PDA

View Full Version : 2 Big Tackles leaving Texas...

melbitoast
5/23/2007, 08:23 PM
....Including their top tackle prospect from 2006. Heh. :D

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/05/23/bc.fbc.texas.transfers.ap/index.html

Jello Biafra
5/23/2007, 08:25 PM
....Including their top tackle prospect from 2006. Heh. :D

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/05/23/bc.fbc.texas.transfers.ap/index.html

and so it begins......"more playing time". I wondered when this would start happening. there's only so much playing time out there.

how's that texas line looking now?

oumartin
5/23/2007, 08:37 PM
good!

Jello Biafra
5/23/2007, 08:39 PM
good!

my god martin.......ummm nice avatar....you have a nice boot... :)

OKC-SLC
5/23/2007, 09:29 PM
if you think he looks good in a miniskirt, wait 'til you see his wife.

goingoneight
5/24/2007, 12:44 AM
:mack: Uh... uh, let me answer that one for them, okay? They're good kids who worked real-real hard and just... couldn't keep up. I apologize to all Texas fans for their shortcomings, it's all my fault.

TexasLidig8r
5/24/2007, 08:42 AM
Actually.. it was grades.

Webb hurts, would have been the first tackle to substitute in and then, was penciled in to start for the next two years.

The other was a project and probably wouldn't have seen much playing time at all.

OL line depth is pretty much non-existent and Allen and Hix, true freshman, may see significant playing time.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/24/2007, 08:44 AM
Seems familiar...

MiccoMacey
5/24/2007, 09:06 AM
How will this affect Colt?

He played great behind several NFL-bound OLinemen last year, but as they got hurt, his game dropped off significantly, and he got injured.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/24/2007, 09:11 AM
I hope he likes the taste of dirt :D

toast
5/24/2007, 09:27 AM
Why didn't they go to the Austin community college like the other ut football players with grade issues?

fwsooner22
5/24/2007, 09:30 AM

Webb hurts, would have been the first tackle to substitute in and then, was penciled in to start for the next two years.

The other was a project and probably wouldn't have seen much playing time at all.

OL line depth is pretty much non-existent and Allen and Hix, true freshman, may see significant playing time.

Lid......that sounds painfully familiar......and it is NOT good......

htownsooner7
5/24/2007, 09:38 AM
By my research, they have then lost 3 of their top 6 lineman from last year. You would think that would take it's toll. On the other hand, they have brought in outstanding recruiting classes for many years in a row, so I would guess that they'll be able to line up more talent than necessary. Plus, they don't have a tough game until us (they should beat KSU at home by plenty), so they'll have time to figure it out. Unlike our situation 2 years ago, when we lost 2 guys right before the first game against what ended up being a top 15 opponent (TCU). The 3rd game (UCLA) also ended up being a formidable opponent on the road.

TexasLidig8r
5/24/2007, 10:13 AM
How will this affect Colt?

He played great behind several NFL-bound OLinemen last year, but as they got hurt, his game dropped off significantly, and he got injured.

Colt got hurt on a quarterback sneak on the goal line against wheat aggy. He didn't recover until the bowl game when he lit up Ioway.

It could mean, shorter pass routes, more involvement of the tight end, quick hitters, get rid of the friggin' zone read with Colt, involvement of the fullback as a blocking back.

Without your O-line playing as a cohesive unit, that spells trouble... perhaps moreso than any other unit, the offensive line needs time to jell.

colleyvillesooner
5/24/2007, 10:17 AM
Colt got hurt on a quarterback sneak on the goal line against wheat aggy. He didn't recover until the bowl game when he lit up Ioway.

It could mean, shorter pass routes, more involvement of the tight end, quick hitters, get rid of the friggin' zone read with Colt, involvement of the fullback as a blocking back.

Without your O-line playing as a cohesive unit, that spells trouble... perhaps moreso than any other unit, the offensive line needs time to jell.

