PDA

View Full Version : Well, what have y'all got growing?

MamaMia
5/25/2007, 12:40 PM
What did y'all plant in your gardens this season? My strawberries, kale, lettuce and arugula are still doing very well. They're in pots. The strawberries I have in the hanging baskets are ever blooming so they're still bearing fruit. I must have collected 6 or 7 quarts so far. I also have a huge selection of herbs and some lovely mints; all in pots so the dogs don't tinkle on them. I'm going to make up a couple of jars of mint jelly this weekend.

We dont have much room in our little fenced in area, but we planted lots of tomato plants in there. We have some Champion, 2 Early Girls, a Big Boy, Super Fantastic, some Roma's, and a Jet Star. I'm trying out this hanging plant thing that one of the girls at the clinic got me year before last for my birthday. She loves cherry tomatoes and has been after me to grow some, so I'm growing those to share with her.

It looks like we also have some volunteer plants coming up. Thats never happened to me before so this ought to be interesting. From the leaves, it looks like they're Sioux and Brandy Wines from last year. Have any of you ever had volunteer tomatoes come up, and if so...do they grow and taste the same as their original plants?

I just put in some pickling cucumbers, burpless cucumbers, okra and peppers too. I started some egg plants from seed today that I just got in the mail from this man. He specializes in growing very unique non bitter eggplants. :)

StoopTroup
5/25/2007, 12:42 PM
Poison Ivy.

I hit it with some round-up two days ago.

Newbomb Turk
5/25/2007, 12:43 PM
the wife's clematis is doing quite well.

Mjcpr
5/25/2007, 12:46 PM
I'm trying out this hanging plant thing that one of the girls at the clinic got me year before last for my birthday. She loves cherry tomatoes and has been after me to grow some, so I'm growing those to share with her.

Good luck. Ours didn't do worth a **** last year.

MamaMia
5/25/2007, 12:53 PM
Good luck. Ours didn't do worth a **** last year. Thanks. Did you grow them out of one of those upside down hanging planter things?

PhilTLL
5/25/2007, 12:56 PM
Nothing legal. (Where is the "shifty-eyed" smiley I see on other, lesser boards when I really need it?) In seriousness, none at my place and at home just the one tomato plant and one bell pepper plant I got my ma for Mother's Day. We're not much for gardening.

Mjcpr
5/25/2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks. Did you grow them out of one of those upside down hanging planter things?

It was kind of like a thick, green garbage bag kinda thing with a rope for hanging but with holes in it where the plants were supposed to grow. You filled it with dirt and planted the seeds then sit back and enjoy all the cherry tomatoes.

That's what I remember about it anyway, Mrs Mj did most of the actual, you know, work. :D

C&CDean
5/25/2007, 01:20 PM
The only thing I've sown this year is rye. Mrs. Dean, on the other hand, has sown:

Radishes, spinach, lettuce, onions, potatoes, carrots, beets, green beans, several different varieties of squash, cucumbers, jet stars and early girls, jalapenos, habaneros, several varieties of bell/green/red/yellow peppers, tabascos, sweet corn (peaches & cream), and will be setting out okra this weekend.

The only things I've eaten so far are radishes, onions, lettuce, spinach, and taters.

Okieflyer
5/25/2007, 01:27 PM
the wife's clematis is doing quite well.

So is the clematis thread!:D

King Crimson
5/25/2007, 01:37 PM
i inherited a rosemary plant from the neighbors. it's doing pretty well. great on the foccacia i've been making on the weekends.

crawfish
5/25/2007, 01:39 PM
We really need a fourth monkey for "post no evil"...

Cause I'm being tempted...

Frozen Sooner
5/25/2007, 01:39 PM
Nasturtiums.

MamaMia
5/25/2007, 01:44 PM
The only thing I've sown this year is rye. Mrs. Dean, on the other hand, has sown:

Radishes, spinach, lettuce, onions, potatoes, carrots, beets, green beans, several different varieties of squash, cucumbers, jet stars and early girls, jalapenos, habaneros, several varieties of bell/green/red/yellow peppers, tabascos, sweet corn (peaches & cream), and will be setting out okra this weekend.

