PDA

View Full Version : Fighting cocks pumped up on meth!

Okla-homey
5/23/2007, 05:19 AM
:eek:

Cockfighting raid found roosters on meth

VAN BUREN, Ark. (AP) -- The arrests of 81 people on felony charges at an illegal cockfighting arena over the weekend were no spur-of-the-moment thing, a prosecutor says, and occurred only after months of investigation that included sending officers to the site undercover to mix and mingle - and place bets - with the other spectators.

A tip from out of state in August led to the felony arrests and 61 misdemeanor citations Saturday at the 120-acre property hosting the cockfights in Crawford County, Crawford County Prosecutor Marc McCune said. A raid also was conducted in Oklahoma.

Acting on the information, police began using aircraft to fly over the property and take photographs, which showed a large building and multiple trailers. McCune said the trailers served as temperature-controlled shelters for the roosters.

McCune said investigators pored over Crawford County utility records to determine when electricity use spiked at the property, and found that occurred on weekends.

An Arkansas State Police trooper and an FBI agent went undercover into the fights, placing bets on the fights, the prosecutor said.

"They participated like they were anyone else in that arena, otherwise they would have stuck out like a sore thumb," McCune said.

Inside, the operation resembled a small sports arena - including stadium seating with several rows of numbered blue and green chairs, a scoreboard, an elevated press box, a concession stand and a cockfighting pit at the center point, McCune said.

"To get in the facility, you had to be introduced by a member and then purchase a membership card to get through the gates," McCune said. "It was well organized and well run."

McCune said the cockfights consisted of a series of matches lasting from Saturday afternoon to early Sunday morning. Prize purses went as high as $50,000, he said.

Those with roosters in the fight gave the animals methamphetamine, strychnine or vitamins to increase their stamina, McCune said.

Kenneth Stanley Donelson and Michael Ray Donelson, who own the section of land where the alleged **** fights occurred, were arrested during the raid and are suspected of organizing the weekly events. U.S. Attorney Robert C. Balfe filed a lawsuit Monday to seize the land where the cockfights took place.

Arkansas State Police said the raid was one of three - two in Arkansas and one in Oklahoma - carried out Saturday by a task force combining federal, state and local forces and troopers expect to make additional arrests as the investigation continues.

yermom
5/23/2007, 09:01 AM
can you get any more redneck than that?

King Crimson
5/23/2007, 09:31 AM
i'm shocked.

sooneron
5/23/2007, 10:45 AM
"They participated like they were anyone else in that arena, otherwise they would have stuck out like a sore thumb," McCune said.
Uh, yeah, isn't that the point of "undercover"?

Note to self: don't engage in illegalities in Ark, their cops are bueno smart!

StoopTroup
5/23/2007, 10:56 AM
I knew they would never stop the cockfighting....

Another law they can't enforce and when they do....

They spend money that could be used for good things...

Hillbillies need to be entertained and if it takes a few roosters dying...I say it's better than them leaving Stillwater and roaming the Country trying to find a safe haven for an event....

It's shameful that we've taken away all their fun.

:pop:

Widescreen
5/23/2007, 11:49 AM
"It was well organized and well run."
Well that's good. I wonder if they have ISO certification.

Okla-homey
5/23/2007, 12:10 PM
I wonder if the birds get "meth beak?"

PhilTLL
5/23/2007, 01:03 PM
A press box?! Does the Podunk Tahms-Ga-zayyyy-ut publish cockfighting results?

TUSooner
5/23/2007, 01:09 PM
All I got to say is that chickens are really stupid animals that I can't stoke up much sympathy for. I mean, literally, you can remove most of their brain, and the head as well, and it doesn't change their behaviour appreciably. Don't believe it?

http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/