5/17/2007, 06:48 PM
Im thinking of getting one for the shack , anyone have any opinons
discuss

Fraggle145
5/17/2007, 06:55 PM
http://www.omlet.us/images/pellets.gif

Okla-homey
5/17/2007, 08:26 PM
I've known a few guys who had 'em. They seemed like great pieces of gear. Good for the Earth too apparently. Get the kind that has a big firebox that sticks out into the shack and you can use the top as a cooking surface. In winter when its in use, my bro-in-law makes coffee in an old skool percolator on top of his just like Matt and Festus did. Plus, I recall eating a pot of beans simmered on said firebox top as well.

olevetonahill
5/17/2007, 08:34 PM
Im looking for a small one , My shack aint big
But Homey Ive cooked beans and taters on the top of wood stoves :D
good stuff

OUHOMER
5/17/2007, 10:29 PM
THEY ARE GREAT WHEN THEY WORK. We heated for years with just a wood burning stove. I would go thru at least 8 ricks of wood. I go so tried of cutting down trees, splitting wood , hauling it, unloading it, stacking it, keeping it dry, bringing it in, cleaning out the ash,and starting over building a fire. What a pain tin the ***.

So we bought one when they first came out. At the time there was only 2 places in OKC that carried the pellets. Now you can but the stuff at Lowes. My started having problems after about 2 years. nobody really knew how to work on them. Plus the price has come down or at least they have not gotten any higher. but yea , if i had to buy one again i would buy a newer one. it so easy just to put in pellets,and easy to start.

olevetonahill
5/17/2007, 11:29 PM
THEY ARE GREAT WHEN THEY WORK. We heated for years with just a wood burning stove. I would go thru at least 8 ricks of wood. I go so tried of cutting down trees, splitting wood , hauling it, unloading it, stacking it, keeping it dry, bringing it in, cleaning out the ash,and starting over building a fire. What a pain tin the ***.

So we bought one when they first came out. At the time there was only 2 places in OKC that carried the pellets. Now you can but the stuff at Lowes. My started having problems after about 2 years. nobody really knew how to work on them. Plus the price has come down or at least they have not gotten any higher. but yea , if i had to buy one again i would buy a newer one. it so easy just to put in pellets,and easy to start.

So is that like a Yes ? or a No ?:confused:
I aint doing the wood stove thingy again EVAR .

OUHOMER
5/18/2007, 06:53 AM
Its a YES

Okla-homey
5/18/2007, 07:20 AM
They make corn stoves now too which burn feed corn. That might work well for you too.

Tailwind
5/18/2007, 08:15 AM
Naw, he needs that corn to make his sour mash. :D

C&CDean
5/18/2007, 08:26 AM
You may want to rethink the whole "I ain't doing wood anymore" dealio. The newer wood burning stoves are allsome. I did a lot of research last year on wood vs. pellets vs. gas. I had a wood fireplace that some dumbass converted to gas - which I reconverted back to wood. Momma wanted a insert, so I looked at several different companies/stoves.

In the industry, Lopi Stoves are considered to the best. We bought a Revere model, and it heats over 2,000 SF. It also has the cooktop, blower fan, etc. Our furnace never turned on this winter.

They also have all the regular stand-alone stoves - in wood or pellet. Check them out at: http://www.lopistoves.com/

I will say they're not cheap. Our stove was about $3,800 installed. I'm sure you can get a smaller free-standing install yourself stove for a hell of a lot less. Good luck. Now is the time to buy BTW.