PDA

View Full Version : safety razors...

OUAndy1807
5/27/2007, 08:12 PM
I know we have some shaving geeks here. This one is for you:

I'm sick of spending tons of cash on replacement razors for my gillette razor and I'm thinking about getting an old school safety razor. Does anyone use one? If so, any tips on what to look out for? Are the blades pretty standard?

soonerboomer93
5/27/2007, 08:21 PM
GHP / Froze Signal

GottaHavePride
5/27/2007, 08:22 PM
You called? Yeah, I use one. the blades are all the same, more or less, but the ones you can get at Wal-Mart typically suck. If you order in bulk (there are some dealers on eBay that'll sell blades in lots of 100 for about $12) you can generally get much better blades.

Technique with a safety razor is a little different. You have to pay attention to the angle of the blade and the pressure you're using, but once you get used to it the resulting shave is a lot better.

The true geeks can recognize vintage Gillettes made 40 years ago and tell you how "aggressive" a shaver the razor is. I'm not that geeky. Anyway, I'd generally avoid eBay for the actual razors. Morons have driven prices on the good ones way higher than you need to pay.

http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/522941.htm

That site has a decent selection of new razors. The "hefty classic" is $30 and seems to work pretty well.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=126

this guy also carries them. Prices are about the same.

http://www.leesrazors.com/safetyRazors.htm

Same here. All those guys are pretty reliable.

GottaHavePride
5/27/2007, 08:27 PM
Oh, also: you'll notice a HUGE difference in your shave if you try usin a brush and a good soap or cream. The cheap way to do this is go to any Wal-Mart or drugstore, buy a $2 burma-shave brush and an 80-cent cake of Williams shaving soap. Put the soap in an old mug and hooray! The stuff works surprisingly well.

the next step up would be to find either Tom's Of Maine or Kiss My Face shaving cream at a store (you might have to track down a hippie organic food store to find it, but you might get lucky at Target). $4 for a tube and it works WAY better than the stuff in pressurized cans.

to step up to a nicer brush you might have to go into the $35 to $50 range for a badger-hair brush, although the quality is worth the price, IMO.

If you decide to give it a try let me know once you get started and I can PEEM you some information on other places you might want to get stuff, but that should cover enough to get you started on easily-accessible materials.

OUAndy1807
5/27/2007, 08:30 PM
can I just borrow your stuff for a couple of weeks?

GottaHavePride
5/27/2007, 08:31 PM
Oh, one other thing. A guy actually made a lot of videos and put them on youtube to help people get started.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=mantic59

Some of them are a bit corny, but he demonstrates using all this stuff pretty well.

GottaHavePride
5/27/2007, 08:32 PM
can I just borrow your stuff for a couple of weeks?

Actually, yeah, I have some spare stuff you could use to try it all out if you want. Let me know - I'm heading back to Wichita in the morning, but I'll be coming back next Sunday.

OUAndy1807
5/27/2007, 08:40 PM
can I borrow your toothbrush, too?

GottaHavePride
5/27/2007, 08:41 PM
Heh. Right now I only have one of those that I haven't used to clean something disgusting. ;)

1stTimeCaller
5/27/2007, 09:48 PM
I bought a soap thing and a brush. Do I put hot water into the mug with the soap cake at the bottom or do I just dip the bruch in the water and then put the wet brush on the soap to make a lather?

OUAndy1807
6/1/2007, 07:31 PM
I got one of these:
http://www.miehenkauppa.fi/images/merkur_futur_razor.jpg
merkur futur.

I just got done shaving for the first time with it. it's weird.

King Crimson
6/1/2007, 07:36 PM
the next step up would be to find either Tom's Of Maine or Kiss My Face shaving cream at a store (you might have to track down a hippie organic food store to find it, but you might get lucky at Target). $4 for a tube and it works WAY better than the stuff in pressurized cans.

King of Shaves is better than the hippie stuff.

GHP is right about the boar shaving brushes though. they are nice. i have one but i don't use it that much anymore.

Frozen Sooner
6/1/2007, 07:43 PM
Art of Shaving. Found at your better Nordstroms stores.

Shave after showering. Use a pre-shave oil. Let it soak into your beard for a few minutes. Lather with badger brush. Shave with grain using razor at a 30 degree angle to the skin. Keep skin as tight as possible while shaving, by the way. Rinse with hot water. Relather. Shave with grain. Rinse with hot water. Relather. Shave against the grain. Rinse with cold water.

Proper shaving technique:

Place safety bar against your skin, so the handle of the razor is perpindicular to your face. Lower handle to 60 degree angle (so blade is 30 degrees from face.) Use no pressure-just drag the razor against your skin. Pressure WILL CUT YOU.

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 07:45 PM
No need for Nordstroms

Art of Shaving has it's own stores

hurricane'bone
I love my stuff from The Art of Shaving.

I'll be buying a safety razor when I get some extra cash

Frozen Sooner
No need for Nordstroms

Art of Shaving has it's own stores

Yeah, but not here they don't.

OUAndy1807
6/1/2007, 08:07 PM
also, I was wrong, she got me the Merkur Vision:
http://www.classicshaving.com/i/Merkur/NewVisionPackage.jpg

Frozen Sooner
6/1/2007, 08:12 PM
Merkur makes good stuff.

