PDA

View Full Version : The Coen Brothers New Film - "No Country for Old Men"

KC//CRIMSON
5/21/2007, 10:43 PM
The buzz machine slammed the French Riviera this weekend. Its target was one film: The Coen Brothers' noir-tinged, darkly comical and meditative Western, "No Country for Old Men." Critics and audiences have gone berserk over the film, and the Coens and their cast of Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin are already fielding Oscar questions (Tommy Lee Jones would be as well, but the notoriously testy actor steered clear of Cannes). A colleague wrote me late last night and asked whether the hype was justified, whether the Oscar talk could possibly be true. I can't predict anything about the Oscars, because Miramax won't release the film until November. But I can answer the first question.

Yes, it's that good and, no, it's not overhyped. I'm a rabid Coen Brothers fan, and for me, this near masterpiece is their best, most mature and beautiful work since 1990's "Miller's Crossing" ("The Big Lebowski" is on another plane, so I can't even compare the two). But I won't use the M word until I've seen it again — which I almost did this morning (I've never seen a film twice at the same festival) — until I saw the line around the block.

For those unaware, "No Country for Old Men" is the Coens' adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's 2003 novel (if you haven't read it, you should; I think it's better than his recent Pulitzer Prize-winning "The Road"). In retrospect, the pair seems perfect. "Country" is McCarthy's most accessible novel, a genre blur loaded with the type of colorful, local characters (West Texas, in this case) and the sharp, pitch-black funny dialogue that the Coens have written for more than two decades. It starts when ex-'Nam vet Llewlyn Moss (Brolin, in the type of rugged performance for which the word "breakthrough" was created) blindly stumbles upon a horrific desert scene while hunting: dead bodies and shot-up pickup trucks littering the sand. Inside one of the trucks, Moss finds enough heroin to keep a city on the nod for years and a case full of $2 million. When he decides to grab the money, he sets off a chain reaction of cataclysmic events for everyone involved. And there are a lot of everyones in "Country." There is Moss's wife, Carla Jean (Kelly Macdonald), whose unquestioning trust of her husband drives his insane ambition; there's Sheriff Bell (Jones, born to play this role), who knows Moss is in over his head and tries to chase him down; there's bounty hunter Carson Wells (Woody Harrelson), who's simply tracking Moss and the money as another paid gig; and most importantly, there is Chigurh (Bardem ... sure, start the Oscar talk), a Mexican assassin with a page-boy haircut, a ghost-white face, pink eyes and a coin he likes to flip for human lives. Chigurh is death and violence embodied; rarely has there been a badass like this on the big screen, one who kills for pure pleasure, without conscience and just because, well, as Nick Cave once sang, "All God's creatures, they all gotta die."

The plot is labyrinthine and ambiguous, but the Coens handle it with ease. It's bloody and messy, but also laugh-out-loud funny ("I laugh to myself sometimes," says Bell. "It's all you can do") and startlingly creepy. Good chunks of the film are shot in silence, with little, if no music, and only the Texas wind on the soundtrack. It's the sound of a country withering and dying, where money is worth any sacrifice, where violence has escalated to the point of inane hysteria and a simple, aging sheriff like Bell muses about "dismal tides" that he can no longer contain. And this is, at its core, what "No Country for Old Men" is about: an America now without logic, reason or conscience.

We're only halfway through the festival, but it looks like a two-horse race between "No Country" and "4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days" for the Palme d'Or. And win or not, prepare yourself for "No Country": It'll floor you.

