PDA

View Full Version : So I'm thinking of buying a bass boat...

AggieTool
5/26/2007, 09:22 PM
Any suggestions?

StoopTroup
5/26/2007, 09:32 PM
Yes....

Make sure you know what this is for....

http://247marine.com/shop/images/Snap%20Drain%20Plugs.jpg

GottaHavePride
5/26/2007, 09:33 PM
http://www.3rednecktenors.com/images/Redneck_boat.jpg

AggieTool
5/26/2007, 09:40 PM
Yes....

Make sure you know what this is for....

http://247marine.com/shop/images/Snap%20Drain%20Plugs.jpg

You mean like Sean Penn in LA after Katrina?:O

AggieTool
5/26/2007, 09:41 PM
http://www.3rednecktenors.com/images/Redneck_boat.jpg
;):D

olevetonahill
5/27/2007, 02:12 AM
Ive got one for sale .
It was only used By a little Old lady on Sunday tournaments
:D

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2007, 05:58 AM
Ive got one for sale .
It was only used By a little Old lady on Sunday tournaments
:DYeah, the USS Natty Can.
http://www.brookston.org/beer/wp-content/beerpix/can-regatta-3.jpg

LoyalFan
5/28/2007, 01:06 AM
Ahem...

Any suggestions?

Yep,
I'm an experienced basser and have spent a LOT of time on the casting deck and behind the wheel. Not kidding here.
First, budgetary restrictions considered, you need to identify your primary waters...small impoundment, "inland sea" (See: Amistad, etc.) This helps determine boat size, power, etc, which, in turn dictates minimal tow vehicle requirements...your Yugo will NOT suffice.
Second, will you be fishing tourneys, even if only at club level? Remember that the the secretive clique sometimes called "The Tournament Site Selection Committee" may schedule one for a monster lake during the windiest week of the year.
We'd fill up the page if we tried to do it all here, so why not PM me and we'll arrange to chat?

Just as a teaser...best in rough water, excellent quality? Think ChampioN (Large "N" is correct.)
Speed? Exotica? Think Blazer, Stroker, Bullet, Allison, FastCat (Catamaran hull) I say "No" to those, can explain later.)
Best customer service by established maker, and excellent design and execution? BassCat. Dorky thunderbolt on side, cannot order without.
Best newcomer on the block, great in all respects? Legend. The Alpha Series is splendid.
Best promoted, but not so great as price would indicate, still a fine boat? Triton.
Best defunct companies, still great used boats? Cobra, BumbleBee, Cajun, HydraSports (still make boats, but saltwater only.)
Most overrated, living on reputation, overpriced? Ranger.
Best "Starter" boat, much-maligned, sucky dealers (Tracker, BassProShops), but pretty good boats in recent times? Nitro
Good ones: Skeeter, Stratos ( Stratos; Lotta boat for the money, well made, good design.)
"Tin" boats...will beat you senseless, except Tracker Avalanche. Only if all you can afford.
Motors? All great in their way, any can explode for no apparent reason.
If possible, avoid carbed or EFI motors (gas hogs) and try to go with DFI. Not a fan of four-strokes at all...heavy, thirsty, but silent. Stick with two-strokers.
Trailers? Try to buy open rail, closed rail "Tube" trailers more vulnerable to rust.
Two wheel trailer or tandem (four wheel)? Tandem gives you a better chance of getting there and back. A bitch to maneuver by human power.
Two wheel usually easy to wrestle into garage when unhitched, but a flat on either side and...have a spare!
Trollmotor? Both MotorGuide and Minn-Kota good. Loyal followings and haters about equal. MK has a lift assist system that is nice, whereas MG has a digital series that is super. Even on 17 footers, opt for 24v foot-control, 80 lb+ thrust, and buy best batteries and an on-board charger...Best batts? Optima.
If you MUST buy a boat 21' long (see: heavy, as in Skeeter ZX250 or 21-IClass) you might want a 36v system, three $$$ batteries, plus engine battery, of course.
Above all, study and practice safety, safety, safety.
Take boating ed. course.
NO alcohol in boat or driver.
NEVER start motor w/o Kill Switch attached to driver.
Always wear approved PFD...always.
Assure same for passenger(s).
NO alcohol
NO alcohol
NO G-DAMNED ALCOHOL!!!

Think gas prices. A lot of boats are gonna sit idle.

