PDA

View Full Version : Rivals releases first '08 Five-Stars

Octavian
5/22/2007, 11:12 AM
FWIW....

Front page with video (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/)

'08 Five-Stars: #27-#21 (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=675625)

Octavian
5/22/2007, 11:15 AM
Stephen Good can add another accomplishment to the list.

Good gathered scholarship offers from schools such as Georgia, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, and UCLA before making an early commitment to Oklahoma. Now, the 6-foot-5, 290-pounder found out another one of his goals had been achieved early this week when he learned he was going to be named a five-star prospect on Rivals.com.

"It's really exciting," Good said about being named to five-star status. "That's been my goal for a while now. I had kind of heard that I might be ranked there and everything, but I didn't want to let that go to my head. I wanted to keep working to make sure that I did make it, but that I was also getting better."

Since committing to the Sooners, the Paris, Texas lineman says things have been pretty quiet – for the most part.

"When I made my commitment, my family was real excited about it for me," Good said. "Nobody was upset. Everybody around here is a Longhorn fan, so they teased me a little bit, but nothing too bad. I still get mail every now and then from schools."

That commitment has not changed. Good says that he remains just as solid to Oklahoma as he did when he made the big decision several months ago.

The coaching staff is a big reason why his commitment has stayed a solid one.

"Like I had said before, I just fell in love with the coaches, the town, the atmosphere, and how the campus was," Good said. "Everything at OU seems to fit me."

Good says that with being named to five-star status and having his commitment made already, there is still another goal that he's looking at to achieve.

"A state championship would be it," Good said. "We're going to try to make a run for it this year. We've got (Keon) Furtch and Jordan (Fields) committed to A&M and some looking at other colleges. We have some talented players and dedicated players.

"So, we're going to turn that to a state championship team."

OSUAggie
5/22/2007, 12:43 PM
Ashley Russell is kinda hot.

CU Sooner
5/22/2007, 01:21 PM
What are our chances with Aghayere?

BASSooner
5/22/2007, 01:30 PM
I would think it would be very slim because of RJ Washington.

bprao5
5/22/2007, 02:28 PM
would think it would be very slim because of RJ Washington.

- R.J. Washington

Couldn't he play the other side? not to sound rude or anything, but two D-ends can be on the field at the same time. Does he lean towards Texas or some other school?

CU Sooner
5/22/2007, 04:32 PM
We don't have a lot of depth and there are two de's that start, so why would RJ keep him away? I'd have to think that would free up a lot of one-on-one situations, especially with our young dt's. Seems like we have the perfect situation for him.

bixby28
5/22/2007, 04:37 PM
Stephen Good has a pretty dang impressive highlight reel.

I think this guy is going to be a stud at the next level. :D

KingDavid
5/22/2007, 10:49 PM
I would think it would be pretty slim because we already have RJ Washington.

But maybe that's been said already.

starrca23
5/23/2007, 09:06 AM
There is video of numbers 20-14 up...including Aurthur Brown.

Herr Scholz
5/23/2007, 12:59 PM
"You know OU has won five conference championships and UT has only one so it's like......ok?"

- R.J. Washington
Well, actually it's only 4:2 but whatever.

insuranceman_22
5/24/2007, 12:02 AM
Not sure about the odds, but we've got a shot. To land him and Washington in this class would set us up "real nice" for a couple of yrs. at the end position.

BillyBall
5/24/2007, 09:39 AM

RJ doesnt remember the James Brown days...

Herr Scholz
5/24/2007, 10:11 AM
RJ doesnt remember the James Brown days...
That and I guess he went ahead and gave you that win vs. KSU. ;)

snp
5/24/2007, 10:59 AM
2008 Five Stars: 13-7

13. R.J. Washington
6-3, 245, DE, Keller (Texas) Fossil Ridge
Washington in action
Accolades: Broke the school record for sacks as a sophomore with 10, then followed that up with another 10-sack season in 2006. He also racked up 87 tackles and 18 tackles for a loss as a junior, helping him earn all-area, all-metro and all-state honors.
Why he's a five-star: "Washington is one of the better pass rushers in the country. His aggressiveness and quick first step make him a tough defender to stop when he comes off the edge. With 10 sacks in each season as both a sophomore and junior, he's also one of the more productive defensive lineman out there." – Rivals.com recruiting analyst John Talman
Washington says: "My strength is coming off of the ball, definitely. I also read the play real well and have game speed. I'm not as strong as I can be. That is where I need to improve the most."
Beyond the gridiron: Father was All-SWC defensive end/linebacker for SMU from 1978-1982 ... His mother, Sherri Wright, said Washington started walking when he was nine months old.
Top schools: Washington committed early to Oklahoma, turning down offers from schools like LSU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Florida, Florida State and Miami.

