PDA

View Full Version : Chantix-Quit Smoking Medicine

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/25/2007, 02:26 PM
So a month or so ago OUDoc mentioned on here that he prescribes Chantix to his patients who want to quit smoking. The next day I was going to mention it to my mom. That night when I opened her medicine cabinet to get a Tylenol, I saw that she already had started the medicine.

I'm so proud of her. She's now been smoke free for three weeks!

Now I have a few relatives who dip and I was wondering if it worked for dippers too. Anyone know?

Mjcpr
5/25/2007, 02:28 PM
Mrs Mj began taking it this morning.

What did it do for your mom........cut the craving or what?

Hamhock
5/25/2007, 02:31 PM

copenahagen?

sooner_born_1960
Keep us posted on how it works with Mrs. Mjcpr's dipping.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred

What did it do for your mom........cut the craving or what?She said she no longer even wants to smoke. She's had fleeting thoughts, but that was only after we drank a few margaritas the other night.

In the past when she quit, she really obsessed over it. This time it has blocked her from really wanting a cigarette.

sooner_born_1960
5/25/2007, 02:32 PM
dammit.

crawfish
5/25/2007, 02:51 PM
Keep us posted on how it works with Mrs. Mjcpr's dipping.

Waitaminnit...Mrs Mjcpr? Pat's a lesbian?

Blue
5/25/2007, 05:16 PM
congrats! Did she really want to quit?

It really had no effect but negatives on me. Worked for my dad for awhile though until he stopped taking it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/26/2007, 12:25 PM
congrats! Did she really want to quit?

It really had no effect but negatives on me. Worked for my dad for awhile though until he stopped taking it.Yeah, she's wanted to quit for a long time but anytime she tried, it didn't happen.

Tailwind
5/26/2007, 12:48 PM
Hoe expensive is it? Does insurance cover it?

Mjcpr
5/26/2007, 01:30 PM
Hoe expensive is it? Does insurance cover it?

On Mrs Mj's drug coverge, it was $50.....there is no generic.

Tailwind
5/26/2007, 01:37 PM
Dang....but if it really works, it's worth it.

Rogue
5/26/2007, 05:54 PM
I've heard some success stories and some of Blue's variety with "negative effects." What are they?

Ike
2/6/2008, 02:21 PM
So I started taking this stuff this week.

So far, I still want to smoke. I call that OK, since the doc said I was supposed to smoke during the first week anyway and then quit as I start the second week.

Mrs. Ike already quit on this stuff a month ago.

So far, no bad symptoms, unless the cold that I'm coming down with can be attributed to the medicine, but I don't think it can be.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/6/2008, 02:39 PM
You can do eet!!
This week marks 9 months smoke free for my Mom. My uncle has been 6 months dip free after using it.

soonerinabilene
2/6/2008, 02:42 PM
There has recently been a link between the drug and suicidal urges.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21904774/

Rhino
2/6/2008, 02:46 PM
Be careful taking this stuff, it can cause some psychiatric problems (http://www.brewcaster.com/2008/02/chantix.html) in some people.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/6/2008, 02:48 PM
There has recently been a link between the drug and suicidal urges.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21904774/

It also said that dude's BAC was three times the legal limit.

All I know is that I have family members who have had good success. To be fair though, I've known a few people who had weird side effects so quit using it. I also had a father who died from smoking-induced lung cancer. It makes me wonder if the drug would have been beneficial to him.

Ike
2/6/2008, 02:53 PM
Be careful taking this stuff, it can cause some psychiatric problems (http://www.brewcaster.com/2008/02/chantix.html) in some people.

I had those to begin with, so I'm probably OK.

;)

olevetonahill
2/6/2008, 02:54 PM
I quit on Jan 1st, No meds Nuttin just my desire to breath easier and save the Bucks . well Over 400 bucks Just on cigs so far.
Course Ive gained about 20 lbs :(
Good luck to all quitters

Ike
2/6/2008, 02:57 PM
I quit on Jan 1st, No meds Nuttin just my desire to breath easier and save the Bucks . well Over 400 bucks Just on cigs so far.
Course Ive gained about 20 lbs :(
Good luck to all quitters

This is about the 6th time I've tried quitting. One of those was using the patch, the rest were 'cold turkey'...I went back every time. I'm willing to give this a shot. Thus far in my life, I haven't really had any negative effects from smoking, other than the fact that I smell like smoke often. I want to quit before the bad effects start kicking in.

olevetonahill
2/6/2008, 03:04 PM
Good Luck bro . I tried quittin so many times . Used the patch , used the welbutrin thing .Sunflower seeds. lemon drops . Just about anything I could try . . I was sittin at home just befor New years and was Bout out . I said Crap, I had to get dressed go to town and buy me some .
I had Noticed I was making some strange noise when I was trying to sleep . . Got to thinkin , Im gonna quit . So I bot 2 packs ans said these are gonna last me till the 1st . woke up On the 1st threw the last few away and Havent had a prob .
2 things i think that got my attention , The weezing , and the Bucks
I go to the store 1nce a week or so Now fer beer .:D