Seriously, once you get shaving with a safety razor down, you'll be amazed at how smooth your face can be. In the last couple of months since I've started, I've gotten about five shaves where I just went "god DAMN that was a great shave." That gets more frequent as you start figuring out where the grain of your facial hair is going and how to not use pressure (seriously, DON'T USE ANY.)

My facial hair is nuts anyhow. I've got four or five different grains and it's tough as nails.

reevie
6/1/2007, 08:57 PM
I had no idea there were shaving geeks out. But I must say, I'm a little awed and impressed with GHP's lesson.

critical_phil
6/1/2007, 09:05 PM
mine came in the mail last week.

i damn near decapitated my chin the first couple of times.

Jimminy Crimson
6/1/2007, 09:42 PM
I always go in for a straight razor shave at The Art of Shaving when I'm in Vegas...

One of the better 'splurges' in Vegas. They also offer it at many of their larger stores around the country.

goingoneight
6/2/2007, 12:04 AM
Just grow it down to your ankles, you'll appreciate any shave you can get by that time. :D

NormanPride
6/2/2007, 01:01 AM
I have next to no facial hair. This seems like overkill for me.

garland sooner
6/2/2007, 01:04 AM
so does upkeep on shaving this way cheaper in the long run?

Frozen Sooner
6/2/2007, 03:05 AM
Maybe. Depends on what you consider cheaper in the long run and what kind of goo in a can you buy now.

Blades are cheap. Initial setup is spendy. Good shaving cream and oil will cost some money, but not that much more than goo in a can.

Czar Soonerov
6/2/2007, 03:16 AM
http://www.marijuana.it/images/barbasol.jpghttp://www.expresschemist.co.uk/pics/products/6015/0/bicclassic10.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
6/2/2007, 07:17 AM
I've been using the same Trac II razor for 35 years. I started using shaving soap/brush/mug about ten years ago.

TUSooner
6/2/2007, 02:52 PM
This thread screams for Dean.

http://www.marijuana.it/images/barbasol.jpghttp://www.expresschemist.co.uk/pics/products/6015/0/bicclassic10.jpg
That's about my speed, Czar. After more than 30 years of shaving, the romance is gone.
I usually use Dove soap and whatever kind of disposable razor the wimmin folk buy. They have good taste in razors and usually go for the softy-skin twin-blade stuff. Suits me fine.

Harry Beanbag
6/2/2007, 03:13 PM

That's about my speed, Czar. After more than 30 years of shaving, the romance is gone.
I usually use Dove soap and whatever kind of disposable razor the wimmin folk buy. They have good taste in razors and usually go for the softy-skin twin-blade stuff. Suits me fine.

No kidding. I absolutely detest having to shave my face before work. I don't see how spending 3x the money and 10x the time doing it would make it any better.

Okla-homey
6/2/2007, 03:19 PM

D00d,
Do you take one from the little cellophane thingy for yourself or do you grab the one the wife uses on her legs?

OUAndy1807
6/2/2007, 03:35 PM
No kidding. I absolutely detest having to shave my face before work. I don't see how spending 3x the money and 10x the time doing it would make it any better.
how about spending $30 once for a safety razor instead of $15 razor, then spending $12 for 100 blades instead of $15 for 5 blades for the rest of your life and spending the same amount of time shaving every day.

Harry Beanbag
6/2/2007, 03:44 PM
how about spending $30 once for a safety razor instead of $15 razor, then spending $12 for 100 blades instead of $15 for 5 blades for the rest of your life and spending the same amount of time shaving every day.

I spend about $2 a month and 5 minutes a day shaving, gets the job done just fine.

OUAndy1807
6/2/2007, 04:04 PM
I guess peachfuzz doesn't dull razor blades too quick?

;)

Zbird
6/2/2007, 05:13 PM

I was wondering where Dean was myself, and wondered if he was getting the same chuckles out of this that I was.

Personally, I always just sharpen -up the blade of my ol' Paul Bunyan double bitted axe by rubbing it on a rock, then I wipe the grease from a bear's intestine all over my face and neck and go ta choppin'. That's the way us real men do it....., Pilgrim. (add John Wayne voiceover here)

Frozen Sooner
6/2/2007, 05:16 PM
Er, you DO realize that shaving with oil and lather is the way that they did it back in the manly days, right?

def_lazer_fc
6/2/2007, 05:21 PM
just soak your face in some nair.

sanantoniosooner
6/2/2007, 05:29 PM
I'm thinking of buying a german import pair of tweezers.

Any help?

Frozen Sooner
6/2/2007, 05:59 PM
I'm thinking of buying a german import pair of tweezers.

Any help?

Even with the German ones, you're going to need a microscope to do to yourself what you're planning.

sanantoniosooner
6/2/2007, 10:17 PM
Even with the German ones, you're going to need a microscope to do to yourself what you're planning.
ah.......a thief always thinks everyone else is a thief.

Projection is a bad trait.

Frozen Sooner
6/2/2007, 10:42 PM
ah.......a thief always thinks everyone else is a thief.

Projection is a bad trait.

