PDA

View Full Version : 2007 CFB: Big 12 Most Underrated/Overrated Offensive Players

Collier11
5/22/2007, 11:33 AM
Underrated:

Chase Daniel-qb mizzou (This guy is gutsy, a winner despite Pinkel)
Mike Goodson-rb A&M ( If healthy and if Fran doesnt waste him, he is a stud)
Shannon woodds-rb TT (great back for that system)
Malcolm Kelly-wr OU (how he didnt get 1st team last year is a joke)
Martellus Bennett-te A&M (this guy is a stud if they would get him the ball)
Grant Jones-KR Okst (great kick returner, I think he is better than overhyped Perrish Cox)

Overrated:

Stephen Mcgee-qb A&M (oh, he is fiery though)
Sam Keller-qb Neb (what has he done in college)
Bobby Reid-qb okst (he sure as hell hasnt done anything yet)
Jovorskie Lane-rb A&M ( he is fat, who cares)
Limas sweed-wr Tex (good, but give me a break on all his publicity)

Big Red Ron
5/22/2007, 11:54 AM
Heh, almost looks like a Sooner wrote this.

Collier11
5/22/2007, 11:59 AM
I included an Ag and two Cadets on the underrated. I tried to be unbiased sept for the Kelly vs. Sweed argument

BASSooner
5/22/2007, 01:33 PM
Kelly>Sweed. There is no arguement. If you watched both of thse receivers, you would know.

JohnnyMack
5/22/2007, 01:41 PM
Underrated:

Bradon Pettigrew (TE) Okie State

htownsooner7
5/22/2007, 01:46 PM
Bear with me on this one, fellow sooners..

Underrated:

Colt McCoy.

This is really an indictment about all the horrible VinceLove that swept over whorn fans. If VY 'singlehandedly' won tu a national championship (I guess that singlehandedly means "was accompanied by at least 10 future NFL players.."), is the greatest player to have ever put on a jersey (no heismans, 1 NC, 1 conference championship, and a losing (or at least no winning) record against his greatest rival (who could compare with that..), then losing him should have devastated their offense, right??? Wrong. McCoy had an exceptional year, yet the whorn fans don't ride his jock. They are some of the worst fans (see 'Fire Mack Brown' in 2004 RRS, to 'we have a great coach' in 2005) on the scene and this supports that even more. .

Beef
5/22/2007, 01:50 PM
I would say Bennett is way overrated. All I've heard about him is what a superstar in waiting he is for the last 3 years. If he's truly as great as everyone says, even Franny would find a way to give him the ball. Until he does something worthwhile, he's overrated.

Herr Scholz
5/22/2007, 01:55 PM
Bear with me on this one, fellow sooners..

Underrated:

Colt McCoy.

McCoy had an exceptional year, yet the whorn fans don't ride his jock.
Completely wrong. He's on the verge of icon status already here in Austin. You apparently just don't like us Horns and are making stuff up to coincide with your preconceived notions.

Collier11
5/22/2007, 02:00 PM
Kelly>Sweed. There is no arguement. If you watched both of thse receivers, you would know.

I dont think you are talking to me because I clearly stated that, if you were...I clearly stated that already ;)

Collier11
5/22/2007, 02:01 PM
Completely wrong. He's on the verge of icon status already here in Austin. You apparently just don't like us Horns and are making stuff up to coincide with your preconceived notions.

we usually dont have to make up stuff, you guys typically confirm on a regular basis our preconceived notions! ;)

OSUAggie
5/22/2007, 02:05 PM
I included an Ag and two Cadets on the underrated. I tried to be unbiased sept for the Kelly vs. Sweed argument

Too bad the Ag you included graduated last year.

Herr Scholz
5/22/2007, 02:08 PM
we usually dont have to make up stuff, you guys typically confirm on a regular basis our preconceived notions! ;)
I don't deny that we have a large amount of a-hole fans. ;) We're diehard though and to imply we're indifferent about McCoy is just flat out wrong.

Rhino
5/22/2007, 02:09 PM
Underrated:
Shannon woodds-rb TT (great back for that system) Don't look now, but he was running scout team all spring.

fwsooner22
5/22/2007, 02:15 PM
Colt = One good solid hit away from " Who's Next "......unfortunately we can't get close enough to him to even figure out what kinda shoes he wears.