Think in terms of taking delivery AFTER school starts again, and then trying to learn the ropes when the lake lice are fewer in number. (See: Jetskis)
Also, those stupid asses in "wake boats" make life miserable AND dangerous too. Oughta be outlawed or restricted to certain areas...and then shot.
Then there's the beer bellies (some female) whooping it up on pontoon "party" boats...Jeebus!
A busy lake, and some drivers blitzed, is no place to learn. Also, get someone KNOWN for skills to teach you to drive a rig AND tow, launch, recover it.

LF

PS: NO ALCOHOL!!!

olevetonahill
5/28/2007, 01:44 AM
You lost my vote when you said
" NO ALCHOHOL "

LoyalFan
5/28/2007, 01:48 AM
You lost my vote when you said
" NO ALCHOHOL "

And you lost mine when you couldn't even spell "alcohol". Sorta proves my point, does it not?

LF
Another Old Vet.

olevetonahill
5/28/2007, 01:53 AM
And you lost mine when you couldn't even spell "alcohol". Sorta proves my point, does it not?

LF
Another Old Vet.
Hey spell check said it was right . :mad:
Then I went back :D

Jerk
5/28/2007, 07:11 AM
Drinking and boating is an Oklahoma tradition! What the HELL, man? Are you a commie? Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, I think we have a real pinko in our clan here.

OUinFLA
5/28/2007, 08:14 AM
Drinking and boating is an Oklahoma tradition! What the HELL, man? Are you a commie? Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, I think we have a real pinko in our clan here.

I kinda used to agree. Back when I could put a boat on Lake Texoma and on a busy weekend see maybe 15 other boats. Most of which were powered by 35-50 hp motors. A 100 hp was HUGE and rare. Plus, there was never an unending string of cars on the highway or trailered boats at the boat ramp.

Nowdays, I dont even think of taking my boat out on weekends. If I feel the urge, I just take my lawn chair and go to the boat ramp about 4pm and enjoy the show.

And there is no alcohol in me ever when I boat, or drive.

LF has given you some great advice, you should pay attention. I would only add that for a "starter outer", you might consider buying used, but only slightly used. A bunch of people think the greatest thing in the world is a new 20K boat (and it is sweet); however, within a few months, the new wears off, life's obligations begin to take their toll on spare time, and the boat sits idle in the yard for a year or more without moving. All the while the insurance bill keeps ticking, the spousal resentment keeps building, you get tired of moving the boat to mow under it, and it goes up for sale.

And nowdays, there are a LOT of boats sitting idle due to the price of gas. I have a very economical 4 stroke on my 21 footer, I can go 40mph with it, and it's mileage is ONLY about 4mpg. A normal day covers about 40 miles of running for me, but I have many ramps to put me near where I want to fish. Plus, it is a 100 mile round trip to put my boat in the bay, and my truck drops from 16mpg to 13mpg when Im towing.

If you think you take a hit on a new car as far as depreciation goes, wait until you see what happens with used boats. A two year old boat is lucky to bring 50% of what it cost new. This is aided by the big boat companies like Bombardier, Brunswick, Genmar, and Tracker who are putting out boats by the thousands under different names. Then providing "extra easy" financing to get you into your first boat (15 year loans are not uncommon).

Just for fun someday, try boattraderonline.com and see what 15 year old boats are going for.

My advice: go to boattraderonline.com, figure out what you really think you would like, see what 2-3 year old boats are selling for, finace it at your bank for no more than 4 years, check inside the hull real carefully for wiring issues, dirty bilges, electronics that work, have a marine mechanic check out the motor, and start your boating experience there.

If you decide you really like it after a year or two, trade up, you wont lose near as much money. (You WILL lose money). By then, you will know what you want and you will be much better prepared to seek out the boat of your dreams.

Now, to be honest, I buy new boats nowdays.

First, I want an absolute dependable rig when I spend an hour getting it ready, and an hour to trailer it to the bay.

Second, I'm pretty anal about caring for my boat. I always accept help in cleaning it after use, and then send my guests home so I can clean it the way I want. Then it gets stored inside a garage for all it's life with me. My 4-5 year old boats have looked like new when I sold them. (and still lost my a** on the boat)

Third, I can afford to buy a new boat when I want it.

Fourth, I know what I want, and I know Im going to use it enough to justify the new price.

