PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr Hancock

jk the sooner fan
5/24/2007, 04:15 PM
i'm sorry for the loss of your son, the former major league pitcher......but your lawsuit is just silly

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18848921/

hopefully all of this

Authorities said the 29-year pitcher had a blood content of nearly twice the legal limit for alcohol in his system when he crashed into the back of the tow truck. He was also speeding, using a cell phone and wasn’t wearing a seat belt, Police Chief Joe Mokwa said after the accident. Marijuana also was found in the SUV.
wont be admitted at trial......

JohnnyMack
5/24/2007, 04:17 PM
I didn't realize until I read that article that he had been at Mike Shannon's. I was up there two weeks ago and stopped in for dinner and the place wasn't doing any business. I thought that that was weird because all the times I'd been there before it was always packed. I wonder how much this deal has hurt business?

royalfan5
5/24/2007, 04:23 PM
Further illustration of why I wanted to get the hell away from the legal profession after a year of law school.

crawfish
5/24/2007, 04:29 PM
Lawyers are sucks.

Sorry, Lid. ;)

1stTimeCaller
5/24/2007, 04:33 PM
Other defendants include Eddie’s Towing, the company whose flatbed tow truck was struck by Hancock’s sport utility vehicle in the early hours of April 29; tow truck driver Jacob Edward Hargrove; and Justin Tolar, the driver whose stalled car on Interstate 64 was being assisted by Hargrove.

The lawsuit claimed Tolar was negligent in allowing his vehicle to reach the point where it stalled on the highway, and for failing to move it out of the way of oncoming traffic. A police report said the car became stalled when it spun out after being cut off by another vehicle.

seriously?

I hope the tow truck place and the driver of the stranded vehicle sue his estate and wip it and his dad out if that's the game the dad wants to play.

JohnnyMack
5/24/2007, 04:34 PM
seriously?

I hope the tow truck place and the driver of the stranded vehicle sue his estate and wip it and his dad out if that's the game the dad wants to play.

Just because you watch Judge Judy and **** all day doesn't make you a lawyer.

Shut yer hole.

1stTimeCaller
5/24/2007, 04:37 PM
:les: JUDGE MATHIS!!!

Ge tit right.

TexasLidig8r
5/24/2007, 04:42 PM
Lawyers are sucks.

Sorry, Lid. ;)

Bastadge!!! ;)

http://www.thepalmbeachtimes.com/Pictures%20folder/Pictures/lawyer%20shark%201.jpg

soonerinabilene
5/24/2007, 04:50 PM
Seriously though, Lid, does this guy have a case legally? I can see one against the bar, but the towing company and the guy whose car broke down? Are people that vulnerable to having to pay big $ because some guy was too stupid to call a cab?

Dio
5/25/2007, 12:39 PM
I'm surprised he didn't sue the cell phone manufacturer, the station that sold him the gas in his car, or the contractor who built the road.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2881602

sooner_born_1960
5/25/2007, 12:41 PM
Have you heard about Pearl Harbour?

Pricetag
5/25/2007, 12:45 PM
He should be ashamed of himself, and the lawyer should be shot.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/25/2007, 12:46 PM
I'm surprised he didn't sue the cell phone manufacturer, the station that sold him the gas in his car, or the contractor who built the road.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2881602

I heard about this on the radio this morning. This is not an unusual lawsuit since it is unlawful to serve alcohol to someone who is already intoxicated. A few years ago, a certain establishment in Norman that you and I used to frequent, was in a similiar lawsuit. They were cleared b/c the people that were killed ended up going to another bar AFTER that one...

jk the sooner fan
5/25/2007, 12:51 PM
MERGE!!!!!!! (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93959)

Osce0la
5/25/2007, 12:55 PM
They were reporting on the radio here in Birmingham yesterday that the resteraunt had offered to call a cab for him and that he refused...

Dio
5/25/2007, 01:10 PM
Have you heard about Pearl Harbour?

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

sooner_born_1960
5/25/2007, 01:11 PM
Germans?

Hamhock
5/25/2007, 01:12 PM
i was really worried there for a second.

Dio
5/25/2007, 01:12 PM
Germans?

Shh, I'm on a roll.

Dio
5/25/2007, 01:15 PM
I heard about this on the radio this morning. This is not an unusual lawsuit since it is unlawful to serve alcohol to someone who is already intoxicated. A few years ago, a certain establishment in Norman that you and I used to frequent, was in a similiar lawsuit. They were cleared b/c the people that were killed ended up going to another bar AFTER that one...

Suing the bar is bad enough, but I think what everybody's steamed about is this guy going after the stalled motorist and wrecker driver his drunk driving son damn near killed.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/25/2007, 01:23 PM
More likely a fishing expedition to see who if anyone will settle, then take that money and continue to sue against the remainder...

The lawsuit should be thrown out with what, "without prejudice" so it can't be refiled. The guy was so out of bounds risk-wise, I'm surprised he wasn't dead sooner. By his BAC and his functioning, he fits the mold of a functioning alcoholic.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/25/2007, 02:08 PM
Suing the bar is bad enough, but I think what everybody's steamed about is this guy going after the stalled motorist and wrecker driver his drunk driving son damn near killed.

I guess it would help if I read the whole article.

TexasLidig8r
5/25/2007, 02:53 PM
Shark: "Mr. Tow Truck Driver isn't it usual and customary that when you have been called to tow a stalled car on a heavily traveled road, you want to attempt to insure the safety of its passengers and the integrity of the vehicle?"

Now, sir, what steps can you do to try to preserve the integrity of the vehicle and the safety of not only its passengers, but passing motorists as well?

Don't police departments and highway patrol units utilize flares to alert other motorists that a disabled vehicle or dangerous condition exists immediately ahead? Don't they also use very bright (as in Okie Lite color) orange cones? Now, sir, you chose not to take these safety precautions.

Now, sir, the back of your tow truck is dark, it is only illuminated by the two small rear lights isnt that true? Now, your tow truck does not come equipped with extra lights on the arm of the towing mechanism does it? You only had your small flashlight to help you illuminate the disabled car?

Now, sir, you were also aware that at that time of the night, or early morning, there are percentage wise, a greater number of intoxicated motorists on the road? Here are some stats from the Department of Motor Vehicles to prove this point?

As testified to by plaintiff's expert witness, you can safely hook up and tow a disabled car in about 10 minutes? And yet, you were on the scene for 20 minutes and you STILL did not have the disabled car out of harm's way did you? But, during this time, you sure got the payment information from the disabled motorist didn't you?

So, let's review... you know about the use of flares to alert other motorists but chose not to use them. You know about the use of bright orange cones to alert other motorists but chose not to use them. You know that the back of your truck is very dark, is poorly illuminated and although you could have easily had lights erected to better illuminate not only your truck but the car you are trying to tow, you chose not to have these present as well. You could have expedited towing the disabled car but were more concerned about getting paid and doing your paperwork instead of removing the disabled car and alleviating an inherently dangerous condition. You knew that this time of night, there are many more impaired drivers on the road and yet, you STILL did not take reasonable steps to not only remove the car, but to address the safety of other motorists did you????

Having said all that.. I still wouldn't take the case (then again, I do mostly defense work).

Dio
5/25/2007, 02:55 PM
I guess it would help if I read the whole article.

Where's the fun in that?

Hamhock
5/25/2007, 03:29 PM
tow trucks have flashing lights similar to a police car, only a different color.

Scott D
5/25/2007, 04:49 PM
if you said their lights were similar to an ambulance but a different color then Lid might understand what you just said Hamhock.