So is tweezer spankin', skippy.

sanantoniosooner
6/2/2007, 10:47 PM
Denial is right up there too, sport.

proud gonzo
6/2/2007, 10:48 PM
so does upkeep on shaving this way cheaper in the long run?probably so, thought it won't seem like it at first. and you'll get a much cleaner shave

TUSooner
6/2/2007, 11:14 PM
D00d,
Do you take one from the little cellophane thingy for yourself or do you grab the one the wife uses on her legs?
I definitely grab a new one of my own. One time in the shower I carelessly used one that had been used on leg stubble. Next time I want that sensation I'll just scrape my face with a bow saw. :(

Harry Beanbag
6/3/2007, 07:05 AM
probably so, thought it won't seem like it at first. and you'll get a much cleaner shave

I guess I just don't understand the fascination. I mean, you're just gonna have to shave again tomorrow so how good could it be? If I could shave one day and then not have to for another 4 or 5 days, I'd be all in for that.

proud gonzo
6/3/2007, 08:54 AM
well, you might be able to shave less frequently because it's a much cleaner shave.

not to give you TMI or anything, but I have a safety razor that I use on my legs and it lasts twice as long as a shave from a disposable razor.

Beef
6/3/2007, 09:37 AM
I'm glad I'm anti-hairy and only shave twice a week, even with a cheap disposable razor.

Frozen Sooner
6/3/2007, 11:35 AM
I guess I just don't understand the fascination. I mean, you're just gonna have to shave again tomorrow so how good could it be? If I could shave one day and then not have to for another 4 or 5 days, I'd be all in for that.

I typically do the full-blown shave once every three days or so, and just do a quick pass with an electric between. And I hair up quick.

TUSooner
6/3/2007, 12:59 PM

When I retire (God willing), I plan to throw away my razor. And I won't go to the barber often enough to be on a first-name basis, either.

GottaHavePride
6/3/2007, 03:09 PM
Heh. See, you probably hate shaving because it leaves your face irritated, the shave isn't that good, and you wind up with pretty frequent ingrown hairs, right? Using a safety razor, brush, and soap fixes all those problems once you learn how to do it right. And then shaving becomes your own little zen moment in the morning before you have to deal with screaming idiots for the rest of the day. ;) Actually, I find that my face is LESS irritated when I shave every day. When the hair gets longer the blade tends to drag more and cause irritation, at least for me.

Plus, as to the cost? Seriously, for a totally minimum setup I'm talking $2 for a brush from Wal-Mart, less than a dollar for the soap, find an old safety razor in your dad's old junk or in an antique shop, and you can order a box off 100 blades off the internet for $15. So, maybe $25 total. Each blade lasts about a week, so you're set on blades for two years. The cake of soap will last you around three months, and that's shaving every single day. The brush will last until it falls apart. So for about $30 you can shave for two years or so. I don't know about you, but two years worth of Mach 3 (or worse, Fusion) blades would cost three or four times that.

sanantoniosooner
6/3/2007, 03:17 PM
I usually only shave a few times a week because I'm lazy.

I have found that the Fusion 5 blade has worked awesome for me. The 4 blades don't struggle with the several days of growth and the single blade fits in tight places.

The blades last quite a while for me so I don't mind the expense. It shaves way closer than other's I've used.

BTW......I got it as a freebie. So my investment has been very little at this point.

GottaHavePride
6/3/2007, 03:20 PM
Hey, if it works for you, use it.

OUAndy1807
6/3/2007, 03:53 PM
I was talking to my buddy last night about this subject. I told him that I was sick of buying new blades all the time and he told me that a single mach 3 blade lasts him months. I must have some tough facial hair, because after the 3rd shave with mine it starts feeling like it's pulling out the hairs rather than cutting them.

so I guess it comes down to: guys with tough facial hair go the old school route, guys with p**** facial hair shave the same way they did in high school

;)

proud gonzo
6/3/2007, 04:18 PM
1 blade irritating your face is way better than 4 blades irritating your face...more frequently.

sanantoniosooner
6/3/2007, 05:19 PM
4 blades actually irritate me less than fewer. When you let the facial hair grow a little between shavings, the more blades seem to cut smoother and clog less.

All I can do is state personal experience, and the 4 works best for me.

garland sooner
6/3/2007, 11:52 PM
here's a question, how long of a stubble can one have until it's unprofessional? i shave every fourth day (like monday, thursday, etc.) because I have minimal stubble on the second day but it's definitely noticeable on the third day. I wait because the longer it is, the smoother the shave I get. I'm just curious because I'm interning this summer and I want to keep making a good impression until the summer's over.

Jimminy Crimson
6/4/2007, 03:14 AM
I'm just curious because I'm interning this summer and I want to keep making a good impression until the summer's over.

If you're trying to make a good impression, I'd go ahead and up it to every other day... or every day if you want to work for these people after you wear that funny black outfit.

soonerboomer93
6/4/2007, 03:24 AM
I work in a very relaxed environment, and I shave every weekday (we work saturdays, but I don't shave on it)

for the most part, clean shaven is the best rule when it comes to working...

Okla-homey
6/4/2007, 05:20 AM
here's a question, how long of a stubble can one have until it's unprofessional? i shave every fourth day (like monday, thursday, etc.) because I have minimal stubble on the second day but it's definitely noticeable on the third day. I wait because the longer it is, the smoother the shave I get. I'm just curious because I'm interning this summer and I want to keep making a good impression until the summer's over.

