PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite oil company?

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 12:23 PM
I feel that oil companies get a bad rap by there general public, although it is probably less so in Oklahoma than elsewhere, so I thought I would start a positive thread about them. Personally my favorite oil company is Marathon due to their sponsorship of Kyle Petty, followed closely by ConocoPhillips due to sponsorship of Big VIII/XII basketball over the years. I also thought Kerr/McGee had a sweet logo. People don't appreciate all the good large multi-national corporations do for us, and I want to change that.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/17/2007, 12:28 PM
I like them all except CITGO and BP...Boycott Citgo. BP is not the touchy feely, safe company you'd think their adverts are telling you...

Petro-Sooner
5/17/2007, 12:30 PM
Which ever one hires me. :texan:

OKLA21FAN
5/17/2007, 12:32 PM
Crisco

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 12:34 PM
I like them all except CITGO and BP...Boycott Citgo. BP is not the touchy feely, safe company you'd think their adverts are telling you...

BP is pretty guilty of some egregious PR, that's for sure. it's called "greenwashing" in some circles. like changing the logo from BP to a flower or whatever it is. yeah, right?

my uncle worked for Conoco and i was born in Ponca City. i guess i choose Conoco. though, i find this a very strange thread while gas prices are where they are. ummm, and it's a longstanding opinion of mine that watching the american people learn to *love* 2.50 a gallon gas is pretty nifty ideological swindle.

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 12:36 PM
BP is pretty guilty of some egregious PR, that's for sure. it's called "greenwashing" in some circles. like changing the logo from BP to a flower or whatever it is. yeah, right?

my uncle worked for Conoco and i was born in Ponca City. i guess i choose Conoco. though, i find this a very strange thread while gas prices are where they are. ummm, and it's a longstanding opinion of mine that watching the american people learn to *love* 2.50 a gallon gas is pretty nifty ideological swindle.
If 95% of the world's oil wasn't controlled by State Owned oil companies, I bet we would see much cheaper gas.

SoonerBorn68
5/17/2007, 12:39 PM

I don't know about touchy, or feely, but I do know personally they are all about safety--at least on their drilling locations. There's a safety meeting before nearly every procedure & all people on location have to attend a 30 minute safety meeting every day before their shift starts.

And my favorite oil company is the one that pays me. :)

crawfish
5/17/2007, 12:41 PM
Wesson.

mdklatt
5/17/2007, 12:43 PM
Albertson's Express

rufnek05
5/17/2007, 12:44 PM
Great value

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 12:52 PM
If 95% of the world's oil wasn't controlled by State Owned oil companies, I bet we would see much cheaper gas.

possibly. but how is that en expectation "we" should have? that a nation-state should open it's natural resources as a source of revenue to a highly-imbalanced global marketplace in which it's empirically true that the most powerful military force the human race has ever known will be deployed to support the "economic interests" of what is allegedly also a national interest.

jus sayin'. it's irrational to have that expectation as an american consumer--or to place moral demands on other nations to behave "as we want them to".

Ardmore_Sooner
5/17/2007, 12:56 PM
I drive an electric car

TheHumanAlphabet
5/17/2007, 01:00 PM
I don't know about touchy, or feely, but I do know personally they are all about safety--at least on their drilling locations. There's a safety meeting before nearly every procedure & all people on location have to attend a 30 minute safety meeting every day before their shift starts.

And my favorite oil company is the one that pays me. :)

Agree with you on that (bolded).

In the safety arena, I speak of the texas land based facilities (several recent TV specials on the place). I suspect that the lack of safety and safety mindset on the downstream side was endemic. Don't know about the upstream side.

IB4OU2
5/17/2007, 01:01 PM
Gibble Gas......I bet they're aren't to many here that remember them.

SoonerBorn68
5/17/2007, 01:06 PM
Agree with you on that (bolded).

In the safety arena, I speak of the texas land based facilities (several recent TV specials on the place). I suspect that the lack of safety and safety mindset on the downstream side was endemic. Don't know about the upstream side.

Speaking of lack of safety, I was talking to a Company man from another rig last night who showed me a couple of pics of some recently dead rough necks from Texas. The cable the block rides up & down on broke & the block fell and crushed 2. Not pretty.

It could have been avoided if they had changed the drilling cable sooner.

StuIsTheMan
5/17/2007, 01:09 PM
V05

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/6725/vo5kx2.gif (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

usmc-sooner
5/17/2007, 01:12 PM
K Y petroleum based jelly

Chuck Bao
5/17/2007, 01:14 PM
The ones who drill in Marshall Co.