12. Shayne Hale
6-4, 225, LB, Monroeville (Pa.) Gateway
Accolades: As a junior he was selected to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Fabulous 22 and the Tribune-Review's Terrific 25. He was also a first team AAAA all-state selection by both the Associated Press and the Pennsylvania Football News.
Why he's a five-star: "Hale is a huge inside linebacker with surprising quickness. He's very fluid in his coverage drops and turns his hips well. Moving forward, he hits like a truck and covers a lot of area with his big frame and long arms. Hale could end up as a defensive end in college with his ability to rush the passer and quick first step, but he's more rare a commodity as a linebacker who could top out at 250 pounds." – Rivals.com national analyst Mike Farrell
Hale says: "I think most schools like me as a linebacker, but if I keep growing I might be a tight end or maybe a defensive end. I mean, football is my thing. I'll play any position. I'd like to stay at linebacker, but wherever a school wants me to play, I'll take it."
Beyond the gridiron: His cousin is teammate and fellow 2008 recruit Cameron Saddler … Ran an electronic 4.6-second time in the 40-yard dash as a sophomore at the State College NIKE Camp. He has been timed as fast as 4.5 lately.
Top schools: Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Virginia and Virginia Tech are his top schools. He says he does not have a leader at this point.

11. Tyron Smith
6-6, 264, OT, Moreno Valley (Calif.) Rancho Verde

Accolades: Earned all-area, all-CIF and all-league honors as a junior. Is a two-time most valuable player at the NIKE Training Camp. In 2006, he was named the MVP of the entire camp. In 2007, he was named the offensive line MVP. He would have won the award for the camp again, but NIKE decided to switch to a position-only award format. Had the top SPARQ Rating at the Long Beach NIKE Combine this spring, including a 31-inch vertical leap.
Why he's a five-star: "It's amazing to see him on film. For a kid that's that big, it's amazing that he's that athletic. He runs like he's a tight end trapped in an offensive lineman's body. He destroys guys at the line and then gets up to the next level. He has also dominated like nobody has at the NIKE Camps. He's truly a special player." – Rivals.com recruiting analyst Greg Biggins
His coach says: "He has long arms, great feet and is mean. He's just a big-time kid and is going to be a great football player. Off the field, he's soft-spoken and the nicest guy in the world. But on the field, he's an animal."
Beyond the gridiron: Rancho Verde coach Pete Duffy feels Smith might be the best prospect he has coached, and that includes former Los Angeles Freemont standouts Mark Bradford (Stanford) and Thomas Herring (USC).
Top schools: USC and UCLA lead, but he also has offers from Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Minnesota, Nebraska, Notre Dame and numerous others.
Vote: Should Tyron Smith be a five star?

10. Jermie Calhoun
6-0, 210, RB, Van (Texas)
Calhoun in action
Accolades: Was an all-state selection as a junior. Earned district MVP honors and a selection as the offensive player of the year. In 2006, he rushed for 1,726 yards and 22 touchdowns. He was great as a sophomore, too, rushing for 1,653 yards and 23 scores. He even dominated as a freshman with almost 1,000 yards rushing
Why he's a five-star: "Jermie Calhoun follows in the footsteps of other great running backs from the talent-rich area of East Texas. Like many others that have come before him, he is the total package. Calhoun not only brings size to the position, but also vision, balance, and quickness - making him a tough runner to tackle." – Rivals.com recruiting analyst John Talman
His coach says: "Jermie is a great leader. He makes people better. He just knows how to lead, works hard, does well in the classroom and is easy to coach. Jermie was also a key member of the state championship basketball team as a freshman and probably was the difference in winning the region. He made several key plays late in the regional games. He just takes over in whatever he does. He's that dominating."
Beyond the gridiron: Helped his team win the state basketball championship as a freshman… Has had a successful spring in track, running the 800-meter relay and the 400-meter relay.
Top schools: Calhoun committed to Oklahoma over offers from Alabama, Florida, LSU, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Texas A&M and several others.