Its time to grow up Peter Pan and shave everyday like a real grown-up man.;)

SleestakSooner
6/4/2007, 06:02 AM
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/

This is a great forum for finding wet shaving techniques and learning how to do a proper wet shave.

I have personally been using the suggestion of using hair conditioner on my beard prior to shaving and it has helped a lot. Unfortunately I am one of those guys that needs to shave every single day or else risk giving road rash to the ladies when I kiss em.

TexasLidig8r
6/4/2007, 08:57 AM
Am going to try the safety razor route.

Have been using a badger brush and really good shave lotion for quite some time... (Malin + Goetz or Fresh)... but...

Mach 3 turbos have gotten stupid expensive. At Costco this past weekend.. a package of 16 blades for THIRTY FOUR BUCKS! I change the blades every Monday..

Finally, don't underestimate the value of a good face lotion after you shave as well.

Beef
6/4/2007, 09:34 AM
I wonder what the Mohammadens think of this discussion.
:les: INFIDELS!!!!!!

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 10:40 AM
Am going to try the safety razor route.

Have been using a badger brush and really good shave lotion for quite some time... (Malin + Goetz or Fresh)... but...

Mach 3 turbos have gotten stupid expensive. At Costco this past weekend.. a package of 16 blades for THIRTY FOUR BUCKS! I change the blades every Monday..

Finally, don't underestimate the value of a good face lotion after you shave as well.

Good point. I use Art of Shaving's Sandalwood lotion or Brave Soldier's Brave Face lotion.

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 10:40 AM
I wonder what the Mohammadens think of this discussion.

The same thing that Jews think?

olevetonahill
6/4/2007, 11:56 AM
Just do what I did
Quit shaving altogether :D
I got tire of scraping my face so I quit .

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 12:41 PM
Somewhere........right now..........there is a business starting up the will get rich selling some exotic dental floss and I could name the posters on this site that would buy in.

Jimminy Crimson
6/4/2007, 02:14 PM
Somewhere........right now..........there is a business starting up the will get rich selling some exotic dental floss and I could name the posters on this site that would buy in.

This is the finest hair from between a camels toes. It removes all traces of plaque! ;)

Mongo
6/4/2007, 02:16 PM
This is the finest hair from between a camels toes. It removes all traces of plaque! ;)

dont talk about camel toe hair, thats how Mjcpr got baned

IB4OU2
6/4/2007, 02:32 PM
Heh. Right now I only have one of those that I haven't used to clean something disgusting. ;)

Dean's Toenails?

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 02:35 PM

Yep.

The ones that keep buying the gimmick razors with four or five blade, most likely.

Harry Beanbag
6/4/2007, 04:36 PM
Heh. See, you probably hate shaving because it leaves your face irritated, the shave isn't that good, and you wind up with pretty frequent ingrown hairs, right?

No, it's fine, and no. I just hate it because I see it as being a waste of time, just a chore that needs to be done every day.

Plus, as to the cost? Seriously, for a totally minimum setup I'm talking $2 for a brush from Wal-Mart, less than a dollar for the soap, find an old safety razor in your dad's old junk or in an antique shop, and you can order a box off 100 blades off the internet for $15. So, maybe $25 total. Each blade lasts about a week, so you're set on blades for two years. The cake of soap will last you around three months, and that's shaving every single day. The brush will last until it falls apart. So for about $30 you can shave for two years or so. I don't know about you, but two years worth of Mach 3 (or worse, Fusion) blades would cost three or four times that.

I agree, those fancy cartridges are ridiculously expensive. I quit using my Sensor several years ago. Way expensive, clogged up a lot, and just left me underwhelmed with its performance.

I use an electric shaver that somebody gave me for Christmas a few years ago. And since those never get every hair, I cleanup the stragglers in the shower with a two-blade disposable razor that lasts a couple of weeks, depending on how many other areas I shave with it. ;) So shaving expenses for me are damn near nothing.

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 05:50 PM
Yep.

The ones that keep buying the gimmick razors with four or five blade, most likely.
If you have to use a catalog, website, or yuppie hang out to get it, you might as well get crocs, and apple, and a VW beetle.

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 06:00 PM
Sweet.

Wait, which product are you talking about? I've never had to buy any shaving product from any of those places.

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 06:02 PM
Why don't you list where you buy your stuff and we'll point out your area of denial.

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 06:04 PM
Um, Nordstroms?

Perhaps if you did a bit more of your shopping there, the wifey would be a bit more forthcoming with the secks.

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 06:05 PM
Hilarious.

Falls under yuppie.

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 06:06 PM
Whoop-forgot. The handle and assembly came from a place called "The Shaver Shop" which is a little hole in the wall that's been open for about 20 years. They specialize in electric shaver repair. That's where I get the blades, too. A 12 pack costs like $4.00

soonerboomer93
6/4/2007, 06:07 PM
maybe I'll go by the Art of Shaving store next time I'm in Denver. I came really close last time, but had to do Ralph Lauren and Tiffany and ended up forgetting about it..

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 06:09 PM
Hilarious.

Falls under yuppie.

