PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Season starts soon

jk the sooner fan
5/23/2007, 09:26 AM
To: Ex-Floridians, present Floridians, and future Floridians or those who know a Floridian.
We're about to enter the peak of the hurricane season. Any day now, you're going to turn on the TV and see a weather person pointing to some radar blob out in the Gulf of Mexico and making two basic meteorological points:
(1) There is no need to panic.
(2) We could all be killed.
Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in Florida. If you're new to the area, you're probably wondering what you need to do to prepare for the possibility that we'll get hit by "the big one.''
Based on our experiences, we recommend that you follow this simple three-step hurricane preparedness plan:
STEP 1. Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least three days.
STEP 2. Put these supplies into your car.
STEP 3. Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Thanksgiving.
Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here in Florida.
We'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness items:
HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE: If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets two basic requirements:
(1) It is reasonably well-built, and (2) It is located in Nebraska.
Unfortunately, if your home is located in Florida, or any other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance, because then they might be required to pay YOU money, and that is certainly not why they got into the insurance business in the first place.
So you'll have to scrounge around for an insurance company, which will charge you an annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of your house. At any moment, this company can drop you like used dental floss.
Since Hurricane Andrew, I have had an estimated 27 different home-insurance companies. This week, I'm covered by the Bob and Big Stan Insurance Company, under a policy which states that, in addition to my premium, Bob and Big Stan are entitled, on demand, to my kidneys.
SHUTTERS: Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, all the doors, and -- if it's a major hurricane -- all the toilets.
There are several types of shutters, with advantages and disadvantages:
Plywood shutters: The advantage is that, because you make them yourself, they're cheap. The disadvantage is that, because you make them yourself, they will fall off.
Sheet-metal shutters: The advantage is that these work well, once you get them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get them all up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps, and it will be December.
Roll-down shutters: The advantages are that they're very easy to use, and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage is that you will have to sell your house to pay for them.
"Hurricane-proof'' windows: These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane protection: They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstand hurricane winds! You can be sure of this, because the salesman says so. He lives in Nebraska.
"Hurricane Proofing Your Property: As the hurricane approaches, check your yard for movable objects like barbecue grills, planters, patio furniture, visiting relatives, etc.; you should, as a precaution, throw these items into your swimming pool (if you don't have a swimming pool, you should have one built immediately). Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these objects into deadly missiles.
EVACUATION ROUTE: If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned out. (To determine whether you live in a low-lying area, look at your driver's license; if it says "Florida" you live in a low-lying area.) The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along with two hundred thousand other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely.
HURRICANE SUPPLIES: If you don't evacuate, you will need a mess of supplies. Do not buy them now! Florida tradition requires that you wait until the last possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get into vicious fights with strangers over who gets the last can of SPAM. In addition to food and water, you will need the following supplies:
23 Flashlights. At least $167 worth of batteries that turn out, when the power goes out, to be the wrong size for the flashlights.
Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for. But it's traditional, so GET some!)
A 55-gallon drum of underarm deodorant.
A big knife that you can strap to your leg. (This will be useless in a hurricane, but it looks cool.)
A large quantity of raw chicken, to placate the alligators. (Ask anybody who went through Andrew; after the hurricane, there WILL be irate alligators.)
$35,000 in cash or diamonds so that, after the hurricane passes, you can buy a generator from a man with no discernible teeth.
Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricane draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by turning on your television and watching TV reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the ocean and tell you over and over how vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the ocean.
Good luck and remember: it's great living in paradise! Those of you who aren't here yet you should come. Really!

stoopified
5/23/2007, 09:33 AM
Should be rough since the 'Canes are breaking in a new coach for their chaingang,I mean team :)

85Sooner
5/23/2007, 10:02 AM
I remember all the warnings last year(1 yr post Katrina) that it was going to be terrible. Was there one that hit the US?

OUinFLA
5/23/2007, 10:37 AM
I have wanted a waterfront home on Tampa Bay for years. There is one development area I have looked at dozens of times. Everything about the area fits my desires perfectly.

Then last week I was watching one of the Hurricane Preparedness shows they have here each year about this time. They had a professor from the University of Tampa who had created a computer model of the effects of a Cat 3 storm making landfall just north of Tampa Bay. Due to the Gulf configuration, he estimated a 12 foot surge of water would enter the bay. He did not figure in any additional wave height on top of that. But mentioned it could add an additional 8-12 feet of water.