9. DaQuan Bowers
6-4, 267, DE, Bamberg (S.C.) Ehrhardt
Bowers in action
Accolades: A Rivals.com Junior All-American, Bowers was a consensus Class 2A all-state selection as a junior. In 2006, he had 12 sacks. He led his team in tackles, tackles for a loss, rushing touchdowns and sacks.
Why he's a five-star: "Bowers is a powerful, athletic defensive line prospect and will rival former No. 1 overall pick Courtney Brown as the best prospect at his position to come out of the Palmetto State. He has the advanced athleticism needed to play strongside defensive end in the ACC, but also has huge long-term upside as a three technique defensive tackle. He showed off his athleticism last season by playing fullback part time for Bamberg-Ehrhardt High School, which also produced five-star defensive end Ricky Sapp in the Class of 2006. Sapp signed with Clemson and is slated to start next year." – Rivals.com recruiting analyst JC Shurburtt
His coach says: "A lot of coaches who have come through here have told me he's the best defensive lineman prospect in the state since William Perry."
Beyond the gridiron: Bowers is a longtime Clemson fan whose cousin, Chris Franklin, played football for the Tigers in the early 90s … Holds a 355-pound bench press max with a 595-pound squat … Runs the 40-yard dash in 4.65 seconds, and recently joined the track team where he competes in the 100-meter dash, the 200 and the shot-put… He ran an 11.5-second time in the 100 in his first meet this spring – all of this at 6-4 and 267 pounds.
Top schools: Bowers committed to Clemson in November 2006, picking the Tigers over scholarship offers from Florida, Georgia, Ohio State, Penn State, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia Tech

8. Michael Brewster
6-6, 305, OT, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater
Brewster in action
Accolades: A second-team all-county selection as a sophomore in 2005, then an all-county, all-area, all-metro and an all-state selection as a junior. He was also a Rivals.com Junior All-American.
Why he's a five-star: "Brewster is a complete offensive line prospect with excellent size, flexibility, athleticism and footwork. He also is very versatile and can play all five positions on the offensive line. I personally see him as a tackle in the long run, but I wouldn't rule him out playing early at another position. Brewster also is a great kid with high character who will have little trouble making the mental transition to college football. Either way you slice it, he's a potential three- to four-year starter at Ohio State. He is the crown jewel of this year's OSU offensive line class, which could be the best in the country." – Rivals.com recruiting analyst JC Shurburtt
Brewster says: "I have a real nasty streak, and I'll do what it takes to win. I'm a leader and can take control of a the game from the O-line. I play smart, and I'm always trying to help my team. I play with passion, but I'm also smart enough to not let things get out of control."
Beyond the gridiron: Brewster lived in Kansas City until the age of 4, when he moved to the Sunshine State. He still has family that lives in the Kansas City area … Will graduate early and enroll at Ohio State so he can participate in the Buckeyes' spring practices next March.
Top schools: Brewster had scholarship offers from Florida, USC, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Michigan, Florida State, Georgia and many others before he selected Ohio State.

7. Will Hill
6-3, 203, ATH, Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter's Prep
Hill in action
Accolades: Named Offensive Player of the Year in the state of New Jersey in 2006 after throwing for 758 yards and 11 touchdowns as a quarterback. He also had 682 yards rushing and 13 scores. Plus, he had two touchdowns on kickoff returns.
Why he's a five-star: "Will has tremendous athleticism and quick feet. He's a gamebreaker and ball hawk who could be a great player offensively or defensively at the next level. He prefers defense, and has the length and long arms to cover to go along with a physical nature. He is quick enough to play corner, but his range and hitting ability will put him at safety in college. He's dangerous whenever the ball is in his hands, even on defense." – Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Mike Farrell
His coach says: "I think his preference is to win. If he's given a choice to win and play defense, I think that's what his choice would be. But he'll do whatever. Obviously when you see him, he jumps off the film because of his offensive production, but he's a tremendous safety. Tremendous."
Beyond the gridiron: Has a 3.0 grade-point average … St. Peter's Prep first opened its doors in 1872 … Is coached by Rich Hansen.
Top schools: Hill still is open, listing offers from schools like Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and USC.
Vote: Should Will Hill be a five star?

Widescreen
5/24/2007, 11:22 AM
I'm pretty sure he was referring to Mack Brown and Stoops. That's actually 4:1.

Octavian
5/24/2007, 10:28 PM
so...if Brown decides to come to Norman, OU will have four 5-Stars in the '08 class?

not bad ;)

chbrew09
5/25/2007, 02:10 AM
Not sure about the odds, but we've got a shot. To land him and Washington in this class would set us up "real nice" for a couple of yrs. at the end position.

The word is we're all but out. We might have a "chance", but it's probably around 5% at this point. No big deal though...we'll make it happen with other guys. RJ was a huge pickup.

insuranceman_22
5/25/2007, 08:26 AM
So far we have 3 five stars commits. With a pretty good shot of at least one more, perhaps a couple. Then again, let's see where we are next Feb. and see how the "player rankings" have changed. These aren't the always the best predictors, but they are fun.

