PDA

View Full Version : Athlon's is out here in Louisiana and....

Geekboy
5/24/2007, 10:07 PM
they got Texas #2!

bixby28
5/24/2007, 10:08 PM
What justification is there for that ? Sheeesh...:pop:

IronSooner
5/24/2007, 10:12 PM
LOL!!

BASSooner
5/24/2007, 10:18 PM
Great entertainment!

Do these guys have their own show?

BASSooner
5/24/2007, 10:23 PM
I know those guys were a top 10 team but #2? Please...I can't wait for OUr team to put these guys in their place when the season comes up.

goingoneight
5/24/2007, 11:01 PM
One more justifiable reason to chant "O-VER-RA-TED!!!"

TopDawg
5/25/2007, 09:16 AM
Herbstreit was asked which two teams he thought had the best chance to go undefeated this year. He mentioned USC and Texas.

JohnnyMack
5/25/2007, 09:30 AM
Herbstreit was asked which two teams he thought had the best chance to go undefeated this year. He mentioned USC and Texas.

They have OU, @ Aggie Lite and @ Aggie as their 3 toughest games.

I guess it's possible. We're a coin flip at this point and Aggie Lite has about as much chance of beating Saxet as Edmond North does. Talk about a team with a mental block.

OUTrumpet
5/25/2007, 09:34 AM

I guess it's possible. We're a coin flip at this point and Aggie Lite has about as much chance of beating Saxet as Edmond North does. Talk about a team with a mental block.

Man, I remember on my way back home from Collie Station in 2004, hearing OSU was up 35-0 on Texas just a bit before the half when we took a stop at a gas station.

I laughed my *** off when I found out Texas won 56-35.

TopDawg
5/25/2007, 09:42 AM

Yeah, that's basically what Herbie said. I wouldn't sluff off A&M just yet though. The game's in College Station and they won last year in Austin. The Horns will probably be a little fired up though after last year's loss and the hit against McCoy. But I'd say that both our game and the A&M game are coin flips. Remember, Texas still needs to find a secondary. Maybe they will, but I'm not going to put them in the title game just yet.

boomersooner82
5/25/2007, 12:25 PM

Don't forget those sneaky Horned Frogs!

Where do they have the Sooners?

BASSooner
5/25/2007, 01:19 PM
You also have to consider their weaknesses and they are HUUUGGEE ones. However, they have strengths on all other sides of the ball. They lost their All-American OL so whorn fans will see if their QB is decent under pressure or if their games will turn into a sackfest. Their entire secondary was awful last year and those guys are gone except for one guy. They won't suck I don't think but they will be young and learning.

Also with a new defensive coordinator, defense remains a ? just because of a new leader, new philosophy and how well the players develop from it.

Is this team #2? Of course not. However, they can still win a big 12 championship like us every single year.

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 02:27 PM
Man, I remember on my way back home from Collie Station in 2004, hearing OSU was up 35-0 on Texas just a bit before the half when we took a stop at a gas station.

That game was never 35-0.

JohnnyMack
5/25/2007, 02:34 PM

Sounds like you're arranging deck chairs on the Titanic to me.

soonervegas
5/25/2007, 02:38 PM
Texas loses to Aggie Lite and splits OU/A&M.

birddog
5/25/2007, 02:53 PM

what was it? i remember thinking even though osu was up huge, it still never seemed comfortable enough.

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 03:06 PM
OSU scored to make it 35-7 with a bit over a minute left in the first half.

Texas took the ball down the field in about 48 seconds and Bo Scaife "scored" to make it 35-14 (he was actually about 9 feet out of bounds, but oh well).

At this point, I turned to my father and said, "Well, we just got beat, see ya."

The score was comfortable enough, just not the amount of time remaining.

The next year was when they fooled me based solely on the fact that I thought it wouldn't happen in consecutive years. I was a bit wrong.

MiccoMacey
5/25/2007, 03:10 PM
It was 7-0 OSU, then 7-7 tied game, then OSU scored four TDs to make it 35-7.

Then with three seconds left in the second quarter, Texas scored a TD to make it 35-14 at halftime.

Chairs are now fully arranged, Captain.

:D

MiccoMacey
5/25/2007, 03:11 PM
Dang OSUAggie, I didn't see your post.

Beat me to it.

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 03:12 PM
heh, thanks

MiccoMacey
5/25/2007, 03:14 PM
I can't see Texas #2. Possibly top five, and definitely top 10, but not as high as #2.

Their running game is going to be hurting this year. Take it from us Sooners...losing that many quality starting OLinemen AND some quality depth in one year is a recipe for disaster.

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 03:21 PM
Shouldn't 1-2 be some sort of combination of LSU and USC?

CatfishSooner
5/25/2007, 03:27 PM
what is OU????"??

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 03:29 PM

Jello Biafra
5/25/2007, 04:45 PM
Remember, Texas still needs to find a secondary.

and 3 nfl caliber o lineman
and several defensive front 7 spots
and a PROVEN running back/game

TopDawg
5/25/2007, 05:07 PM
I can't see Texas #2. Possibly top five, and definitely top 10, but not as high as #2.

Their running game is going to be hurting this year. Take it from us Sooners...losing that many quality starting OLinemen AND some quality depth in one year is a recipe for disaster.

Texas seems a bit more established on OL than we've been over the Stoops era. We've struggled because we've had to bring in freshmen to start. It seems like I've hoped several times for something similar to happen at Texas when they've sent a guy to the NFL (this isn't the first year recently) only to be disappointed. Remember, there could be a really good second-stringer who just happened to have the misfortune of being behind a great OL. I wouldn't be too surprised if they had quality OL ready to step in.

