PDA

View Full Version : 1990 National Title Question

SteelClip49
5/21/2007, 10:52 PM
It was on ESPN Classic today and before the start of the game, it had Colorado's record, (10-1-1) and ranking (#1 in both polls). I would think had they won the game, which they did, they would be the outright national champion. Georgia Tech entered the Citrus Bowl with a (10-0-1) record, obviously not #1 in either poll.

My question is, did GT win the UPI title based on their 45-21 win over Nebraska or Colorado winning by 1 over Notre Dame?

Jdog
5/21/2007, 11:25 PM
It was on ESPN Classic today and before the start of the game, it had Colorado's record, (10-1-1) and ranking (#1 in both polls). I would think had they won the game, which they did, they would be the outright national champion. Georgia Tech entered the Citrus Bowl with a (10-0-1) record, obviously not #1 in either poll.

My question is, did GT win the UPI title based on their 45-21 win over Nebraska or Colorado winning by 1 over Notre Dame?

GT may have won a share because of the 5 downs that it took CU to score a game winning touchdown against Mizzou - or maybe it was the end of the Orange bowl when ND had the punt return called back.

In reallity - CU shouldn't have been playing for a championship - but the Sal Anesie humanitarian story had been blown out of proportion the year before - so everyone in the press wanted them to win. I think both teams started to split the polls with 3 or 4 games left in the season. It was one of the worst seasons for college football that I can remember - and it didn't help that I was living at Boulder at the time.

oumartin
5/21/2007, 11:40 PM
I am glad Colorado won.

okienole3
5/21/2007, 11:46 PM
Saint Sal knocked up the coach's daughter. I read an article a while back that said T.C. McCartney, Sal's son raised by Bill, would be a "priority walk-on" with Let'r Rip at LSU.

Seamus
5/22/2007, 12:44 AM
McCartney's daughter was quite the recruiting inducement. She had a kid with another player too. Can't recall who, but I'm thinking Darius Holland.

oumartin
5/22/2007, 12:50 AM
yeah, I took my visit there just to be with her! :D

Seamus
5/22/2007, 02:45 AM
Heh. This came up on a Google search:

SoonerFans (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14896)

sooneron
5/22/2007, 10:49 AM
Cu never should have sniffed the MNC just for the misery win and the 5th down.

jkjsooner
5/22/2007, 08:55 PM
Cu never should have sniffed the MNC just for the misery win and the 5th down.

Okay, let's say we (OU) are playing someone and with time running out and the down marker is on 3rd down. We down the ball to stop the clock. We score on the final play. Then let's say the refs come in and say, "Sorry, we were wrong. You downed the ball on 4th down. You lose." What would you think?

The fact is, the refs messed up. There was no fair outcome once they made their mistake. Had the down markers been correct, Colorado would have had time to attempt to score on the real 4th down. It would have been a rushed play and their odds of scoring would have been significantly reduced but they still had a shot. One thing I know for sure, they would not have spiked the ball on 4th down.....

I hated Colorado in the early '90s but call a spade a spade.

okienole3
5/22/2007, 10:54 PM
Was she hawt?

goingoneight
5/22/2007, 11:32 PM
Okay, let's say we (OU) are playing someone and with time running out and the down marker is on 3rd down. We down the ball to stop the clock. We score on the final play. Then let's say the refs come in and say, "Sorry, we were wrong. You downed the ball on 4th down. You lose." What would you think?

The fact is, the refs messed up. There was no fair outcome once they made their mistake. Had the down markers been correct, Colorado would have had time to attempt to score on the real 4th down. It would have been a rushed play and their odds of scoring would have been significantly reduced but they still had a shot. One thing I know for sure, they would not have spiked the ball on 4th down.....

... and a duck a duck.

Jdog
5/25/2007, 05:04 PM

I have to agree with the duck duck comment - CU shouldn't have been playing for a National title with 1 lose, one tie and a 5th down win against a weak Mizzou team. That was the first thing I thought of after the Oregan on side kick > the 5th down game.

I remember watching that game on TV with a bunch of CU people - in Boulder- and we were all at first thinking, "what was Johnson doing spiking the ball on 4th down" - then they showed the down marker. We count back and it was going to be 5th down - I think I remember there being two 3rd downs. The first third down didn't go anywhere and the second was the spike. Time would have run out had it not been for the spike.
Billy Mc was known as a bad clock manager - what a break

King Crimson
5/25/2007, 05:11 PM
i've heard McCartney and CU QB Charles Johnson talk on the radio about that series of downs and they clearly thought it was 3rd down.

or, at minimum, they have their story straight. McCartney's most talented team was the 94 team that laid an egg in Lincoln. there was some sick talent on that team.

Jdog
5/25/2007, 05:12 PM
Saint Sal knocked up the coach's daughter. I read an article a while back that said T.C. McCartney, Sal's son raised by Bill, would be a "priority walk-on" with Let'r Rip at LSU.

knocked up the daugther and then died of cancer.
Got to give Bill a lot of credit for how he handled the whole situation with his daughter. I think it's what made him quit coaching - and commit more to his promise keepers organization.