BillyBall
5/25/2007, 08:32 AM
Although I am a strong believer that recruiting services hype way too much, I am extremely pleased to see 3, 5-star players already committed.

snp
5/26/2007, 02:23 AM
so...if Brown decides to come to Norman, OU will have four 5-Stars in the '08 class?

not bad ;)

Maybe 5 with Chancey :cool:

snp
5/26/2007, 02:29 AM
Final 6

6. DeAngelo Tyson
6-2, 276, DT, Statesboro (Ga.)
Tyson in action
Accolades: Was part of a successful defensive line, which included Georgia signee Justin Houston, last season. A Rivals.com Junior All-American, Tyson dominated at the Athens NIKE Camp before the 2006 season. He racked up 72 tackles, 12 tackles for a loss and six sacks as a junior. He did all that with a knee injury that slowed him down a bit.
Why he's a five-star: "The first time I saw Tyson at the 2006 Athens NIKE Camp, I knew he was special. He was a rising sophomore then, but you could tell he had all the tools to be an elite defensive tackle. He's got good quickness and athleticism, and he's strong and plays that way. Even though he is already elite, his upside is huge because of his youth (he is young for his grade)."– Rivals.com recruiting analyst JC Shurburtt
Tyson says: "I use my hands at the line of scrimmage and use my size. I also have good quickness off the ball. I have a lot to work on, but they will see me (in college) sacking the quarterback and stopping the run."
Beyond the gridiron: Potentially could graduate early and enroll for the spring semester … Was UGA's ninth commitment for the class of 2008 … Is coached by Steve Pennington.
Top schools: Tyson picked Georgia on March 7, turning down scholarship offers from Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn, Clemson, Florida and others.

5. Nigel Bradham
6-2, 230, LB, Crawfordville (Fla.) Wakulla
Bradham in action
Accolades: A member of the Rivals.com Junior All-American Team. As a junior, he was a first-team Class 3A all-state selection by the Florida Sportswriters Association. He racked up 150 tackles, eight sacks and four interceptions as a junior. As a sophomore, he had 139 tackles.
Why he's a five-star: "Bradham has great size, speed and football instincts. He's a player that has all of the measurables, but also has a knack for making big plays. Bradham's drive is to be one of the best players ever to come out of the Tallahassee area. That's a tall task for anyone, but the fact that he has those goals and that he's aware of the challenge ahead of him gives him a great chance for success."– Rivals.com recruiting analyst JC Shurburtt
His coach says: "Usually you have linebackers that can either get off the block well or go sideline to sideline, or maybe even deliver the knockout hit. Well, Nigel is all of that in one player … that makes him really special."
Beyond the gridiron: Is coached by Scott Klees … Teammate C.J. Holton is also committed to Florida State … Bradham's mother, Rose Rucker, is a Florida Gators fan.
Top schools: Committed to Florida State on April 15, picking the Seminoles over Georgia, Ole Miss, Auburn and Florida. Despite his pledge, schools continue to recruit him.

4. A.J. Green
6-4, 184, WR, Summerville (S.C.)
Green in action
Accolades: After three years at Summerville, Green has 196 receptions for close to 4,000-yards and more than 40 touchdowns. Green was a member of the Rivals.com Junior All-American team, and he earned about every honor you could in his area.
Why he's a five-star: "Green has been the top wide receiver in South Carolina since his freshman year of high school. He's tall and can go up and get it. He is also very fast, and can run by you and get it that way, too. He has amazing hands. He also can make people miss in the open field and is a dangerous yards-after-catch threat. The key here is for Green to keep getting faster, keep getting stronger and keep getting better. If he does that, the sky is the limit. If he doesn't, he's still going to be a great college receiver."– Rivals.com recruiting analyst JC Shurburtt
Green says: "People have compared me to Randy Moss. They say I play like him, look like him, and all that kind of stuff, but I just want to be me. I just want to do the best I can do and be myself. My strengths are probably my size, my hands, and my speed."
Beyond the gridiron: Also plays basketball and runs track … His high school football coach, John McKissick, has coached for 54 years and has won more than 500 games.
Top schools: Green committed to Georgia early in the recruiting process, picking the Dawgs on Oct. 7, 2006. He had offers from South Carolina, Auburn, Clemson and others. He would have been one of the most heavily recruited players in the nation had he not committed early.