Lunch With the "Men"

How much did "No Country" floor me? So much so that I agreed to join the Coens, Brolin, Bardem and a small horde of quote-hungry journalists at a roundtable lunch on Sunday afternoon. I never do these. My reason for attending this time was simple: I just wanted to meet the Coen Brothers (though I must say that Bardem is one of the more thoughtful, intelligent actors I've met, and Brolin's enthusiasm for actually being in a good movie was endearing). And I did ... and I gushed to Ethan Coen like a silly fan ... but I had to suffer through some brutal personalities and ridiculous questions to do so. Honestly, I don't understand how people do roundtable discussions for a living. It was brutal. I was eating lunch and nearly spit out my food half a dozen times. I only had one question, actually: Did the duo show the movie to McCarthy and, if so, what was his reaction? "Yes, we did," said Joel Coen. And? "He sat through the whole thing. We heard him laugh a few times." So, will you be doing "The Road"? While laughing, Ethan and Joel simultaneously answered a resounding "No!" That was it for me. I got up and headed to another movie.:cool:

By Dave McCoy
MSN Movies

Trailer for "No Country for Old Men"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBqmKSAHc6w

picasso
5/21/2007, 11:14 PM
"coitus?????"

Frozen Sooner
5/22/2007, 12:02 AM
IN

Blue
5/22/2007, 12:09 AM
MOS DEF IN.

AlbqSooner
5/22/2007, 06:29 AM
"coitus?????"
It used to be a fast food place at NW 39th and Penn in OKC.:D

birddog
5/22/2007, 07:45 AM
SWEET!

one of the only reasons i go to the pictures anymore.

birddog
5/22/2007, 07:54 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477348/

nov. 21st :mad:

maybe it'll come out on utvpc before then.:D

KC//CRIMSON
11/5/2007, 01:16 PM
Opens this Friday. http://www.nocountryforoldmen-themovie.com/

93% http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/tomatoes/fresh.gif http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/no_country_for_old_men/ http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/tomatoes/fresh.gif

The sociopath "Anton Chigurh"
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/news/ncfom.jpg

sooneron
11/5/2007, 01:51 PM
In and I get to see it Wed night. :D

yermom
11/5/2007, 02:41 PM
i'm all over this :D

Widescreen
11/5/2007, 02:41 PM
(Tommy Lee Jones would be as well, but the notoriously testy actor steered clear of Cannes).
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZCHT5HVJL._SS500_.jpg
I'd be testy too.

KC//CRIMSON
11/8/2007, 08:56 PM
In and I get to see it Wed night. :D

Well, we're waiting!
http://bushwoodopen.com/index.1.jpg

birddog
11/9/2007, 10:34 AM
nice to meet you good sir.

doesn't look like it's opening in okc yet.

KC//CRIMSON
11/9/2007, 02:03 PM
nice to meet you good sir.

doesn't look like it's opening in okc yet.

Crap. It's only in select theaters this weekend and KC isn't one of them.:mad:

Will have to wait until the 21st.

sooneron
11/9/2007, 02:47 PM
Well, we're waiting!
http://bushwoodopen.com/index.1.jpg
Flippin awesome!

Like Fargo mixed with Blood Simple Awesome. I am not even a TLJ fan, but he is really dead on. Everyone is gud.

Okla-homey
11/24/2007, 09:14 AM
saw it last night. Only one theater in Tulsa (AMC 20 on 41st)

I loved it. Riveting. Although the end is a little disconcerting. Very violent, but that's cool.

For purposes of full disclosure, Mrs. Homey didn't like it, but she hates "Fargo" too.

soonerbrat
11/24/2007, 09:43 AM
she hates Fargo?

olevetonahill
11/24/2007, 09:47 AM
Iffen It aint a Country fer Old men . why in hell would I want to go ???

Harry Beanbag
11/24/2007, 10:35 AM
They have the Natty. :)

olevetonahill
11/24/2007, 10:47 AM
They have the Natty. :)
IN :D

KC//CRIMSON
11/24/2007, 11:54 AM
Went and saw this in Tulsa yesterday. In a word:

EXCELLENCE.

royalfan5
11/24/2007, 11:56 AM
I concur

usmc-sooner
11/24/2007, 12:02 PM
One of the best movies I've seen in a looooooooooooooong time.

King Crimson
11/24/2007, 12:10 PM
i'm thinking about catching the bus out to the super-theatres in the suburbs maybe tomorrow or monday (day off).

KC//CRIMSON
11/24/2007, 12:25 PM
I'm gonna have to watch it again or rent it on dvd. I missed hearing the last five minutes or so.