Underrated? No such thing for any UT QB.

htownsooner7
5/22/2007, 02:18 PM
Couldn't disagree with you more. I also live in Texas amidst your folk, so to throw the "I live in Austin" card gains you no extra credibility. I've heard many a whorn fan bitch about how a tough qb would've handled the A&M injury differently. I also noticed that you didn't contend any of my assertions about VY which must mean that you agree. As far as 'icon' status, Colt only got something close to that after winning many games. I sat in your section at the RRS and heard people yelling "what is he doing? where is he throwing" only to shut their own mouth after his success. VY was walking on water from day one and he came in to save the day down by a small margin very early in his first RRS. He came out and you'll were down 49. The next year, he put up 0. Yeah, he had a great last year. Admitted. But he was given a free pass in a way that Colt never got or will get. Bad fans. Period.

chbrew09
5/22/2007, 02:22 PM
Underrated? No such thing for any UT QB.

You haven't just been sipping the Kool-Aid...you're drunk off it. I hate UT, but McCoy and VY were and are both really really good.

Herr Scholz
5/22/2007, 02:33 PM
Couldn't disagree with you more. I also live in Texas amidst your folk, so to throw the "I live in Austin" card gains you no extra credibility.
I have two degrees from the University and have lived in Austin for 14 years. Forgive me if I think I have my finger on the pulse of Longhorn fans just a tad more than a transplant Sooner.

Believe me when I tell you that everyone here loves McCoy. Loves him. And if he does what I think he's going to do this season, he will be an icon. Period.

Bad fans. Period.
Believe what you want. My personal feelings are that our two fanbases are more similar than either side wants to admit. But whatever helps you sleep at night. I've seen the Sooner nation turn on more than one coach or player pretty quickly as well.

MiccoMacey
5/22/2007, 02:50 PM
I have two degrees from the University and have lived in Austin for 14 years.

It took you fourteen years to get two degrees from Texas? Who knew the curriculum for the "Drive Thru Window" degree was so strict. What stumped ya...the passing out of the fries, or the whole "Large-to-Supersize"" ratio?

:D

Believe what you want. My personal feelings are that our two fanbases are more similar than either side wants to admit...

I agree. Mostly good to great fans, with each side having their homers.

Herr Scholz
5/22/2007, 02:58 PM
It took you fourteen years to get two degrees from Texas?
I got lost on 6th Street for about 6 years straight. ;)

MiccoMacey
5/22/2007, 03:04 PM
Sounds like me, except replace "6th Street" with Spades and other card games that run late into the night.

Collier11
5/22/2007, 03:14 PM
Too bad the Ag you included graduated last year.

My bad! I thought he was a senior this year, well then just add Cox to the overrated list! ;)

Collier11
5/22/2007, 03:15 PM
Don't look now, but he was running scout team all spring.

Thats cus he ****ed off Leach, he will start and be very good ala Taurean Henderson as long as he gets out of the dog house

htownsooner7
5/22/2007, 03:23 PM
I don't have the time or inclination to do this dance with you. I frequently have this conversation with friends of mine. And they constantly do what you did, "I went to UT, blah, blah. We have a better record (because we were good in 1912), blah, blah, blah." Okay, I guess I'm not entitled to have valid, learned observations then... BS.

I have respect for the University of Texas and it's athletes. Some of their fans are my friends. Yet, I have no hesitation in making this next statement, there's nothing worse than UT a##holes. Nothing. Not USC people, not Notre Dame fans. Not even drunk Cajun LSU fans. Actually, I kind of liked them. Regardless, everyone else dishes out and takes it better than whorn fans. Can't wait to watch you mope out of the Cotton Bowl next year. And don't bother with the "I don't know what I'm talking about" nonsense, you came on OUr board and waited for the opportunity to insert yourself. We'll just agree to disagree about whorn fans and McCoy.

Herr Scholz
5/22/2007, 03:28 PM
A) You don't know what you're talking about.

B) It's more my board than yours, newbie.

Husker In Oklahoma
5/22/2007, 03:38 PM
Sam Keller-qb Neb (what has he done in college)

OU sure wanted him though. In fact, if he did go to OU, I'd be willing to bet he would not be on your "overated" list! :rolleyes:

Collier11
5/22/2007, 03:39 PM
A) You don't know what you're talking about.

B) It's more my board than yours, newbie.

Sorry Herr, you are a decent texas fan to deal with, but nothing in Sooner land is more yours than a Sooner, no matter the post count. sept for maybe osu ags girlfriend who you took home that one night when she got the oranges confused

Collier11
5/22/2007, 03:40 PM
OU sure wanted him though. In fact, if he did go to OU, I'd be willing to bet he would not be on your "overated" list! :rolleyes:

I never said he wasnt a good qb, but he hasnt done anything in college and he is getting loads of hype! that is why he is overrated!