In the secondary, I'm a little more hopeful that they'll struggle. While their guys can improve over the off-season, it's not likely that they had a lot of talent sitting on the bench with the way their starters played.

Soonerman08
5/25/2007, 05:31 PM
Texas seems a bit more established on OL than we've been over the Stoops era. We've struggled because we've had to bring in freshmen to start. It seems like I've hoped several times for something similar to happen at Texas when they've sent a guy to the NFL (this isn't the first year recently) only to be disappointed. Remember, there could be a really good second-stringer who just happened to have the misfortune of being behind a great OL. I wouldn't be too surprised if they had quality OL ready to step in.

In the secondary, I'm a little more hopeful that they'll struggle. While their guys can improve over the off-season, it's not likely that they had a lot of talent sitting on the bench with the way their starters played.

They lost Gene Chizik so I am curious to see how their defense will fair. I can't imagine they'll be as good defensively.

MiccoMacey
5/25/2007, 05:35 PM
TD,

I don't disagree with you. But like I'd say about any of our team players that are going to start/play for the first time, I'd like to see them perform first. They may be great...they may flop.

To make them the #2 team with so much unproven talent on an offensive line seems a stretch, but it really makes little difference this part of the year.

Jello Biafra
5/25/2007, 06:41 PM

they fixin to find a whole bunch of the freshman starting bug......

T H R E E OFFENSIVE LINEMAN went to the nfl...... from tackle-guard gap to guard-tackle gap. that's a whole bunch of run game (that was already lacking)missing. a true sophomore and a senior are the only guys coming back. if those other guys were eh..so so...they would have been starting in front of that true freshman last year. guaranteed.

Geekboy
5/25/2007, 11:26 PM
I don't give a damn about any analysis and what players (Texas or OU) have been lost, etc.

I just want OU to hand these pricks (Texas) another beat down during the RRS weekend....which I will be attending this upcoming year.....and get the expected football karma alignment where it needs and should be.

Also.....Texas needs to be handed their a$$e$ for another five years in a row by OU to make things 'correct.'

End of discussion.

TopDawg
5/26/2007, 12:27 AM
TD,

I don't disagree with you. But like I'd say about any of our team players that are going to start/play for the first time, I'd like to see them perform first. They may be great...they may flop.

Well, yeah, but if we're excited about DeMarco Murray, it doesn't seem too far a stretch for people to be excited about Texas' O-linemen. Fact of the matter is that Texas has been able to plug holes on their o-line pretty well for the past few years. Just like people gave Mike Stoops the benefit of the doubt when he lost defensive players, maybe Texas' o-line coach has earned that same respect.

To make them the #2 team with so much unproven talent on an offensive line seems a stretch,

Yeah, but you've gotta make someone the #2 team. I honestly haven't looked at the CFB landscape enough yet to know if there's a more deserving team, but maybe there isn't. Maybe there are lots of teams with important holes to fill.

but it really makes little difference this part of the year.

True dat. It's fun to talk about, though.

Jello Biafra
5/26/2007, 12:57 AM
Well, yeah, but if we're excited about DeMarco Murray, it doesn't seem too far a stretch for people to be excited about Texas' O-linemen. Fact of the matter is that Texas has been able to plug holes on their o-line pretty well for the past few years. Just like people gave Mike Stoops the benefit of the doubt when he lost defensive players, maybe Texas' o-line coach has earned that same respect.

obviously, you've never played line.....there is plugging in a player maybe two..... then there is (still) bringing a freshman tackle along (on the qbs blind side)and trying to find a replacement for your tight end (who can help pick up the dend) and o yeh btw a minimum of 9 years experience in the most vulnerable part of your line. right in the middle, where everything happens. everything. i mean, tackle-guard gap to guard-tackle gap. you can fit 3, 300lb men in that area with about a foot between them. thats close to 15 feet worth of primetime, blitzing, azz squishing neck pinching, loogey spitting, eye gouging, no mans land that you don't want new meat in. your center makes the wrong check, step or doesn't recognize a blitz....it could mean the difference between just losing a couple of yards and the offense turning the ball over.

the sophmore is not done growing. He's still got quite a bit to learn and he's the second most experienced lineman they have. starting to get the picture? if you have a line opening holes, an average running back can get a thousand yards. if you don't find that "one" you will be hurting. we have the talent at coach to find those peeps but how many busts and "career ending" injuries did it take to get the guys we have now?

time will tell but, texas has 4 of 6 people to replace and odds are not in their favor that they will find anything close to what was there.

Yeah, but you've gotta make someone the #2 team. I honestly haven't looked at the CFB landscape enough yet to know if there's a more deserving team, but maybe there isn't. Maybe there are lots of teams with important holes to fill.

True dat. It's fun to talk about, though.

hmm

goingoneight
5/27/2007, 08:54 AM

I actually saw that game on TV (yeah, no bullshat, OSU was actually on TV!!!) and they had to go to commercial because the entire Texass crowd was throwing stuff and chanting "BULL-SH*T, BUUUUUUUULL-SH*T!!!" It was 35-7, and I kept asking myself how OSU could put that kind of numbers up on Texass when we only won by 12 with far superior talent. Then Texass pulled their heads out of their ***... excuse me, my bad... Vince Young stepped it up and came back. It was one of Les Miles finer moments as a coach when he declined comment after the game! :D In the end, I didn't give two ****s who won, but I was kinda hoping that would happen, both teams getting caught lookng foolish on National television.