Nordstroms is yuppie?

At the risk of sounding like an echo:

Hilarious.

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 06:13 PM
denial

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 06:18 PM
Fair enough. I guess we have differing views on what yuppie is. I won't deny I am a yuppie, but Nordtroms is hardly yuppie.

soonerboomer93
6/4/2007, 06:20 PM
yuppies don't shop in department stores, only at specialy stores...

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm getting at.

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 06:24 PM
Nordstroms kind of bridges the gap between the two.

A little upscale to just call them a department store.

proud gonzo
6/4/2007, 06:27 PM

A little upscale to just call them a department store.are you kidding me?

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 06:29 PM
gonzo.........it's pretty much understood that we disagree on everything.

I've grown to accept it.

proud gonzo
6/4/2007, 06:30 PM
gonzo.........it's pretty much understood that we disagree on everything.

I've grown to accept it.oh, i din't mind disagreewing with you. it's just in this instance you're wrong.

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 06:32 PM
Isn't that always the case when you disagree with someone?

proud gonzo
6/4/2007, 06:33 PM
no

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 06:35 PM
I guess you have some unique motivation to debate when you know you are wrong.

proud gonzo
6/4/2007, 06:44 PM
there's a difference between disagreeing with someone on the basis of an opinion and disagreeing on a basis of fact. the matter of whether a multi-blade disposable razor or a safety razor is better is opinion. but speaking in terms of facts and reality, i think it's retarded to say Nordstrom's is yuppie.

Jimminy Crimson
6/4/2007, 06:45 PM

A little upscale to just call them a department store.

I could understand if you were saying Saks or Neiman Marcus, but Nordstrom is pretty much your run of the mill department store.

soonerboomer93
6/4/2007, 06:46 PM
maybe wannabe yuppie...

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 06:55 PM
there's a difference between disagreeing with someone on the basis of an opinion and disagreeing on a basis of fact. the matter of whether a multi-blade disposable razor or a safety razor is better is opinion. but speaking in terms of facts and reality, i think it's retarded to say Nordstrom's is yuppie.
:)

proud gonzo
6/4/2007, 07:47 PM
:)excuse me for attempting to be diplomatic by not saying flat out that you're wrong and stupid. :rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 08:15 PM
I think the implication that I was retarded sufficed.

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 09:16 PM
To be fair, she never implied that you were retarded.

It was explicit.

proud gonzo
6/4/2007, 09:25 PM
I think the implication that I was retarded sufficed.then don't belittle my semantics

sanantoniosooner
6/4/2007, 10:08 PM
then don't belittle my semantics
irony at it's finest.

Is it personally offensive because you don't like it happening to you, or because it's your own personal technique;)

GottaHavePride
6/4/2007, 10:29 PM
Heh. How does Nordstrom's = yuppie? I was thinking about going to one to buy a suit one time and received the advice that the only people that buy suits from Nordstrom's are 80-year-old banker types. And that image is not the same thing as yuppies.

Yuppies shop at Armani Exchange and Hugo Boss. Not Nordstrom's.

sooneron
6/4/2007, 10:32 PM
I could understand if you were saying Saks or Neiman Marcus, but Nordstrom is pretty much your run of the mill department store.
The Nordstrom's down there must be lower rent, b/c up here, they carry Facconable and a LOT of upscale stuff.

sooneron
6/4/2007, 10:33 PM
Yuppies shop at Armani and Hugo Boss. Not Nordstrom's.
Fixed that for you

Hipsters shop at AX.

GottaHavePride
6/4/2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah, my mistake. I never go in any of those places, so I forget which is which.

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 10:52 PM
The Nordstrom's down there must be lower rent, b/c up here, they carry Facconable and a LOT of upscale stuff.

Nordstroms carries nice stuff, but it's not like it's HIGH HIGH end.

Jimminy Crimson
6/4/2007, 11:14 PM

What Froz said...

Mjcpr
6/5/2007, 08:40 AM
Who all got baned for name calling? ;)

TexasLidig8r
6/5/2007, 09:17 AM
Heh. How does Nordstrom's = yuppie? I was thinking about going to one to buy a suit one time and received the advice that the only people that buy suits from Nordstrom's are 80-year-old banker types. And that image is not the same thing as yuppies.

Yuppies shop at Armani Exchange and Hugo Boss. Not Nordstrom's.

80 year old banker types shop at Brooks Bros. "Here ya go sport, have this boxy suit with this shirt which has enough voluminous luxury that you can wear a suit of armor under it and no one will know." Harold's here in Dallas is much that way as well. "What? You want your suit tailored to bring some shape into the suitcoat? You want CLOSED VENTS? BLASPHEMY!"

I like Nordstrom brand shirts, suits from the Zegna store or Bernini's, casual clothes from just about anywhere.

Oh.. and where the hell has BigRedJed and Johnny Mack been on this thread?

Beef
6/5/2007, 09:40 AM
I like Brooks Bros. I guess that's the accountant in me. So throw in 30 something accountants in with the 80 yr old bankers.

Frozen Sooner
6/5/2007, 10:54 AM
Hey, I'm a 32-year-old banker and I own two suits from Nordstroms-a Hart Schaffner Marx and a Joseph Abboud 4-button. Hardly 80-year-old banker. :mad:

And I totally agree with Lid on BB. Their stuff is decent quality but VERY conservative.