The other good reason to buy a used boat is you can find what you want with all the electronics and gear you need to operate it fully. A new boat doesn't usually come with all the stuff you will want. Depth finder - $200 to $2000 (I just paid $2K for my new one), trolling motor - $200 - $1000, life jackets, cushions, cooler, flares, safety equipment, trolling motor batteries, bimini top, vhf radio, fm radio, rod holders, bait well timers, spare tire, etc, etc, etc. You can easily add $2-3 grand to the price of the boat, and you wont usually find that "easy entry" financiing avaialble for those add on items.

These items sometimes come with the "packaged" boats, but you will still find other things you want/need that are not there. A used boat owner has already been through all that and thinks that tossing in all the equipment he no longer will need makes his boat more valuable. IT DOESN"T ! All it does is make it more attractive to buy than one of the thousands of others that are available out there.

Good luck.

Oh, and DONT DRINK and BOAT/DRIVE !
too many idiots on the water (remember, you dont have to take a course or have a driver's license to operate a boat) and that's a shame.

LoyalFan
5/28/2007, 08:34 AM

LF has given you some great advice, you should pay attention...bunch of people think the greatest thing in the world is a NEW 20K BOAT (and it is sweet);

My advice: go to boattraderonline.com, figure out what you really think you would like, see what 2-3 year old boats are selling for, finace it at your bank for no more than 4 years, check inside the hull real carefully for wiring issues, dirty bilges, electronics that work, have a marine mechanic check out the motor, and start your boating experience there.

If you decide you really like it after a year or two, trade up, you wont lose near as much money. (You WILL lose money). By then, you will know what you want and you will be much better prepared to seek out the boat of your dreams.

Good luck.

too many idiots on the water (remember, you dont have to take a course or have a driver's license to operate a boat) and that's a shame.

Fla,
Thanks for the back-up! I hope it takes.
But, there is no such thing as a 20K new boat anymore, except for some tin boats and the starter boat (glass) newly introduced by Stratos. The good stuff runs 35-55K new.
So, you are right in advising our friend to look for a gently used boat that sold new for 35K and up, hopefully with some engine warranty remaining, and having thoroughly checked out by a CERTIFIED mech.
While I don't advise him to "go all the way" unless he's got money to burn, I DO feel he'd be well-served to find a 3-5 yr-old rig in the 19' class. A ChampioN 193 or 198 would be ideal. Further, I recommend buying a boat with the maximum rated HP engine. That alone will enhance his chance of reselling later on, and at a better price. There are others out there, and maybe we can offer opinions on such boats are found BEFORE he pulls the trigger.
Let's do what we can for him.

LF

PS to Jerk...if you drink and drive, especially on the water, you've earned the nickname! Please, neither do so or preach that philosophy to others.
I DO loves me some Maker's Mark or a Tanq.Ten 'Tini AFTER the rig is high and dry, but I have not the right to endanger others, be they in a boat I'm driving or in another. Right?

OUinFLA
5/28/2007, 08:45 AM
LF, your PM box is full.
Ive got some info for you.

stoopified
5/28/2007, 08:51 AM
you don't need to buy a bass boat.Them fish can swim. :D

Jerk
5/28/2007, 08:59 AM
uh, i was joking, and i didnt think i'd need to say so.

AggieTool
5/28/2007, 11:19 AM
Ahem...

Yep,
I'm an experienced basser and have spent a LOT of time on the casting deck and behind the wheel. Not kidding here.
First, budgetary restrictions considered, you need to identify your primary waters...small impoundment, "inland sea" (See: Amistad, etc.) This helps determine boat size, power, etc, which, in turn dictates minimal tow vehicle requirements...your Yugo will NOT suffice.
Second, will you be fishing tourneys, even if only at club level? Remember that the the secretive clique sometimes called "The Tournament Site Selection Committee" may schedule one for a monster lake during the windiest week of the year.
We'd fill up the page if we tried to do it all here, so why not PM me and we'll arrange to chat?

