PDA

View Full Version : Flag display question

NYSooner1355
5/27/2007, 11:02 PM
I feel almost silly asking this considering I'm a military guy...but here goes:

Tomorrow (Memorial Day) the flag is supposed to be flown at half-staff until noon - then raised to full height, correct?

I have a flag that hangs at a 45 degree from my house - considering that I cannot put it at half-staff, is it proper protocol to wait until noon to display it?

Soonerus
5/27/2007, 11:04 PM
I think if you will do that, you will be safe...

1stTimeCaller
5/27/2007, 11:09 PM
I have no idea but I'd go with Russell's advice.

Also on a different tangent, aren't you supposed to raise the flag all the way up then lower it to half staff and then raise it all the up before you finally lower it?

Tulsa_Fireman
5/27/2007, 11:10 PM
Shootin' from the hip here, but I think I remember the Flag Code on this one.

Display the colors. Wave 'em proud from sun up to sunset (unless lit). When displaying the colors in that manner though, attach a black ribbon to the mast at the top eyelet of the flag. Considering you can't raise and lower, simply remove the black ribbon at noon.

That sound right, fellas?

olevetonahill
5/28/2007, 12:16 AM
Just Fly it PROUD
works for me .:cool:

Rogue
5/28/2007, 05:36 AM
I did some snooping for ya, OV. This site, http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette-display.shtml, is the only one I could find that addressed the angle-issue. Looks to me like you still fly it halfway.
From a Staff Projecting Horizontally or at an Angle
The flag may be projected from the window sill, balcony, or front of a building, with the union of the flag placed at the peak of the staff unless the flag is at half-staff.

jk the sooner fan
5/28/2007, 07:03 AM
Also on a different tangent, aren't you supposed to raise the flag all the way up then lower it to half staff and then raise it all the up before you finally lower it?

correct

StoopTroup
5/28/2007, 01:18 PM
I heard on the radio yesterday that someone pulled up a bunch of flags in Boston and put them in a public trashcan and set them ablaze...

Folks there are pretty ****ed off about it all...

One Vet asked that the person who did it refrain from such private burnings and just do it in front of them instead....

I think I'd like to be there when that happens...

Let the A$$-Kicking begin !