PDA

View Full Version : Any soccer fans in here?

Pages : 1 [2]

Scott D
7/8/2007, 06:48 PM
Clarence Seedorf would make a great manager shoudl he choose that path after retirement.

birddog
7/9/2007, 12:25 AM
Well aware of that. Kind of proves my point that 2010 was nothing more than smoke being blown.

well, anybody who thought otherwise doesn't have a clue. they could have said 2090 and i wouldn't believe it. but we're getting closer to competing as we build depth. i think had we brought some of the gold cup guys and a handful of noobs to the copa, we wouldn't have been embarrassed as badly.

birddog
7/9/2007, 12:27 AM
So who was the wise guy that voted this thread a 1? Cute, buddy. Real cute.
some jackhole that thinks we should hate soccer because they do.:rolleyes:

Scott D
7/9/2007, 06:26 AM
well, anybody who thought otherwise doesn't have a clue. they could have said 2090 and i wouldn't believe it. but we're getting closer to competing as we build depth. i think had we brought some of the gold cup guys and a handful of noobs to the copa, we wouldn't have been embarrassed as badly.

two varying points....first, the powers that be weren't happy about the squad we brought to the Copa America, and what works against us is the fact that Mexico brought essentially the same squad they used in the Gold Cup.

Secondly...
It turns out that Seedorf isn't here because he's eyeing a Beckham-like swan song Stateside in the not-too-distant future. In fact, he all but ruled out ever joining Major League Soccer when he inked a new four-year pact in January that will keep him at the San Siro until he's 35. No, Seedorf says he is simply here to get a firsthand look at American soccer. In fact, the U.S. is merely the final stop on a whirlwind two-week listening tour that includes visits to eight cities on four continents.

"I have some friends here playing in the States," Seedorf says. "But everyone creates his own opinion through personal experience. That's why I wanted to come here personally and see the environment and taste it a little bit, not just listen to the opinions of others.

"I think it's just a matter of time until the U.S. can compete on the highest levels. But something needs to change because we have been saying this for 10 years. There has been improvement but not the improvement I think they wanted and should have had. But I am not here to judge, I'm here to listen."

birddog
7/9/2007, 08:08 AM
and they should be upset. the copa was not a time for guys to be "thrown into the fire." gomez never did anything to deserve a cap, gavin shouldn't even be in a crew uniform, and heath pearce couldn't start for the u-20's.

hopefully bradley is not delusional. bringing this group to the copa took alot of nerve and i think it was more mismanagement of the player selections than ego. i can't imagine he thought it was a good idea to experiment with a whole new group of players all at once when every other team was selling out to win the tournament.

bradley knew all the players would not be available for both tourneys, right?
wouldn't any sane person understand that you have to find a way to balance the squad to compete in both tourneys. he was quoted as saying the european clubs wouldn't let their guys play in both. so shouldn't it have been easy to tell dempsey and beasley to get ready for venezuela because they're sitting out the gold cup (for example)?

maybe bob got some advice from steve "3-6-1" sampson.

birddog
7/9/2007, 08:23 AM
http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_1409034.html

it will be uruguay afterall. wednesday.

sanantoniosooner
7/9/2007, 08:28 AM
some jackhole that thinks we should hate soccer because they do.:rolleyes:
Wasn't me.

but comments like earlier in this thread, "Time to bunker down for the next 9 minutes" is why I struggle to enjoy the game.

*You should hate soccer because of that, not because anyone else does.;)

*please don't get your panties in a wad, it's just a joke.

Cam
7/9/2007, 09:31 PM
well, anybody who thought otherwise doesn't have a clue. they could have said 2090 and i wouldn't believe it.
I agree. The youth structure just isn't there. Is it improving? From what I see and hear from my buddies who coach, not much.

but we're getting closer to competing as we build depth.
Where's the depth? The depth of the MNT was in Venezuela and looked like a JV squad at best from what I saw. The U20's won't be ready for the full MNT for 3-4 years. If the majority of them stay in the MLS, rais that by 2 years at least.