People, if your sick and coughing and hacking, stay the F home. Don't bring that loud and nasty *hit to the theater.:mad:

usmc-sooner
11/24/2007, 01:51 PM
I'm gonna have to watch it again or rent it on dvd. I missed hearing the last five minutes or so.

People, if your sick and coughing and hacking, stay the F home. Don't bring that loud and nasty *hit to the theater.:mad:

I liked it so much I went and bought the book, couldn't put it down. Read it in two days. Some small differences (not much) and it explains a few more things. It's worth reading.

I still have some questions though. Really, really good movie.

King Crimson
11/24/2007, 02:06 PM
I liked it so much I went and bought the book, couldn't put it down. Read it in two days. Some small differences (not much) and it explains a few more things. It's worth reading.

you might like Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian as well.

KC//CRIMSON
11/24/2007, 07:22 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about buying the book before hand, but never did. Now I think I will.

It was only showing in one theater on one screen, and the place was completely sold out. Too much noise around to hear every word. Ugh.

Question for those that have seen it: How far into the movie before you realized it wasn't "present time?" I didn't notice for quite a while. Which is weird since I usually pick that right up.

Okla-homey
11/24/2007, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about buying the book before hand, but never did. Now I think I will.

It was only showing in one theater on one screen, and the place was completely sold out. Too much noise around to hear every word. Ugh.

Question for those that have seen it: How far into the movie before you realized it wasn't "present time?" I didn't notice for quite a while. Which is weird since I usually pick that right up.

Pretty quick. The clothes and the vehicles.

KC//CRIMSON
11/24/2007, 09:57 PM
Pretty quick. The clothes and the vehicles.

I didn't notice until there was a scene with several cars driving down the street. I guess I just figured in small town po-dunk far west texas everyone dressed liked that. ;)

royalfan5
11/25/2007, 12:04 AM

I knew the time frame going in.

Okla-homey
11/25/2007, 08:20 AM
I didn't notice until there was a scene with several cars driving down the street. I guess I just figured in small town po-dunk far west texas everyone dressed liked that. ;)

Modern podunkers don't wear them there roachkickers these days. You also don't see them wearing Levi's much.;)

SteelClip49
11/25/2007, 01:02 PM
where the hell is my combined threat posting at??? Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I saw it last Wednesday, and yes the ending was kind of unexpected but definitely an Oscar worthy thriller.

In honor of the great work done by the Coen Brothers, I ended up watching The Big Lebowski....ahhhhhhh, great people those brothers are.

soonerbrat
11/25/2007, 01:24 PM

OK, I will stay home today.

goodonya
11/26/2007, 03:05 PM
"It's the sound of a country withering and dying, where money is worth any sacrifice, where violence has escalated to the point of inane hysteria and a simple, aging sheriff like Bell muses about "dismal tides" that he can no longer contain."

Saw it yesterday. The above is gospel. Bardem now shares that most exclusive membership in the truly twisted and evil club.

tbl
12/8/2007, 11:43 AM
That movie was intense. I'm still not sure exactly how to take it, especially the last 1/4. I'm one of the biggest Coen brothers fans, but that one didn't sit well with me. Much more intense than Fargo, but at least in Fargo there was some closure.

Still... great filmmaking. I was on the edge of my seat for a lot of the movie and had more than a few intense flinches.

SeattleOUstudent
12/8/2007, 11:56 AM
right, I agree. Ill put it at the top for my favorite film of the year, so far. Then again, we ARE at the beginning of the awards season.

Frozen Sooner
12/8/2007, 03:13 PM
Excellent film. Simply excellent. A fine example of the cinematographer's art.

tbl
12/9/2007, 01:05 AM
I don't know of a villain that can top Cheger... I think the best display of that was the coin toss in the gas station.

How about some props for Josh Brolin? Brand from the Goonies could be making a comeback. I thought his portrayal of Llewelyn was top notch.

sooneron
12/12/2007, 04:39 PM
The wife was good too. She had some classic moments and her last scene was dead on.

