PDA

View Full Version : I had to spend my tithe money for gas

MamaMia
5/20/2007, 01:14 PM
The price of gas is so high now. On my way to mass yesterday, I noticed my almost empty gas tank light was on, so I turned around to get gas at the Shell. I had a couple of spare 20's in my pocket for gas along with my tithe money. I've never had to pay more than $32.00 or so to fill up my little XTerra. I put the gas spigot in the tank opening and walked into the Shell while the gas was going. When it stopped, the girl said "That will be $52.67 Mrs. A." I had to borrow some of my tithe money that was meant for the poor box. :(

I was thinking that the price of gas was going to have to do down, not up. What in the name of all that is holy is going on?

GottaHavePride
5/20/2007, 01:17 PM
I don't know, but I think I'm about to try to get a new car. I can't keep driving a Caddy V8 that runs premium and only gets 17 mpg in town. Not at nearly $3.50 a gallon for premium.

Frozen Sooner
5/20/2007, 01:19 PM
That V8 shouldn't need premium, man. What's the compression ratio on that thing?

GottaHavePride
5/20/2007, 01:28 PM
That V8 shouldn't need premium, man. What's the compression ratio on that thing?
Can't remember off the top of my head - I think it's 10.5:1 - but I know that even when I put mid-grade in it sounds less happy.

Frozen Sooner
5/20/2007, 01:31 PM
Well, OK, at 10.5:1 yeah you need premium. Crazy.

jk the sooner fan
5/20/2007, 01:32 PM
wait till iran gets their hands on iraq......gas prices will be double what we're paying now

MamaMia
5/20/2007, 01:35 PM
I don't know, but I think I'm about to try to get a new car. I can't keep driving a Caddy V8 that runs premium and only gets 17 mpg in town. Not at nearly $3.50 a gallon for premium.I may have to trade my car in too. One tank use to get me to the city and back, but now I get about 30% less gas mileage, even though it still runs like a charm. Its a few years old and has 106,000 miles on it though. Jeepers, just when I get a little bit ahead in saving up some money for that extra bathroom I long for, something happens.

GottaHavePride
5/20/2007, 01:40 PM
I may have to trade my car in too. One tank use to get me to the city and back, but now I get about 30% less gas mileage, even though it still runs like a charm. Its a few years old and has 106,000 miles on it though. Jeepers, just when I get a little bit ahead in saving up some money for that extra bathroom I long for, something happens.

30% less? In the same car? when was the last time you had the fuel injection system cleaned? 'Cause that big a drop really shouldn't happen. My car actually does slightly better than the factory mileage rating, and it has 140,000 miles on it.

SoonerGirl06
5/20/2007, 01:42 PM
I spent $2.89/gallon the other day and I thought I had hit the jackpot!

GottaHavePride
5/20/2007, 01:43 PM
When I was in DFW last weekend we noticed gas in Dallas was running 40 cents cheaper per gallon than it was in OKC.

SoonerGirl06
5/20/2007, 01:45 PM
Gas prices fluctuate down here depending on where you are. The prices are higher in Dallas than they are in the 'burbs. Thank God I live in the 'burbs!

Frozen Sooner
5/20/2007, 01:46 PM
30% less? In the same car? when was the last time you had the fuel injection system cleaned? 'Cause that big a drop really shouldn't happen. My car actually does slightly better than the factory mileage rating, and it has 140,000 miles on it.

I'm guessing it's her blinker fluid.

GottaHavePride
5/20/2007, 01:47 PM
Heh. Last Tuesday most places we drove past in Fort Worth, Plano, Keller, etc. were at about $2.80 for regular - when we got back to Norman on the same day we were seeing $3.20 for regular.

GottaHavePride
5/20/2007, 01:47 PM
I'm guessing it's her blinker fluid.

It could be low on elbow grease, too.

SoonerGirl06
5/20/2007, 01:54 PM
Heh. Last Tuesday most places we drove past in Fort Worth, Plano, Keller, etc. were at about $2.80 for regular - when we got back to Norman on the same day we were seeing $3.20 for regular.

Yikes! I guess I won't complain about the $2.99 then.

jk the sooner fan
5/20/2007, 01:57 PM
gas is cheaper just outside of dallas proper as they dont have to stop and add the clean air additive to it........i just went and filled up mrs jk's car, and they were completely out of the cheap stuff (2.99), so i had to fill it with 89 octane at 3.14

MamaMia
5/20/2007, 01:59 PM
It could be low on elbow grease, too.I'll have you know my car is immaculately spic and span, however where does one go to have their fuel injection system cleaned? :)

GottaHavePride
5/20/2007, 02:07 PM
Generally anyplace that does oil changes should be able to. They places I've been to charge like $90 for it, which is why I usually just put a bottle of STP engine treatment in the gas tank every other oil change or so.

olevetonahill
5/20/2007, 02:09 PM
Peem sent Mom
Just add a dose Of injector cleaner in your next tank , or even now.
when was the last time you changed your spark plugs and fuel filter ?

