PDA

View Full Version : Since we've discussed "ties," how about OT???

goingoneight
5/24/2007, 12:36 AM
I think I speak for everyone when I say that the NFL overtime succ teh donkey ballz, correct?

I like one thing about college OT, both teams get a shot. If it were me, I'd kick off for each team instead of pretty much guaranteeing your opponent a FG. If team A scores, and team B can't get in FG range, isn't that just a tad bit better? Yay, nay or ghey?

:cool:

CincySooner
5/24/2007, 07:39 AM
I've thought about college OT and come up with a couple of solutions. One is complicated, one is easy.

The main problem that everyone has with college OT is that special teams are not involved with the exception of the FG team. Even then starting at the 25 lets all but the worst offensive teams into the redzone for a short field goal.

Solution #1: Kickoff like the beginning of the game and play a normal game until one team is ahead of the other after equal possesions. Suppose team A gets the ball first in OT.
If team A scores right off the bat, then team B recieves a kickoff with one last chance to drive the field for the tie or win.
If team B picks off team A and runs it in for a TD, then team B wins due to having the lead after an equal number of possessions.
If team A has a monster punter, they can play the field position game until they are within scoring distance.

With this set up I think it gives both teams the oppotunity to use their strengths (offense, defense, sp teams) to find the best way to win in overtime.

The only drawback to this type of OT is the amount of time required to play it out.

Solution #2: Play the way its played now, but move the initial line of scrimmage back to the 40. This way, the FG is not automatic if a team fails to get a first down in OT which drives me nuts. It also puts a little more emphasis on special teams.

The drawback to this system is the fact that teams with outstanding kick/punt coverage are still penalized by not getting to use those units.

sanantoniosooner
5/24/2007, 07:41 AM
I look forward to next week when we discuss the coin toss.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/24/2007, 08:47 AM
Just add another quarter. It's that simple. Maybe shorter like 10mins.

I can't wait til next week either, I have some great ideas for the coin toss.

Robby6pack
5/24/2007, 09:43 AM
I can't wait til next week either, I have some great ideas for the coin toss.

Change from coins to paper money.

stoopified
5/24/2007, 09:57 AM
I've thought about college OT and come up with a couple of solutions. One is complicated, one is easy.

The main problem that everyone has with college OT is that special teams are not involved with the exception of the FG team. Even then starting at the 25 lets all but the worst offensive teams into the redzone for a short field goal.

Solution #1: Kickoff like the beginning of the game and play a normal game until one team is ahead of the other after equal possesions. Suppose team A gets the ball first in OT.
If team A scores right off the bat, then team B recieves a kickoff with one last chance to drive the field for the tie or win.
If team B picks off team A and runs it in for a TD, then team B wins due to having the lead after an equal number of possessions.
If team A has a monster punter, they can play the field position game until they are within scoring distance.

With this set up I think it gives both teams the oppotunity to use their strengths (offense, defense, sp teams) to find the best way to win in overtime.

The only drawback to this type of OT is the amount of time required to play it out.

Solution #2: Play the way its played now, but move the initial line of scrimmage back to the 40. This way, the FG is not automatic if a team fails to get a first down in OT which drives me nuts. It also puts a little more emphasis on special teams.

The drawback to this system is the fact that teams with outstanding kick/punt coverage are still penalized by not getting to use those units.I favor starting at the 50 but the 40 would work.The way it is scoring is tooeasy in OT.BTW I don't mind getting paid OT,I just don't wanna work it.

goingoneight
5/24/2007, 07:14 PM

Coach fight at the 50... first one to die gets the ball first. :D

royalfan5
5/24/2007, 08:19 PM
Overtime should consistent of the dumbest player from each team playing a game of checkers at the 50 yard line. I think that would be a nice twist.

sanantoniosooner
5/24/2007, 10:08 PM
Gott.....or Igloo?

goingoneight
5/24/2007, 11:07 PM
Overtime should consistent of the dumbest player from each team playing a game of checkers at the 50 yard line. I think that would be a nice twist.

Oh, god... can you imagine Vince young playing checkers?

:mack: Well, he gave it all he had... he just couldn't quite stop himself from eating the plastic checker.

King Crimson
5/24/2007, 11:46 PM
the NFL sucks. and the more it becomes the arbiter of national sport and the representation of "competition", we all become the lowest common denominator etc.

it's one half step away from wrestling.

soonerboomer93
5/26/2007, 07:26 PM
sadly, the NFL is still better then any of the other major professional sports leagues

StoopTroup
5/26/2007, 08:31 PM
If we are playing Penn St and it goes to OT...

I say the Head Coaches should wrestle to decide the OUtcome.

LittleWingSooner
5/26/2007, 08:46 PM
The NFL OT does suck, but it does have it's good point in having the kicking game. I say we have an untimed OT which both teams get the ball once. After both teams get the ball once, and it's still tied, then it's sudden death. That's the most fair way to play it. Each team gets a chance.

sanantoniosooner
5/27/2007, 08:32 AM
Rock.
Paper.
Scissors.
To the death.

goingoneight
5/27/2007, 08:36 AM
Stoops/Brown: "One, two, three, four... I declare a thumb war!"

:mack: Oh, come on... how about best of twenty???

okienole3
6/2/2007, 04:33 PM
I may be in the minority, but I like the nfl overtime. It takes into account all aspects of the game. I saw a stat somewhere that fewer than half the teams that win overtime when it on the first possession. So, most of the time everyone gets a possession.

Collier11
6/2/2007, 04:37 PM

The drawback to this system is the fact that teams with outstanding kick/punt coverage are still penalized by not getting to use those units.

If they change anything in college, I think I like this the best. I enjoy college OT the most, but I cant stand seeing games 60-59 in 7 ots(although it doesnt happen often). Just move the initial line of scrimmage back.

I wouldnt like the college OT rules in the NFL, though I do think both teams deserve to get the ball and they should eliminate ties in the NFL.

sanantoniosooner
6/2/2007, 04:41 PM
Are we EVER going to get to this?

Collier11
6/2/2007, 05:29 PM
Are we EVER going to get to this?

Come on guys, lets get serious. You all are just frickin smart azzes for no reason. Lets talk about important sports topics....like the different styles of kicking tee and different face mask types. :rolleyes: :D

oklaclarinet
6/3/2007, 01:54 PM
The NFL OT does suck, but it does have it's good point in having the kicking game. I say we have an untimed OT which both teams get the ball once. After both teams get the ball once, and it's still tied, then it's sudden death. That's the most fair way to play it. Each team gets a chance.

That sounds like how arena ball does it. The only problem is that if you have two strong offensive teams, the team who gets the ball first is going to have a major advantage once the sudden death begins, which is the same problem with the NFL overtime.

LittleWingSooner
6/3/2007, 10:36 PM
Yes but Arena Ball has a smaller field and is meant to score every possession. There's not those advantages in football. I just think it's unfair to have a team win a game on a kickoff return in OT without it having to be avenged.

goingoneight
6/3/2007, 11:05 PM
I may be in the minority, but I like the nfl overtime. It takes into account all aspects of the game. I saw a stat somewhere that fewer than half the teams that win overtime when it on the first possession. So, most of the time everyone gets a possession.

Then you have games where neither defense is worth a crap and whoever gets lucky on a coin toss wins the game. Not usually Oklahoma's problem, but witht he crappy BCS system and the way the BIG 12 is set up, sometimes you need someone to win/lose to help you OUt. I like a little more assuance and fairness that flipping a coin.