The only things I've eaten so far are radishes, onions, lettuce, spinach, and taters.
Oh, how I wish I had room to grow some squash, beets and corn. Yummy. :D

I did buy a peach and cherry tree thats suppose to be especially good for my zone. I'm hoping that will make for some good jam in our futures. Once the tress get big enough I can even make a couple of blossom arrangements for the house. :)

Petro-Sooner
5/25/2007, 01:46 PM
What are tabascos? Never heard of them.

MamaMia
5/25/2007, 01:53 PM
What are tabascos? Never heard of them.They're peppers. Real tasty too. They're the kind of peppers they put in the jars with vinegar that some people put on pinto beans and cooked greens.

KC//CRIMSON
5/25/2007, 07:27 PM
Northern Lights Cencamillia

85Sooner
5/25/2007, 07:30 PM
Why do I hear the song "sweetleaf" going through my head. :)

AlbqSooner
5/25/2007, 07:37 PM
I am growing goatheads - lots of em.

soonerboomer93
5/25/2007, 07:46 PM
they're planting the rice fields

if that counts :D

SteelClip49
5/25/2007, 08:00 PM
i am hoping the wheat crop has a good turnout. A good wheat crop in our territory would be a shocker, kinda like an OSU season that consists of more than 7 wins.

Tailwind
5/25/2007, 08:19 PM
dandylions and weeds. They are doing very, very well, thank you.

r5TPsooner
5/25/2007, 08:22 PM
Flowers and a new magnolia tree.

rufnek05
5/25/2007, 09:01 PM
maui wowie. jamaican jam, and a little mexican red hair.

Sooner24
5/25/2007, 09:57 PM
What are tabascos? Never heard of them.

http://whatdidyoubringme.homestead.com/files/Magnets/PlantMagnets/TabascoPepper911R.jpg

They use them to make this.

http://pfboost.com/african/images/STEW_028.jpg

;)

olevetonahill
5/25/2007, 10:20 PM
I aint sayin SHAT .:eek:

Sooner24
5/25/2007, 10:56 PM
This year just tomatoes. I should be getting a few ripe ones in a couple of weeks

King Crimson
5/26/2007, 10:55 AM
on the subject of tabasco, i worked on a farm and at the farmer's market eons ago during the summers and fall. and at market we always had this little ol' lady from Loosi-yana come and buy our hot peppers (mostly serranos, which she always observed were not the correct kind) to make Loosi-yana style hot sauce. she said she simmered them in vinegar and then ran them through the cuisineart...and then the blender

i tried it once, and besides it being damn near impossible to get into the kitchen without your eyes bleeding when the chopped peppers were simmering....it just didn't turn out quite right. shizz was HOT though.

tabasco proper is way overpriced. you can get twice as much Louisiana Hot Sauce for half as much.

nothing beats a couple fried egg tacos on a soft, warm white corn tortilla with some grated cheese and some Louisiana Hot Sauce. that was my breakfast for 2 or 3 years working in kitchens.

Mjcpr
5/26/2007, 11:59 AM
nothing beats a couple fried egg tacos on a soft, warm white corn tortilla with some grated cheese and some Louisiana Hot Sauce. that was my breakfast for 2 or 3 years working in kitchens.

Up until your heart attack? :D

That does sound good though.

Flagstaffsooner
5/26/2007, 03:23 PM
Mushrooms
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/images/contrib/robertson_phallus_hadriani.jpg

King Crimson
5/26/2007, 03:29 PM
Up until your heart attack? :D

That does sound good though.

naw, we had salads and smoothies for the rest of our meals. ;)

Tailwind
5/26/2007, 03:56 PM
That's some mushroom! :eek:

Rogue
5/26/2007, 05:48 PM
My garden is a hillbilly patio pot garden. Not pot like KC is growing, just that my plants are in pots because Mrs. Rogue won't let me plant tires in the ground to grow 'em up right.

4 tomato plants. Beefsteak, Romas, and 2 other kinds that looked good.
Hot yeller peppers and I'm resuming the herb garden but moving it to the front porch because the back porch just cooks 'em.

Sooner_Bob
5/26/2007, 07:14 PM
Tons of squash, cucumbers, bell peppers, onions and tomaters.

We should have some nice sized squash in a week or so. The tomaters are doing pretty good too.