PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Heating/AC Peeps

boomersooner28
5/19/2007, 09:15 AM
So my A/C unit quit blowing cold air at the end of last summer. Called a company, they came out, "charged the unit", charged me $90 and said have a good day. A week later, no more cold air. It was then cool enough, I decide to wait till now to fix the problem with a different company. So, dude shows up today, first thing out of his mouth was "how much ya wanna spend?" :( He started by telling me that my unit is older and is running at 60% effeciency, blah blah blah. Keep in mind, we are selling this house in about a year and really don't want to dump a ton of money into if we don't have too. He checked the refrigerant level in the A/C and it has none, obvious leak. He asked if I wanted him to find the leak, I say yes, he found that the coil is leaking and needs to be replaced but first he wanted to show me a crack in the back of my furnace. Yes, there is a crack, he says there is no reason to replace coil, entire unit needs to be replaced and it's gonna cost ALOT, as in thousands.

He notes that furnace and coil need to be replaced.

Not, what I want to hear. Any suggestions?

Newbomb Turk
5/19/2007, 09:37 AM

lube up first - it won't be as painful.

I went through this a couple of years ago. Luckily, my neighbors dad owns a heat and air company in Dallas. He sold me a Trane system at his cost - saved me a bunch.

Sooner24
5/19/2007, 10:12 AM
So my A/C unit quit blowing cold air at the end of last summer. Called a company, they came out, "charged the unit", charged me $90 and said have a good day. A week later, no more cold air. It was then cool enough, I decide to wait till now to fix the problem with a different company. So, dude shows up today, first thing out of his mouth was "how much ya wanna spend?" :( He started by telling me that my unit is older and is running at 60% effeciency, blah blah blah. Keep in mind, we are selling this house in about a year and really don't want to dump a ton of money into if we don't have too. He checked the refrigerant level in the A/C and it has none, obvious leak. He asked if I wanted him to find the leak, I say yes, he found that the coil is leaking and needs to be replaced but first he wanted to show me a crack in the back of my furnace. Yes, there is a crack, he says there is no reason to replace coil, entire unit needs to be replaced and it's gonna cost ALOT, as in thousands.

He notes that furnace and coil need to be replaced.

Even if you are planning on moving it will be harder to sell your house with a craped out AC unit. I would get a new unit enjoy the cool air this summer and have a good selling point (new AC unit) when you do get ready to sell.

trwxxa
5/19/2007, 10:30 AM
Even if you are planning on moving it will be harder to sell your house with a craped out AC unit. I would get a new unit enjoy the cool air this summer and have a good selling point (new AC unit) when you do get ready to sell.

Ditto. A new unit will save you a few bucks this summer.

sanantoniosooner
5/19/2007, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure what advice you need.

Spend money.

Fix the problem

Enjoy the cold.

Sell the house.

It's a guarantee it will cost you more on the sell of the house than it will cost to do the work and you might as well enjoy it.

GottaHavePride
5/19/2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, plus if you get a newer, more efficient system on your house your bills will be quite a bit lower.

sanantoniosooner
5/19/2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah, plus if you get a newer, more efficient system on your house your bills will be quite a bit lower.
But I wouldn't splurge for a TOP efficiency model.

You wont live there long enough to recoup the difference in cost difference.

olevetonahill
5/19/2007, 12:11 PM
Get 3 quotes . And references ! YWIA

sanantoniosooner
5/19/2007, 12:12 PM
And post those three quotes in a youtube comment or you will die in 4 days.

trwxxa
5/19/2007, 02:32 PM
Depending on the system you buy, you also get a $300 tax credit, FWIW.

sanantoniosooner
5/19/2007, 02:44 PM
Depending on the system you buy, you also get a $300 tax credit, FWIW.
The tax credit will only be for the top efficiency models and if you sell within the year, you wont get enough savings, even with the tax credit, to offset the several thousand a high efficiency model will run.

Those only pay off in the long run or if you'd rather conserve energy versus cash.