The results would be devistating (although it has never happened so far).
The pennisula that makes up St Pete would be cut in half, actually forming an island out of the southern part of St Pete.

Downtown Tampa would have most of the first two floors of all buildings under water.

The development area where I "would have" liked to reside in would be....

"The hardest hit area of the bay, with virtually every home in that area submerged to roof level."

Then he showed a computer graphic of all these events and I watched as the roof of one of my friend's home who lives where I would have liked to live gradually dissappear under water.

Well, that made me change my mind as to a future location.
I think I'll just stay here about 35 miles from the bay.

StoopTroup
5/23/2007, 11:05 AM
I thought this was about TU -OU tickets....

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2007, 11:11 AM
Hurricane season + homeowners insurance = :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

OU4LIFE
5/23/2007, 11:13 AM
THREAT of hurricane season = higher gas prices :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2007, 11:22 AM
THREAT of hurricane season = higher gas prices :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:I would rather pay $4 a gallon for gas instead of $4K for homeowners insurance.

OU4LIFE
5/23/2007, 11:24 AM
I'd rather move and pay $2 for gas.

StoopTroup
5/23/2007, 11:25 AM
Buying gas is getting painful.

I feel terrorized by the oil companies.

Beef
5/23/2007, 11:28 AM
Motorcycles rock.

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2007, 11:55 AM
I'd rather move and pay $2 for gas.:D Me too.

KABOOKIE
5/23/2007, 12:06 PM
I remember all the warnings last year(1 yr post Katrina) that it was going to be terrible. Was there one that hit the US?

Yep. Surprise. Surprise. Guess what all the environmentalarmist weather geeks are saying again?

[INSERT YEAR HERE] could possibly be the worst year ever for tropical storms.

SoonerStormchaser
5/23/2007, 12:09 PM
Al Gore has said that this year will be the worst EVAR for harrycanes...with fifty of them Cat 4 or above and thirty five hitting the US.

After all...Al Gore IS God :rolleyes:

KABOOKIE
5/23/2007, 12:28 PM
Heh. Algore is mad again....

Early coverage of Al Gore's new book, The Assault on Reason, has focused on the fact that the book is largely an assault on the Bush administration. But they have glossed over the most significant and alarming theme that Al Gore has taken up: his alleged defense of "reason" includes a justification for government controls over political speech.

Judging from the excerpts of Gore's book published in TIME, his not-so-subtle theme is that reason is being "assaulted" by a free and unfettered debate in the media--and particularly by the fact that Gore has to contend with opposition from the right-leaning media.

Developing a dangerous theme that the left has been toying with for years, Gore says that reason is being suffocated by "media Machiavellis"--that's a veiled reference to Fox News owner Rupert Murdoch and Bush political advisor Karl Rove, the twin hobgoblins of the left. According to Gore, these puppet-masters take advantage of "the clever use of electronic mass media" to "manipulate the outcome of elections."

Now here's the really ominous part. This "manipulation" is rendering our representative government "illegitimate" because it only has the public's "consent"--he repeatedly puts "consent" in scare quotes, just to emphasize the point that this consent is not, in Al Gore's superior judgment, genuine or legitimate. As he puts it, "the 'consent of the governed' [has become] a commodity to be purchased by the highest bidder."

Presumably, this is Gore's fallback explanation for why he didn't really lose the 2000 presidential election, not "genuinely," not "legitimately." That election makes an appearance in Gore's whining complaint about his loss in a televised debate against George W. Bush: "[T]he controversy over my sighs in the first debate with George W. Bush created an impression on television that for many viewers outweighed whatever positive benefits I might have otherwise gained in the verbal combat of ideas and substance." I remember that debate, and I can tell you that Gore lost because his sighs gave him the impression of being the kind of condescending know-it-all who views a debate as "verbal combat" in which he shoves his preferred notions down the public's throat.

His new argument doesn't do anything to reverse that impression. His basic theme seems to be: if the left isn't winning in the marketplace of ideas, there can't possibly be anything wrong with their ideas. It must be the marketplace itself that is "broken," and the left needs to use the power of government to fix it--in both senses of the word "fix."

This is by no means a new theme on the left; Noam Chomsky has been peddling this stuff for years. We only think that we are free to write and to speak and to make our minds up for ourselves, the left tells us. But behind the scenes we're being manipulated by the big corporate media, so the votes we cast and the consent we give to those who govern us is artificially "manufactured." We need to be liberated--by having the left take control of the media and manage it in our best interests.