I gotta pick up the book, the mrs. and I are in disagreement on the ending.

soonerbrat
12/12/2007, 04:40 PM
I slept through most of it.

tbl
12/12/2007, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure how thats possible...

silverwheels
12/12/2007, 04:52 PM
Amazing movie. One of the most tense I've ever seen. My heart was racing the whole time.

KC//CRIMSON
12/12/2007, 09:04 PM
The Golden Globe nominations come out tomorrow morning.

Javier Bardem should be a lock.

Okla-homey
12/12/2007, 11:15 PM
FWIW, The only thing tough to swallow was the do-it-yourself medical procedures. I don't care if you're the baddest stone cold stud evar...nobody is going to be able to do the stuff that guy did to himself without passing flat out. IOW, you can't out-gut shock. I don't care who ya are.

KC//CRIMSON
12/12/2007, 11:33 PM
If you're numbed up and have a strong stomach you could do it. I've had to change several wound dressings on myself that were flat out distgusting when I was younger and made it out okay. No prob.

Okla-homey
12/12/2007, 11:40 PM
If you're numbed up and have a strong stomach you could do it. I've had to change several wound dressings on myself that were flat out distgusting when I was younger and made it out okay. No prob.

Hey kid, sell me your shirt.

Right.

Sooner_Bob
12/13/2007, 08:21 AM
Sounds like something I should add to my watch list.

picasso
12/13/2007, 01:56 PM
I loved the nude scenes.

soonerbrat
12/13/2007, 01:57 PM
I loved the nude scenes.

nude scenes? i slept through the wrong parts.

KC//CRIMSON
12/13/2007, 01:57 PM
Four nominations: Best Picture - Best Director - Best Screenplay - Best Supporting Actor

tbl
12/14/2007, 12:30 AM
Amazing movie. One of the most tense I've ever seen. My heart was racing the whole time.
That's as good a description as any. "Tense" pretty much sums it up.

Okla-homey
12/14/2007, 06:41 AM
Four nominations: Best Picture - Best Director - Best Screenplay - Best Supporting Actor

...and don't forget the Academy Award nomination. "Best Movie Ever." If it wins, it replaces "Highlander."

sooneron
12/14/2007, 09:18 AM
I don't know if it's the best picture, but it is a movie that had me still thinking about it days later. And I'm not talking about the shoot out stuff. That is a sign of a good film for me.

picasso
12/19/2007, 01:28 PM
loved the movie. dint like the ending.

I was hoping the sheriff was going to be walking through the bedroom door after the funeral.:cool:

btw, great cinematography, and Brolin was dead frickin on. He could have any number of guys who walk into the shop here.

picasso
12/19/2007, 05:11 PM
ah I just read they've canceled plans for a sequel: "No Country for Grumpy Old Men." ha ha, due to the fact that Lemon and Matthau are dead-like...he he, get it? oh I slay me.

tbl
12/19/2007, 05:54 PM
I know... nobody likes an ending like that. At least I don't. It leaves me feeling very unsettled. Yet I still felt like the movie was pretty awesome overall.

silverwheels
12/20/2007, 02:43 AM
I loved the ending. I don't know what was wrong with it.

tbl
12/20/2007, 12:02 PM
I don't know, maybe the bad guy won?

usmc-sooner
12/20/2007, 12:05 PM
I don't know, maybe the bad guy won?

that's the way the book went

dolemitesooner
12/20/2007, 12:35 PM
that's the way the book wentThats why it is a great ****ing movie.

The bad guys should win more often.

usmc-sooner
12/20/2007, 12:37 PM
I agree I thought it was great.

picasso
12/20/2007, 01:07 PM
hey ya goobs, this is a SO movie thread, spoiler tags need not apply.

tbl
12/21/2007, 08:50 AM
Good then. I've posted spoilers before and had some people cry about it, so I didn't want to upset the sensitive folk. ;)

birddog
12/23/2007, 10:52 AM
i loved it. i kept thinking of the video games manhunt and grand theft auto. it sort of had the feel of those two combined.