MamaMia
5/20/2007, 02:16 PM
Peem sent Mom
Just add a dose Of injector cleaner in your next tank , or even now.
when was the last time you changed your spark plugs and fuel filter ?Nissan does all that for me, once in the summer and then when the Sooners have a by week. Its almost time for another check up too.

Oh, do you put the cleaner in the same hole as you put the gas spigot, and what brand should I get?

VeeJay
5/20/2007, 02:18 PM
The price of gas is so high now. On my way to mass yesterday, I noticed my almost empty gas tank light was on, so I turned around to get gas at the Shell. I had a couple of spare 20's in my pocket for gas along with my tithe money. I've never had to pay more than $32.00 or so to fill up my little XTerra. I put the gas spigot in the tank opening and walked into the Shell while the gas was going. When it stopped, the girl said "That will be $52.67 Mrs. A." I had to borrow some of my tithe money that was meant for the poor box. :(

I was thinking that the price of gas was going to have to do down, not up. What in the name of all that is holy is going on?

I'm with you Mom. Us Baptists are suffering, too.

I am carpooling to try to save money, and this board knows how that is working out.

GottaHavePride
5/20/2007, 02:19 PM
For the cleaner stuff it's easiest to wait until you go to fill up the tank, put the cleaner in first, and then fill the tank the rest of the way like normal. then you drive on that tank of gas until you're nearly empty (you don't want to dilute the cleaner by filling up when you still have half a tank left).

I'll let olevet chime in with what brand he thinks works best. And that reminds me I can't remember last time I changed my sparkplugs. Maybe I'll do that...

olevetonahill
5/20/2007, 02:20 PM
Nissan does all that for me, once in the summer and then when the Sooners have a by week. Its almost time for another check up too.

Oh, do you put the cleaner in the same hole as you put the gas spigot, and what brand should I get?
Yup dump it in then add gas .
Oriellys sells a Good product called Seafoam
about 6.50 a can

olevetonahill
5/20/2007, 02:22 PM
For the cleaner stuff it's easiest to wait until you go to fill up the tank, put the cleaner in first, and then fill the tank the rest of the way like normal. then you drive on that tank of gas until you're nearly empty (you don't want to dilute the cleaner by filling up when you still have half a tank left).

I'll let olevet chime in with what brand he thinks works best. And that reminds me I can't remember last time I changed my sparkplugs. Maybe I'll do that...
GHP when you change plugs you might want to ask em for a Hotter firing one , you should be able to use the cheaper gas then .

Mongo
5/20/2007, 02:23 PM
filled up with $2.62/gallon for $59.34:D

GottaHavePride
5/20/2007, 02:28 PM
I'll do that. I might just go buy the plugs myself and take them someplace to have them put in.

Harry Beanbag
5/20/2007, 03:33 PM
Since I got my company Chevron card last year, I don't even look at the price, just fill 'er up. :)

Frozen Sooner
5/20/2007, 03:36 PM
GHP when you change plugs you might want to ask em for a Hotter firing one , you should be able to use the cheaper gas then .

Hmmmmm. It's my understanding that it's not the plug that's the issue with high-compression engines, it's that the gas ignites without the plug-hence usage of higher octane. Where am I going wrong here?

GottaHavePride
5/20/2007, 04:18 PM
I thought it was that higher octane gas burns more completely than lower-octane stuff, so it not only has a little more pop to run a higher-compression engine, but produces slightly less emissions by-products. So having a hotter plug might help the lower-octane stuff burn more completely. I could just be totally making that up, though.

Frozen Sooner
5/20/2007, 04:22 PM
I thought it was that higher octane gas burns more completely than lower-octane stuff, so it not only has a little more pop to run a higher-compression engine, but produces slightly less emissions by-products. So having a hotter plug might help the lower-octane stuff burn more completely. I could just be totally making that up, though.

Nope. All octane refers to is resistance to combustion from pressure. It doesn't have more "pop" nor does it burn more completely.

When your engine compression ratio gets above about 9.6, lower-octane gas combusts while the piston is still moving towards the plug. The resulting explosion knocks the piston back when it's trying to move forward. This is what's known in technical circles as an undesirable result. :D That's what causes "knock" and messes your engine up. Higher octane gas isn't more pure nor does it give you better mileage (unless your engine is supposed to be using higher octane, of course). It just resists pressure better.

oumartin
5/20/2007, 05:02 PM
ya know its funny. a year ago had you bought gas at the shell on the way to mass you would be a Catholic payin' a RLDS member money!

I guess I figured you for a freewill Babtist! :D