PDA

View Full Version : Jetta information request

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2007, 04:09 PM
Seeing as I will be commuting a couple of days a week to Durant(bout 80 miles from the Mac) I ve come to the conclusion that the old Ford Expedition isnt the most economical way to make the journey. I ve narrowed my list down to these 5. If you own one of these or have let me know your experience..

1. VW Jetta diesel.. 06
2. Acura TL (05-06 models)
3. Mercedes ML320 (03-04)
4. Hyundai Sonata 06
5. Nissan Maxima 04-05

Frozen Sooner
5/20/2007, 04:13 PM
I think the ML320 has a lot of mechanical problems, from anecdotal evidence. Everyone I know who has one has had a lot of issues, particularly with the brakes.

That seems like an odd list, though. You've got a bunch of sedans and one SUV?

Acura TLs seem pretty reliable.

sanantoniosooner
5/20/2007, 04:16 PM
I'd take the acura off that list.

VW reliability isn't what you'd expect.

Howzit
5/20/2007, 04:17 PM
I have an '04 TL and absolutely love it. Best car I've ever had.

Word of warning, though. The '04s came standard with high performace tires that do not last. I had to replace mine at 15k miles, and I've read reviews from irate owners tht didn't even get 10k. I think there were a LOT of complaints about this, and they may have changed tires or even gone to giving an option of another standard tire. Just a heads up...

I had a Maxima before I owned the TL, but it was a '97. It was a good car, no complaints, but I personally would by another TL over a Maxima. In fact, I did.

I looked at VWs too, and would put it below either of the others.

Howzit
5/20/2007, 04:18 PM
I'd take the acura off that list.

VW reliability isn't what you'd expect.
More evidence to go with the TL.

usmc-sooner
5/20/2007, 04:18 PM
Go get a Toyota that gets about 40 mpg and just use it as your travel car. It would be cheaper than some of the cars on your list.

Okla-homey
5/20/2007, 04:19 PM
We bought our daughter a new Jetta in 2001. So far, no probs, and she drives the crap out of it. Gas, not diesel though.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2007, 04:26 PM
The reason I threw the SUV in was I still need something to throw the kids in and go ..It is a very odd list but they are all on the list for different reasons..

Jetta diesel gets crazy gas mileage, the SUV for room for the kiddies, the Acura for a nice look and gas mileage, the Sonata because its a inexpensive car with decent gas mileage and surprising pep in its step, and the maxima for mileage and its look

GottaHavePride
5/20/2007, 04:37 PM
Just for what it's worth, from my experience the Hyundais are decent, but they just don't feel as solidly built when you're driving them. PG's boyfriend has commented that at highway speeds his Hyundai feels like it's fairly light on the road, while PG's Cougar (by way of contrast) feels like it's stuck to the road up past 90 mph.

LoyalFan
5/20/2007, 04:50 PM
Jettas are made in Meh-hee-ko...nuff said.

Acura or the Nissan!

LF

KC//CRIMSON
5/20/2007, 04:55 PM
I've seen one of these up close and it was really cool. Great looking car and gas mileage.

http://www.toyota.com/Yaris/

Check out the 3D tour of the Yaris "S" sedan.:cool:

soonerboomer93
5/20/2007, 06:28 PM
Just for what it's worth, from my experience the Hyundais are decent, but they just don't feel as solidly built when you're driving them. PG's boyfriend has commented that at highway speeds his Hyundai feels like it's fairly light on the road, while PG's Cougar (by way of contrast) feels like it's stuck to the road up past 90 mph.

yeah, the Hyundais suspension isn't as good as a honda/toyota vehicle. But the new sonata's are supposedly improved. The US version is only sold in the US and is wider compared to what they sell elsewhere. I drive a Hyundai here and it's really not a bad car

royalfan5
5/20/2007, 06:37 PM
I've always wondered if a sorority bid is standard equipment on a Jetta.

Cam
5/21/2007, 08:44 PM
Get the diesel Jetta. Your pocket book will thank you while gas prices continue to rise.

soonerinabilene
5/21/2007, 08:53 PM
I had a sonata gt. It had a surprising amount of power and it got around 35 mpg.
only problem with it was that the ride was a little hard, not a lot of comfort.

opksooner
5/21/2007, 09:30 PM
Our 2006 Jetta (gas) made in May Hee Ko has been a joy and absolutely trouble free. 31.5 MPG on long trips.

"Nuff said."?

