PDA

View Full Version : 2007 RRS--Biggest in Years!

htownsooner7
5/17/2007, 01:39 PM
Miami is going to be a tougher game than many expect. Their defense will be all we want, especially with a developing quarterback. That being said, we should still be a touchdown favorite. If we get by them, the RRS will be the biggest matchup in years. I anticipate both teams being in the top 5 and as always, the winner will be in great shape for the NC picture. I genuinely thought we were outhit last year and careless with the ball. It's time for Big Game Bob to rekindle his mastery over Mack and position us for a big run. Get your tickets now!

LittleWingSooner
5/17/2007, 01:40 PM
Since when has this game not been the biggest RRS game in years? It's the biggest game on our schedule every year, and it should be.

htownsooner7
5/17/2007, 01:43 PM
Both teams have not been in the national championship picture in 4 or 5 years. It's not that arguable.

htownsooner7
5/17/2007, 01:44 PM
I mean that at the time of the game, they have not both been in the hunt. One has been slightly (if not more) off the NC radar. This year, both will be jockeying..

fwsooner22
5/17/2007, 01:47 PM
Miami is going to be a tougher game than many expect. Their defense will be all we want, especially with a developing quarterback. That being said, we should still be a touchdown favorite. If we get by them, the RRS will be the biggest matchup in years. I anticipate both teams being in the top 5 and as always, the winner will be in great shape for the NC picture. I genuinely thought we were outhit last year and careless with the ball. It's time for Big Game Bob to rekindle his mastery over Mack and position us for a big run. Get your tickets now!

The last two years we were considered underdogs and it was the BIGGEST game of the year. The fifth time we beat them in five years it was the biggest game of the year. It was the biggest game of the year in 74-75, 85 and 2000. It will always be the Biggest period.

I understand your point but you are going to get pounded by a few. Come to think of it I think I will go pound a few.................
;)

CincySooner
5/17/2007, 02:05 PM
Both teams have not been in the national championship picture in 4 or 5 years. It's not that arguable.

Actually both teams were very much in the NC race in 2004 when October rolled around

htownsooner7
5/17/2007, 02:53 PM
In 2004, all the whorn fans didn't even show up. You could get a ticket outside the gate for 20 bucks. And they were right, the greatest human being to ever put on pads and a helmet (according to them) scored all of ZERO points.

Collier11
5/17/2007, 03:08 PM
I am pretty sure that he is talking about the national magnitude of the game guys, use some common sense and stop challenging his statement just to say you challenged it. This RRS is always big with us and them, and it has been huge nationally 4 out of the last 7 years or so, but I am with him. This year when we get by Miami, this game will be on the level of Ohio st/texas from the past two years! I feel ya Broseph!

StoopTroup
5/17/2007, 05:28 PM
Here's my take on the RRSO (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91265)

rankin07
5/17/2007, 11:59 PM
colt mccoy is no vince young..and he's gonna have a hard time this year against our D in my opinion just like chrissy simms all over again..esp when he meets our mr.mccoy :D but our D will be very solid and if one of our QB's can get better and more confident every game esp by Texas then we are in great shape to win it. I have a feeling that sam bradford will have a very good year like colt mccoy did last year and he will lead us to victories against Miami and Texas.OO..and beware of demarco murray texass..

basel90
5/18/2007, 03:51 AM
with all due respect to paul thompson , he cost us the Texas game and the Bowl game last year. Very careless with the ball and very inconsistant with his throws. I cannot get over the fact he was outplayed by a freshman while paul has been there 5 years. Facts are facts.we could have won both these games if we had a good QB . Some of my freinds who saw sam bradford said he was the better QB last year as well , but stoops naturally went with experience and rightly saw from a logical standpoint. However the results have shown it was the wrond decision.
i am hopefull with Sam Bradford we will have that additional talent at QB that we have been missing.

CincySooner
5/18/2007, 08:09 AM
with all due respect to paul thompson , he cost us the Texas game and the Bowl game last year. Very careless with the ball and very inconsistant with his throws. I cannot get over the fact he was outplayed by a freshman while paul has been there 5 years. Facts are facts.we could have won both these games if we had a good QB . Some of my freinds who saw sam bradford said he was the better QB last year as well , but stoops naturally went with experience and rightly saw from a logical standpoint. However the results have shown it was the wrond decision.
i am hopefull with Sam Bradford we will have that additional talent at QB that we have been missing.

I disagree with your claim that Thompson was the cause of the saxeT loss. He didnt turn the ball over at all until the game was out of reach. I just dont see how Thompson is to blame for the 3 fumbles and idiot penalties.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/18/2007, 08:38 AM
basel90 you're so close to neg spekking...

Don't ever complain about a guy who gave everything to the team and stepped up to play out of position once again because of a team need. There are many other reasons why we lost the games we did, but they sure weren't because of Paul Thompson. If anything, he placed us in position to win games...

That is not to say we may have done better with more experience at QB, you're just not going to see me criticize Paul.

footballfanatic
5/18/2007, 10:00 AM
colt mccoy is no vince young..and he's gonna have a hard time this year against our D in my opinion just like chrissy simms all over again..esp when he meets our mr.mccoy :D but our D will be very solid and if one of our QB's can get better and more confident every game esp by Texas then we are in great shape to win it. I have a feeling that sam bradford will have a very good year like colt mccoy did last year and he will lead us to victories against Miami and Texas.OO..and beware of demarco murray texass..