The specific form of control Gore favors is indicated when he complains about "the increasing concentration of ownership by an even smaller number of large corporations that now effectively control the majority of television programming in America." This leftist conspiracy theory--the view that "big corporations" control everything--has a specific target: not the left-leaning news shows offered by the big three broadcast networks, but Rupert Murdoch and Fox News Channel, the successful cable television home of the right-leaning media.

The upshot of this complaint is the threat that the government will use the antitrust laws or FCC regulations to block Murdoch's plans for expansion of his media business, or to break it up--both actions that have been threatened by Democrats in Congress--unless he chooses to use his media influence in a more "responsible" and "public-spirited" manner.

Lurking in the background are the other prongs of the left's veiled threat against freedom of speech. Campaign finance controls restrict political speech during elections--precisely when the maximum freedom of speech is needed--by targeting the funding of political speech. Meanwhile, attempts to revive the misnamed "Fairness Doctrine" seek to suppress conservative talk radio by forcing broadcasters to give an equal amount of air time to the left, whether or not it can win an audience. This is the measure known as the "Hush Rush Bill," because its first victim would be Rush Limbaugh, who would presumably be forced to share his audience of millions with failed leftist talk-radio hosts like Al Franken.

This is the American left's version of what strongmen like Vladimir Putin and Pervez Musharraf call "managed democracy." The "marketplace of ideas" can be trusted to work--so long as everyone agrees with them. But if the public obstinately persists in disagreeing with the left, then the marketplace of ideas must have been "broken" by meddling troublemakers like Rush Limbaugh and Rupert Murdoch and Karl Rove--and we know how to "fix" those guys, don't we?

More broadly, this is what the left has traditionally meant by "reason." For decades, the left has dominated the intelligentsia: the media, the universities, and the other institutions that provide credentials for "experts"--another term Al Gore has been harping on. This leads the left to act as if the latest consensus among its favored experts--whether it be the superiority of socialized medicine or the imminent threat of global warming--must be what every "rational" and well-informed person thinks, because it is the consensus of the elite.

Thus "reason," as Al Gore uses the term, refers to the ability of the leftist elite to impose its conventional dogmas on the national debate, without the need to persuade or convince others.

In reality, a genuine respect for reason starts with an absolute respect for the mind and judgment of the individual. A respect for reason requires the subordination of coercion to persuasion through the strict limitation of government power. A respect for reason requires a commitment to liberty above all else.

Al Gore stands for the exact opposite. His environmentalist crusade is dedicated to the suppression of the material products of the human mind--our advanced industry and technology. And now, in his new book, he is promoting a rationalization for the suppression of free political debate.

To do this while billing himself as a defender of reason is an act of supreme insolence.

slickdawg
5/23/2007, 12:42 PM
1) I am no longer in the cone of uncertainity.

2) We had an unexpected El Nino form last summer, essentially killing the 2006 hurricane season.

3) That El Nino rapidly dissapated and we enter the 2007 hurricane season with neutral conditions and borderline La Nina. If a La Nina event does occur, that significantly enhances the probability of activity in the atlantic basin.

KABOOKIE
5/23/2007, 12:46 PM
1) We can't forecast a **** storm in a pig farm.

:D

jk the sooner fan
5/23/2007, 01:07 PM
1) I am no longer in the cone of uncertainity.

2) We had an unexpected El Nino form last summer, essentially killing the 2006 hurricane season.

3) That El Nino rapidly dissapated and we enter the 2007 hurricane season with neutral conditions and borderline La Nina. If a La Nina event does occur, that significantly enhances the probability of activity in the atlantic basin.

there's our problem, we're relying on mexican children to give us our weather forecasts

SeattleOUstudent
5/23/2007, 05:54 PM
Im a catastrophe adjuster....

(yay! for storms)

TUSooner
5/23/2007, 06:29 PM
I'm suire glad I don't live in Florida! . . . oh wait I live in south Louisnana. Bughhhhhhh!!!! :(

OUinFLA
5/23/2007, 06:40 PM
I'm suire glad I don't live in Florida! . . . oh wait I live in south Louisnana. Bughhhhhhh!!!! :(

but...but.....if you lived in Florida, you, me and CarolinaSoonerfan could prepare for hurricanes together.............uh, what's your favorite beer?

Sooner in Tampa
5/24/2007, 05:54 AM
but...but.....if you lived in Florida, you, me and CarolinaSoonerfan could prepare for hurricanes together.............uh, what's your favorite beer?COLD :P