Just as a teaser...best in rough water, excellent quality? Think ChampioN (Large "N" is correct.)
Speed? Exotica? Think Blazer, Stroker, Bullet, Allison, FastCat (Catamaran hull) I say "No" to those, can explain later.)
Best customer service by established maker, and excellent design and execution? BassCat. Dorky thunderbolt on side, cannot order without.
Best newcomer on the block, great in all respects? Legend. The Alpha Series is splendid.
Best promoted, but not so great as price would indicate, still a fine boat? Triton.
Best defunct companies, still great used boats? Cobra, BumbleBee, Cajun, HydraSports (still make boats, but saltwater only.)
Most overrated, living on reputation, overpriced? Ranger.
Best "Starter" boat, much-maligned, sucky dealers (Tracker, BassProShops), but pretty good boats in recent times? Nitro
Good ones: Skeeter, Stratos ( Stratos; Lotta boat for the money, well made, good design.)
"Tin" boats...will beat you senseless, except Tracker Avalanche. Only if all you can afford.
Motors? All great in their way, any can explode for no apparent reason.
If possible, avoid carbed or EFI motors (gas hogs) and try to go with DFI. Not a fan of four-strokes at all...heavy, thirsty, but silent. Stick with two-strokers.
Trailers? Try to buy open rail, closed rail "Tube" trailers more vulnerable to rust.
Two wheel trailer or tandem (four wheel)? Tandem gives you a better chance of getting there and back. A bitch to maneuver by human power.
Two wheel usually easy to wrestle into garage when unhitched, but a flat on either side and...have a spare!
Trollmotor? Both MotorGuide and Minn-Kota good. Loyal followings and haters about equal. MK has a lift assist system that is nice, whereas MG has a digital series that is super. Even on 17 footers, opt for 24v foot-control, 80 lb+ thrust, and buy best batteries and an on-board charger...Best batts? Optima.
If you MUST buy a boat 21' long (see: heavy, as in Skeeter ZX250 or 21-IClass) you might want a 36v system, three $$$ batteries, plus engine battery, of course.
Above all, study and practice safety, safety, safety.
Take boating ed. course.
NO alcohol in boat or driver.
NEVER start motor w/o Kill Switch attached to driver.
Always wear approved PFD...always.
Assure same for passenger(s).
NO alcohol
NO alcohol
NO G-DAMNED ALCOHOL!!!

Think gas prices. A lot of boats are gonna sit idle.

Think in terms of taking delivery AFTER school starts again, and then trying to learn the ropes when the lake lice are fewer in number. (See: Jetskis)
Also, those stupid asses in "wake boats" make life miserable AND dangerous too. Oughta be outlawed or restricted to certain areas...and then shot.
Then there's the beer bellies (some female) whooping it up on pontoon "party" boats...Jeebus!
A busy lake, and some drivers blitzed, is no place to learn. Also, get someone KNOWN for skills to teach you to drive a rig AND tow, launch, recover it.

LF

Wow!

Lots o info to digest here. When I get closer to pulling the trigger, I may PM you.

On that note, how have you traditionally purchased your boats?

100% financing, partial down, cash?

Since I don't want to eat the off-the-lot depreciation which is about 30%-50%, I'll be buying "newly-used" more than likely.

Problem is, you can't get 0% financing on used, so I may just have to pay cash.

AggieTool
5/28/2007, 11:26 AM
I kinda used to agree. Back when I could put a boat on Lake Texoma and on a busy weekend see maybe 15 other boats. Most of which were powered by 35-50 hp motors. A 100 hp was HUGE and rare. Plus, there was never an unending string of cars on the highway or trailered boats at the boat ramp.

Nowdays, I dont even think of taking my boat out on weekends. If I feel the urge, I just take my lawn chair and go to the boat ramp about 4pm and enjoy the show.

LF has given you some great advice, you should pay attention. I would only add that for a "starter outer", you might consider buying used, but only slightly used. A bunch of people think the greatest thing in the world is a new 20K boat (and it is sweet); however, within a few months, the new wears off, life's obligations begin to take their toll on spare time, and the boat sits idle in the yard for a year or more without moving. All the while the insurance bill keeps ticking, the spousal resentment keeps building, you get tired of moving the boat to mow under it, and it goes up for sale.

And nowdays, there are a LOT of boats sitting idle due to the price of gas. I have a very economical 4 stroke on my 21 footer, I can go 40mph with it, and it's mileage is ONLY about 4mpg. A normal day covers about 40 miles of running for me, but I have many ramps to put me near where I want to fish. Plus, it is a 100 mile round trip to put my boat in the bay, and my truck drops from 16mpg to 13mpg when Im towing.

If you think you take a hit on a new car as far as depreciation goes, wait until you see what happens with used boats. A two year old boat is lucky to bring 50% of what it cost new. This is aided by the big boat companies like Bombardier, Brunswick, Genmar, and Tracker who are putting out boats by the thousands under different names. Then providing "extra easy" financing to get you into your first boat (15 year loans are not uncommon).