Harry Beanbag
12/26/2007, 07:09 AM
Rules. I can't remember the last time I was that "into" a movie.

tbl
12/26/2007, 10:12 AM
You do get seriously absorbed, right? That's why it didn't settle well at all. You get relationships established with all these "good guys", and only one of them lives.

KC//CRIMSON
1/8/2008, 11:26 AM
No Country For Old Men wins big at Critics Choice Awards

Best Picture-Best Director-Best Supporting Actor

Check out Javier Bardem's acceptance speech.:cool:

http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/promoimages/shows/c/critics_choice_awards_2007/promos/08/343x194.jpg

http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/critics_choice_awards/_2008/videos.jhtml

Harry Beanbag
1/8/2008, 04:55 PM
This movie is still in my head two weeks later. I think I may have to go see it again.

SoonerInKCMO
1/8/2008, 09:25 PM
I only had one question, actually: Did the duo show the movie to McCarthy and, if so, what was his reaction? "Yes, we did," said Joel Coen. And? "He sat through the whole thing. We heard him laugh a few times." So, will you be doing "The Road"? While laughing, Ethan and Joel simultaneously answered a resounding "No!" That was it for me. I got up and headed to another movie.:cool:

The question I have is: will anyone be doing "The Road"? That was a great book with the potential for being a kick-*** movie.

tbl
1/8/2008, 11:16 PM
No Country For Old Men wins big at Critics Choice Awards

Best Picture-Best Director-Best Supporting Actor

Check out Javier Bardem's acceptance speech.:cool:

http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/promoimages/shows/c/critics_choice_awards_2007/promos/08/343x194.jpg

http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/critics_choice_awards/_2008/videos.jhtml
That's the first speech I've ever seen where I truly felt the guy was humble. At least the only one I can remember...

Gotta love the Spaniards.

KC//CRIMSON
1/22/2008, 02:16 PM
'No Country for Old Men,' 'There Will Be Blood' Lead Oscar Nominations With Eight Nods Each

Nobody knows what this year's Oscar telecast will look like due to the ongoing writers' strike, but one thing is for sure: "There Will Be Blood." The acclaimed Golden Globe-winning story of a California oilman starring Daniel Day-Lewis was one of the leading nominees for the 80th annual Academy Awards, along with multiple nominees "No Country for Old Men," "Atonement" and "Michael Clayton."

Among the surprise multiple nominees was teenage pregnancy comedy "Juno," which snagged nods for Ellen Page for Best Actress, first-time scripter Diablo Cody for Best Original Screenplay, Jason Reitman for Best Director, as well as a bid for Best Picture.

The Best Picture race is a strong one, pitting the George Clooney legal drama "Michael Clayton" against the Coen brothers-directed drug thriller "No Country for Old Men," against "Blood," the decade-spanning British romance "Atonement" and "Juno." "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood" earned eight nominations each, while "Michael Clayton" and "Atonement" scored seven.

The Best Actor race features nominees George Clooney for "Michael Clayton," Johnny Depp for his murderous take in "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street," the always intense Daniel Day-Lewis in "Blood," Viggo Mortensen for the Russian crime drama "Eastern Promises" and Tommy Lee Jones in the little-seen Gulf War drama "In the Valley of Elah."

The Best Actress contest features a number of veteran faces and a few newer ones, including Cate Blanchett for "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," Julie Christie for "Away from Her," Marion Cotillard for "La Vie en Rose," Laura Linney for "The Savages" and newcomer Page for her work as a snarky pregnant teen in "Juno."

The Best Director category will pit Paul Thomas Anderson ("There Will Be Blood") against Ethan and Joel Coen ("No Country for Old Men"), Tony Gilroy for "Michael Clayton," surprise nominee Jason Reitman for "Juno" and artist-turned-director Julian Schnabel ("The Diving Bell and the Butterfly") for his inspiring take on the story of a Frenchman who suffers a massive stroke and learns to communicate by blinking his left eyelid.

