PDA

View Full Version : Who's down with Sushi?

KC//CRIMSON
5/18/2007, 03:24 PM
Personal favs:cool:

Rolled (Norimaki) Only.

Yellow Fin Tuna
Soft Shell Crab
Cooked Crab with Avacodo and Cucumber
Smoked Salmon and creamed cheese

all dipped in Soy and Wasabi.:cool:

http://www.ciaprochef.com/USARice/images/recipes/sushi.jpg

Boomer.....
5/18/2007, 03:29 PM
Out.

The only one that was half-way decent was I think the California Roll.

Petro-Sooner
5/18/2007, 03:30 PM
OUT. Tried several varieties once. Just not my thing.

Howzit
5/18/2007, 03:31 PM
Mmmmm...boats.

Salmon, yellowtail, mackerel, and lots of wasabi.

http://www.ecardica.com/ecards/postcards%5Cfood/Sushi%20Sashimi%20Boat.jpg

Mjcpr
5/18/2007, 03:31 PM
I've never tried it but I'd like to. Those all sound pretty good but I'd have to have a few beers before I'd try raw fish probably.

StoopTroup
5/18/2007, 03:32 PM
I like oysters and beer...

Hillbilly Sushi.

Mongo
5/18/2007, 03:32 PM
eel has the best flavor

sooner_born_1960
5/18/2007, 03:35 PM
Sardines and saltines.

Mjcpr
5/18/2007, 03:35 PM
eel has the best flavor

STFU, you don't eat eel.

C&CDean
5/18/2007, 03:36 PM
Here's my deal on sushi:

There's only 2 things on God's green earth that I won't eat. Guts, and really fishy fish. So, most sushi is OK by me. Except the really nasty fishy stuff (like mackerel - which tastes like nastysnatch).

I've tried most all of it. However, here's my problem with it. Why in the hell would I want to pay more for a little dab of raw fish than I'd pay for a whole filet perfectly broiled/baked/grilled? I'd eat it more if it wasn't so ridiculously overpriced. What, they catch it different than they do the filets? Sushi is a ripoff.

StoopTroup
5/18/2007, 03:37 PM
Maybe he mean veal?

Mongo
5/18/2007, 03:37 PM
STFU, you don't eat eel.

yeah huh, its electrifying

Mongo
5/18/2007, 03:38 PM
Here's my deal on sushi:

There's only 2 things on God's green earth that I won't eat. Guts, and really fishy fish. So, most sushi is OK by me. Except the really nasty fishy stuff (like mackerel - which tastes like nastysnatch).

I've tried most all of it. However, here's my problem with it. Why in the hell would I want to pay more for a little dab of raw fish than I'd pay for a whole filet perfectly broiled/baked/grilled? I'd eat it more if it wasn't so ridiculously overpriced. What, they catch it different than they do the filets? Sushi is a ripoff.

Great Dean, now when I eat nastysnatch, I'll be thinking I am eating mackeral

silverwheels
5/18/2007, 04:07 PM
California Roll was actually the worst roll I've had. There are others that are much better. Yellowfin Tuna, and Smoked Salmon are really good. The Dynamite rolls at Sushi Neko were Hell, though. Felt like my entire head was on fire.

C&CDean
5/18/2007, 04:09 PM

More wasabi.

Mjcpr
5/18/2007, 04:10 PM

Try it with a little horseradish and lemon pepper.

Mjcpr
5/18/2007, 04:11 PM
California Roll was actually the worst roll I've had.

*snicker*

You ever tried the Trouser Trout?

*snicker*

silverwheels
5/18/2007, 04:13 PM
*snicker*

You ever tried the Trouser Trout?

*snicker*

Not at any restaurant...

GottaHavePride
5/18/2007, 04:17 PM
I tried sushi once. Surprisingly (to me anyway) it was really good.

I like the nagiri as much as the norimaki, though. My only rule is it has to be fish and/or veggie. No shrimp, crab, or eel allowed. I have only liked shrimp twice out of the several times I have tried shrimp, and I haven't ever liked crab.

And I think the price tag on sushi is that because it's raw, not only do you have to have higher quality standards for the fish, but the people preparing the sushi have to be much better trained.

C&CDean
5/18/2007, 04:22 PM
And I think the price tag on sushi is that because it's raw, not only do you have to have higher quality standards for the fish, but the people preparing the sushi have to be much better trained.

My kids can cut bait. It doesn't take a whole lot of training for that.

And not liking crab/shrimp/shellfish is damn near un-American. Back when I was a kid and hated fish, I still like shellfish.

StoopTroup
5/18/2007, 04:24 PM
Mudbugs are yummy too.

KC//CRIMSON
5/18/2007, 04:28 PM
I've never tried it but I'd like to. Those all sound pretty good but I'd have to have a few beers before I'd try raw fish probably.

What most people don't know, is that there are a million different types of Sushi. Every piece I order has been cooked except the Yellow Fin Tuna.

If you were to walk into a Sushi bar, ten out of twenty people would be eating cooked types of Sushi as opposed to the raw.

Try it, homeslice. It's pretty damn good stuff.:cool:

King Crimson
5/18/2007, 04:29 PM
Rachel Ray invented sushi.

