PDA

View Full Version : I'm never flying coach on Int'l flights again!

Cam
5/26/2007, 02:32 AM
So I'm sitting in the JAL 1st class lounge in Tokyo after my 12 hour flight from Chicago. Business class kicks major ***. I am never going to fly coach out of the country again. It's worth every freaking penny.

Seeing the JAL gals jump off their chairs like somebody stuck a cow rod up their asses when I walked thru the door was funny as hell.

I haven't slept yet, and don't think I will. Left OKC at 9am Friday morning and don't get to Manila until 10pm and don't want to be wide awake when it's time to crash. I'm freaking exhausted.

soonerboomer93
5/26/2007, 02:41 AM
welcome to my world :D

it's about 24 hours I spend between flights and layovers when I go back and forth

and yes, it is worth it to fly business

goingoneight
5/26/2007, 02:44 AM
I don't fly coach anyway. I know some people say I waste the extra cash, but inevitably everytime I went the cheap route, I ended up next to...

1. Someone who was too big for coach seats
2. Someone who smells horrendous
3. Someone who acts like it's a crime to look out the window
4. Someone who acts like I'm bothering them when I always keep to myself (except for about ten minute before landing, I peek over to see what's outside my window once or twice)
5. Someone who wants to tell me their life story, and inevitably ends up laying over on the plane with me, so there's no break from them.

First class, they always seem to fall asleep or keep to themselves. And at least you know they can all afford deodorant.

Cam
5/26/2007, 03:02 AM
it's about 24 hours I spend between flights and layovers when I go back and forth
I've got 6 more hours to go.

Chuck Bao
5/26/2007, 03:29 AM
You bunch of wussies! Get over yourselves.

I've been doing cross Pacific flights at least twice a year for 20 years on coach.

- signed Mr. drunk, smelly, wanna hear my life story and keep that damn window shade down type of guy. ;)

Cam
5/26/2007, 03:48 AM
You bunch of wussies! Get over yourselves.

I've been doing cross Pacific flights at least twice a year for 20 years on coach.

- signed Mr. drunk, smelly, wanna hear my life story and keep that damn window shade down type of guy. ;)
Hey, somebody's got to keep up the stereo type. :D

soonerboomer93
5/26/2007, 03:51 AM
**** no, I refuse to fly 12+ hours in coach, espeically when my company will pay business

that, and it's really handy since I fly out of denver. I get to use the international business checkin and not spend 40 minutes in line with the lower people. Actually since I'm elite that doesn't matter as much now. I also get lounge access, and when I make it to incheon for my 6 hour layover, they check me in right away and don't make me wait for 3 hours like they do the normal peeps :D

Cam
5/26/2007, 03:56 AM
Waiting for check in sucked in OKC yesterday. Some gal waited in line for over an hour starting at 7 in the morning to get on stand by for a 2:30 flight. When I heard her telling the counter lady what she wanted I wanted to bitch slap her. She was on her cell phone most of the time in line, too bad she didn't use that time with an American Airlines reservation agent.

Oh, free beer RMFO.

The best part is with this trip alone, I become a platinum member for a while. Not sure how that worked out, but I'll take it.

stoopified
5/26/2007, 07:18 AM
**** no, I refuse to fly 12+ hours in coach, espeically when my company will pay business

that, and it's really handy since I fly out of denver. I get to use the international business checkin and not spend 40 minutes in line with the lower people. Actually since I'm elite that doesn't matter as much now. I also get lounge access, and when I make it to incheon for my 6 hour layover, they check me in right away and don't make me wait for 3 hours like they do the normal peeps :D
Does this mean you are abnormal? :D

Newbomb Turk
5/26/2007, 08:08 AM
that flight to Tokyo sucks - especially when you have another leg of a trip to fly. I agree on the business class - it's worth it.

SoonerStormchaser
5/26/2007, 09:54 AM
Gawd...I haven't been to Tokyo in fifteen years...TAKE ME WITH YOU!

usmc-sooner
5/26/2007, 10:46 AM
I'm flying first class
up in the sky
in a jet plane
way up high

If you aint got no money take your broke *** home

OklahomaTuba
5/26/2007, 10:51 AM
I just flew back from singapore to tulsa this week all in coach. Helps when the plane isn't very full! But yes, coach sucks ***. My company won't spring for business class for some reason.

usmc-sooner
5/26/2007, 10:52 AM
try it on a C-130 then bitch about coach.