i think had we brought some of the gold cup guys and a handful of noobs to the copa, we wouldn't have been embarrassed as badly.
After the last WC performance, I think they should have said screw the clubs and taken the full squad. This was a chance to win back some respect on the world stage and we blew it in a big way by taking a substantially inferior club.

birddog
7/9/2007, 11:06 PM
i agree we should have taken our full squad to the copa and let the noobs have a crack at the gold cup, except we needed to get that confederations cup bid out of the way and the gold cup was the only realistic chance we had.

not to say our depth is full of promising players yet, but i do see some adequate players that will be able to fill in when a starter goes down with an injury. the only way to do that is give guys a chance to prove they can play at that level. but the copa was the WRONG time to experiment.

birddog
7/9/2007, 11:11 PM
Wasn't me.

but comments like earlier in this thread, "Time to bunker down for the next 9 minutes" is why I struggle to enjoy the game.

*You should hate soccer because of that, not because anyone else does.;)

*please don't get your panties in a wad, it's just a joke.

hey, when you're beating brazil (considered the world power in soccer) with 9 minutes to go, you pack it in. you have to do what it takes to win.

snp
7/10/2007, 01:28 AM
A lot of the guys on the MNT needed a break after the Gold Cup.

Cam
7/11/2007, 08:12 PM
It's the 72nd min against Uruguay and it's 0-0.

So far the back four have looked less than stellar. Our first choice goalie is injured, and so far it's quite obvious why he's the first choice. The guy who's in for this game has looked very skitish the entire game.

Jose missed 3 chances to head us into the lead in the 1st half. Put each of them into the gut of the keeper. If he puts any of them to a corner, we're up by at least 1.

Cam
7/11/2007, 08:14 PM
73rd minute, 1-0 Uruguay.

Keeper made a save but couldn't hold on to the ball. Nobody marked the guy running toward the goal for the garbage.

Cam
7/11/2007, 08:27 PM
US scores in the 87th minute. Adu earns a corner, sends it in and Uruguay couldn't clear the ball.

Cam
7/11/2007, 08:34 PM
Uruguay hits the post in the 90th minute and keeps up the heat on the US D.

Game going to extra time, US has no more subs available.

It's getting to be a really chippy game. The US play a much more aggressive style than the South American teams and the SA teams don't like it one bit.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 08:46 PM
and on a bright note, it's a shame it took ESPNU this long to realize people wanted the time and score up at the top of the screen. Argentina up 1-0 on Mexico at the half on a goal by Gabriel Heinze on a nice free kick by Juan Roman Riquelme

Cam
7/11/2007, 08:49 PM
US keeper made his save of the game in the 97th minute and took a boot to the head on the rebound.

Go Argentina. :D

Scott D
7/11/2007, 08:50 PM
maybe it's just me, but the announcers this entire tournament have been hyping up Dax McCarty like he's our version of David Beckham.

Cam
7/11/2007, 08:54 PM
They have, haven't they. He's not bad, but he's not young Beckham by any means.

I've made a few saves with my face like that, and it sure does sting like a mofo.

Cam
7/11/2007, 08:57 PM
Still 1-1 after first OT period. US keeper's taking care of his 6 yard box much better the last 20 minutes. I think the last couple of saves gave him some confidence.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 08:58 PM
second half in the Copa American semi about to start....let's see if Argentina can pour it on in the second half like they've been doing, or if Mexico continues to control the pace. I gotta admit, I like the organizers really want to see Argentina v Brazil in the final...now if only the other Brazilian big names woulda played.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 08:59 PM
gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal Michael Bradley.... USA 2 Uruguay 1

Cam
7/11/2007, 09:00 PM
Bradley scores in the 107th minute. US is up 2-1 with 13 minutes left.

Rogers has impressed me quite a bit this tournament. He's going to be a solid player.

Cam
7/11/2007, 09:01 PM
Damn, took a boot to the gut. That's gotta sting a little.

Cam
7/11/2007, 09:02 PM
OMG, they're actually calling the wall for moving in early. Don't see that every game.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 09:03 PM
right now that 120 mark can't come soon enough.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 09:05 PM
Uruguay pressing a bit, and it's showing in the fouls being called.