Just for fun someday, try boattraderonline.com and see what 15 year old boats are going for.

First, I want an absolute dependable rig when I spend an hour getting it ready, and an hour to trailer it to the bay.

Second, I'm pretty anal about caring for my boat. I always accept help in cleaning it after use, and then send my guests home so I can clean it the way I want. Then it gets stored inside a garage for all it's life with me. My 4-5 year old boats have looked like new when I sold them. (and still lost my a** on the boat)

Third, I can afford to buy a new boat when I want it.

Fourth, I know what I want, and I know Im going to use it enough to justify the new price.

The other good reason to buy a used boat is you can find what you want with all the electronics and gear you need to operate it fully. A new boat doesn't usually come with all the stuff you will want. Depth finder - $200 to $2000 (I just paid $2K for my new one), trolling motor - $200 - $1000, life jackets, cushions, cooler, flares, safety equipment, trolling motor batteries, bimini top, vhf radio, fm radio, rod holders, bait well timers, spare tire, etc, etc, etc. You can easily add $2-3 grand to the price of the boat, and you wont usually find that "easy entry" financiing avaialble for those add on items.

These items sometimes come with the "packaged" boats, but you will still find other things you want/need that are not there. A used boat owner has already been through all that and thinks that tossing in all the equipment he no longer will need makes his boat more valuable. IT DOESN"T ! All it does is make it more attractive to buy than one of the thousands of others that are available out there.

Good luck.

More good info! Thanks.

Yeah, I know about the depreciation thing. In fact, the only boats I'm aware of that hold their value are Boston Whalers, and they don't make bass boats...(man..if they did;) )

Slightly used is the way to go fer shure.

StoopTroup
5/28/2007, 12:49 PM
You can probably use your trailer as collateral and get a better rate on the boat loan.

C&CDean
5/28/2007, 01:29 PM
LF's advice is pretty good. So is OUinFLA's. I'll add my own.

I personally own a 20' Astro (same think as a ProCraft). I have the FSX-20, which is a fish/ski combination. If all you're ever going to do is fish, then follow the advice you've already been given. If you ever plan on using the boat for pleasure/tubing/skiing/wakeboarding/etc., but still need all the bells & whistles of a bass boat, a fish/ski combo is the way to go.

I've got dual live wells, 24V trolling motor, good flat fishing decks, depth sounder, fish finder, etc. I've got a 200 horse Mercury, and I agree with LF about the 2-stroke. Noisier and smokier, but a hell of a lot quicker than a 4-stroke. My boat will do well over 70 mph with just me on board, and will run 65 all day long loaded with people/gear.

I personally like to buy new boats/truck/cars because I tend to keep them for a long time. I hate buying somebody elses ****. I bought my boat new in 1992 for about $19K, and other than a little fading and a few scratches, it's in the same shape it was the day I bought it. To go buy a new 20' fish/ski rig similarly equipped would probably cost me almost $30K today.

Also, if you wanna keep your **** like new, make sure you have somewhere to store the boat indoors. Even with a cover, your boat will take a hell of a beating from the sun/elements if it's parked outside.

Good luck.

LoyalFan
5/28/2007, 03:47 PM
Wow!

Lots o info to digest here. When I get closer to pulling the trigger, I may PM you.

On that note, how have you traditionally purchased your boats?

100% financing, partial down, cash?

Since I don't want to eat the off-the-lot depreciation which is about 30%-50%, I'll be buying "newly-used" more than likely.

Problem is, you can't get 0% financing on used, so I may just have to pay cash.

Well, to be honest, I never actually paid for one.
Y'see, I had a sponsor when I was "on the road", and he furnished the boat, truck, and expenses. I also had use of a tackle dealer's new rig in exchange for guiding folks to enhance the rep of the store.
Now, I have five buds who all have nice boats; Nitro, Skeeter, Bullet, BassCat, Skeeter tin boat, who make sure I fish once a week at the minimum.
But, I will say this. PLEASE put so large a down payment as possible and finance for the shortest period possible. The same applies to cars and trucks.
If you fall prey to "Zero Down! Five Hundred Years To Pay!" you'll be "upside down", owing more than the rig is worth from Day One.
Besides paying for the boat several times over...interest...if the boat is swiped, destroyed, or you have to sell, you'll be in deep pewp.

Good luck, go slow, don't buy on impulse.

