PDA

View Full Version : More on the Bridal Industrial Complex

Okla-homey
5/18/2007, 04:59 AM
This person I know, we'll call her June, is getting married this summer in OKC. In fact, the ceremony is in the capitol rotunda. Apparently, any Oklahoman can get permission to get married there and they don't even charge. However, she did have to rent chairs form someplace.

Here's the funny part. The chair rental place actually charged her (actually her parents...I asked) MORE for the chairs because they'll be used in a wedding vice an ordinary business function.

Now, after that, they are having their reception at the Skirvin. They charge for that. Here's the thing, I think they should have just had the reception across the street at OHS under Winnie Mae. She says they actually considered it, but the Winnie Mae was a bit over the top (no pun intended) for her tastes. The groom, we'll call him Ward, did not have an opinion.

MamaMia
5/18/2007, 08:49 AM
We had my daughters wedding reception in the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory. It was breathtakingly beautiful and the people who work there are so helpful and nice. :)

OUHOMER
5/18/2007, 08:52 AM
The groom, we'll call him Ward, did not have an opinion.

he is a smart man, this marriage should last:D

OKLA21FAN
5/18/2007, 08:54 AM
its a profit deal!

not sure which is worse though.

the wedding industry, or the funeral industry.

frankensooner
5/18/2007, 09:02 AM
Uh, the funeral industry.

crawfish
5/18/2007, 09:04 AM
Grooms should avoid opinions on the wedding, in general, except when asked directly. In that case, they should read the mind of the bride and pick the option she would choose on her own.

Any other option will lead to tears and angst.

TUSooner
5/18/2007, 09:19 AM
Grooms should avoid opinions on the wedding, in general....
Yes, indeed; it prepares them for the marriage.

OUHOMER
5/18/2007, 09:40 AM
its a profit deal!

the wedding industry, or the funeral industry.

It would be the funeral industry. its their last time to screw ya.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/18/2007, 10:33 AM
There's a bit on Brit TV about flowers. The regular flowers are say 10 pound, the wedding flowers (while the exact same thing) are 40 pounds. The guy keeps harping that the flowers are the same and the flower girl keeps saying with a "smile" they are not the same, they are "wedding" flowers. Finally the guy says he'll take the regular flowers and the wife to be starts to cry and demand "wedding" flowers, he protests, but buys the "wedding" flowers and the flower girl smiles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff13zZ0h0k

LilSooner
5/18/2007, 02:19 PM
This person I know, we'll call her June, is getting married this summer in OKC. In fact, the ceremony is in the capitol rotunda. Apparently, any Oklahoman can get permission to get married there and they don't even charge. However, she did have to rent chairs form someplace.

Here's the funny part. The chair rental place actually charged her (actually her parents...I asked) MORE for the chairs because they'll be used in a wedding vice an ordinary business function.

Now, after that, they are having their reception at the Skirvin. They charge for that. Here's the thing, I think they should have just had the reception across the street at OHS under Winnie Mae. She says they actually considered it, but the Winnie Mae was a bit over the top (no pun intended) for her tastes. The groom, we'll call him Ward, did not have an opinion.

She should have gone to some one else on the rental that's a bunch of bull, unless she is doing slip covers or something else. But chairs are chairs.

The skirvin is awesome! If we knew for sure that it was going to be open we would have had the wedding/reception there. We stayed there after wedding in one of the suites and it is seriously one of the nicest places I have ever been.

VeeJay
5/18/2007, 03:07 PM
Ward, you sure were hard on the Beaver last night.

Okla-homey
5/18/2007, 03:11 PM
She should have gone to some one else on the rental that's a bunch of bull, unless she is doing slip covers or something else. But chairs are chairs.

The skirvin is awesome! If we knew for sure that it was going to be open we would have had the wedding/reception there. We stayed there after wedding in one of the suites and it is seriously one of the nicest places I have ever been.

As an aside, her mom is freaking out b/c the Skirvin also has some big doins' on tap that same night for a Gaylord party. Mom is afraid the Skirvin folks will be bending over backwards for the Gaylords and give this small reception dealio short shrift.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/18/2007, 03:46 PM
its a profit deal!

the wedding industry, or the funeral industry.Funeral planning for sure. That's why I advocate pre-planning. There are a lot of things most mortuaries try to throw into a package while people are grieving and not thinking clearly. For instance, Resthaven wanted to charge $400 to carry my uncle 50 yards from the funeral home to the gravesite.

When people get married they are more likely to make decisions based on what they want but they don't necessarily think of those things as necessities.

StoopTroup
5/18/2007, 03:54 PM
We had ours at Holy Family Cathedral.

My Wife wanted to go to the Tulsa Rose Garden and after seeing the inside of Holy Family...it took her about 1 to 2 seconds to see it my way...

Grooms without opinions are doomed IMO...

That Ward guy better look out....lol.

I will always opt for a Church Wedding when asked for advice...

Many of the Churches in Downtown Tulsa are gorgeous and are worth the price / wait IMO...I do understand those folks that are more into non-traditional weddings however...It's your choice as a couple to make IMO...

http://www.world-guides.com/images/tulsa/tulsa_holy_family_cathedral.jpghttp://p.vtourist.com/1/1093277-Holy_Family_Cathedral_Tulsa-Oklahoma.jpg