GrapevineSooner
5/26/2007, 11:10 AM
At least you're in another country when you land. :mad:

I haven't flown out of the country in 9 years.

OklahomaTuba
5/26/2007, 11:54 AM

Now now, don't get me started on the beer and wine selections in coach.

;)

OklahomaTuba
5/26/2007, 11:58 AM
I flew on Singapore Airlines during this trip, and they kept advertising this:
http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/singapore-business-class-new.jpg

I sure didn't see any seats like that on the plane.

StoopTroup
5/26/2007, 02:18 PM
Is that seat called "The Singapore Sling"?

You could have sex on that thing!

Sooner_Bob
5/26/2007, 07:24 PM
Sheesh, flying from Salt Lake to Anchorage is enough for me. I couldn't imagine flying to Tokyo.

soonerboomer93
5/26/2007, 07:42 PM
I flew on Singapore Airlines during this trip, and they kept advertising this:
http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/singapore-business-class-new.jpg

I sure didn't see any seats like that on the plane.

that's on their new 777 and 787's as i recall, older ones will get them when they get refitted

Shamrock
5/29/2007, 12:17 AM

I did a C-141 from Travis AFB to Dhahran in '91. That was a LONG flight ....

afs
5/29/2007, 01:30 AM
the only carrier i mind flying int'l coach is Korean Air. unfortunetly my employer doesn't spring for business so i've sampled them all. i think the wife and i are going to spring for business on our upcoming Seoul - Atlanta and Dulles - Seoul flights. 14 straight hours baby!

soonerboomer93
5/29/2007, 02:16 AM
Business class on Asiana is better then business class on United

although row 1 on United is great

goodonya
5/29/2007, 07:46 AM
Notwithstanding usmc-sooner's remarks (he's right) I can report that I spent 9-years flying in excess of 400K actual air miles each year. It's not just a job it's a lifestyle that often is in conflict with the home life. I reckon I got as savvy as anyone could with respect to the travel but it got very old after about 7-years.

Traveling out of Houston you can get most places on one leg and virtually anywhere in two using Continental, BA or KLM.

Finally, after a 3-year search I have a comfy job with NO AIRLINE STATUS WHATSOEVER! I happily stand in the long tourist lines now; in fact I'm the cheeriest guy in the line. I see the road warriors deplaning and really have a great deal of sympathy for them. The most distasteful part of the travel towards the end really revolved around the parking situations at the airports. It is a disaster unless you really get into the off-airport parking which I did not.

Petro-Sooner
5/29/2007, 09:07 AM
So lets review. Faster check-in, free beer, larger seats. What else does business class have to offer? Never flown business class. I've only flown a hand full of times anyway. If and when I fly next time I may opt for this option. Having long legs sucks when flying. I need leg room.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/29/2007, 09:30 AM
So I'm sitting in the JAL 1st class lounge in Tokyo after my 12 hour flight from Chicago. Business class kicks major ***. I am never going to fly coach out of the country again. It's worth every freaking penny.

Seeing the JAL gals jump off their chairs like somebody stuck a cow rod up their asses when I walked thru the door was funny as hell.

Now you understand what I get to do often. Continental BF is the best. B and BF has spoiled me rotten. Can't think of an int'l trip in coach ever again...
Get to try the BA Business pods and lie flat seats this weekend, Lovely trip to Nigeria...

OklahomaTuba
5/29/2007, 01:27 PM
Get to try the BA Business pods and lie flat seats this weekend, Lovely trip to Nigeria...

Well, at least you know what the good news and bad is about this trip.

As for me, if the boss ever says book your airfare to Africa, I will probably just ignore him, or book something to another side of the planet and blame the airline.

proud gonzo
5/29/2007, 01:41 PM
i almost posted a thread saying the exact same thing. 11 hours in coach sucks major ***.

OklahomaTuba
5/29/2007, 02:18 PM
My favorite part of flying to Tokyo on American, is that about 7 hours into the trip they start trying to feed people Sushi.

Now I am pretty sure I didn't see a sushi chef working in the back or anything.