LF

LoyalFan
5/28/2007, 03:49 PM
LF, your PM box is full.
Ive got some info for you.

Box cleared! Sorry!

LF

AggieTool
5/28/2007, 05:13 PM
Well, to be honest, I never actually paid for one.
Y'see, I had a sponsor when I was "on the road", and he furnished the boat, truck, and expenses. I also had use of a tackle dealer's new rig in exchange for guiding folks to enhance the rep of the store.
Now, I have five buds who all have nice boats; Nitro, Skeeter, Bullet, BassCat, Skeeter tin boat, who make sure I fish once a week at the minimum.
But, I will say this. PLEASE put so large a down payment as possible and finance for the shortest period possible. The same applies to cars and trucks.
If you fall prey to "Zero Down! Five Hundred Years To Pay!" you'll be "upside down", owing more than the rig is worth from Day One.
Besides paying for the boat several times over...interest...if the boat is swiped, destroyed, or you have to sell, you'll be in deep pewp.

Good luck, go slow, don't buy on impulse.

LF

I assume "on the road" means the tourney circuit.

Cool!!!!

Hopefully you won some good $$$ along the way.

Agreed on the financing stuff, but I hope I didn't confuse 0% financing with 0% down.

0% financing is the only way to go if offered. It's basically an interest free loan. Not too common anymore now that the economy is back up to speed.:(

LoyalFan
5/29/2007, 12:06 AM
I assume "on the road" means the tourney circuit.

Cool!!!!

Hopefully you won some good $$$ along the way.

Agreed on the financing stuff, but I hope I didn't confuse 0% financing with 0% down.

0% financing is the only way to go if offered. It's basically an interest free loan. Not too common anymore now that the economy is back up to speed.:(

Ooops! I did misspeak re percentages.

Well, the dealio was that a very wealthy guy with two nearly outta-college sons, sorta liked my style re hunting and fishing. So, he offered to provide it all in exchange for my teaching him and sons to catch bass and for taking big-dollar business contacts out when they were in town.
This worked well for about eighteen months until I just flat burned out.
I left SA for a tournament somewhere in de deep Souf, heading east on IH10. From the time I reached Schulenburg until I was an hour from the target I was driving, white-knuckled and puckered, in rain.
When I got to the spot, the humidity was so bad I had to chew the air before I could inhale it.
The practice period was OK, with really nice "observers/amateurs" in the back seat. The first two day of the tourney, ditto. But, on the third day, I drew a foulmouthed redneck, overweight and smelly, who spattered 'bakky juice all over a near-new boat and told of his prowess in the bedroom, corncrib, tractor shed, etc, with "wimmin who know better than to disappoint me."
Upon departing the weigh-in, check and plaque in hand, I drove to a carwash to uncover the boat's original color, from the console back.
I needn't have bothered 'cause, one hour west of the lake, my old friend RAIN awaited me and I was in it all the way back until, you guessed it... Schulenburg.
When I got to SA I had my lady follow me to my benefactor's plant, parked the rig, offloaded all my gear, walked inside and handed him the keys. I kept the modest check, tossed that plaque and several other similar awards in the nearest dumpster, and didn't fish for bass for two years.
I did teach him and one son to be proficient and safe boaters, gave casting seminars in his huge pool, and did some fishing for seatrout and reds around Rockport TX, but NO bassing.
When I "came out of retirement", I did so on a 200+ acre lake that allowed NO gas engines used save for emergencies, fishing from a bellyboat made in OKC. Finally, I got back into it all and was once again zipping about lakes in a fleet of nice rigs...one from another "Sponsor" and three or four others who left their boats at our lake house at Medina, but NO tourneys.

God Bless Jimmy "HeeHee" Houston!

LF

olevetonahill
5/29/2007, 12:25 AM
So Loyal
ur saying If I want to get drunk and go pishing youll help me ?:D

LoyalFan
5/29/2007, 05:26 AM
So Loyal
ur saying If I want to get drunk and go pishing youll help me ?:D

I'm thinking Article 15 here, but there is the possibility of an upgrade.

But...I'll happily share adult beverages with you, OV, but ONLY after the boat is on the trailer, the reel drags loosened, or the guns are wiped down and cased for the night, and the coyotes are ready to serenade us.

LF
Straight Arrow

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 10:48 AM
Ooops! I did misspeak re percentages.

