PDA

View Full Version : So I'm buying a new laptop...

ArkanSooner
5/19/2007, 03:27 PM
And I'm trying to decide between a Mac and a regular PC. I'm a college student who only uses the computer for internet, word processing, some audio/video (Youtube, MP3s, etc.) but nothing major. I don't do computer games, make music, anything like that. I've used Dell PC's for the past ten years or so, so I'm really comfortable with Windows-based programs. I've used Macs from friends and at the library and I've been impressed with the limited use I've seen, but like I said I've never owned anything but a Dell. I've had the one I'm on now since I started college three years ago and have never had any problems with it, but I'm needing to buy a laptop now for convenience. I'm transferring to OU in the fall to finish up my undergrad then it's off to medical school in a year or two, so I just need something to help me get through the next five to six years.

I'm leaning towards the Mac but I just had a couple of questions. Will I still be able to use all of the things I use on a fairly daily basis (Adobe Acrobat, Word, Powerpoint, etc.) without much of an adjustment period? I know they have MacOffice and all that but I'm just wanting to make sure. And this is probably a stupid question, but could I transfer files from the Dell to the Mac via a Flash Drive or something similar? Does it make any difference as to whether I get a Macbook or an iBook?

Thanks for your help in advance.

sanantoniosooner
5/19/2007, 03:35 PM
Do you wear crocs and drive a Beetle?

This is critical information.

GottaHavePride
5/19/2007, 03:42 PM
OU has a pretty good agreement with Apple right now, so if you go through the Apple Store (either online or in person) and tell them you're an OU student you'll get I think a 10% discount. That's good on iPods, too. ;) If you want a link to that online send me a PM - it's a little tricky to find on their wepsite, but you don't really need to show any sort of proof that you're an OU student when ordering online.

But anyway - it shouldn't really matter if you get a PC or a Mac. I'm definitely a PC guy for my home use, but if I was going to get a laptop around here I'd probably get a Mac. As far as laptops go, they're easy and quick to use, whereas with my home computer I like to be able to fine-tune the horsepower a little bit more (and I play a few games every now and then) so I stick with PCs for that.

Plus, Macs have some very nice integrated features, like voice and video recording capabilities that make note-taking in class very simple. I know a TON of grad students that have the voice recording going in the background while they type notes to make sure they don't miss anything and can double-check themselves later. Also some models have the built-in cameras that let them record their presentations for better critiquing later.

OzarkSooner
5/19/2007, 03:51 PM
GET A MAC! I have both...a PC laptop and a Mac laptop and I can tell you that you will be able to do all the file swapping/carryover you need to do. The Mac will open almost any type of word processing file, etc. that you need to use.

My PC laptop is actually newer than my Mac laptop. I use the PC laptop for my job and it's a good laptop, but, there is an "ease" associated with using my Mac that I simply can't get from the PC

I've got a buddy that won't touch a mac. I asked him one time why he hated them so and his reply??? He says, "Because they're too easy to use...anyone can use them." Go figure?!

Anywho, you asked for opinions, and that's mine as little as it's worth.

:D

GottaHavePride
5/19/2007, 04:10 PM
I've got a buddy that won't touch a mac. I asked him one time why he hated them so and his reply??? He says, "Because they're too easy to use...anyone can use them." Go figure?!

Actually, I kind of feel that way with the desktops. I hate how macs bury the settings and such so far down that it's a pain to try to tweak the computer. PC's are much easier to tinker with, and mine hums along without so much as a burp. With laptops, though, I'd be looking at portability and speed of operation, and that says Mac. Especially at OU right now - pretty much every department I can think of is primarily using Macs except for maybe the CS guys.

nmsoonergirl
5/19/2007, 04:48 PM
I've had a mac Ibook for almost a year now, and I've hated it passionately most days. It is the computer they gave me a work, so I'm kind of stuck with it, but I find it completely NOT intuitive and very difficult to troubleshoot. Admittedly, I'm a computer idiot, so maybe Macs are better for smarter folks.

Mac does do wireless well, and I have Word, PowerPoint and Excel and they all work fine.

You'll probably be happy with the mac, since everyone but me loves them, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

mdklatt
5/19/2007, 10:08 PM
I've used Dell PC's for the past ten years or so, so I'm really comfortable with Windows-based programs. I've used Macs from friends and at the library and I've been impressed with the limited use I've seen, but like I said I've never owned anything but a Dell.

Steve Jobs and the Mac fanboys would strongly disagree with me on this, but I don't think MacOS is any more intuitive than Windows for the typical user--especially if you're already used to Windows. Did you have any difficulty figuring out MacOS when you used it? The learning curve of switching swides is going to be a dealbreaker for some people.

What will you be using the laptop for in medical school? I'm guessing you won't be doing a lot of programming and/or serious data crunching. If you were, the Unixness of MacOS is a very good thing. (If you have no idea what Unix is, it's probably not a factor either way.) In my experience, a lot of niche software in science and engineering is Windows-only. You need to figure out if there's any specialized medical software that you'll need, and if it's available for MacOS.

yermom
5/19/2007, 10:37 PM
now that you can run Windows, you have a choice of anything that runs on Intel

i'd say that MacOS isn't really easier, but i think it works better.

i like how it just works, the wireless works, the video stuff just works, etc...

i think the Apple laptops are just built better than dells, i have preferred my Apple laptops over my PC ones head to head for 6 or 7 years now

Frozen Sooner
5/19/2007, 10:54 PM
Plus Michael Dell is a UT alumnus.

F that guy in the A.

mdklatt
5/19/2007, 10:58 PM
Plus Michael Dell is a UT alumnus.

Didn't he drop out of UT to start his company?

Not that he's not still a dirty, filthy whorn....says the guy using a Dell right now. :O

mdklatt
5/19/2007, 10:59 PM
now that you can run Windows, you have a choice of anything that runs on Intel

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

King Crimson
5/19/2007, 11:00 PM
macs are built better than dell/pc, but they also cost a lot more.

jus' sayin. i use both, so i have no dog in the fight.

Frozen Sooner
5/19/2007, 11:02 PM
Didn't he drop out of UT to start his company?

Not that he's not still a dirty, filthy whorn....says the guy using a Dell right now. :O

I don't think you have to actually graduate to be considered an alumnus.

But I'm writing this on an exploding-battery VAIO built by furriners.

BajaOklahoma
5/19/2007, 11:58 PM
Lil Baja has to have a laptop this Fall - a new requirement for the PT program. Though they will accept one running XP, but they are suggesting Vista as the operating system.

SicEmBaylor
5/20/2007, 12:20 AM
The CEO of HP is a Baylor grad.

Boffingham
5/20/2007, 05:08 AM
If you get a Mac, your family may call you a hippy democrat, but I don't care, I got one anyway.