One of the better lines from William Gibson's last novel was something to the effect of Tommy Hilfiger being a cheap knockoff of Ralph Lauren, which is a cheap knockoff of Brooks Brothers, which is a cheap knockoff of Savile Row bespoke.

Mjcpr
6/5/2007, 11:03 AM
One of the better lines from William Gibson's last novel was something to the effect of Tommy Hilfiger being a cheap knockoff of Ralph Lauren, which is a cheap knockoff of Brooks Brothers, which is a cheap knockoff of Savile Row bespoke.

I must really be po' because I thought TH was a'ight stuff. Daniel whatshisname's stuff must be along the lines of Wal Mart.

Frozen Sooner
6/5/2007, 11:09 AM
Well, realize that with Savile Row bespoke we're talking about a suit costing $2k+, so your starting point is kind of high. Tommy Hilfiger isn't bad stuff per se. If you don't mind looking like a billboard, that is. ;)

Mjcpr
6/5/2007, 11:11 AM
Tommy Hilfiger isn't bad stuff per se. If you don't mind looking like a billboard, that is. ;)

I guess I don't mind. I have some of his stuff and I like it, and I like the Daniel Cremieux stuff. I guess I'm not a fashion expert in my older years. :)

Frozen Sooner
6/5/2007, 11:15 AM
I don't know that I've ever heard of or seen Daniel Cremieux, so I can't comment.

I can say that there's probably a couple of TH shirts and at least one pair of TH jeans in my closet. There's a bunch of RL stuff, just because I like the way it fits-RL knows how to cut for a big fat dude. No BB stuff, and certainly no Savile Row stuff. There is a bunch of shirts from Jermyn street, which is kind of close to Savile Row, but those don't really count.

Mjcpr
6/5/2007, 11:17 AM
DC might be a Dillard's brand....that's the only place I've ever seen it.

Frozen Sooner
6/5/2007, 11:21 AM
A quick googling reveals that you're probably right-Dillard's and eBay are the only listings I saw for it.

Some of the department store house brands give you some pretty decent stuff.

Harry Beanbag
6/5/2007, 05:15 PM
I've bought exactly one item from a department store (not counting Kohl's) in the last 5 years.....a wallet.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 09:00 PM
Nordstroms carries nice stuff, but it's not like it's HIGH HIGH end.
Well, the one here is hella nice, they have a guy playing on a grand piano on the weekends and they carry a LOT of high end brands. This is a person with an extensive wardrobe speaking. Not the run of the mill SF rube.

sanantoniosooner
6/5/2007, 09:03 PM
It takes a true yuppie to look down on Nordstroms.

critical_phil
6/5/2007, 09:06 PM
fwiw, i am a run-of-the-mill SF rube.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 09:07 PM
fwiw, i am a run-of-the-mill SF rube.
we know

critical_phil
6/5/2007, 09:14 PM
we know

fyi, wal-mart has their cargo shorts on sale for $13.62

ywia.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 09:19 PM
I buy mine at Target. What's the use of yard wear costing more than 20 bucks? I NEVER enter wally world.

critical_phil
6/5/2007, 09:21 PM
i buy my yard work clothes at the thrift store. those $13.62 Sam's Choice shorts are my church shorts.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 09:21 PM
I thought you reserved your not so tattered cut offs for church.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 09:23 PM
Oh, and cargo shorts are OUT, ywia.

critical_phil
6/5/2007, 09:24 PM
Oh, and cargo shorts are OUT, ywia.

not until they wear out or i get to fat for them.

ywia.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 09:26 PM
Oh, so you're not "to" fat now? :D

Frozen Sooner
6/5/2007, 09:44 PM
Well, the one here is hella nice, they have a guy playing on a grand piano on the weekends and they carry a LOT of high end brands. This is a person with an extensive wardrobe speaking. Not the run of the mill SF rube.

Sullivan's has a jazz combo playing nightly. That don't mean they're making the Duncan Hines list or Zagat's anytime soon.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 09:46 PM
Once again, I guess it depends on the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
6/5/2007, 09:49 PM
See, and the thing is is that I'm not running either place down. I like both of them and frequent both of them. They are what they are.

soonerboomer93
6/5/2007, 09:55 PM
buy your cargo's from a sporting store in april

I paid $10 a pair for alpine design cargos..

sooneron
6/5/2007, 09:59 PM
buy your cargo's from a sporting store in april

I paid $10 a pair for alpine design cargos..
Do you really use all of those pockets?

Oh and just found out that I have a designer boutique Nordstroms that I was referring to in my area.

1stTimeCaller
6/5/2007, 10:00 PM
this thread is awesome. On many levels.

The middle managers are out in force trying out their class and sophistication.

;)

sooneron
6/5/2007, 10:05 PM
this thread is awesome. On many levels.

The middle managers are out in force trying out their class and sophistication.

;)
Uh, yeah, I'm middle management. OK.

1stTimeCaller
6/5/2007, 10:10 PM
the head fry guy is upper management. Who knew?