In the Best Supporting Actor category, Hal Holbrook was nominated for his career-best turn as a concerned grandfather figure in "Into the Wild," one of the only nominations for the Sean Penn-directed movie about a young man's deadly decision to seek solitude in the Alaskan wilderness. Casey Affleck got a nod for his double-dealing wannabe cowboy in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," Javier Bardem is the front-runner for his work as a menacing psychopath in "No Country for Old Men," Philip Seymour Hoffman was honored for his turn as CIA operative Gust Avrakotos in "Charlie Wilson's War" and veteran actor Tom Wilkinson for his role as a mentally unhinged lawyer in "Michael Clayton."

The Best Supporting Actress category will be a race between Cate Blanchett for her role as Bob Dylan in "I'm Not There," veteran actress Ruby Dee for her role as the mother of a drug kingpin in "American Gangster," Saoirse Ronan for her work as a 13-year-old writer in "Atonement," Amy Ryan as the distraught mother of a kidnapped child in "Gone Baby Gone" and Tilda Swinton as a lawyer in "Michael Clayton."

Six years after storming the stage to deliver a controversial acceptance speech, Michael Moore will be back as a nominee in the Best Documentary category for "Sicko," his rabble-rousing take on the state of national heath care. He will compete in the category against the Iraq war doc "No End in Sight," as well as "War/Dance," "Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience," and "Taxi to the Dark Side," a documentary that garnered press when its poster was censored by the MPAA.

In addition to "Juno," the Best Original Screenplay category included nods for "Lars and the Real Girl," "Michael Clayton," "Ratatouille" and "The Savages." The Best Adapted Screenplay race is between "Atonement," "Away From Her," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood."

"Ratatouille," which comes in just behind "Michael Clayton" and "Atonement" with five overall nominations, leads the race for Best Animated Feature. It will compete against the critically acclaimed "Persepolis" and, in a surprise announcement, the animated mockumentary "Surf's Up."

Though it wasn't up for any major awards, "Transformers" managed a few props, including nominations for Sound Mixing, Sound Editing and Visual Effects. Another critically slammed box-office giant, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," also managed a few nominations, including Best Makeup and Visual Effects.

The Oscars show is slated to take place on February 24 at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood, and producers have said the show will go on, despite the ongoing writers' strike. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' request from the Writers Guild of America to grant a waiver to allow the use of writers for the three-and-a-half-hour show and to be able to show clips from previous Oscar telecasts has so far been rejected. The awards show faces the possibility of several major Hollywood stars boycotting the ceremony in order to avoid crossing picket lines.

Conspicuously absent from the list of nominees for Best Original Song, which include "Raise It Up" from "August Rush," "Falling Slowly" from "Once" and three songs from "Enchanted," is Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder, whose song "Guaranteed" from "Into the Wild" won the category's Golden Globe. Vedder was deemed ineligible for the Best Original Score category due to the movie's use of previously developed music, as was Radiohead guitarist Johnny Greenwood's score for "There Will Be Blood," which also featured music by Johannes Brahms.

Complete list of Academy Award nominees:

Best Picture
· "Atonement"
· "Juno"
· "Michael Clayton"
· "No Country for Old Men"
· "There Will Be Blood"

Best Director
· Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
· Jason Reitman, "Juno"
· Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"
· Joel and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
· Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"

Best Leading Actor
· George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"
· Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"
· Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"
· Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"
· Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises"

Best Leading Actress
· Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
· Julie Christie, "Away from Her"
· Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"
· Laura Linney, "The Savages"
· Ellen Page, "Juno"

Best Adapted Screenplay
· Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"
· Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"
· Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
· Joel and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
· Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"

Best Original Screenplay
· Diablo Cody, "Juno"
· Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"
· Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"
· Brad Bird, Jim Capobianco and Jan Pinkava, "Ratatouille"
· Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages"

Best Supporting Actor
· Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
· Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"
· Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"
· Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"
· Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton"

Best Supporting Actress
· Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"
· Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"
· Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"
· Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"
· Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton"

Best Animated Feature
· "Persepolis"
· "Ratatouille"
· "Surf's Up"