C&CDean
5/18/2007, 04:30 PM
What most people don't know, is that there are a million different types of Sushi. Every piece I order has been cooked except the Yellow Fin Tuna.

If you were to walk into a Sushi bar, ten out of twenty people would be eating cooked types of Sushi as opposed to to raw.

Just bring your wallet. Enough sushi to fill my gut is around $75.

silverwheels
5/18/2007, 04:30 PM

If you were to walk into a Sushi bar, ten out of twenty people would be eating cooked types of Sushi as opposed to to raw.

Yeah, the misconception that all sushi is raw fish is why a lot of people won't try it. Most of it is cooked, like you said, and I like to order it fried sometimes. Good stuff.

KC//CRIMSON
5/18/2007, 05:03 PM

Are you ordering take out from Japan?

Me and Feather can get loaded together for $45 with drinks.:cool:

Note to self, never take Dean out for Sushi. Go for the BBQ.

GottaHavePride
5/18/2007, 05:06 PM

If you were to walk into a Sushi bar, ten out of twenty people would be eating cooked types of Sushi as opposed to the raw.

Oddly enough, I actually like the nagiri best - and that's just a slice of raw fish on top of rice. The fish tends to nearly disintegrate, though, so the only texture you get is the rice.

Boarder
5/18/2007, 05:10 PM
That's why that all you can eat place called Todai in Vegas was so much of a favorite of mine.

I don't like that many different ones but I do like California Rolls. I don't like the raw ones. There's just no point to me. unless I'm stuck on a desert island I'll be cooking the fish.

I actully like the Dragon Rolls at Super Target. It's a California Roll with more thin slices of avacado on top. They're really tasty for grocery store sushi.

And, i don't care if I'm a sushi purist or not.

Chuck Bao
5/18/2007, 08:17 PM

There are all-you-can-eat sushi joints in Bangkok charging about $8. It's local fish but it's fresh and not bad.

Except, I'm still trying to recover from food poisioning on home delivery sushi a month ago.

soonerboomer93
5/18/2007, 08:21 PM
Here's my deal on sushi:

hey, rice and seaweed are expensive...

picasso
5/18/2007, 08:26 PM
some like it hot

id

@ Innen ze raw

Suerreal
5/19/2007, 12:27 AM
I tried sushi for the first time a few years ago. I enjoy it more than I'd have ever thought. It can be expensive, but doesn't have to be. Some places have a chef's choice where you get a dozen pieces for $6-8.

- Sue

Frozen Sooner
5/19/2007, 12:43 AM
I love sushi. There's a few places in town that do a $12 lunch buffet for it and it's reasonably high quality.

There's also a hotel downtown who has one of the sushi "master" chefs who are licensed to prepare fugu. Haven't gotten up the nerve for that one yet.

Boffingham
5/19/2007, 10:32 AM
Any Eel Roll.

The best roll ever - Yummy Yummy Roll from Sushi Zushi (SA, Dallas, Houston?)

The Caymen Roll there is delicious as well. Sushi is not so big here in England, but I've found good Indian and Thai

KC//CRIMSON
5/19/2007, 12:45 PM
I love sushi. There's a few places in town that do a $12 lunch buffet for it and it's reasonably high quality.

There's also a hotel downtown who has one of the sushi "master" chefs who are licensed to prepare fugu. Haven't gotten up the nerve for that one yet.

Without doing a google search, is that blowfish?

No way. I would never even risk it. One wrong bite and you're dead.:eek:

sanantoniosooner
5/19/2007, 12:49 PM
The funny thing about the blowfish is that they don't remove all the poison in preparation.

It's all about leaving just the right amount of poison to give you a buzz.

Frozen Sooner
5/19/2007, 01:18 PM
Without doing a google search, is that blowfish?

No way. I would never even risk it. One wrong bite and you're dead.:eek:

Yep, that's the blowfish.

Frozen Sooner
5/19/2007, 01:18 PM
The funny thing about the blowfish is that they don't remove all the poison in preparation.

It's all about leaving just the right amount of poison to give you a buzz.

Well, hell son, what do you think bourbon is?

KC//CRIMSON
6/3/2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah, the misconception that all sushi is raw fish is why a lot of people won't try it. Most of it is cooked, like you said, and I like to order it fried sometimes. Good stuff.

I had "Spider Sushi" Friday night. Deep fried soft shell crab with avacado and cucumber.

Rocked.

Face.

Off.

Also had this Korean dish called Bi Bim Bap. Fantastic.:cool:

opksooner
6/3/2007, 04:36 PM
I tried Sushi once.....but by the time they served it, it was cold. :rolleyes:

Oh.......wait..........!

...never mind

yermom
6/3/2007, 04:43 PM
I had "Spider Sushi" Friday night. Deep fried soft shell crab with avacado and cucumber.

Rocked.

Face.

Off.

Also had this Korean dish called Bi Bim Bap. Fantastic.:cool:

i've been getting a variant of that at the place in Moore lately, basically the same thing without the egg

and i've heard good things reccently about the Dynamite Sticks at Sushi Neko :D