PDA

View Full Version : what am i in for?

Jello Biafra
5/23/2007, 08:59 PM
the three year old has bothering us for a couple of months now about playing soccer with his buddy next door. we decided to sign him up and i want to know what the experience is like. my 10 year old has been playing football since he was 6 and baseball since 5. ive heard horror stories....will i need a can of mace? need to hit the weights harder? need camogear???? whats the dealio? ive heard the moms at soccer are worse than the dad's at little league football (which is bad in itself)

i have watched kicking a screaming a few times and the moms, although looking sweet and innocent, could at times be a little intimidating to me......i may be skeered but i just don't know it...

Jello Biafra
5/24/2007, 08:09 PM
niiice so let me get this straight....there is a thread 5 pages long about soccer and noone can give me a little insight into the midgets play?

i see how it is ;)

SoonerDood
5/24/2007, 10:03 PM
the only thing I remember from playing little kids' soccer was running around in a giant pack. Hopefully your kid is bigger and faster than most of the pack.

CatfishSooner
5/25/2007, 03:34 PM
soccer moms are RUTHLESS...
just stand towards the end line away from those crazy bitches...

critical_phil
5/25/2007, 03:37 PM
if you're considering letting your three year old son play soccer, i'll tell you what you're in for: you're about 15 years away from your son bringing home his "friend" chad for thanksgiving dinner.

ywia.

Robby6pack
5/25/2007, 04:02 PM
the three year old has bothering us for a couple of months now about playing soccer with his buddy next door. we decided to sign him up and i want to know what the experience is like. my 10 year old has been playing football since he was 6 and baseball since 5. ive heard horror stories....will i need a can of mace? need to hit the weights harder? need camogear???? whats the dealio? ive heard the moms at soccer are worse than the dad's at little league football (which is bad in itself)

i have watched kicking a screaming a few times and the moms, although looking sweet and innocent, could at times be a little intimidating to me......i may be skeered but i just don't know it...

Save your money. A 3 year old has no idea what is happening on the field. Get all his friends together on Saturday and throw a ball in the yard and watch. You get to stay on your porch and drink beer, which is frowned upon at the soccer fields. Don't ask.

CatfishSooner
5/25/2007, 04:22 PM
if you're considering letting your three year old son play soccer, i'll tell you what you're in for: you're about 15 years away from your son bringing home his "friend" chad for thanksgiving dinner.

ywia.

Dumb.

critical_phil
5/25/2007, 04:39 PM
Dumb.

lacks sense of humor.

Scott D
5/25/2007, 04:44 PM
truthfully, the more I've thought about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that you shouldn't let a kid play an organized sport before the age of 10-11. Play more of a freestyle/street version of any sport with them until that point. By 10-11 they should have enough of an attention span to handle fundamentals, and their creativity will have not been stifled as much as our youth leagues tend to do.

Jello Biafra
5/25/2007, 05:03 PM
truthfully, the more I've thought about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that you shouldn't let a kid play an organized sport before the age of 10-11. Play more of a freestyle/street version of any sport with them until that point. By 10-11 they should have enough of an attention span to handle fundamentals, and their creativity will have not been stifled as much as our youth leagues tend to do.

thanks to all who participated.:)

scott, i tend to disagree with this statement. there are certain kids who were "born" to play a certain sport. with my oldest, it's football and has been since he was around 3 or 4.....now, everyone likes to say this. having said this, this kid doesn't watch cartoons nor has he ever very much. he personally owns (through christmas and birthday requests) nearly every football movie known to mankind save brian's song :) he will put any of these movies in and even at times, put his team highlight films in and play football in full gear in the den with couch cushions. the kid has been in trouble at school for having a FAKE homework book. instead of having the homework notebook out, he has an identical looking one in which he creats his own offesive and defensive plays...its been re-poed on several occasions for multiple offenses.

anyway,
back to the three year old.... he wants to play football, baseball wrestle and play soccer. bugging the crap out of us daily has been a sore spot so we decided to get him into the indoor soccer. he will be eligible to wrestle this fall but the wife grew up in a wrestling town and refuses to let her chitlins do it....so....back to soccer. now i suppose we will watch a 2 and half year old named julio stutter step, dribble and shoot from half feild in these games?

bottomline, i hate soccer. for some reason i can sit at a football game in 120 degree heat and it not bother me but ask me to sit at a kids soccer game and ill hurl at the thought of 90 degree weather. i need to get this midget away from this god awful sport.