Jdog
5/25/2007, 05:22 PM
i've heard McCartney and CU QB Charles Johnson talk on the radio about that series of downs and they clearly thought it was 3rd down.

or, at minimum, they have their story straight. McCartney's most talented team was the 94 team that laid an egg in Lincoln. there was some sick talent on that team.

I think your right about the 94 team - they kicked our butt - and of course the Michigan game was a classic.

Octavian
5/25/2007, 05:50 PM
McCartney's most talented team was the 94 team that laid an egg in Lincoln. there was some sick talent on that team.

agreed...I thought they'd roll right through to the NCG that year...Salaam, Stewart, Westbrook, Fauria...they were good.

That team beat Michigan on the Hail Mary in Ann Arbor, beat Texas in Austin, donkey stomped us (not that we were very good),

...but then got thumped by the Corn. Gives ya an idea of how good those Nebraska squads were in Tom's last five years....

Colorado had a golden opportunity to cement themselves as a perennial heavyweight after Switzer's departure left a power vacuum in the Big 8. CU probably was the most talent rich team in the conference for 4 or 5 years in a row...but Nebraska kicked it into overdrive and McCartney left.

As for 1990, a lot of jokes are made about the fifth down and the "phantom" clip, but Hagan and Bienemy were a damn good tandem. If they wouldn't have laid an egg the year before in the Orange Bowl against ND, they would've been going for a repeat in '90.

King Crimson
5/25/2007, 06:22 PM
agreed...I thought they'd roll right through to the NCG that year...Salaam, Stewart, Westbrook, Fauria...they were good.

That team beat Michigan on the Hail Mary in Ann Arbor, beat Texas in Austin, donkey stomped us (not that we were very good),

...but then got thumped by the Corn. Gives ya an idea of how good those Nebraska squads were in Tom's last five years....

Colorado had a golden opportunity to cement themselves as a perennial heavyweight after Switzer's departure left a power vacuum in the Big 8. CU probably was the most talent rich team in the conference for 4 or 5 years in a row...but Nebraska kicked it into overdrive and McCartney left.

As for 1990, a lot of jokes are made about the fifth down and the "phantom" clip, but Hagan and Bienemy were a damn good tandem. If they wouldn't have laid an egg the year before in the Orange Bowl against ND, they would've been going for a repeat in '90.

next time that hail mary game is on ESPN classic....check how many future NFL players are on each roster. it's Ty Law who gets beat on the tip.

i was kind of surprised Salaam was such a bust in the NFL. i guess there was the marijuana thing....but, i'm not sure that was a sufficient explanation. he was a classic back out of the I in college.

OSUAggie
5/25/2007, 06:24 PM
It's not like ND was terrible in the '89 season. They forced a few of those 42 fumbles in the Orange Bowl.

SteelClip49
5/25/2007, 07:41 PM
I figure since Colorado was handed a break in 1990, they almost received one in 2001. They were just .05 behind Nebraska in the final BCS standings before the bowls. Apparently the 62-36 win wasn't enough. Colorado could have been the first team to play for the national title with 2 losses (they lost to Fresno in their first game).

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/25/2007, 08:00 PM
It's not like ND was terrible in the '89 season. They forced a few of those 42 fumbles in the Orange Bowl.Yeah, bravo for freakin' notre dame

King Crimson
5/25/2007, 08:02 PM
I figure since Colorado was handed a break in 1990, they almost received one in 2001. They were just .05 behind Nebraska in the final BCS standings before the bowls. Apparently the 62-36 win wasn't enough. Colorado could have been the first team to play for the national title with 2 losses (they lost to Fresno in their first game).

see below. double post of sorts.

King Crimson
5/25/2007, 08:06 PM
the biggest break CU got in 01 was Chris Simms giftwrapping 21 points for them. in TExas Stadium.

ric311
5/26/2007, 11:00 AM
*sigh*

Why oh why does Kristy McCartney have to be brought into every discussion of Coach Mac?

Listen, I went to high school with Kristy. She's a nice girl who made some mistakes in her life. We've all done that.

I also find it ironic that you'd begrudge CU it's one and only MNC after you've won what, 6 or 7 of them? What's it to you anyway? sheesh.

King Crimson
5/26/2007, 11:02 AM
7. ric311, talk about a blast from the past.

whaddup?

ric311
5/26/2007, 12:15 PM
7. ric311, talk about a blast from the past.

whaddup?

Working like crazy. It's hard for me to be on this board much because I can't really access it at home because I'm still on dial-up, and this board takes too much bandwidth. At work I have to be careful about the timing of when I'm on. I'm at work today, but it's Saturday and nobody cares if I'm using company bandwidth on a Saturday.

Plus I managed to find a CU website that doesn't suck, so I'm there more often than not. We actually have a couple Sooners that show up from time to time that I don't want to impale on a sharp stick. Most of their time is spent fighting with the nebr*******s and whorns that show up. It's kind of funny.