Yep.......nuff said.

The diesels they are selling now are technically 2006s due to changing emissions regulations, ULSD, etc. They will soon be bringing in a 50 state compliant diesel w/all new tech stuff. Check with diesel forum at vwvortex.com

YWIA ;)

mdklatt
5/21/2007, 09:33 PM
The reason I threw the SUV in was I still need something to throw the kids in and go

A minivan would probably get better mileage and have more room.... ;)

sanantoniosooner
5/21/2007, 09:41 PM
Our 2006 Jetta (gas) made in May Hee Ko has been a joy and absolutely trouble free. 31.5 MPG on long trips.
wow, it's a 18 months old and still trouble free?;)

mdklatt
5/21/2007, 09:42 PM

From what I hear, that's a pretty good track record for a European car.

GottaHavePride
5/21/2007, 10:09 PM
Mexican. Get it right. ;)

slickdawg
5/21/2007, 10:16 PM
MY FIL gets 50 consistantly in his 06 Jetta TDI. He LOVES it.

Rogue
5/22/2007, 06:32 AM
The 'Car Talk' guys say that only pricks drive Jettas.

Harry Beanbag
5/22/2007, 06:46 AM
I will never own a Hyundai.

LoyalFan
5/23/2007, 12:46 AM
Get the diesel Jetta. Your pocket book will thank you while gas prices continue to rise.

Also, your local repair shop will name you Sucker of The Year.

LF

SoonerInKCMO
5/23/2007, 10:07 AM
A 5-speed Corolla or Civic would be better, financially, than the Jetta. Lower initial cost and more likely to stay out of the shop while still getting 40+ on the highway.

slickdawg
5/23/2007, 12:43 PM
Just don't get a Killed In Action (KIA)

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/23/2007, 12:53 PM
We had a VW Passat several years back, and I really liked it, but the maintenance costs were pretty high, I thought. Dont know what the others on your list would be, but our VW was not cheap to maintain.

My parents had a Hyundai, and I agree with beanbag, I would never own one. They didnt own it for long.

Maxima would be my pick from your list.

slickdawg
5/23/2007, 12:57 PM
We have two Passats now, and they RAWK! Great handling, performance, etc. The maintenance is a little more, but they use synthetic oil, so you only chage it every 5K instead of every 3K.

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/23/2007, 01:04 PM
I bought the GXR with the V6, leather, sunroof... it was quick....my friend gave me crap about the Passat when I bought it, so the first time he rode in it, I snapped his head back against the head rest getting on the turnpike, got it up to about 110...after that he was all about the VW.

Harry Beanbag
5/23/2007, 04:05 PM
My parents had a Hyundai, and I agree with beanbag, I would never own one. They didnt own it for long.

Yep. Two years ago I was getting rid of my Durango to be more fuel efficient. It came down to an Accord and a Camry, but I had heard good things about Hyundai's fancy new Sonata so I went to test drive one. It felt way cheap, like I was riding in a go-cart two inches off the ground. Then getting on the freeway I almost go my *** run over when I punched the accelerator to the floor and nothing happened for like 2 seconds. I bought an Accord.

Petro-Sooner
5/23/2007, 04:09 PM
Yep. Two years ago I was getting rid of my Durango to be more fuel efficient. It came down to an Accord and a Camry, but I had heard good things about Hyundai's fancy new Sonata so I went to test drive one. It felt way cheap, like I was riding in a go-cart two inches off the ground. Then getting on the freeway I almost go my *** run over when I punched the accelerator to the floor and nothing happened for like 2 seconds. I bought an Accord.

Sounds like my geo prism I had. Felt like a toy and would not move at all when punching the gas.

Beef
5/23/2007, 04:13 PM
I had a '91 Jetta that had a sunroof leak. It got a little moldy and my friends called it Farfegnasty.

Harry Beanbag
5/23/2007, 04:14 PM
Sounds like my geo prism I had. Felt like a toy and would not move at all when punching the gas.

I'm glad I never drove any of the previous models before they supposedly improved them and made them into a real car.

TopDaugIn2000
5/23/2007, 04:18 PM
I average 33-34 mpg in my 4-cyl camry, got 38 on my last trip to eastern OK. Wouldn't trade it for ANY of those on your list.

Cam
5/26/2007, 02:21 AM
My Passat's 5 years old and still trouble free.

royalfan5
5/26/2007, 09:50 AM
i think I am going to go over to my local VW dealer in look into one today as well.