Cam
7/11/2007, 09:07 PM
With all these yellow cards, are we going to have anybody left who's elligible? I'm just guessing that the card count starts over in the 2nd round.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 09:09 PM
I believe so, at least based on the World Cup.....Freddy showing a bit more of what he can do. Uruguay getting close right now to getting a card for dissent I think.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 09:12 PM
Zatela has to give that up..3 on 1 break with a defender closing in on him...a quick pass to his left and our guy has an open net to chip it into.

Cam
7/11/2007, 09:12 PM
I've been really impressed with Adu's vision this tournament. He's making some tremendous passes. If Zatela squares it to his left there, game over.

Cam
7/11/2007, 09:14 PM
Apparently, finishing is not a skill that our MNT programs practice.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 09:16 PM
Game over.. USA into the Quarterfinals.

Argentina still up 1-0 15 min into the second half.

Scott D
goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal Lionel Messi

Argentina 2 Mexico 0

Riquelme to Tevez to Messi

Cam
US wins 2-1 and are off to the qtr finals.

Then a fight breaks out. Bradley's ready to bust some *** on somebody.

Crazy stuff there at the end. Bradley's got to chill, he's got another game to play.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 09:18 PM
Mexico is losing it's composure....

Cam
7/11/2007, 09:18 PM
goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal Lionel Messi

Argentina 2 Mexico 0

Riquelme to Tevez to Messi
I'd be so heart broken if Mexico lost.

There's really no way I could keep a straight face and say that... :cool:

Cam
7/11/2007, 09:19 PM
Mexico is losing it's composure....
A Mexican team that's behind is losing their composure. Say it isn't so. :eek:

Cam
7/11/2007, 09:20 PM
Tevez earns a penalty.

Sometimes you've just got to say "Yeah, I fouled him" and get it over with.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 09:21 PM
Rafa Marquez takes down Tevez in the box...Riquelme scores the penalty... 3-0 Argentina.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 09:22 PM
FWIW, if Ray Hudson had a vote for FIFA World Player of the Year, it'd go to Riquelme and make him the first player playing IN South America to win that award.

Cam
7/11/2007, 09:24 PM
I hate those chip shot PK's.

Those are the only ones I save when I'm in goal though. I don't move on PK's. I fake like I'm gonna dive and hope the hit it down the middle. :D

Scott D
7/11/2007, 09:26 PM
if you hate those, you shoulda seen Messi's goal :D

illinisooner
7/11/2007, 09:26 PM
On matchtracker it said they had a brawl after the final whistle...what happened?

Scott D
7/11/2007, 09:28 PM
I'm sure Uruguay was a bit upset that they lost to us...they were already to a confrontation point with the refs that they were making contact. Things were very chippy the last 10 minutes of the second half of OT.

birddog
7/12/2007, 09:42 AM
cardaccio sucker punched bradley. bradley was trying to fight through the people to get to the guy but rongen and co. held him back. then bradley added salt to the wound by gesturing 2-1 to the uruguayan dude.

tough, tough game and it was nice to see them show so much heart after being shut down for 85 minutes. i watched austria play and they look like a bunch of lumbering polish defenders out there. we'll probably find a way to make it interesting, though.

snp
7/12/2007, 12:45 PM
cardaccio sucker punched bradley. bradley was trying to fight through the people to get to the guy but rongen and co. held him back. then bradley added salt to the wound by gesturing 2-1 to the uruguayan dude.

tough, tough game and it was nice to see them show so much heart after being shut down for 85 minutes. i watched austria play and they look like a bunch of lumbering polish defenders out there. we'll probably find a way to make it interesting, though.

That's awesome.

snp
7/12/2007, 01:45 PM
Highlights of the match here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slq3MVbiPU4)

Cam
7/12/2007, 09:14 PM
Bradley was ****ed man. I was trying to find comments on the post game affair but didn't see any. Would've been interesting to be a fly on the wall of the locker room after that.

Cam
7/12/2007, 09:16 PM
if you hate those, you shoulda seen Messi's goal :D
I saw it, it was pretty sweet. He almost bent in another one toward the end.

There was some serious hackin goin on by the Messicans in the last 30 minutes of that game. Marquez was doing it as well which kind of disappointed me. I usually like to watch him play, but he got wrapped up in the cheap shots as well.

Scott D
7/12/2007, 09:34 PM
Marquez's role this upcoming season I have a feeling is going to change. Puyol is out for the start of the year after knee surgery, but Barca has picked up Diego Milito to fill in. I have a feeling Marquez will end up more like Edmilson once Puyol gets healthy.

illinisooner
7/13/2007, 03:01 AM
Bradley is one of my favorite up and coming national team players. He reminds me of Genaro Gattuso of Italy, aka the snarling dog. He's probably a little too physical and emotional, but a tremendous player in terms of heart and determination. I don't see him being a regular with the MNT up to WC 2010, but he can be a very effective sub in the physical and chippy games. BTW we have a friendly scheduled in South Africa later in the year, which should feature basically all Euro players because it is in November. Good luck to the boys vs. Austria and let's get a win!

Scott D
7/14/2007, 06:31 PM
Today's game was a disappointment. It appeared that at halftime Austria made adjustments, and as the game went on in regulation our boys lost composure. Although to be fair, the Swedish ref was giving out cards like they were candy for the first 20 minutes of the second half, and that drastically changed things.

birddog
7/14/2007, 11:53 PM
just a poor performance. we never had a chance to get numbers forward and our back line looked really out of sorts. austria was pretty disciplined and didn't give us any time on the ball. it really just looked like we were tuckered out from the uruguay match.

good tournament for the us overall.

Scott D
7/15/2007, 04:10 PM
Brazil up 1-0 over Argentina in the first 5 minutes on a nice goal by Julio Baptista

Scott D
7/15/2007, 05:35 PM
Brazil goes up 2-0 before the half on an own goal by the Argentinian keeper. Dani Alvez scores 25 minutes into the second half to put Brazil up 3-0. They've made Riquelme look pedestrian, and because of that Argentina's attack has been virtually non existant for long stretches of the match.

Scott D
7/15/2007, 05:48 PM
game over, Brazil win 3-0. their defence dominated the match

birddog
7/15/2007, 06:56 PM
crazy that argentina could get shellacked like that.

birddog
7/15/2007, 11:05 PM
so argentina beat mexico 1-0. semifinals are chile v. argentina and czech republic v. austria.

Scott D
7/16/2007, 06:10 AM
to my understanding it's not exactly what Fifa hoped for.

also oleole.com is a good site for information, including a section where you can pick out players and teams and use their "news scout" to get the most recent news and rumors surrounding the teams.

illinisooner
7/16/2007, 07:59 PM
For those wanting more soccer this week, the MLS All Star game is the 19th and Chelsea/Galaxy is the 21st, both on ESPN...maybe the deuce, I'm not positive.

SoonerBOI
7/18/2007, 08:55 AM
Go Manchester United!

mikeGoSooners
7/18/2007, 08:56 PM
I'm a soccer fan. Not sure if Beckham still has it - guess we'll see.
You know a teacher from Oklahoma - a true blue sports fan, RICKY DERENNAUX is one of six Finalists on the ABC tv show AMERICAN INVENTOR competing. He invented remote control paper model planes, cars, trucks etc. - called HT RACERS. Sooners and sports fans unite and VOTE for RICKY and his HT RACERS on July 25th, WED. NIGHT on ABC's American Inventor. Check out his TV clip:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Njn77XqwMH8

birddog
7/21/2007, 02:21 PM
don't forget, tonight chelsea v. galaxy, real salt lake v. everton, and celtic v. chicago fire.

birddog
7/21/2007, 07:48 PM
looks like the galaxy have signed some guy named dave beckingham? not sure what that's about.

TUSooner
7/28/2007, 07:51 PM
Ahem...
AN EPL Fantasy League is in the works
PEEMs welcome

SoonerBOI
7/28/2007, 08:56 PM
I'm a soccer fan. Not sure if Beckham still has it - guess we'll see.
You know a teacher from Oklahoma - a true blue sports fan, RICKY DERENNAUX is one of six Finalists on the ABC tv show AMERICAN INVENTOR competing. He invented remote control paper model planes, cars, trucks etc. - called HT RACERS. Sooners and sports fans unite and VOTE for RICKY and his HT RACERS on July 25th, WED. NIGHT on ABC's American Inventor. Check out his TV clip:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Njn77XqwMH8

He made it to the top three, congrats!

TUSooner
7/29/2007, 09:24 AM
OK. The League is simply "Sooner Fans"
I'm PMing some of you who have expressed interest, but if you don't get a PM from me Sunday, PM me and I'll give you what you need to know to join the league.
rah rah rah

Scott D
8/18/2007, 10:16 AM
as a bump, our U-17 team begins group play in the U-17 world cup on monday. We are in what looks to be a relatively weak group.

GottaHavePride
8/18/2007, 12:00 PM
Sweet.

birddog
8/20/2007, 09:42 AM
great. our u-17s lost their opener to tajikistan.

Scott D
8/20/2007, 04:54 PM
great. our u-17s lost their opener to tajikistan.

hopefully the lesson they learned is to play 90 minutes, not 88 minutes.

birddog
8/20/2007, 05:55 PM
what, were the up a goal in the 88th minute?

i still think they'll get through their group. who is their coach?

Scott D
8/20/2007, 07:25 PM
John Hackworth is the coach, and they were up 3-2 before allowing 82nd and 86th minute goals to lose 4-3. Although to be fair, they were down 2-1 at the half. Looking at the stats, this team scares me because they seem to have faded at the end of both halves.

Scott D
8/22/2007, 02:18 PM
btw, our gold cup winning squad is playing Sweden in an international friendly, it's 0-0 late in the first half...game is on FSC live.

birddog
8/22/2007, 02:23 PM
i saw that. unfortunately i'm going to be on the road. is there a website that shows games online?

Scott D
8/22/2007, 02:25 PM
other than gamecasting can't say I know of any. Might be better searching for an audio broadcast.

ArkanSooner
8/22/2007, 03:07 PM
http://www.live-footy.org

birddog
8/22/2007, 03:12 PM
sounds like we should be winning. 1-0 swedes.
thanks ark.

birddog
8/22/2007, 03:27 PM
should have equalized there.

Scott D
8/22/2007, 03:38 PM
and we lost...not a surprise.....england v germany in 20 minutes.

birddog
8/22/2007, 03:54 PM
sweet.

illinisooner
8/22/2007, 04:09 PM
Germany 2 England 1 at Wembley

Scott D
8/22/2007, 04:10 PM
YOU BASTARD! I'M WATCHING IT NOW!

illinisooner
8/22/2007, 09:36 PM
The game was final when I posted it! Sorry, had no idea it was being shown on delay somewhere.

Scott D
8/23/2007, 06:02 PM
I'm just messing with ya. I turned it off in disgust after Lampard scored.

illinisooner
8/23/2007, 09:48 PM
Well I'm half English and half German, I didn't know who to root for.

Scott D
8/24/2007, 01:48 PM
stick a fork in our u-17s. Losing both of our matches to this point makes us done.

birddog
8/24/2007, 08:02 PM
seriously? that sucks.

did you see israel sesay is going to the galaxy? la won the "weighted draft" for his rights. i smell a rig job. did israel play for the u-17s?

Scott D
8/24/2007, 08:34 PM
he didn't play for the u-17s in the u-17 world cup due to citizenship matters. which is ironic, because he played a huge part in the qualifiers last year for the team. Apparently his US Citizenship was finalized about a year ago, it's a wierd situation imo.

birddog
8/25/2007, 12:48 AM
there's been some rumblings about manU signing martins away from the magpies, which leads me to believe that manU is hitting the panic button with rooney out for a long stretch.

also, the one and only denilson just signed with fc dallas. not a bad signing.

illinisooner
8/27/2007, 12:44 AM
Our U-17's somehow qualified for the round of 16...now they face Germany. Speaking of Germany, did anyone else notice that their coach was wearing an ascot (What Fred from Scooby Doo wears) during the England game? I can't imagine that inspires confidence among the players.

Scott D
8/27/2007, 11:24 AM
We advanced by finishing in a tie for 2nd, and our -1 GD was better than some of the other squads that finished 1-2-0

illinisooner
8/27/2007, 11:54 PM
USA/Brazil coming up on Sept 9 in Chicago...Brazil will be bringing all the big guns. This may have been discussed before, but are there any bars in the OKC/Norman area to watch soccer?

birddog
8/28/2007, 09:03 AM
i used to go to varsity on 63rd and close to may.

is that right varsity sports grill? sounds funny but i think that's it.

TUSooner
8/28/2007, 11:55 AM
***Speaking of Germany, did anyone else notice that their coach was wearing an ascot (What Fred from Scooby Doo wears) during the England game? I can't imagine that inspires confidence among the players.
As usual, I have nothing worthwhile to add, but I think you have misused "ascot". Here is an Ascot tie:
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9213/tieascotph4.jpg

I think that sissy thing you mean is just a scarf.
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5425/leftqu3.jpg

Now, back to the thread!
:twinkies:

birddog
8/28/2007, 12:45 PM
i've been in the market for one of those for years!

there's a chance man city will sign adriano from inter on a permanent basis. man city isn't playing around anymore.

Scott D
8/28/2007, 01:11 PM
West Ham is aggressively pursuing him also....I'd lay odds on them or Parma landing him before Man City.

royalfan5
8/28/2007, 04:28 PM
i've been in the market for one of those for years!

there's a chance man city will sign adriano from inter on a permanent basis. man city isn't playing around anymore.
and I appreciate that.

Scott D
8/28/2007, 06:54 PM
and I appreciate that.

except for two things.

Adriano is considered to be both fat and lazy.

illinisooner
8/28/2007, 10:05 PM
Haha, whatever it was...Freddy sets the standard.

birddog
8/29/2007, 10:21 AM
any of you watch the u-17s this morning on the U?

never mind, it's thursday on the U. i thought i missed it.

birddog
8/29/2007, 10:15 PM
superliga final at halftime. 0-0

birddog
8/29/2007, 10:54 PM
peter vaginas just cracked one into his own net. beckham did in his knee. 1-0 pachuca over the galaxy.

birddog
8/30/2007, 12:05 AM
galaxy scores on a bike in the 93rd minute. 1-1 in extra time

birddog
8/30/2007, 12:37 AM
pk's.

GrapevineSooner
8/30/2007, 08:52 AM
peter vaginas just cracked one into his own net. beckham did in his knee. 1-0 pachuca over the galaxy.

Poor guy. ;)

birddog
8/30/2007, 09:18 AM

fixed.:D he then went on to follow up that brilliant own goal with a missed pk in the shooutout. donovan had the chance to win it on the last kick and the keeper saved it.xaviermissed the whole frame as the 6th kicker and pachuca buried theirsfor the win. great, great game in front of a packed house of pachucans at the home depot center.

Scott D
8/30/2007, 01:04 PM
donovan donovaned his team again ;)

birddog
8/30/2007, 02:39 PM
yeah, you knew he was missing that one. the pachuca keep played out of his cranium. that game should have been 10-8.

illinisooner
8/30/2007, 04:36 PM
U-17's lose 2-1 to Germany...the lone Yanks goal came in the dying minutes of second half stoppage time. Not exactly a banner summer for our national teams, save a nice quarterfinal appearance from the U-20's.

Will
9/5/2007, 11:38 PM
terrible

KC//CRIMSON
9/9/2007, 04:51 PM
Watching USA vs Brazil on ESPN2. Helluva game, but we are getting screwed hard by the ref.:mad:

Cam
9/9/2007, 05:02 PM
I'm switching back and forth between this and Chicago/Chargers. I'm still trying to figure out where the foul was on the 3rd Brazil goal.

Game's final:
Brazil 4
USA 2

birddog
9/22/2007, 08:08 AM
quarterfinal

england 0 us 1 50th min.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 08:40 AM
As we approach the 20th page of this thread I'd like to answer the original question of the thread with a solid "maybe".

TUSooner
9/22/2007, 11:12 AM
I just learned Mourinho was (essentially) sacked by the Russian gangster.
To use a Brit phrase, I'm gobsmacked.
So much for Chelsea regaining the Prem.