Husker In Oklahoma
5/22/2007, 03:43 PM
I never said he wasnt a good qb, but he hasnt done anything in college and he is getting loads of hype! that is why he is overrated!
He was having a very solid season before injury in 2005. Look, I don't know what kind of year he will have, but NFL scouts love the guy. Personally, I think he may struggle a bit early on in Callahan's complex offense, but should come on as the season goes forward. With a game @Wake Forrest and home against USC in the first three ball games, Keller is gonna be thrust into the fire quickly. Time will tell how he does.

The_Red_Patriot
5/22/2007, 03:53 PM
Colt has sand in his vagina.

He suffers from the Chris Simms syndrome.

fwsooner22
5/22/2007, 03:57 PM
You haven't just been sipping the Kool-Aid...you're drunk off it. I hate UT, but McCoy and VY were and are both really really good.

Who said they are not really, really good.....? I only said it was impossible to be an Underrated QB at UT........Probably true at OU as well and USC, Alabama, ND, etc..... Who's Drunk?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Herr Scholz
5/22/2007, 03:58 PM
Colt has sand in his vagina.

He suffers from the Chris Simms syndrome.
Colt's a gamer. Simms was not. Bad comparison. Colt's a lot headier than Simms. A better comparison would be Applewhite. He's more athletic than Major though.

And Colt got injured last year. I suppose you think Peterson has the same condition given his numerous injuries?

Husker In Oklahoma
5/22/2007, 04:04 PM
Colt's a gamer. Simms was not. Bad comparison. Colt's a lot headier than Simms. A better comparison would be Applewhite. He's more athletic than Major though.
Isn't Colt 1-0 versus OU? That dude can play some ball IMO, and is a pretty tough SOB. To me, Texas (unfortunately) is in good hands with McCoy at QB. Dude is smart, accurate and tough and has a feel for the game.

soonerhubs
5/22/2007, 04:05 PM
Colt's a good QB, and he made a great showing last year. I still say his real test comes this year when the Texas Offensive line is younger.

htownsooner7
5/22/2007, 04:13 PM
1) I know exactly what I'm talking about

2) Congrats on flaunting your impressive internet accomplishments!!

3) I thoroughly enjoyed buying my Big XII championship tickets from one of your fellow whorn fans last year for dirt cheap. Remind me again why you weren't there.. Actually, the guy I bought the tickets from was cool and probably wouldn't have touted his internet resume, so maybe that's a bad comparison.

4) The part in your original post, "the people in Austin love him. Love him." was perhaps the fruitiest exchange that I've seen in some time.

Herr Scholz
5/22/2007, 04:19 PM
1) I know exactly what I'm talking about

2) Congrats on flaunting your impressive internet accomplishments!!

3) I thoroughly enjoyed buying my Big XII championship tickets from one of your fellow whorn fans last year for dirt cheap. Remind me again why you weren't there.. Actually, the guy I bought the tickets from was cool and probably wouldn't have touted his internet resume, so maybe that's a bad comparison.

4) The part in your original post, "the people in Austin love him. Love him." was perhaps the fruitiest exchange that I've seen in some time.
A) No, you don't know how the majority of UT fans feel about Colt McCoy. You've made your complete ignorance of the subject quite apparent. I doubt you can be objective about anything UT related given your obvious and transparent hatred towards UT.

B) Fine, it's your board. Thank you so much for allowing me to post here, sensei.

C) Sorry you had to resort to calling me gay. You've certainly lowered yourself there.

Collier11
5/22/2007, 04:24 PM
A) No, you don't know how the majority of UT fans feel about Colt McCoy. You've made your complete ignorance of the subject quite apparent. I doubt you can be objective about anything UT related given your obvious and transparent hatred towards UT.

B) Fine, it's your board. Thank you so much for allowing me to post here, sensei.

C) Sorry you had to resort to calling me gay. You've certainly lowered yourself there.

A) who cares

B) who cares

c) he may have you there ;)

htownsooner7
5/22/2007, 04:32 PM
I didn't call anyone gay. Way to play that card, though. I tried to drop this train of insults before and will calmly and kindly do it again. Herr-Scholz, I'm sure I will see you on this board again. I think this is rattling off aimlessly and without any purpose. I don't take these things personal and I don't think anyone else should, either. I'm sure we can keep it more professional in the future. All in the spirit of the game and I will try to keep my gloves up a little higher.

CU Sooner
5/22/2007, 04:43 PM
Back to the thread, I would replace sweed with charles. All I heard last year was how dominating he was going to be. I didn;t know they were just talking about Rice. OVRERRATED

MiccoMacey
5/22/2007, 07:09 PM
I'd kind of have to agree about Charles. He's not produced enough for the amount of hype he gets.

