PDA

View Full Version : The Yiddish Policemen's Union

Frozen Sooner
5/20/2007, 03:49 PM
Has anyone read this besides me? Written by Michael Chabon. I've referenced it in another thread, but figured I could help get the word out.

Quite interesting book that presupposes Secretary Ickes' plan to resettle European Jews in Alaska was successful and that Sitka is now a city of 3.2 million. Against a backdrop of reversion of Sitka to State control, a John Doe murder investigation takes several odd twists.

Anyhow, highly recommended. Great book.

Frozen Sooner
5/20/2007, 04:24 PM
DON'T MAKE ME STICKY THIS DAMN YOU!!!!

sanantoniosooner
5/20/2007, 04:28 PM
If you do sticky it we'd rather not hear about it.

Jeopardude
5/20/2007, 04:56 PM
Sounds interesting and would be a good companion book to The Plot Against America by Philip Roth. The book's about Charles Lindbergh becoming president in 1932 over Roosevelt and the supposedly innocuous plan to assimilate Jews into WASP society (the "Just Folks" program) and the way the US avoids WWII.

It's a frightening alternate history where people are persecuted for being different. Of course, no one now would get death threats for stating their opinion. :rolleyes:

royalfan5
5/20/2007, 05:41 PM
I fondled it at the book store today, but decided I need to chew into my backlog a little more before I buy more books. I plan to read it at some point in the medium term.