Scott D
5/25/2007, 06:54 PM
thanks to all who participated.:)

scott, i tend to disagree with this statement. there are certain kids who were "born" to play a certain sport. with my oldest, it's football and has been since he was around 3 or 4.....now, everyone likes to say this. having said this, this kid doesn't watch cartoons nor has he ever very much. he personally owns (through christmas and birthday requests) nearly every football movie known to mankind save brian's song :) he will put any of these movies in and even at times, put his team highlight films in and play football in full gear in the den with couch cushions. the kid has been in trouble at school for having a FAKE homework book. instead of having the homework notebook out, he has an identical looking one in which he creats his own offesive and defensive plays...its been re-poed on several occasions for multiple offenses.

anyway,
back to the three year old.... he wants to play football, baseball wrestle and play soccer. bugging the crap out of us daily has been a sore spot so we decided to get him into the indoor soccer. he will be eligible to wrestle this fall but the wife grew up in a wrestling town and refuses to let her chitlins do it....so....back to soccer. now i suppose we will watch a 2 and half year old named julio stutter step, dribble and shoot from half feild in these games?

bottomline, i hate soccer. for some reason i can sit at a football game in 120 degree heat and it not bother me but ask me to sit at a kids soccer game and ill hurl at the thought of 90 degree weather. i need to get this midget away from this god awful sport.

I don't mean don't have the kid play football or whatnot, I'm saying that the structure of being in organized leagues can stifle a child's creativity in sports. Ironically that's been the biggest problem with soccer players born and raised in the USA. They get into organized leagues too young and spend too much time on fundamentals.

GottaHavePride
5/25/2007, 07:03 PM
I don't mean don't have the kid play football or whatnot, I'm saying that the structure of being in organized leagues can stifle a child's creativity in sports. Ironically that's been the biggest problem with soccer players born and raised in the USA. They get into organized leagues too young and spend too much time on fundamentals.
Yeah, that's why the play of the Brazilians is so much more creative - they start out just goofing around with soccer balls for fun - the rules of the game come later.

birddog
5/25/2007, 09:39 PM

my 5 year old nephew plays 3 v. 3 on a mini field with lacrosse goals. at first i thought it was lame but it is a good way for them to develop the basics and allows them to see alot more of the ball than 11 v. 11.

as far as parents, hey, it's youth sports in general. you can find a story about idiot parents in every sport.

GottaHavePride
5/25/2007, 10:53 PM
Sort of like the futsal stuff, then? That's cool.

birddog
5/25/2007, 11:01 PM
yeah, it's more exciting for them and they learn about spacing at an early age rather than 20 kids within 10 feet of the ball. basically they can learn the "diamond" shape that they wouldn't be able to use in a full game. and yeah, it's a helluva lot more fun for the kids, which at that age, is the most important factor in them continuing to play as they get older.

Jello Biafra
5/25/2007, 11:30 PM
yeah, it's more exciting for them and they learn about spacing at an early age rather than 20 kids within 10 feet of the ball. basically they can learn the "diamond" shape that they wouldn't be able to use in a full game. and yeah, it's a helluva lot more fun for the kids, which at that age, is the most important factor in them continuing to play as they get older.

best bar b que in the springs eh? we'll see next month ;)

i call bull**** on the best fast food though....nothing beats 39 cent hamburger stand in the springs. well.......maybe not i WAS pretty drunk every time i went in there.

Scott D
5/26/2007, 08:07 AM
my 5 year old nephew plays 3 v. 3 on a mini field with lacrosse goals. at first i thought it was lame but it is a good way for them to develop the basics and allows them to see alot more of the ball than 11 v. 11.

as far as parents, hey, it's youth sports in general. you can find a story about idiot parents in every sport.

well a 3 v 3 format with that is more of a freestyle than overly organized which we love to do with youth leagues. For smaller kids it more boils down to being active participants in a game/sport, and something that uses fewer than the standard number of players allows them to maintain and grow their interest in a sport without being clogged down with excessive rules and moderation.

Jello Biafra
5/27/2007, 12:35 AM
bump for birddog

birddog
5/27/2007, 12:37 AM
send me a peem when you roll into town.

Jello Biafra
5/27/2007, 12:43 AM
send me a peem when you roll into town.

cool. staying in estes park but will be rolling to the springs for a full day.....with an enterouge (sp?)

looking forward to it....