:D

sooneron
6/5/2007, 10:11 PM
says the guy in a trailer on a dusty piece of land

soonerboomer93
6/5/2007, 10:17 PM
Do you really use all of those pockets?

honestly, I don't use every single one, but I use the main cargo pockets regularly and sometimes the smaller ones.

1stTimeCaller
6/5/2007, 10:18 PM
:confused:

I hope your post made sense to you.

Mongo
6/5/2007, 10:18 PM

all the way to the bank:D

soonerboomer93
6/5/2007, 10:19 PM

heh, people underestimate how much money is in oil, even sitting in the trailer on the dusty piece of land...

sooneron
6/5/2007, 10:19 PM
The only thing I can think of putting in the big pockets is a flask, but it looks too obvious, so I go with the back pocket. I have a hard enough time remembering to get my **** out of 2-3 pockets before they go in the wash.

1stTimeCaller
6/5/2007, 10:25 PM
Hell, I was just clowning around. My trailer did gross me $1800 tax free last month. Don't dog the not-so-shaggin' wagon.

My boss is a middle manager. I can, however, afford to buy a stove/range at retail prices. :D

sooneron
6/5/2007, 10:26 PM
I hereby remove myself from the thread.
Unless, I want to learn how to shave the old timey way.

soonerboomer93
6/5/2007, 10:28 PM
I carry a front pocket wallet, 1 or 2 sets of keys, my smokes (not today, working on quitting), money clip, eye drops (at times), cell phone and digital camera. The standard pockets on cargo's are smaller then those on jeans and that's just a fair amount of **** to carry around.

1stTimeCaller
6/5/2007, 10:32 PM
a wallet and a money clip? Bruce, you sly dog you...

sooneron
6/5/2007, 10:34 PM
a wallet and a money clip? Bruce, you sly dog you...
I'm back.

I carry both, but I guess you could call the wallet more of a card holder thingy. And that 93 chick carries way too much stuff.

1stTimeCaller
6/5/2007, 10:36 PM
You mean a purse?

I'm still here. Still kidding around.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 10:47 PM
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7638/img1855vl3.jpg

Mongo
6/5/2007, 10:51 PM
nice pink phone there Princess:D

soonerboomer93
6/5/2007, 10:51 PM
Korean money is too big to fit properly in the fp wallet. I carry the wallet because I have to carry my registered alien card and license with me (amongst a couple other things)

I need the digital camera for work (and sometimes when I go out to the clubs). We're required to carry our cell phones with us. 1 set of keys is for the car, the other set is has office keys and most importantly the key to the fire safe that I store my passport and some other very important paperwork in. I would love to carry less ****, it's just I need to carry most of what I do.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 10:54 PM
nice pink phone there Princess:D
That be the motorola Fire!! and it aint pink!

Mongo
6/5/2007, 10:56 PM
Fire, you got that right you Flaming Queen

1stTimeCaller
6/5/2007, 10:56 PM
That phone's as red as Dean's pink hat. :dean:

sooneron
6/5/2007, 10:57 PM
you sure are projecting

sooneron
6/5/2007, 10:59 PM
and it's red

http://www.digitaltechnews.com/news/images/motorola_krzr_fire.jpg

sanantoniosooner
6/5/2007, 10:59 PM
I'm honestly surprised that it took a cell phone photo for homo accusations to finally crop up in this thread. :D

1stTimeCaller
6/5/2007, 11:01 PM
that one is. Yours is pink.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 11:06 PM
that one is. Yours is pink.
Sorry, they don't make the krzr in pink, you'll have to special order the skin for your's.

sanantoniosooner
6/5/2007, 11:06 PM
I may have to neg mongo for making ron cry. :D

Mongo
6/5/2007, 11:07 PM
relax sooneron, just giving you a hard time.

I bet it is hell matching those colors when you get your nails done

sooneron
6/5/2007, 11:08 PM
Suck it Mongo and keep your ankle biter clear of my daughter.

Mongo
6/5/2007, 11:09 PM

no problem with that, he is a serial flirt

sooneron
6/5/2007, 11:14 PM
I may have to neg mongo for making ron cry. :D
I may have to neg you for negging them. Meh, I'm too lazy to hit the second button down.

1stTimeCaller
6/5/2007, 11:15 PM

His kid is more likely to go shopping with her at that yuppie store that has a pianist. If you have a son, you should be worried...

sooneron
6/5/2007, 11:16 PM
His kid is more likely to go shopping with her at that yuppie store that has a pianist. If you have a son, you should be worried...
Zang!

Mongo
6/5/2007, 11:21 PM
1TC,when you actually touch a vagina, and Howzit's tucked unit doesnt count, then you are qualified to make judgement calls on who is gay.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 11:34 PM
1TC,when you actually touch a vagina, and Howzit's tucked unit doesnt count, then you are qualified to make judgement calls on who is gay.
Reverse ZanG!

sanantoniosooner
6/5/2007, 11:35 PM
My view of Nordstroms may be skewed by the particular one I've been in.

It's across from UTSA and is mostly full of rick people and yuppie college student.

Apparently some of you have shopped at stores in the slums.

sanantoniosooner
6/5/2007, 11:36 PM
Mongo is just mad cuz Howzit didn't tuck it for him.

Mongo
6/5/2007, 11:43 PM
Mongo is just mad cuz Howzit didn't tuck it for him.