King Crimson
5/26/2007, 12:34 PM
which board? i read netbuffs and allbuffs from time to time.

Salt City Sooner
5/26/2007, 12:36 PM
Nebraska did it in '81. They entered the Orange Bowl contest with top ranked Clemson ranked #4. #3 'Bama had lost earlier in the day to Texas in the Cotton Bowl, & #2 Georgia was upset by Pitt in New Orleans, in a game that ended before the Orange Bowl. Thusly, 2 loss NU ended up playing for the title every bit as much as Clemson was. Then came the Fridge..... :eek:

Seamus
5/26/2007, 01:35 PM
She's a nice girl who made some mistakes in her life.

I don't suppose she made any movies she's not particularly proud of, and if so, where can you get them? :rolleyes:

ric311
6/16/2007, 11:24 AM
which board? i read netbuffs and allbuffs from time to time.

allbuffs.com. net-turds is teh succ. I think I may hate those idiots more than *ebraska.

OK, maybe not, but they suck sweaty donkey balls just the same.

royalfan5
6/16/2007, 11:31 AM
I have the theory that Nebraska's destruction of Colorado in 1992 in the rain on Halloween marked the effective end of the Buffs as a contender for awhile, much as their 62-36 win did to NU nine years later.

ric311
6/16/2007, 11:43 AM
I have the theory that Nebraska's destruction of Colorado in 1992 in the rain on Halloween marked the effective end of the Buffs as a contender for awhile, much as their 62-36 win did to NU nine years later.

You can have that opinion, but you'd be incorrect. It was Coach McCartney retiring after the 1994 season that began the slide. Four years with Neuhisal and five years with Barnett have not been kind. Even so, CU was within a fraction of a point of playing in the Rose Bowl in 2001 for the national championship. You guys are probably not as tuned in to this stuff as I am, but I genuinely believe Hawkins will do wonderful things here. Having heard him speak, it's a night-and-day difference compared to Barnett. I've heard it said that Hawkins is the only guy who could convince the CEO of Ford that he needs to buy a Chevy and I believe it. As much as the "scandal" has hurt, there's no denying that the changes that have been brought on as the result have been extremely positive. From the President of the University on down, things are really better here. I say that after a 2-10 football season and a 7-25 basketball season. Bzdelik and Hawkins are the real deal.

OK, now back to whatever you were talking about before...

royalfan5
6/16/2007, 11:52 AM
You can have that opinion, but you'd be incorrect. It was Coach McCartney retiring after the 1994 season that began the slide. Four years with Neuhisal and five years with Barnett have not been kind. Even so, CU was within a fraction of a point of playing in the Rose Bowl in 2001 for the national championship. You guys are probably not as tuned in to this stuff as I am, but I genuinely believe Hawkins will do wonderful things here. Having heard him speak, it's a night-and-day difference compared to Barnett. I've heard it said that Hawkins is the only guy who could convince the CEO of Ford that he needs to buy a Chevy and I believe it. As much as the "scandal" has hurt, there's no denying that the changes that have been brought on as the result have been extremely positive. From the President of the University on down, things are really better here. I say that after a 2-10 football season and a 7-25 basketball season. Bzdelik and Hawkins are the real deal.

OK, now back to whatever you were talking about before...
I think Hawkins will have CU back sooner than later, but 1992 is when NU clearly passed CU by for conference supremacy at that time.

sooneron
6/16/2007, 03:18 PM

Strongly disagree, colorado got away with one on that. I would have no trouble admitting we didn't deserve the win. The coordinators up in the box don't need to look at the markers to see what down it is. They KNOW what down it is. Some cu fan sold you some snake oil.

sooneron
6/16/2007, 03:24 PM
Even so, CU was within a fraction of a point of playing in the Rose Bowl in 2001 for the national championship.
I've missed your posts, ric, but how bad would cu have gotten the beatdown from miami- it would have been very similar to the OB in 05.

ric311
6/16/2007, 10:48 PM
I've missed your posts, ric, but how bad would cu have gotten the beatdown from miami- it would have been very similar to the OB in 05.

Very likely it would have been ugly. CU was a pretty one-dimensional team in 2001. Run Chris Brown down the opponents throat behind two future NFL O-Linemen (Andre Gurode and Victor Rogers). The receivers were pedestrian except for TE Daniel Graham (now with the Broncos), and the QB was average at best. The defense was OK, but not terrific. It was a simple game plan, run the ball, control the clock, wear down your opponent. It worked a lot, but it probably wouldn't have worked against Miami. Of course, that's really the best way to attack Miami - run it right at them. Negate their team speed by putting a hat on every player and move him out of the way. I don't think CU's defense would have stood up very well against the UM offense, though.

Oh, and some schmuck neg repped me for this thread. Kiss my azz whoever you are. I've probably been here longer than you.

SAWEEEET - look at all that neg rep I got. Just from one guy, too. Another who won't tell me his/her name. I'm crushed. Funny also that I've gotten both positive and neg rep from the same post. You guys slay me.