Well, the dealio was that a very wealthy guy with two nearly outta-college sons, sorta liked my style re hunting and fishing. So, he offered to provide it all in exchange for my teaching him and sons to catch bass and for taking big-dollar business contacts out when they were in town.
This worked well for about eighteen months until I just flat burned out.
I left SA for a tournament somewhere in de deep Souf, heading east on IH10. From the time I reached Schulenburg until I was an hour from the target I was driving, white-knuckled and puckered, in rain.
When I got to the spot, the humidity was so bad I had to chew the air before I could inhale it.
The practice period was OK, with really nice "observers/amateurs" in the back seat. The first two day of the tourney, ditto. But, on the third day, I drew a foulmouthed redneck, overweight and smelly, who spattered 'bakky juice all over a near-new boat and told of his prowess in the bedroom, corncrib, tractor shed, etc, with "wimmin who know better than to disappoint me."
Upon departing the weigh-in, check and plaque in hand, I drove to a carwash to uncover the boat's original color, from the console back.
I needn't have bothered 'cause, one hour west of the lake, my old friend RAIN awaited me and I was in it all the way back until, you guessed it... Schulenburg.
When I got to SA I had my lady follow me to my benefactor's plant, parked the rig, offloaded all my gear, walked inside and handed him the keys. I kept the modest check, tossed that plaque and several other similar awards in the nearest dumpster, and didn't fish for bass for two years.
I did teach him and one son to be proficient and safe boaters, gave casting seminars in his huge pool, and did some fishing for seatrout and reds around Rockport TX, but NO bassing.
When I "came out of retirement", I did so on a 200+ acre lake that allowed NO gas engines used save for emergencies, fishing from a bellyboat made in OKC. Finally, I got back into it all and was once again zipping about lakes in a fleet of nice rigs...one from another "Sponsor" and three or four others who left their boats at our lake house at Medina, but NO tourneys.

God Bless Jimmy "HeeHee" Houston!

LF

Wow!

What a saga! Worthy of a Norse tome I would say.:)

I don't think I would be too interested using other's boats, even if offered via "sponsorship". I kind of have this thing about only using/operating property that I own. Renting cars while on travel is about the most I'll do. Although the savings in insurance, upkeep, and storage costs would be nice.

Taxman71
5/29/2007, 04:34 PM
It's been said over and over, but is true: the two best days in a man's life is the day he buys a boat....and the day he sells it.

Hamhock
5/29/2007, 04:56 PM
Dave Ramsey says: Only buy a bassboat if you can pay cash. :texan:

Taxman71
5/29/2007, 05:04 PM
Like someone said above, buy a used boat, preferably for cash, and see how often you use it in a summer, year or whatever the cycle is for what you will use it (fish, ski, party cove). If it gets alot of use, upgrade. If not, take your loss as a cheap lesson.

I know several people who bought a boat solely for recreation (no fishing) who could have saved a ton of $$ by merely renting a boat for those days/weekends when they went to the lake. No insurance, tax, storage fees, depreciation, etc.

Even better, find a buddy with a nice boat and pitch in for gas. As a bonus, you can drink on the lake while he drives.

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 06:02 PM
Dave Ramsey says: Only buy a bassboat if you can pay cash. :texan:

He would also buy used and let the original owner eat the depreciation.

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 06:06 PM
Like someone said above, buy a used boat, preferably for cash, and see how often you use it in a summer, year or whatever the cycle is for what you will use it (fish, ski, party cove). If it gets alot of use, upgrade. If not, take your loss as a cheap lesson.

I know several people who bought a boat solely for recreation (no fishing) who could have saved a ton of $$ by merely renting a boat for those days/weekends when they went to the lake. No insurance, tax, storage fees, depreciation, etc.

Even better, find a buddy with a nice boat and pitch in for gas. As a bonus, you can drink on the lake while he drives.

Yeah used is they way to go fer sher.

As far as finding a buddy with a boat, that's nice too, but I prefer to "captain my own ship" as it were. I don't really like depending on the charity of others.

Even if we split the gas, it still "his" boat and I would be obligated to treat is as such, out of respect.

I would be more relaxed in my own chunk of fiberglass.:)

Boarder
5/29/2007, 09:44 PM

If you don't mean ONLY the stupid ones in those boats then go get a trot line somewhere, redneck all-star rod jockey. Otherwise, I agree. :D

Contrary to popular belief, this is completely correct. You can actually have a great time at the lake and never have alcohol on the boat. Crazy, I know.