TCU brings back 9 of 11 on defense...;)

BASSooner
5/24/2007, 10:29 AM

I went to high school with this kid. As much as I hate to say it, I hope he does well.

Seamus
5/24/2007, 12:11 PM
He didn't recover until the bowl game when he lit up Ioway.

26-40, 308 yards, 2 TDs. Good game. But "lit up"? Especially in a 26-24 game?

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/college/img9898819.jpg

On the other hand, judging from that lip, Cole was getting some close personal coaching from Mack.

Seamus
5/24/2007, 12:15 PM
And in a peripheral note ...

http://images.sportsline.com/images/football/college/bowls/mccoy1230.jpg

I'm setting the chromosome over/under for the guy over Colt's shoulder at 31. Any takers?

CatfishSooner
5/24/2007, 01:28 PM
i take...under

Jello Biafra
5/24/2007, 05:29 PM
By my research, they have then lost 3 of their top 6 lineman from last year. You would think that would take it's toll. On the other hand, they have brought in outstanding recruiting classes for many years in a row, so I would guess that they'll be able to line up more talent than necessary. Plus, they don't have a tough game until us (they should beat KSU at home by plenty), so they'll have time to figure it out. Unlike our situation 2 years ago, when we lost 2 guys right before the first game against what ended up being a top 15 opponent (TCU). The 3rd game (UCLA) also ended up being a formidable opponent on the road.

wow. rewind 24 hours and this is pretty much my post.....amazing insight.

with the exception of the ksu statement.....they did lose to them last year right? nothing is going to be a given this year for them.

htownsooner7
5/28/2007, 05:33 PM
You may be right about KSU, but I just think they'll handle them at home. Of course, I would have thought they would have waltzed through against them last year too. I'd love to be proven wrong again.

insuranceman_22
5/29/2007, 12:57 AM

Believe me, the Sooner Nation can relate to the lack of a cohesive offensive line. Ours is finally (fingers crossed) set pretty well with good starters, good back-ups and serious depth. Colts life will be a little different this year. I think your right about the changing of the play calling, he simply won't be able to do what he did for the majority of last year. On the other hand, he's still a good QB.....and dammit I don't like that!

goingoneight
5/29/2007, 01:44 AM
Texas will go as far as Colt McCoy can take them. He is a winner if I ever saw one, and it will only be a matter of time before his team grows on him like Vince's did for him. He's more of a system QB, though. VY wasn't a product of the system, more of a "dammit, there hegoes again!" kind of QB if you had to deal with him on defense.

Texas might have some OL and defensive issues, but it IS Texas after all, and they should wrinke those problems out by the tiem they play us. We're not hands down better than them like we were in 2000-2004. We have soem edges, and if we had a polished junior QB with soem time in the offense under his belt (cough!!! BOMAR, cough!!!), we'd be a favorite probably.

I think three things hurt us in 2006 against Hook 'em.

1. Kevin Wilson didn't use PT in the way he did against Tech or Nebbish, like maybe he wasn't sold on PT's passing skills yet.
2. Loose grips. PT threw soem garbage INTs trying to salvage the game, but the other turnovers that killed us were sloppy ball control.
3. Defense couldn't capitalize on oppurtunities and their stats were a reflection of Greg Davis's cowardice, rather than great defensive play. You could say that we stopped the run somewhat effectively, but they didn't even have a running game worth mentioning. When it came down to converting 3rd and 4th downs, McCoy owned us embarassingly.

I'll say that the final score should have been 21-10, I was sitting right freaking in front of where AD "fumbled." I saw the bogus play with my own eyes, and I saw it several times on YouTube and ESPN. That was a gimme TD by the refs if I ever saw one. Should have been UT 21, OU 10, Zebras 7. Maybe if it was 21-10, OU could have gotten back into the game like they did against Boise State.

MamaMia
5/29/2007, 11:22 AM
Seems familiar...
This scenario does sound familiar. It was 2 or 3 seasons ago; the year Mo Dampeer and some others left.