Can he be good? You bet. Has he produced often enough? Not even close.

OSUAggie
5/22/2007, 07:43 PM
Sorry Herr, you are a decent texas fan to deal with, but nothing in Sooner land is more yours than a Sooner, no matter the post count. sept for maybe osu ags girlfriend who you took home that one night when she got the oranges confused

I thought I only ****ed sheep. What's this about a girlfriend? :confused:

goingoneight
5/22/2007, 07:54 PM

I've heard all sheep are colorblind. :D

goingoneight
5/22/2007, 08:13 PM
Overrated 5:

1. Sam Keller (until further notice, NFL scouts have been wrong before, especially with QBs).
2. Bobby Reid (makes a great play, followed by two bad plays... methinks Robinson will be better)
3. Jamaal Charles (WOW... look at all those yards he piled up the last two years!)
4. Adarius Bowman (let me know when he looks All-American against a good team)
5. Stephen McGee (the guy runs the option, for starters. Not a bad offense, but he doesn't play-fake or run in a flashy manner at all in order for me to call him a great QB. Yeah, he's firey, so was Bomar, so was Simms... you get the picture. O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D.)

Underrated 5:

1. Zac Robinson (one fumbled against the best defense in the BIG 12 tarnished what should be the deciding factor in him being the 2007 starter. Colorado and Oklahoma would both have been happy to have landed him by now.)
2. Graham Harrell (gotta love a QB who can throw for over 500 yards in numerous games as young as he was last year)
3. Brandon Pettigrew (If only Oklahoma used Gresham in the manner Gundy uses BP, Thompson could have had over 3,000 yards passing by 2006 season's end.)
4. Jermaine Gresham (here's a guy who is like having Troy Aikman at aTm, the offense so far has not showcased his unique talent.)
5. Malcom Kelly (call me a home for another Sooner, but if the name of the game is hand-eye coordination, this guy is All-American. If Jason White or Josh Heupel were still throwing passes at OU, he'd be a number one target in my book. Heres a guy who can be wrapped up and on the way down, and he still makes one-handed, behind-the-back grabs! Cover him as tight as you please, he'll still burn you.)

OSUAggie
5/22/2007, 08:22 PM
Bowman?

You kidding?

6 rec 80 yards against OU
3 rec 60 yards and TD against 'Bama
5 rec 66 yards against Texas
3 rec 86 yards 1 TD against Nebraska
3 rec 48 yards 2 TD against aTm

avg. 4 rec 68 yards 1 TD

If he were to avg. that in a 14-game season like your boy Kelly played, he'd have 56 rec for 952 yards and 11 TD

Kelly had 62 rec for 993 and 10 TD last year...

Pretty equal #'s, and Kelly got to keep his #'s from his cupcake games...........

Big Red Ron
5/22/2007, 09:20 PM
Bowman?

You kidding?

avg. 4 rec 68 yards 1 TD

If he were to avg. that in a 14-game season like your boy Kelly played, he'd have 56 rec for 952 yards and 11 TD

Pretty equal #'s, and Kelly got to keep his #'s from his cupcake games...........:rolleyes: Aggie logic?

Big Red Ron
5/22/2007, 09:37 PM
Pretty equal #'s, and Kelly got to keep his #'s from his cupcake games...........Not!

Bowman got nearly 1/5th of his Rec's, more than 1/4th of his yards, and 1/3rd of his TD's in one game.:rolleyes:

Against the mighty Kansas Jayhawks!:twinkies:

KingDavid
5/22/2007, 11:05 PM
Opinion question: who would you say is the most over-rated player we have?

Although I really like him and hope he has a great year, I think my vote would have to go to Allen Patrick right now. Or Juaquin Iglesias, maybe?

Big Red Ron
5/22/2007, 11:15 PM

Although I really like him and hope he has a great year, I think my vote would have to go to Allen Patrick right now. Or Juaquin Iglesias, maybe?Wow, no way is Patrick over rated. I would say Germain Grisham.

Collier11
5/22/2007, 11:18 PM

Although I really like him and hope he has a great year, I think my vote would have to go to Allen Patrick right now. Or Juaquin Iglesias, maybe?

Brandon Braxton and Brandon Walker...both came in with some hype and while both are good, they both may end up 2nd string this year

KingDavid
5/22/2007, 11:19 PM
I would probably have to put McCoy on the over-rated list, too. But it's not so much about him, as it is his line. I think he'll struggle to match his numbers from last year just because the line will be new/adjusting.

Noob, you need to go easy on Herr. You'll find he's the probably most tolerable horn on the board. Save your spunk for Lidig8tor or some other obnoxious horn.

oumartin
5/22/2007, 11:23 PM
cupcake game=playing OSU?

