PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen: We may be rendered useless soon....

StoopTroup
5/25/2007, 12:49 PM
Here's a little blog to brighten up your day...

Who Needs Males, Anyway? (http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/labnotes/archive/2007/05/24/who-needs-males-anyway.aspx)

A certain famous virgin birth 2,000-some years ago notwithstanding, parthenogenesis in mammals is not in the cards. Mammalian genes don’t just merge in a fertilized egg and carry on. Instead, at least 100 genes in both sperm and eggs are turned off. But it’s never the same gene; if dad’s is a dud, mom’s takes up the slack, and vice versa. But obviously that doesn’t portend well for parthenogenesis. If you merge the DNA in two eggs, you’ll still have too many deactivated genes to produce a viable offspring. Some truly bizarre laboratory manipulations have gotten around this—scientists in Japan managed to disable to genetic “off” switches in a mouse egg, so all of the maternal genes were working, producing mice without a father in 2004. But don’t expect the technique to come to a fertility clinic near you anytime soon.

sooner_born_1960
5/25/2007, 01:10 PM
It's more of a fun thing, and not so much a procreation thing around my house.

yermom
5/25/2007, 01:11 PM
yeah, and who would move stuff and kill spiders? :D

OUinFLA
5/25/2007, 01:16 PM
I was rendered useless shortly after I said "I do".

Widescreen
5/25/2007, 01:32 PM
IIRC, this process would only yield females. And of course we all know the downside for that: No more football. :mad:

MamaMia
5/25/2007, 01:37 PM
IIRC, this process would only yield females. And of course we all know the downside for that: No more football. :mad:
We would still give birth to enough guys to empty the trash, kill the spiders, have sex with, and play football for us and stuff. ;)

crawfish
5/25/2007, 01:46 PM
Technically, we may not need females at some point, either. Once we can clone and generate eggs in a lab.

The race is on!!! :D

mxATVracer10
5/25/2007, 03:23 PM
Technically, we may not need females at some point, either. Once we can clone and generate eggs in a lab.

The race is on!!! :D

THIS is the gheyest thing I've evar heard! ;)

Widescreen
5/25/2007, 03:24 PM
Craw strives to be the best at everything he does.

crawfish
5/25/2007, 03:29 PM

O brave new world! ;)

toast
5/25/2007, 03:56 PM
I'll get concerned when my wife learns to unclog a toilet.

Jerk
5/25/2007, 04:35 PM
I'll get concerned when my wife can open a jar.

The lady next door got divorced so now I open her jars too.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TURN TO THE LEFT!!

TheUnnamedSooner
5/25/2007, 05:17 PM
I'll get concerned when my wife can open a jar.

The lady next door got divorced so now I open her jars too.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TURN TO THE LEFT!!

So, what is this "opening jars" you speak of? I know if I was "opening my recently divorced neighbors jar", my wife wouldn't be too happy.

Widescreen
5/25/2007, 06:43 PM
"Opening her jar" is a euphemism.

ric311
5/25/2007, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure I've ever been of any use to begin with. I'm ahead of the curve on this one.

WOOT!!!

Jerk
5/25/2007, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure I've ever been of any use to begin with. I'm ahead of the curve on this one.

WOOT!!!
Come on, slacker! Get married, get divorced, she gets the better half of all possessions, you get the shaft, you pay child support for kids you see 4 days a month, you pay alimony. What is so hard about this?