/28/2007, 07:09 PM
i remember when we used to refer to our MRE's as "Meals rejected by Ethiopians"

CUinNC
5/28/2007, 07:22 PM
FWIW - Travel up the I-5 into the NW (from CA) was the best...those year-round mountain sights were the best...and that AK highway was the bomb.

Sooner98
5/28/2007, 07:34 PM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1323/11024048ld1.gif

34 states

I see you've been to Rhode Island, but none of it's adjacent states. That must have taken some motivation. :D

I remember on my New England trip 3 years ago, I drove across RI on I-95 in about 35 minutes. Didn't stop to see anything, just drove thru. Should I even include that as a state I've "visited"?

SanJoaquinSooner
5/28/2007, 07:50 PM
about 40.

California and New York (and DC) are my favorites for vacationing.

RiddlerOK
5/28/2007, 10:18 PM
So far, I have been in 32 states and Washington, DC. I have also travelled abroad to several countries, courtesy of the U.S. Navy.

California
Arizona
Nevada
New Mexico
Utah
Wyoming
Colorado
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa
Missouri
Illinois
Wisconsin
Arkansas
Indiana
Ohio
Tennessee
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Washington DC
Virginia
Maryland
New York
Massachusetts
Hawaii

After my family summer vacation In July, I will add Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Maine to the list.

Favorite places I have visited or driven through:

1. Grand Canyon- I am at a loss for words. Just go see the place and you will understand.
2. San Fransisco- Absolutely the most postcard-perfect and romantic city in the U.S. The vantage point above the north entrance to the Golden Gate bridge is unparalleled.
3. Hawaii- With the exception of central Honolulu, I love the islands
4. Boston- Love the historic ambience and the majority of the folks in Beantown wear their hearts on their sleeves.
5. San Diego- I also lived here for 4 years, mostly in Ocean Beach. I never knew how much I would miss living there as a single guy until I came back to Oklahoma.
6. Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Reno in the wintertime- If you've ever road-tripped to Reno during a snowstorm in January, you know what I am talking about.
7. Dana Point, CA on the PCH- Absolutely beautiful seaside location in Orange County. What a view you get when driving into town!
9. Chattanooga, TN- Anywhere along the Tennessee River and up into the Great Smoky Mountains, leading from here, is heaven. Absolutely beautiful country.
10. Seattle, WA- I wish I had made my way down to Oregon while I lived here. The Pacific northwest is very beautiful!

Places I didn't find too appealing:

1. Omaha, NE- The smell from the meat packing plants drifting toward Rosenblatt Stadium can be awful. Not a bad place to be, just a smelly place at times.
2. Buffalo, NY- Never liked this city, along with its ugly stepsister Cleveland, OH. Of course, the last time I was in either place was the late 70's. I can only imagine they have changed for the better.
3. South Central Los Angeles- Enough said on this subject when you are afraid to roll your car window down when driving through this part of the city.
4. I-35 between Topeka and Wichita, Kansas or I-80 between Reno, Nevada and Cheyenne, Wyoming- A veritable wasteland. Not much to see in these places. Honorable mention- Excluding El Paso, the vast expanse of nothingness that resides on Interstate 10 between Tucson, AZ and San Antonio, TX.
5. US 60 in Globe, AZ- What an eye opener. If you want to see real poverty in the U.S., just drive through here.

Suerreal
5/28/2007, 10:24 PM
39. Added one this year (Washington), as well as one more Canadian province (British Columbia)

OUAndy1807
5/28/2007, 10:29 PM
http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates/statemap?visited=ALAZARCACODCDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSLAM EMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYOHOKPASCTXUTVTVAWIWY

PhxSooner
5/28/2007, 10:36 PM
I've been to 34 states plus DC. All but OR, WA, MI, UT, and the Northeast.

I loved DC for all of the monuments and such, and North Carolina was just really pretty. We went to Asheville and toured the Biltmore, which was amazing. The Grand Canyon is beyond stunning. I'd like to go to the northeast and the upper east coast to see some Revolutionary War historical locales.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/28/2007, 10:48 PM
5. San Diego- I also lived here for 4 years, mostly in Ocean Beach. I never knew how much I would miss living there as a single guy until I came back to Oklahoma.

6. Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Reno in the wintertime- If you've ever road-tripped to Reno during a snowstorm in January, you know what I am talking about.

5. If I were young , I'd certainly try to establish my career in San Diego, if feasible.

6. I've traveled AMTRAK from Sac to Reno in the winter. Stunning!

5/28/2007, 11:01 PM
I'd say "a bunch."

SleestakSooner
5/28/2007, 11:58 PM
http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates/statemap?visited=ALAZARCODCDEFLGAIDILINKSKYLAMDMAM SMONVNJNMNYNCOHOKORPASCTNTXUTVAWAWVWI

Hmmmm that's 35 states plus I have been to Vancouver and Nova Scotia in Canada and the Bahamas and Cuba (GITMO) not to mention several countries in southern Europe. Never been where I always wanted to go and that is Australia/New Zealand and the South Pacific. Anyone need a deck hand on a yacht? ;)

skycat
5/29/2007, 12:12 AM
One left.

http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates/statemap?visited=ALAZARCACOCTDCDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSK YLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPARISCSDT NTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWY

Lots of favorite places, although in general I guess I like the western US better than the eastern US.

Shamrock
5/29/2007, 12:22 AM

I haven't been to those NE Yankee states above New York. Haven't been to Hawaii either.

stoopified
5/30/2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks to all for playing.Now you have REALLY done it,I have the absolute worse case of gypsy fever.BTW the term gypsy fever is not meant to be derogatory at all ,just means I feel the NEED to travel.

oklaclarinet
6/3/2007, 03:12 PM
Just got back from Hawai'i to push my list up to 47 plus DC. All I need now is Alaska, North Dakota, and Delaware.

Flagstaffsooner
6/3/2007, 03:41 PM
Michigan should count as two states. Mitten and running little animal on top of Wisconsin.

sooneron
6/3/2007, 04:06 PM
I've visited 41. Haven't yet been to Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hampshire(has ANYONE been there?), Michigan, Nebraska, AK, HI, and North Dakota. I think of all those, Alaska is the only one I REALLY want to see.
NH is one of the most beautiful in the contig 48, Vermont as well.

OUAndy1807
6/3/2007, 04:10 PM
New Hampshire is great. It was exactly what I always thought old New England would look like.

Vermont on the other hand is a beautiful place, but it's filled with weirdos.

Soonerfan88
6/3/2007, 04:44 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/stevilew/statemap.gif

Visited 27 + DC

Northern California & Oregon are very pretty. I also liked Arizona and parts of New Mexico.

I'm currently up in Kansas but Oklahoma will always be home and hopefully will be back there in about 5 years.

garland sooner
6/4/2007, 12:45 AM
I've been to Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, California, Oregon... and Puerto Rico (the unwritten 51st state).

Though i've only driven through 5 or 6 of them. they still count. hopefully when football season rolls around, i'll be able to add iowa to the list.

Harry Beanbag
6/4/2007, 06:46 AM
http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedStates/statemap?visited=ALAKAZARCACOCTDCFLGAHIIDILIAKSLAM DMAMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWY

41 plus DC.