3. Julio Jones
6-4, 215, WR, Foley (Ala.)
Jones in action
Accolades: One of the most explosive prospects to come out of the state of Alabama in years. Jones finished his junior year with more than 1,200 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns. He also was impressive at the Baton Rouge NIKE camp last May, running a 4.56 40-yard dash and posting an event-best 38.9-inch vertical leap.
Why he's a five-star: "A 41-inch vertical leap, a 4.4-second 40-yard dash and a 6-4, 215-pound body are just three of the reasons Julio Jones is the top wide receiver prospect in the country this year. What's even more impressive than his athleticism, though, is the way he uses it on the field to make himself elusive enough to avoid potential tacklers and pick up huge chunks of yardage after the catch. When I saw him at the Hoover 7-on-7 last year, the word explosive just kept coming to mind. He dominated that event and made several Division I-A bound defensive backs look silly. During his high school season, Jones dominates against great competition in Mobile, which is an emerging area for elite talent."– Rivals.com recruiting analyst JC Shurburtt
His coach says: "The thing about Julio is he is so well grounded and mature for a guy his age. He has taken everything in stride, and he just works harder than he did before. He wants to be great and he's going to put in the work. I know he is going to be hit hard next year with all the attention, but I don't think it will change him at all. He's humble and hardworking, and that is going to carry him a long way."
Beyond the gridiron: Is coached by Todd Watson. Watson coached at Hoover before taking over at Foley in 2005 … Teammate Robert Lester, a safety prospect, is also being heavily recruited.
Top schools: Jones has a long list of schools after him, including Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina and West Virginia.

2. Darrell Scott
6-0, 215, RB, Ventura (Calif.) St. Bonaventure
Scott in action
Accolades: First-team all-league, all county, all-CIF and all-state underclass as a sophomore after he rushed for 1,988 yards and 19 touchdowns. He earned Rivals.com Junior All-American honors after posting 3,194 yards and 45 touchdowns in 2006.
Why he's a five-star: "Darrell is a physical player who does not shy away from contact and really finishes his runs well. He also played last year at Moorpark against one of the top schedules in the state, so he did all of his damage against the top competition in California. It's going to be truly exciting to see what he will do now that he's at St. Bonaventure. Without a doubt, he's one of the best backs that I've seen in my years of covering high school football in California." – Rivals.com recruiting analyst Rick Kimbrel
His coach says: "Darrell is the total package. He's a strong runner who can run right through you, but he also has the speed to get outside. He's going to be a big-time player for us."
Beyond the gridiron: Has lived in Florida, Texas and California … Played as a junior at Moorpark High School, but moved to play as a senior at St. Bonaventure … Scott says he hears comparisons in his playing style to Adrian Peterson and Edgerrin James.
Top schools: Scott says he's wide open, but will take official visits to three schools – Michigan, Florida and LSU. He also lists Cal, Colorado, Florida State, Miami, USC, Texas and UCLA among his top teams.

1. Terrelle Pryor
6-6, 220, QB, Jeannette (Pa.)
Pryor in action
Accolades: As a junior he was a first team Class AA all-state selection as a specialist in football and state runner-up for player of the year. In basketball he was also first team all-state. He was also a member of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Fabulous Five and the Pittsburgh Tribune's Terrific 10. He threw for 1,732 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2006. Also rushed for an additional 1,676 yards and 29 touchdowns.
Why he's a five-star: "Pryor is a rare prospect because of his size and speed at the quarterback position. He's a glider who doesn't look to be running at full speed, yet he's rarely caught. He's more dangerous as a runner right now, but he has a strong arm and has adequate accuracy. Pryor is still raw as a prospect, but his upside is off the charts. Compared to Vince Young, Pryor is a franchise quarterback in the making." – Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Mike Farrell
His coach says: "We actually started the comparison between him and Vince Young because it's really the only one there is when you see him. It comes from the coaches and community, because that's who he can become. He has the potential to be the next Vince Young of college football, and we don't say that lightly."
Beyond the gridiron: His football coach is Ray Reitz … Plans to sign a letter-of-intent for football, but will play both sports in college … Says he received between 150 and 200 text messages a day.
Top schools: Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, USC, Texas and West Virginia.

It's still a travesty that Bradham is rated above Brown. Sooners are still after Julio Jones.

MojoRisen
5/29/2007, 05:16 PM
Maybe 5 with Chancey :cool:

What about Jameel Owens and Brandon Beachum - are we still high in the running for these two- that could make 7 legit top 100.

melbitoast
5/29/2007, 08:13 PM
I really don't like the first Rivals100 that came out today. How the F is Landry Jones not in the top 100? 54 total TDs, only 6 picks. And where the hell is JJ??? Scout is all over his n*ts, and Rivals doesn't even tag him in the top 100??
Don't get me wrong, Rivals gets out news faster than Scout, but I really do not like this list. Silver lining, I know this list is early and things will change.