You're claiming McCoy isn't good because he's no Vince Young? No one is Vince Young, lol, and don't expect to see another like him for quite some time. As I recall, McCoy played very well aginst your defense last year, and that was a very good defense. This year, he won't have the offensive line strength to support him, so he may be more vulnerable to sacks. I wouldn't put McCoy in the same measure as Simms. While he's not as talented as Simms, he is more heady, and, importantly, very careful with the ball. He has great receivers, and a good, not great running back behind him. Plus, he has lots of great experience. Experience at the QB position (thanks again, Mr. Bomar) provides the difference in another Texas win.

TexasLidig8r
5/18/2007, 10:21 AM
with all due respect to paul thompson , he cost us the Texas game and the Bowl game last year. .

You lost the game last year because, particularly in the second half, you got physically beaten up. Texas was much more aggressive. It seemed like everytime an OU receiver caught the ball, he was popped.

And, you didn't think it strange that Texas, on kickoffs, kicked the ball to Peterson? Texas wanted to physically punish him.

The more aggressive, harder hitting team won last year.

Oh.. and as for Thompson... even with my burnt orange blood, what a stand up guy for your team he was. Made a lot of sacrifices, was never heard to whine and played his guts out either as QB or wide receiver.

soonerinabilene
5/18/2007, 10:34 AM

Yeah, that big 12 championship trophy is worthless.:rolleyes:

McCoy has more composure in his pinky than Chrissy has in his whole body, so don't expect him to crack. BUT... He was a redshirt freshman last year that wasn't the most talented qb on his own team, but showed the coaches he had the maturity and mindset to be able to handle it. Who's to say that Bradford isnt the same. I see alot of similarities between Bradford\Nichols and McCoy\Snead from last year.

The running game is the key for either team. We have a plethora of talented running backs behind a solid o-line. Texas is going to have to compensate for losing some good lineman. If our running game can dominate, milk the clock some, set up the play action, and allow Jermaine and Kelly to get some catches, the game is our ours for the taking. If we can't do that, we are in trouble, IMO.

fwsooner22
5/18/2007, 10:38 AM
I am pretty sure that he is talking about the national magnitude of the game guys, use some common sense and stop challenging his statement just to say you challenged it. This RRS is always big with us and them, and it has been huge nationally 4 out of the last 7 years or so, but I am with him. This year when we get by Miami, this game will be on the level of Ohio st/texas from the past two years! I feel ya Broseph!

Understand what you are saying but if we quit challenging each others posts this will be one dead board.....................

FlatheadSooner
5/18/2007, 10:58 AM
You lost the game last year because, particularly in the second half, you got physically beaten up. Texas was much more aggressive. It seemed like everytime an OU receiver caught the ball, he was popped.

And, you didn't think it strange that Texas, on kickoffs, kicked the ball to Peterson? Texas wanted to physically punish him.

The more aggressive, harder hitting team won last year.

Oh.. and as for Thompson... even with my burnt orange blood, what a stand up guy for your team he was. Made a lot of sacrifices, was never heard to whine and played his guts out either as QB or wide receiver.

One word - "FUMBLES"!
:rolleyes:

Collier11
5/18/2007, 11:19 AM
Understand what you are saying but if we quit challenging each others posts this will be one dead board.....................

yes yes I realize this, but we dont want to scare the young pup off do we?

htownsooner7
5/18/2007, 11:57 AM
I appreciate the backing Collier11. If you don't know that the RRS is the biggest game on both of OUr and Tu's schedule, then you shouldn't be on this board. I didn't feel the need to qualify my statement as that should have gone without saying. Check me out at last year's game. This was in The Oklahoman. I will never sit on their side again but they were the only tickets I could snag.. And yes, I am a pup but I represent hard core as much as possible.. http://www.oklahoman.net/article/2952707/?template=sports/ou

Sco
5/18/2007, 12:06 PM
Actually both teams were very much in the NC race in 2004 when October rolled around

And it's been "years" since 2004.... 3, to be exact.

Collier11
5/18/2007, 12:14 PM
I appreciate the backing Collier11. If you don't know that the RRS is the biggest game on both of OUr and Tu's schedule, then you shouldn't be on this board. I didn't feel the need to qualify my statement as that should have gone without saying. Check me out at last year's game. This was in The Oklahoman. I will never sit on their side again but they were the only tickets I could snag.. And yes, I am a pup but I represent hard core as much as possible.. http://www.oklahoman.net/article/2952707/?template=sports/ou

If there wasnt an intelligent OU fan sitting amongst them, they wouldnt even know why they were there to cheer!

swardboy
5/18/2007, 01:53 PM

I don't know....don't look such a bad seating to me!

josh09
5/19/2007, 05:18 PM
Since when has this game not been the biggest RRS game in years? It's the biggest game on our schedule every year, and it should be.

Correction: Its the biggest for Texass.

PLaw
5/19/2007, 06:53 PM
It's time for Big Game Bob to rekindle his mastery over Mack and position us for a big run. Get your tickets now!

Big Game Bob has definitely lost his mojo. Going back to the Sugar Bowl and then the Orange Bowl fiasco it's clear the Big Red Sooners were not ready to play and too tight.

I hope he finds it, sooner than later.

Boomer

PLAW

MojoRisen
5/19/2007, 09:02 PM
I will say that I understand white could barely stand in the surgar bowl. USC just spanked us but that fumbled punt may have started a downward spiral- however maybe we loose 55 - 31 or something like that.

Thompson was a sound performer - but clearly I would rather go 8-3 and play less conservatively- and be ready for next year - than play tight get to the big game and get crushed. I am hoping Bradford is ready or Nichol for that matter - this year- but I suspect we are a year away. That doesn't mean we can't go 11-1 or 12-0 - Just not sure if we can hang with a Florida of last year - this year probably again USC.

Any given Saturday though with our sound O & D line. Even with question marks - our Dline will likely be a lot better. Granger really came on last year and McCoy is definitely going to be a sick player. DE's will be fine if not better-