But he did wrap it around his scrote to make it look like a bacon wrapped filet mignon

soonerboomer93
6/6/2007, 12:00 AM
oh, i'm swearing off bacon now..

SoonerGirl06
6/6/2007, 12:13 AM
Good Lord! This place is almost as bad as Queer Eye for the Straight Guy... All it needs now is a post from SicEm.

soonerboomer93
6/6/2007, 12:19 AM
sicem wants you to be his intern, is that close?

SoonerGirl06
6/6/2007, 12:29 AM
sicem wants you to be his intern, is that close?

Are you posing as SicEm now... cause if you are, you still don't have a chance.

;)

soonerboomer93
6/6/2007, 12:42 AM
no worries, your eyes are too round for me ;)

SoonerGirl06
6/6/2007, 12:47 AM
I'm sorry... I think you've mistaken me for someone who's interested. ;)

soonerboomer93
6/6/2007, 12:53 AM
oh, now you're just being mean ;)

SoonerGirl06
6/6/2007, 12:55 AM
You're right... I should never have compared you to SicEm. My apologies. :D

SicEmBaylor
6/6/2007, 01:15 AM
:-(
Onion of Sadness.

soonerboomer93
6/6/2007, 01:34 AM
heh

TexasLidig8r
6/6/2007, 09:12 AM
That phone's as red as Dean's pink hat. :dean:

I thought you were the one with the pink hat.. posted pictures on here and everything! :D

Back to topic... walked past the Art of Shaving last night in the Galleria. Smokin' hot blonde working there.. had to go in and talk some. I asked her if she used any of the shaving products. She gives that sly smile, just a trace of pink in the cheeks and slyly says, "well.. our products ARE the best."

Mjcpr
6/6/2007, 09:13 AM
I thought you were the one with the pink hat.. posted pictures on here and everything! :D

Back to topic... walked past the Art of Shaving last night in the Galleria. Smokin' hot blonde working there.. had to go in and talk some. I asked her if she used any of the shaving products. She gives that sly smile, just a trace of pink in the cheeks and slyly says, "well.. our products ARE the best."
Followed by "say, aren't you a friend of my grandfather?"

NormanPride
6/6/2007, 10:19 AM
We need a smiley for "Oh, SNAP!"

OUAndy1807
8/1/2007, 11:04 PM
so, I had been doing pretty good lately, then 2 shaves ago I had about a 5 nicks, then just now I sliced the **** out of my face. it's not deep, but I'm wondering if it's going to stop bleeding by tomorrow morning.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2007, 11:05 PM
Replace the blade.

proud gonzo
8/2/2007, 12:58 AM
put some salt on it. That should slow the bleeding.

OUAndy1807
8/2/2007, 06:36 AM
it was only the second time with the blade. I just need to be more careful.

OUinFLA
8/2/2007, 06:57 AM
Im surprised no one has mentioned the need for this:
http://www.cachebeauty.com/wholsale/images/styptic_pencil.jpg

or this:
http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pictures/standard/sjoj3641.jpg

or in Lid's case, this:

http://www.chas.org/images/pics24.jpg

sanantoniosooner
8/2/2007, 07:41 AM
perhaps "safety" razor is a misnomer.

Turd_Ferguson
8/2/2007, 07:50 AM
or maybe an oxymoron.

TexasLidig8r
8/2/2007, 08:40 AM
so, I had been doing pretty good lately, then 2 shaves ago I had about a 5 nicks, then just now I sliced the **** out of my face. it's not deep, but I'm wondering if it's going to stop bleeding by tomorrow morning.

First.. what in the Sam Hill are you doing shaving at 11 o'clock at night?

Second.. don't worry.. those things usually stop bleeding after about 4 days or so. ;)

proud gonzo
8/2/2007, 12:00 PM
perhaps "safety" razor is a misnomer.uh, not in comparison to a straight razor

sanantoniosooner
8/2/2007, 05:45 PM
uh, not in comparison to a straight razor
Well a .22 rifle is safe compared to a 30-30 but they don't call it a "safety rifle"

GottaHavePride
8/2/2007, 07:05 PM
I actually nicked myself less often learning to use a straight razor than a safety razor. either one of the two beat the crap out of multi-blade razors.

OUAndy1807
8/2/2007, 07:10 PM
I'll tell you the greatest thing about using an old-school razor: the way my Skin Bracer aftershave stings when you're done.

sanantoniosooner
8/2/2007, 07:28 PM
Amazingly I don't nick myself at all with my multi blade razor.

Turd_Ferguson
8/2/2007, 07:45 PM
Nor I.

Harry Beanbag
8/2/2007, 11:17 PM
I do about once a month, but I heal fairly quickly.

GottaHavePride
8/3/2007, 09:14 AM
I don't nick myself with them, but the shave is crap. Way more ingrown hairs. As in, a lot more than zero.

OUDoc
8/3/2007, 09:24 AM
Bear Grylls says you can stuff spider webs in the cut.

I knew that would come in handy some day.

OUinFLA
8/3/2007, 09:56 AM
Bear Grylls says you can stuff spider webs in the cut.

I knew that would come in handy some day.

Yet another expensive medical education shows it's worth.