KingDavid
5/22/2007, 11:26 PM
Brandon Braxton and Brandon Walker...both came in with some hype and while both are good, they both may end up 2nd string this year

I can see Walker being over-rated. But I think Braxton is pretty strong, though. Who do you see displacing him?

We really don't have a lot of "hyped" players on this team, do we? It's pretty much just Kelly and Patrick on the offense, and then Smith on the D. Kind of interesting.

This will be an interesting year for Nic Harris. If this doesn't end up being his year to shine, we'll probably look back and say he was over-rated.

I think I might have to say that our most over-rated player is not a player at all. It just might be (gulp) Brent Venables.

There, I said it.

Collier11
5/23/2007, 01:12 AM
I can see Walker being over-rated. But I think Braxton is pretty strong, though. Who do you see displacing him?

Like I said, its not so much that he is overrated, just that the other guys are better. I have heard, and this is pure speculation that T.Williams, Duke, Cooper, Loadholdt, and Brian Simmons might be the starters with Braxton, Walker, Moore, Beeler, and Brandon being the back-ups coming out of Spring ball!

htownsooner7
5/23/2007, 09:52 AM
Didn't Walker start every game last year? If that is correct, I'd have to disagree. Any time a Sooner steps foot on campus and starts every game in his first year, he is not succeptible to overrated questions. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

I think OUr line will be great. Can someone please provide a little more inside info about Loadholt? With all these seasoned and talented linemen returning, the fact that everyone considers him a lock to be a star is intringuing. Is he just that good?

mxATVracer10
5/23/2007, 10:17 AM
Is he just that good?

Yes.:texan:

Big Red Ron
5/23/2007, 07:13 PM

Although I really like him and hope he has a great year, I think my vote would have to go to Allen Patrick right now. Or Juaquin Iglesias, maybe?D.J. Wolfe and it isn't even close. I love 'em cuz he's a Sooner but dang, if he was any good at RB he'd have moved back instead of Patrick. What's worse, can't cover my grandma. Again, I'm sure he's a great guy and an awesome athlete but he's the most over rated IMHO.

OSUAggie
5/23/2007, 08:12 PM
D.J. Wolfe and it isn't even close. I love 'em cuz he's a Sooner but dang, if he was any good at RB he'd have moved back instead of Patrick. What's worse, can't cover my grandma. Again, I'm sure he's a great guy and an awesome athlete but he's the most over rated IMHO.

Where is he rated highly?

Big Red Ron
5/23/2007, 09:16 PM
Where is he rated highly?Well, he was the one of the top RB's in the nation coming out of HS (ranked higher than any aggie RB in the last two decades) but we signed a dude named Peterson and he was the starting CB for the first few games last season.

Big Red Ron
5/23/2007, 09:22 PM
Where is he rated highly?Oh, and good idea to ignore the other little debate we had in this thread...

Pretty equal #'s, and Kelly got to keep his #'s from his cupcake games...........Not!

Bowman got nearly 1/5th of his Rec's, more than 1/4th of his yards, and 1/3rd of his TD's in one game.:rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
5/23/2007, 09:23 PM
stupid aggie

Seamus
5/23/2007, 09:42 PM
D.J. Wolfe and it isn't even close. I love 'em cuz he's a Sooner but dang, if he was any good at RB he'd have moved back instead of Patrick. What's worse, can't cover my grandma. Again, I'm sure he's a great guy and an awesome athlete but he's the most over rated IMHO.

Yeah, but I heard your grandma runs a 4.2 40 ... ;)

OSUAggie
5/23/2007, 10:05 PM
Oh, and good idea to ignore the other little debate we had in this thread...

Not!

Let me spell this out for you really ****ing slowly..

This comment below....

Bowman?

You kidding?

avg. 4 rec 68 yards 1 TD

Pretty equal #'s, and Kelly got to keep his #'s from his cupcake games...........

.... was made in response to .....

Overrated 5: ...

4. Adarius Bowman (let me know when he looks All-American against a good team)

.... while goingoneight maintained that....

Underrated 5: ....
5. Malcom Kelly (call me a home for another Sooner, but if the name of the game is hand-eye coordination, this guy is All-American. If Jason White or Josh Heupel were still throwing passes at OU, he'd be a number one target in my book. Heres a guy who can be wrapped up and on the way down, and he still makes one-handed, behind-the-back grabs! Cover him as tight as you please, he'll still burn you.)

Thus, I took Bowman's stats against "good" teams (or "good" defenses in Alabama's case), took the averages and multiplied them by the # of games that Malcolm played, and, I'll be damned, they happen to be pretty much ****ing equal.

