PDA

View Full Version : Rain, rain go away...

Okla-homey
5/28/2007, 06:37 AM
come again some other day.

OKLAHOMA CITY — Heavy rains pounded central Oklahoma on Sunday, sending swollen rivers and creeks over their banks and stranding hundreds of campers who came for the holiday weekend at a popular park.

About 1,500 campers at Turner Falls Park near Davis were stuck with their vehicles Sunday after flash flooding forced the closure of the only road leading into the campgrounds, park manager Tom Graham said. No injuries were reported.

"One minute it was OK, and 20 minutes later a wave came through and caused us to shut it down," Graham said. "We started warning people yesterday evening that if they stayed, they may get flooded in."

It was possible for campers to get out on foot bridges, Graham said. A building inside the park was opened for rain-soaked campers to dry out, and the Red Cross delivered food and supplies.

The road could remain shut until Monday afternoon.

Nearby Madill recorded 4.2 inches of rain in a 24-hour period from Saturday evening to Sunday evening, said Chris Sohl, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Norman. More rain was expected overnight Sunday.

In south-central Oklahoma, one home was evacuated near Newport and roads were closed throughout the county, Carter County dispatcher Tiffany Atnip said. She said authorities also evacuated several campers near the Wa****a River.

In Lawton, authorities rescued several stranded motorists Sunday morning as floodwaters rose in that city, according to the Comanche County Emergency Management Office.

In Hutchinson, Kan., workers at the Hutchinson Zoo were trying to clean up from flooding late last week. The zoo has been closed since Thursday after more than 7 inches of rain fell Wednesday night and flooded a pond just outside the zoo. About 25 animals were evacuated.

Zoo personnel were using boats to get to bison congregating in a dry spot in their enclosure, zoo Director Charlotte Poepperling said. Workers were able to pump water from a birds of prey exhibit and the birds perched in dry areas.

The zoo's water-loving otters remained in their soggy exhibit, but staff had to wear rubber boots to reach them. A tunnel designed to give children a closer look at the zoo's prairie dogs was filled with water.

"I'm hoping that within a couple of weeks we can be back in business," Poepperling said.

In Killeen, Texas, two men whose vehicles were swept away by rising flood waters were presumed dead, which would bring the death toll from the flooding there to seven.

Edgar Garcia, 22, disappeared three days earlier near Fredricksburg when the current swept away his sport utility vehicle. Authorities suspended their search for 50-year-old Scottie Gjedrem late Saturday, saying there was nowhere left to search. Gjedrem was moving his friend's sports car Thursday night when water from a nearby swollen creek swept it away, Killeen police said.

Much of central Texas remained under a flash flood warning through Sunday night. Parts of north Texas were under a flash flood watch until Monday afternoon.

stoopified
5/28/2007, 07:07 AM
I don't feel so bad about thr rain in Kay County now.

BajaOklahoma
5/28/2007, 09:08 AM
I swear the Weather Service was predicting this was going to be a dry Spring and Summer.

Tailwind
5/28/2007, 09:35 AM
Please send it my way. I love rain.

Okla-homey
5/28/2007, 10:12 AM
Please send it my way. I love rain.

Listen young Missy,
1500 sweaty hillbillies stuck at Turner Falls ain't nothin' to wish for.
Especially b/c they were prolly out of beer after two hours, the park terlits got all backed-up and the youngun's was crying for a hot dog, bag of Doritos and a 16oz Big Red.<shivver>;)

Tailwind
5/28/2007, 10:24 AM
Ok, I just want the rain....y'all can keep the hillbillys.....I'll send em some hot dogs.

Okla-homey
5/28/2007, 10:46 AM
Ok, I just want the rain....y'all can keep the hillbillys.....I'll send em some hot dogs.

Good, because they go thru 'em pretty fast!

http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/17354/2002716232972963352_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002716232972963352)

Them terlit paper relays wear a feller out and they need sustenance.

http://aycu24.webshots.com/image/17183/2002769061941121445_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002769061941121445)

Tailwind
5/28/2007, 11:02 AM
Good lord! I best get to packin em up then. :D

bri
5/28/2007, 11:05 AM
Looks to me like they've got the "packin" covered. :eek:

BigRedJed
5/28/2007, 11:20 AM
If you think there's 1500 sweaty hillbillies at Turner Falls these days, you haven't been to Turner Falls lately, amigo.

Okla-homey
5/28/2007, 11:45 AM
If you think there's 1500 sweaty hillbillies at Turner Falls these days, you haven't been to Turner Falls lately, amigo.

Has it got all high-toned and uppity since I left Ard Vegas back in the day?

oilmud
5/28/2007, 11:55 AM

No kidding, I've got a feeling those 1500 inhabitants will have no problem swiming a swift river to safety.:pop:

slickdawg
5/28/2007, 11:57 AM
NO! RAIN RAIN STAY!!!!!

Our pond is still about 5 feet low. We've gotten 2" of rain in the last three days, and that's been enough to get the soil somewhat saturated. Now additional rain will be runoff and fill the pond back up.

BigRedJed
5/28/2007, 11:59 AM
Has it got all high-toned and uppity since I left Ard Vegas back in the day?
Nope.

BigRedJed
5/28/2007, 12:00 PM
It has not gotten uppity, amigo. &#191;Comprende?

Okla-homey
5/28/2007, 12:22 PM
It has not gotten uppity, amigo. ¿Comprende?

Okay. I think I get it. It has become a colony of messicans.

If that is so, how come the federales don't go busting in there, round 'em up and head 'em back to texass where they belong?;)

Sooner98
5/28/2007, 01:52 PM
http://aycu24.webshots.com/image/17183/2002769061941121445_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002769061941121445)

What the bloody hell? :eek:

Okla-homey
5/28/2007, 02:29 PM
What the bloody hell? :eek:

It's a toilet paper relay race. What is ya? Ignunt? ;)

The one in back runs fifteen yards with the plunger held between his thighs, get's "under center" and skewers his plunger handle in the one in front's toilet roll.

Then, the one on front releases his roll, takes the one in back's plunger with the roll still on it, slinging the plunger in an underhanded arc-like motion, thus tossing the roll to another hillbilly fifteen yds down field in front of him, while retaining the plunger.

That downfield hillbilly must catch the roll with his hands and place it between his legs.

If he doesn't catch it, he has to squat over it and pick it up with his knees in order to get into position to receive the plunger handle. That takes extra time and can easily result in getting passed by another team.

Then, the entire process repeats.

First relay team across the 100 yd goal line wins.

I think it was an exhibition event at the Olympics in Atlanta.

bri
5/28/2007, 03:06 PM
So, it's the 100 Meter Simulated *ssf*ck?

No, not gay at all. :D

1stTimeCaller
5/28/2007, 03:18 PM
what do you call that hawt chick's tattoos? Super Tramp Stamps?

Newbomb Turk
5/28/2007, 03:20 PM
what do you call that hawt chick's tattoos? Super Tramp Stamps?

heh - Super Tramp.

bri
5/28/2007, 03:22 PM
It's more like an ink shirt. :eek: