PDA

View Full Version : Well, that's one way to get away from Les Miles

Flagstaffsooner
5/19/2007, 10:36 AM
Friday, May 18, 2007
Mike V, LSU's mascot since 1990, dies
Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. -- The 400-pound royal Bengal tiger that has been LSU's mascot since 1990 died on Friday.
The tiger, named Mike V, was often rolled out onto the sidelines of LSU home football games in a circus-style cage painted in LSU purple and gold, sometimes positioned specifically to welcome visiting teams into Tiger Stadium.
Mike V was taken into the Pete Maravich Assembly Center for selected basketball games as well. It began its stint as mascot at a basketball game against Alabama when current NBA star Shaquille O'Neal (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=847) played for LSU.
The tiger's zoo-like, open-air habitat -- complete with a waterfall, live oaks, an Italianate tower and a small pond sealed off by glass walls -- is a popular attraction among those who visit campus during sporting events.
The habitat was expanded and redesigned in 2005 at a cost of about $3 million.
"Mike V was a noble mascot who was loved by Tiger fans young and old, and he represented all that is proud and dignified about LSU," said LSU athletic director Skip Bertman. "Mike has reigned over a magnificent era of Tiger athletics and he is missed today by LSU fans the world over."
Mike IV was LSU's mascot from 1976-90. Soon after, Mike V was donated to LSU by Dr. Thomas and Caroline Atchison of the Animal Zoological Park in Moulton, Ala.
The tiger was cared for by staff, faculty and students at the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine.
Earlier this week, his caretakers noticed the tiger was having trouble breathing. An examination revealed fluid around his lungs and surgery was performed to remove it. During the operation, anesthesia caused kidney failure and an attempt to keep the animal alive with renal dialysis was unsuccessful.
"For nearly two decades, Mike's stately demeanor and mighty roar thrilled thousands of fans, young and old alike, as he represented the majestic spirit of LSU," chancellor Sean O'Keefe said in a written statement. "He will be remembered fondly and greatly missed."
Tigers tend to live about 14 to 18 years.
The university intends to acquire another tiger, school officials said.

RIP Mike.

BTW, Do we ever hear about it when Boomer or Sooner dies? How many of them have there been? I'm sure we have been thru a number of them since 1969.

Jello Biafra
5/19/2007, 01:01 PM
RIP Mike.

BTW, Do we ever hear about it when Boomer or Sooner dies? How many of them have there been? I'm sure we have been thru a number of them since 1969.

not positive but im guessing not many....a search reveals they typically live 20-25 years in captivity. with retirement and whutknot, id say we've probably had 3 pairs...

Flagstaffsooner
5/19/2007, 01:23 PM
We need some Ruf-Neks to chime in.

Dio
5/19/2007, 01:42 PM
worm-baiiiiiiiiiit!

goingoneight
5/19/2007, 09:05 PM
They had a big dealio when Bevo died last year, too. I don't recall ever hearing about Boomer or Sooner dying, they must be related to Chuck Norris.

Jello Biafra
5/19/2007, 09:31 PM
They had a big dealio when Bevo died last year, too. I don't recall ever hearing about Boomer or Sooner dying, they must be related to Chuck Norris.'

roflmao - aye....

the_ouskull
5/19/2007, 11:54 PM
Mike V. was a good tiger. Let him R.I.P.

Sin,
Lester (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9mKMJVxrk0)

the_ouskull

rankin07
5/20/2007, 12:42 AM
R.I.P. tigger

goingoneight
5/20/2007, 12:51 AM
R.I.P. Tiger... in all seriousness, all will end someday. :(

LoyalFan
5/20/2007, 04:33 PM
Well, death from natural causes DOES occur, even in Louisiana...sometimes.
Would it be "Death from natural causes" if someone admitted he just "naturally had to shoot the &$^#! Horsepigs!"? This is one juror who'd vote for acquittal...and a lifetime pension.

LF

the_ouskull
5/20/2007, 06:39 PM
I think that I could take out the horsepigs... I mean, I know I could get one before I got "taken down," but I think I could get both of them.

Would you guys see to it that my family is taken care of? I mean, I'm single, unmarried, with no kids, but, by the time I do this, I may have a family... so, you know... just keep your eyes up...

BY the way, I give you GOLD.. (Let 'em R.I.P.) and I get nothing. This board makes me sad for our future... or present, depending on the age of the folks reading this thread...

the_ouskull

Jello Biafra
5/20/2007, 07:42 PM
I think that I could take out the horsepigs... I mean, I know I could get one before I got "taken down," but I think I could get both of them.

Would you guys see to it that my family is taken care of? I mean, I'm single, unmarried, with no kids, but, by the time I do this, I may have a family... so, you know... just keep your eyes up...

BY the way, I give you GOLD.. (Let 'em R.I.P.) and I get nothing. This board makes me sad for our future... or present, depending on the age of the folks reading this thread...

the_ouskull

wooooowwwwww. you know, i even clicked on the lester link lol AND NEVER PUT THE TWO TOGETHER!!!!

my bad bro....

stoopified
5/21/2007, 09:02 AM

the_ouskullI'll take care of your wife(just make sure she is HAWT).My wife can take care of your kids.You now have a license to kill 00 ouskull. :D

mxATVracer10
5/21/2007, 10:25 AM
I just called my Ruf/Nek bro and he believes they are on Boomer & Sooner the IV. He also said that Sooner is starting to go blind, so a new pair may be on the way soon.

goingoneight
5/21/2007, 07:53 PM
I just called my Ruf/Nek bro and he believes they are on Boomer & Sooner the IV. He also said that Sooner is starting to go blind, so a new pair may be on the way soon.

We can't have a blind mascot with all the blind refs roaming around us... :mad:

the_ouskull
5/21/2007, 09:35 PM
Awww... I hurtums someones feewings?

-----

Thank you, thank you for finally catching on to the "let 'er rip," thing. Welcome. It's a nice board. Look around. Enjoy it. :D

the_ouskull

soonerboomer93
5/21/2007, 10:14 PM
As I recall, the year the schooner flipped ('94 or '95) was with a new Boomer and Sooner

the_ouskull
5/22/2007, 09:43 PM
That sucked so bad. The driver and I got a little tipsy later that evening... (Poor Doughboy...) One of 'em just started rounding that corner a lil' too fast, and then caught a snag in that God-awful turf...

When they announced that they were tearing up the field and replacing it, the RUF/NEK's grabbed that torn spot from the 29 (I think) yard line. I have no idea what's happened to it since, but I know that they had it for a while. I had some of that field too, but, God knows where it went. I could probably E-bay it or some crap... doubt I would though.

the_ouskull

JohnnyMack
5/22/2007, 09:48 PM

the_ouskull

<Backdraft>You go. We go.</Backdraft>

Just say the word.