The fact that Bowman's performance against Kansas resulted in 1/5 of his receptions, 1/4 of his yards and 1/3 of his TD's is more of a testament to how well he played rather than (as you take it) how ****ty he is if you don't include that game.

goingoneight
5/24/2007, 12:39 AM
This reeks of the Woods/Clayton comparisons. How is Woods doing, BTW?

Big Red Ron
5/24/2007, 05:31 AM
This reeks of the Woods/Clayton comparisons. How is Woods doing, BTW?Perfect.

Unfortunately, they don't allow push offs in Europa either?

Maybe Canada???

OSUAggie
5/24/2007, 08:53 AM
This reeks of the Woods/Clayton comparisons. How is Woods doing, BTW?

Hamstring, again. Apparently that effects how well he did in college??? :confused:

And I'm not knocking Kelly. I think he's the best pure receiver in the Big XII. But Adarius Bowman isn't overrated. At all.

MiccoMacey
5/24/2007, 09:00 AM
Count me in as an Adarius Bowman fan.

He's got all-world potential, and I think he's going to be a great player this year for OSU.

Plus, most OU fans are calling Bobby Reid "average" and some listed him as overrated. If he's an average QB, then Bowman had some great numbers considering his QB was waaaaay less talented than Paul Thompson. Kelly's numbers SHOULD be higher from last year because he plays on a better overall team and had a better QB.

Collier11
5/24/2007, 10:28 AM
Plus, most OU fans are calling Bobby Reid "average" and some listed him as overrated. If he's an average QB, then Bowman had some great numbers considering his QB was waaaaay less talented than Paul Thompson. Kelly's numbers SHOULD be higher from last year because he plays on a better overall team and had a better QB.

Not really! First, Bobby Reid talent wise is head and shoulders above PT, skill wise he is better than PT, its just that he hasnt put it together so far and he cant lead like PT. Kellys numbers wont necessarily be higher just because OU was better because we ran alot rather than letting PT air it out, Kelly would have been way over 1000yds had he not gotten hurt

MiccoMacey
5/24/2007, 11:51 AM
Not really! First, Bobby Reid talent wise is head and shoulders above PT, skill wise he is better than PT, its just that he hasnt put it together so far and he cant lead like PT.

We agree almost totally. Although I think he has put it together.

Gm Patt Pcomp Comppct Int Intpct Pyds Ydspatt TDs TDpct Rating

13 267 148 55.43 11 4.12 2266 8.49 24 8.99 148.1

Completing 55 percent of your passes isn't great, but it's pretty good. 24-11 TD/Int ratio isn't bad either.

He's not Heisman material, but he's doing pretty darn well for a sophomore.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org

Kellys numbers wont necessarily be higher just because OU was better because we ran alot rather than letting PT air it out...

Ahem...

Rank Name Games Carries Net Avg. TDs Ydspg

7 Oklahoma St. 13 522 2704 5.18 28 208.00
17 Oklahoma 14 557 2480 4.45 25 177.14

We ran 55 times more than they did. Over a season of 13 games, that's less than 5 rushes a game. Not much difference. And they ran a lot further than we did by about 220 yards (or 30 yards a game, which is pretty significant).

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_teamrush&site=org

I'm not hammering our guys. I love our offense, and our players are solid.

I just think OSU gets a raw deal over here just because they're OSU, and not based on any factual evidence.

Bowman could easily start for OU, and would be either our #1 or #1A receiver.

JohnnyMack
5/24/2007, 11:54 AM
Not really! First, Bobby Reid talent wise is head and shoulders above PT, skill wise he is better than PT, its just that he hasnt put it together so far and he cant lead like PT.

That's cause he ain't too smart. Talented? Yep. Rhodes Scholar? Nope.

Oh well, VY proved that brains aren't necessary to win.

Collier11
5/24/2007, 11:57 AM
Rank Name Games Carries Net Avg. TDs Ydspg

7 Oklahoma St. 13 522 2704 5.18 28 208.00
17 Oklahoma 14 557 2480 4.45 25 177.14

We ran 55 times more than they did. Over a season of 13 games, that's less than 5 rushes a game. Not much difference. And they ran a lot further than we did by about 220 yards (or 30 yards a game, which is pretty significant).

I am not disputing that bowman couldnt start for us, if we had kelly and bowman we would be unstoppable! How many passing attempts did we avg per game compared to them?

OSUAggie
5/24/2007, 01:04 PM
I am not disputing that bowman couldnt start for us, if we had kelly and bowman we would be unstoppable! How many passing attempts did we avg per game compared to them?