Best Foreign Language Film
· "Beaufort"
· "The Counterfeiters"
· "Katyn"
· "Mongol"
· "12"

Achievement in Art Direction
· "American Gangster"
· "Atonement"
· "The Golden Compass"
· "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"
· "There Will Be Blood"

Achievement in Cinematography
· "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
· "Atonement"
· "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
· "There Will Be Blood"

Achievement in Costume Design
· "Across the Universe"
· "Atonement"
· "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
· "La Vie en Rose"
· "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"

Best Documentary Feature
· "No End in Sight"
· "Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience"
· "Sicko"
· "Taxi to the Dark Side"
· "War/Dance"

Best Documentary Short Subject
· "Freeheld"
· "La Corona (The Crown)"
· "Salim Baba"
· "Sari's Mother"

Achievement in Film Editing
· "The Bourne Ultimatum"
· "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
· "Into the Wild"
· "There Will Be Blood"

Achievement in Makeup
· "La Vie en Rose"
· "Norbit"
· "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"

Achievement in Music (Original Score)
· "Atonement"
· "The Kite Runner"
· "Michael Clayton"
· "Ratatouille"
· "3:10 to Yuma"

Achievement in Music (Original Song)
· "Falling Slowly" from "Once"
· "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted"
· "Raise It Up" from "August Rush"
· "So Close" from "Enchanted"
· "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted"

Best Animated Short Film
· "I Met the Walrus"
· "Madame Tutli-Putli"
· "Even Pigeons Go to Heaven"
· "My Love"
· "Peter & the Wolf"

Best Live Action Short Film
· "At Night"
· "The Substitute"
· "The Mozart of Pickpockets"
· "Tanghi Argentini"
· "The Tonto Woman"

Achievement in Sound Editing
· "The Bourne Ultimatum"
· "Ratatouille"
· "There Will Be Blood"
· "Transformers"

Achievement in Sound Mixing
· "The Bourne Ultimatum"
· "Ratatouille"
· "3:10 to Yuma"
· "Transformers"

Achievement in Visual Effects
· "The Golden Compass"
· "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"
· "Transformers"

KC//CRIMSON
1/22/2008, 02:25 PM
TTT - Because this board is running like a well oiled machine.:rolleyes:

yermom
1/22/2008, 03:18 PM
on that note, i really need to see There Will Be Blood

sooner_born_1960
1/22/2008, 03:22 PM
I never even heard of "There Will Be Blood" until this morning.

yermom
1/22/2008, 03:26 PM
i really like Paul Thomas Anderson's other movies

Harry Beanbag
1/22/2008, 05:05 PM
on that note, i really need to see There Will Be Blood

I saw the trailer when I saw No Country for Old Men and it looked mesmerizing. I'm having a hard time finding a theater that is actually showing it though. :mad:

yermom
1/22/2008, 05:33 PM
again, i'd have to go to Quail Springs to see it

bastards

sooner_born_1960
1/22/2008, 05:34 PM
Now that it's nominated, it'll be back to all the theaters pretty soon.

Harry Beanbag
1/22/2008, 05:40 PM
Now that it's nominated, it'll be back to all the theaters pretty soon.

If you're talking about Blood, it still hasn't been released on a large scale yet. Out here it's on at one theater in Phoenix about 45 miles from my house. At least that's the way it has been the last couple of weeks, I haven't checked this week yet.

XingTheRubicon
1/22/2008, 06:24 PM
Saw TWWBlood in Dallas a few weeks back (one theater). Great, great, great. I'm not sure, because I'm not an expert on this type of stuff by any means, but I think Daniel Day Lewis may have turned in one of the best acting performances, well maybe ever. I don't know how to describe it, other than I can't think of one better.

No Country, and TWWB are both exceptional. I usually am thoroughly disapointed with going to a theatre (about 3 or 4 times a year) but these 2 are already 2 of my favorites.

tbl
1/27/2008, 12:07 AM
I'm seriously contemplating going to the theatre for that one as well.
Paul Thomas Anderson: In
Daniel Day Lewis: In