PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Tournament back in OKC 2009

Sooner24
5/24/2007, 10:34 PM
Looks like the Big 12 liked what it saw this spring. :D

http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052407aac.html

royalfan5
5/24/2007, 10:36 PM
I was hoping the Qwest Center would get a crack at it.

Sooner24
5/24/2007, 11:00 PM
After reading the press release I am not happy.

Starting with the 2008/09 tournament the mens games will start Wed. and end Sat. The women will start Thurs. and end Sun. I think they are making a big mistake as attendence will drop way off for the womens semis and championship games.

Sooner24
5/24/2007, 11:03 PM
I was hoping the Qwest Center would get a crack at it.

Where would the womens tournament have been played?

royalfan5
5/24/2007, 11:06 PM
Where would the womens tournament have been played?
The Civic Auditorium that is downtown as well, or the MAC just across the river in Council Bluffs.

SleestakSooner
5/25/2007, 12:26 AM
After reading the press release I am not happy.

Starting with the 2008/09 tournament the mens games will start Wed. and end Sat. The women will start Thurs. and end Sun. I think they are making a big mistake as attendence will drop way off for the womens semis and championship games.

It will be interesting to see if this change will make any difference in the bracket seeding for the Big XII champs. Seems for years there has been cause to moan and whine (legitmate gripe or not) about how deserving teams from the Big XII have been given improper seeds or awful locations after winning the conference tourney just prior to the selections on Sunday.

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 08:48 AM
The Civic Auditorium that is downtown as well, or the MAC just across the river in Council Bluffs.

Omaha is too cold in March.

royalfan5
5/25/2007, 08:50 AM
Omaha is too cold in March.
Not much colder than Kansas City in March, if any.

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 08:55 AM
I don't have a problem with it, but when you're comparing that to Dallas and OKC, it's a huge difference to a lot of people.

And Omaha is 6 degrees cooler than KCMO on average in the month of March.

royalfan5
5/25/2007, 09:03 AM
I don't have a problem with it, but when you're comparing that to Dallas and OKC, it's a huge difference to a lot of people.

And Omaha is 6 degrees cooler than KCMO on average in the month of March.
6 degrees. I don't know how people survive such jarring temperatures up here. I can't imagine every one from the Big XII is that huge of a pansy about weather during an indoor event.

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 09:10 AM
Have you met Texans?

royalfan5
5/25/2007, 09:15 AM
Have you met Texans?
Yes, and none of them have been that big of Sally's

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 09:30 AM
All right.

You win.

It should be in Omaha.

royalfan5
5/25/2007, 09:37 AM
All right.

You win.

It should be in Omaha.
Omaha is an event driven city. It would be packed even if nobody from south of Lanham NE/KS showed up. Plus Omaha's corporate dollars would go a long way too.

King Crimson
5/25/2007, 01:29 PM
personally, and it will never happen, i'd like to see it at Pepsi Center in Denver.

royalfan5
5/25/2007, 01:35 PM
personally, and it will never happen, i'd like to see it at Pepsi Center in Denver.
Does Denver have a second area that seats 9K for the women? Did McNichols get torn down?

Newbomb Turk
5/25/2007, 01:35 PM

you know the buffs hoop fans would come out in droves to support it. ;)

King Crimson
5/25/2007, 02:06 PM
you know the buffs hoop fans would come out in droves to support it. ;)

all 8 of them.

seriously, i go to more CU hoops games (3 to 5 a year) than all but maybe 1 or 2 of my CU buddies. it's a great deal. GA ticket (there's always plenty of seats) and a large nachos is 10 bucks. you always (ALWAYS) have to ask for more jalapenos. 1 per chip, that's the ratio--1:1. everybody knows that.

edit: and they sell beer.

King Crimson
5/25/2007, 02:08 PM
Does Denver have a second area that seats 9K for the women? Did McNichols get torn down?

not downtown. McNichols is gonzo.

good point. there's a newish arena the NBA D-league team plays but it's in the burbs on the Boulder turnpike. zero atmosphere or local flava, no amenities nearby.

royalfan5
5/25/2007, 02:12 PM
not downtown. McNichols is gonzo.

good point. there's a newish arena the NBA D-league team plays but it's in the burbs on the Boulder turnpike. zero atmosphere or local flava, no amenities nearby.
I think having the football title game at Mile High would be a much better fit in Denver than the basketball finals. But that's just me.

King Crimson
5/25/2007, 02:26 PM
I think having the football title game at Mile High would be a much better fit in Denver than the basketball finals. But that's just me.

prolly so. Nebraska would represent. a lot of NU people along the Front Range. Texas and OU also with some representation. KU fan always buys up about half the tickets for CU-KU hoops games....but i ain't gonna hold my breath for KU to make the Big XII football title game.

Maybe the women's hoops could be played at DU's gym/hockey arena. with the new light rail it's workable. it's easy to get down there. i've been working at DU this spring and it's a piece of cake to get down there.

royalfan5
5/25/2007, 02:30 PM
prolly so. Nebraska would represent. a lot of NU people along the Front Range. Texas and OU also with some representation. KU fan always buys up about half the tickets for CU-KU hoops games....but i ain't gonna hold my breath for KU to make the Big XII football title game.

Maybe the women's hoops could be played at DU's gym/hockey arena. with the new light rail it's workable. it's easy to get down there. i've been working at DU this spring and it's a piece of cake to get down there.
How big is it? The article in the Omaha paper should 9K was the minimum for the Women's tourney. Does DU have that big of a gym.

King Crimson
5/25/2007, 02:33 PM
looks like max seating is 6500....with seats on the floor.

http://www.hob.com/venues/concerts/magness_hamilton/seating.asp

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 02:51 PM
7,200 for basketball.

http://denverpioneers.cstv.com/facilities/denv-magness-arena.html

King Crimson
5/25/2007, 02:56 PM
nice work Ag. DU almost made the NCAA a few years ago with Chauncey Billups little brother, Rodney, running the point. they won the Sun Belt Conference regular season but lost in the title game of the conference tournament to Louisiana-Lafayette (i think). so, no automatic bid. since then it's been a downward spiral.

last year they finished second to last in the rpi (334 or something) and the coach stopped showing up. quit and disappeared.

Big Red Ron
5/28/2007, 07:28 PM
I think breaking attendance records for both me and women, combined with Dallas BS political leadership, puts OKC in the mix for basketball forever in the Big XII. Sure We're in the South but our roots are in the North. OKC makes sense.