OU: 205/340 thru 14 games 14.6/24.3
OSU: 174/321 thru 13 games 13.4/24.7

You threw for 2,682 total yards (191.6/game), we threw for 2,623 (201.8/game)

Each team threw 11 picks.

MiccoMacey
5/24/2007, 01:23 PM
I am not disputing that bowman couldnt start for us, if we had kelly and bowman we would be unstoppable!

That'd be a heck of a WR corp. Especially if/when some of our others shine through (Quenton Chaney and Fred Strong, I'm talking directly to you).

Collier11
5/24/2007, 02:05 PM
OU: 205/340 thru 14 games 14.6/24.3
OSU: 174/321 thru 13 games 13.4/24.7

You threw for 2,682 total yards (191.6/game), we threw for 2,623 (201.8/game)

Each team threw 11 picks.

Sounds like Ou's "offense in transition" and OSU's "most powerful offense in the world" are pretty similiar :D :pop:

OSUAggie
5/24/2007, 02:21 PM
Well...

I'm not sitting around claiming we have the most powerful offense in the world; or continent; or country; or conference; or division; or state.

I do think the offense has a chance to be very good. It could potentially be great if a receiver or two step up to compliment Bowman and Pettigrew.

As far as compared to Oklahoma's offense, we averaged 50 yards/game and 5 points/game more than you last year, and we only lost D'Juan Woods' production (or lack thereof) within the skill set. That's not a huge difference, but it is markedly better. Our offense was also in transition with a lot of young players having to play in key positions (young meaning young in age and/or experience).

I'm not saying our offense is "better than your's" or whatever because they're so different philosophically (probably partly due to the fact that OU doesn't feel like they have to score on 80% of their possesssions b/c they know how to play defense). But I do believe we have the pieces in place to have an offense that can or should be among the top-10 in the country.

Collier11
5/24/2007, 02:34 PM
As far as compared to Oklahoma's offense, we averaged 50 yards/game and 5 points/game more than you last year

This has already been documented, you guys averaged 42ppg against your non-conf schedule, kansas, and baylor while only 25ppg against the good portion of your schedule therefore I dont really see that extra 50yds and 5ppg as being relevant!

OSUAggie
5/24/2007, 03:18 PM
This has already been documented, you guys averaged 42ppg against your non-conf schedule, kansas, and baylor while only 25ppg against the good portion of your schedule therefore I dont really see that extra 50yds and 5ppg as being relevant!

ok...

vs. bowl teams

Average YPG Rushing
OSU: 185
OU: 174

Average YPG Passing
OSU: 190
OU: 190

Average PPG
OSU: 27
OU: 30

This statistic includes the Middle Tennessee State game for Oklahoma.

If that game were not factored, OU averaged:

Rushing: 172
Passing: 179
Scoring: 26

Big Red Ron
5/24/2007, 03:32 PM
Dude, the term "Bowl team" means exactly nothing. There are what thirty or forty bowls? So, you beat a cupcake that is the third place team in the Sun Belt or whatever.

Try "Ranked teams" or "BCS conference Team."

JDawg2303
5/24/2007, 03:34 PM

Wolfe is one of those complicated guys. He defends great on the short passes and anything he can keep inside. He's also a good tackler. However, he SUCKS when it comes to defending one-on-one on a deep route. But he is definately overrated and deservingly a second-string CB.

Collier11
5/24/2007, 03:40 PM
But he is definately overrated and deservingly a second-string CB.

So I guess you coach for OU, see him in practice every day? The fact is that he was a highly recruited running back that just happened to come in with AD, he was switched to CB cus we needed help and played great! Not good, great! Last year he struggled at times but also made some plays for us(fiesta bowl), so to say he is overrated or sucks is completely untrue and not based on fact. Lets see where Stoops has him by the end of the year first!

JDawg2303
5/24/2007, 03:46 PM
I didn't say he sucked completely. I'm just saying he's not an outside CB. He can't defend people deep without help. He always got burned deep (of course his size doesn't really help either. He's shorter than those WRs that play the outside (1 or 2 spot). He would be more valuable on the slot or on WRs that don't go deep very often. He is great when it comes to defending the run on the outside or those slant/curl routes because he has great pursuit skills and tackling skills. He obviously is doing something right to keep getting playing time. It's just when he covers deep is where he gets in trouble.

Collier11
5/24/2007, 04:20 PM
sometimes those deep balls are busted assignments by the safeties also. We havent had consistent play from our safeties in a while

JDawg2303
5/24/2007, 04:23 PM
True. But a CB should still be able to hang with their assignments regardless whether a safety is there or not (unless it's a zone play, then that's a different story altogether).

