PDA

View Full Version : Turnover Woes Must Stop

htownsooner7
5/24/2007, 09:51 AM
I don't know whether it was the frigid cold air, the whiskey, or the actual play on the field, but I remember being completely SHOCKED, when we scooped up that fumble against nebbish inside their 5 to start the Big XII championship. Then, I recounted that we have been up against it regarding the turnover battle for the entire last 2 seasons. It started with the PT fumble against TCU, continued with Bomar's 10 td/10 interception season, extended to the bs at Oregon, Iglesias fumble/Peterson's lateral against Tu, down to the fumbles against Tech, and unfortunately reared it's ugly head again against Boise.

We have just endured probably one of the most turnover-laden periods of OU history and it has caused us to constantly be fighting uphill battles. The Big XII game was so enjoyable because it reminded me that it doesn't have to be that way. It reminded me that just a few years ago, we were taking care of the ball (who else misses White's stats of 40 Tds and 7 picks?), and our attacking defense was causing mayhem on the other teams.

We have to figure out a way to turn the tables back if we are to once again achieve dominance (and I loved last year's gutsy team, but it was not 'dominant'). I don't get paid the big bucks by any stretch so I don't pretend to have the answer, but I hope Stoops and BV are able to figure it out. If not, we can get beat on nearly any given Saturday because it seems we are always spotting the opponent 2 Tds..

picasso
5/24/2007, 09:53 AM
2 reasons why.

we haven't had an experienced QB since White.

and

Q Griffin is gone.

starrca23
5/24/2007, 10:01 AM
Agree Picasso, We need offensive continuity. I think other than AD we have had an offense that has played kind of nervous and not to loose.
Our defense can help out too. Causing turnovers, getting good field position (which will open up the play book) and getting 4 and outs so the offense can get more rythm would be a great help. I think the defense will do it for us this year though.

CU Sooner
5/24/2007, 10:27 AM
Turnovers don't bother me as much when it comes from being aggresive. However, the past 2 years have been from carelessness and not aggressiveness. htown you must be to young to remember when we averaged 6 fumbles a game and lost half of them but not the game. The turnover problems do not compare to the past but are the worst in the Stoops Era.

Landthief 1972
5/24/2007, 10:30 AM
Most turnover-laden period? Did you miss the era of the wishbone? We had more than one game where we lost 4 fumbles and still won by 20+ points.

htownsooner7
5/24/2007, 10:36 AM
You make a valid point. I was referring to last or 2nd to last in the NCAA in 'fumbles lost' last year. If that was the same in the wishbone, then I will concede the point.

CobraKai
5/24/2007, 10:38 AM
I've heard multiple coaches say that while stats are completely overrated, there is one stat that is not, and that is turnover margin. I've heard coaches say that stat is the most telling statistic in determining who will win a game.

snp
5/24/2007, 10:55 AM
Turnovers are also hard to defend against because sometimes they're just bad luck or great plays by the opposition. No way you can defend against that.

CU Sooner
5/24/2007, 11:28 AM
From 1974 to 1980 we averaged around 40 to's a game and about the same in take aways. Those teams were able to over come the to's because they were aggressive and made big plays several times a game. That's my point, our offense has not been that aggressive the past two years and the excuse has been the qb has not been experienced enough. That never stopped Leach.

snp
5/24/2007, 11:33 AM
That never stopped Leach from winning the Big 12 either.

CU Sooner
5/24/2007, 11:48 AM
Nope, just his defenses for the most part.
I'm not advocating his offense just his aggressive game plan. I know it has been said a thousand times here but ever since the a&m thrashing there has been a tentativeness in finishing off oponents. I had relly hoped Wilson would show some of his northwestern aggresiveness last year. Who knows maybe this year he will.
The other night I watched the 03 RRS and one of things said towards the end when ENA was playing was when he took the reigns we would see the complete offensive package. I didn't see much difference.

snp
5/24/2007, 03:52 PM
Nope, just his defenses for the most part.
I'm not advocating his offense just his aggressive game plan.

Agressive how? By going for it on 4th downs more, or do you define agressive as passing more.

Also, it wasn't his defense that only scored 3,6, and 17 points in 3 of their 5 losses. His offense isn't infallible and is a major reason he'll never have a good defense.

OUinFLA
5/24/2007, 05:13 PM
If we hadn't had turnovers during the wishbone era, we would have averaged about 85 points per game, and 800 yds rushing, time of possession would have been OU 45 minutes,

goingoneight
5/24/2007, 07:27 PM
1. Stop stretching the ball out to get the extra two feet, unless it's fourth and inches or you're on the goal line.

2. Fundamentals; practice them, drill them into the team until they puke whenever they see a fumble.

3. Play better defense, all three of OU's losses in 2006 were winnable games where the D gave up easy TDs. Against Oregon, it was the final TD. Against Texas, two wide-open receivers in the endzone (doesn't take an all-pro to hit a wide-open guy 15 yards out). Against Boise, How about the missed tackle on Zbransky where he basically walked out of it and slung a wild pass out to the receiver-- who then bobbled the ball before catching it, and broke three sure tackles as he strolled in for the TD. Against Boise, Hook-and-lateral was a great play... the halfback pass was not. OU should have either batted that ball down or picked it. Instead, they all over-pursued in the great "prevent" defense. Against Boise again, how in the hell did Zabransky throw that first TD pass? Because we were stupid and fell for the oldest trick in the book, PLAY ACTION. Did I mention that James has about five yards between him and any OU player?