Collier11
5/24/2007, 04:25 PM
I just tend to stick up for DJ cus he was completely selfless which is rare considering he was a national recruit. He switched to help the team and cus AD was here and he is one of those guys who deserves to play well and deserves to get drafted

JohnnyMack
5/24/2007, 04:33 PM
True. But a CB should still be able to hang with their assignments regardless whether a safety is there or not (unless it's a zone play, then that's a different story altogether).

Why do you hate Chijioke?

OSUAggie
5/24/2007, 05:06 PM
Dude, the term "Bowl team" means exactly nothing. There are what thirty or forty bowls? So, you beat a cupcake that is the third place team in the Sun Belt or whatever.

Try "Ranked teams" or "BCS conference Team."

Ok....

vs. Ranked Teams

Rushing
OSU: 173
OU: 167

Passing
OSU: 182
OU: 175

Scoring
OSU: 26
OU: 25

vs. BCS Conference Teams

Rushing
OSU: 210
OU: 183

Passing
OSU: 197
OU: 174

Scoring
OSU: 33
OU: 27

Big Red Ron
5/24/2007, 05:09 PM
So I guess you coach for OU, see him in practice every day? The fact is that he was a highly recruited running back that just happened to come in with AD, he was switched to CB cus we needed help and played great! Not good, great! Last year he struggled at times but also made some plays for us(fiesta bowl), so to say he is overrated or sucks is completely untrue and not based on fact. Lets see where Stoops has him by the end of the year first!Yeah, I see what you're saying but my point is, he was recruited as a RB but when AD needed a back up, it was Patrick that was moved from Safety to RB. I also understand there are depth issues on both sides. It just seems to me that if he was as talented at RB as he was recruited; he'd have been moved back to RB.

I dunno, I don't think anyone feels he's no good. He's just "overrated," as the topic of this thread was about.

Collier11
5/24/2007, 05:18 PM
your mom ;)

Big Red Ron
5/24/2007, 05:19 PM
Ok....

vs. Ranked Teams

Rushing
OSU: 173
OU: 167

Passing
OSU: 182
OU: 175

Scoring
OSU: 26
OU: 25

vs. BCS Conference Teams

Rushing
OSU: 210
OU: 183

Passing
OSU: 197
OU: 164

Scoring
OSU: 33
OU: 26Cool, and what was the W-L record for said games again, I forget?

OSUAggie
5/24/2007, 05:24 PM
Cool, and what was the W-L record for said games again, I forget?

heh, I can't believe it took that long to get the W-L comment...

I think the discussion was about offense, though... ;)

Octavian
5/24/2007, 05:25 PM
Overrated:

Marlon Lucky

Jorvorskie Lane

Jamaal Charles

Underrated:

Jermichael Finley

Chase Daniel

Brandon Pettigrew

Big Red Ron
5/24/2007, 05:28 PM
your mom ;):D

OSUAggie
5/24/2007, 05:42 PM
Overrated:

1. Jovorskie Lane
2. Frank Okam (at least nationally)
3. Andre Sexton

Underrated:

1. Stephen McGee
2. William Franklin
3. Todd Blythe

goingoneight
5/24/2007, 07:52 PM
Ok....

Wins
OU 11/12 (aggy says we lost "clearly" to duckie, so meh...)
OSU 7

Big 12 Championships
OU 4 1/2 (2003 South)
OSU 0

Okay then... ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/24/2007, 08:14 PM
Completely wrong. He's on the verge of icon status already here in Austin. You apparently just don't like us Horns and are making stuff up to coincide with your preconceived notions.Why do you care what a bunch of Soonerfans say about your players?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/24/2007, 08:17 PM
It took you fourteen years to get two degrees from Texas? Who knew the curriculum for the "Drive Thru Window" degree was so strict. What stumped ya...the passing out of the fries, or the whole "Large-to-Supersize"" ratio?

:D

Har!

illinisooner
5/24/2007, 09:09 PM
Where exactly does Bret Meyer fit into this discussion: Overrated or underrated?

Big Red Ron
5/24/2007, 09:25 PM
Where exactly does Bret Meyer fit into this discussion: Overrated or underrated?Who?

Does that answer your question?

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 08:47 AM
Who?

Does that answer your question?

You know, the 2006 preseason first team All-Big XII QB...

Herr Scholz
5/25/2007, 02:29 PM
Why do you care what a bunch of Soonerfans say about your players?
Why do you care what I write?

And I only took issue with one Sooner's comments.

birddog
5/25/2007, 02:57 PM
good lawd, i'm going to sleep til august.

goingoneight
5/26/2007, 01:53 AM
Wake me up... when September starts... :D