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 01:18 PM
possibly. but how is that en expectation "we" should have? that a nation-state should open it's natural resources as a source of revenue to a highly-imbalanced global marketplace in which it's empirically true that the most powerful military force the human race has ever known will be deployed to support the "economic interests" of what is allegedly also a national interest.

jus sayin'. it's irrational to have that expectation as an american consumer--or to place moral demands on other nations to behave "as we want them to".
It's not irrational when you look at how poorly state owned oil companies are run, and how they are run. For example, if Pemex was ran for profit instead of as a part of the state, they would likely bother to reinvest in their business instead of letting it wallow in a perpetual state of harvest in the name of politics. It is irrational for nations to run their state oil companies as they do.

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 01:21 PM
Whichever one decides to come drill up my gas.

Turd_Ferguson
5/17/2007, 01:23 PM
Gibble Gas......I bet they're aren't to many here that remember them.
wasn't that the one with the race horse on the sign? There was one on the NW side of Lex. I think.

SteelClip49
5/17/2007, 01:25 PM
Pennzoil

Ike
5/17/2007, 01:34 PM
Whichever ones are paying my pops for exploration.

Although I think right now most of them are Nat. Gas companies. Mostly Devon and Chesapeake from what I hear.

hurricane'bone
5/17/2007, 01:37 PM
The one that pays my dad.

OULOVE
5/17/2007, 01:56 PM
Someone told me that conoco was just the letters of OU all spun around to form the name. I have been going there ever since.

Flagstaffsooner
5/17/2007, 02:00 PM
Whichever one decides to come drill up my gas.For once I going to behave myself and not post something smartassed.

goodonya
5/17/2007, 02:09 PM

How about when it is the only or only practical export it has? How much commerce do you see in the middle east outside oil and Israel? They don't export goods because they don't manufacture goods they manufacture chaos and export it.

1stTimeCaller
5/17/2007, 02:10 PM
I like Marathon, they named one of my wells 'Finally a Governor With Guts'. Carl Gungoll and Ward Petroleum are OK in my book. I also really like Devon. I don't really care for EOG, formerly Enron Oil and Gas.

IB4OU2
5/17/2007, 02:13 PM
wasn't that the one with the race horse on the sign? There was one on the NW side of Lex. I think.

That's right and there was one across the street from the Norman Hospital on Robinson the little brick building is still there.

Mjcpr
5/17/2007, 02:15 PM
That's right and there was one across the street from the Norman Hospital on Robinson the little brick building is still there.

What'd they sell, Ethel?

:D

Petro-Sooner
5/17/2007, 02:16 PM
I don't really care for EOG, formerly Enron Oil and Gas.

Why is that? I've interviewed for a position there. Never heard of them until the interview. And I've heard cheasapeake referred to as the evil empire many times.

VeeJay
5/17/2007, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure if supporting any sponsor of NASCAR race cars is the most cost-effective way to spend your own dollars.

All those logos going around in circles at 180 mph are heavily advertised in other places, like football and baseball stadiums (Bud, MGD, Office Depot, Circuit City, etc.). It's all about advertising budgets. By paying a little more for those NASCAR-sponsored products, you're basically paying for their advertising - and the salary of your favorite driver. And lemme tell you, them good ol' boys have some fancy toys.

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 02:22 PM
my favorite is which ever one is purchasing the tlp my company is building...

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure if supporting any sponsor of NASCAR race cars is the most cost-effective way to spend your own dollars.

All those logos going around in circles at 180 mph are heavily advertised in other places, like football and baseball stadiums (Bud, MGD, Office Depot, Circuit City, etc.). It's all about advertising budgets. By paying a little more for those NASCAR-sponsored products, you're basically paying for their advertising - and the salary of your favorite driver. And lemme tell you, them good ol' boys have some fancy toys.
There aren't any Marathon stations up here, so it's not like I support them financially. I just root for them to find more oil.

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 02:25 PM

oil isn't state owned here

i'm paying around $6.00 a gallon

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 02:32 PM
oil isn't state owned here

i'm paying around $6.00 a gallon
http://www.dallasfed.org/research/eclett/2006/el0604.html As an illustration of my point. It's not like non-state owned oil companies operate in a difference supply and demand function than state owned. The unwillingness of state owned oil companies to invest in production, and instead treating oil as a cash cow to be milked for political favor, keeps the supply constrained which in turn leads to a higher equilibrium price. That in turn is affected by additional factors in the various markets for refined oil products.

Ike
5/17/2007, 02:51 PM
Speaking of gas prices. on tuesday, and continuing through today at least, we hit that odd zenith that I have been waiting for for a while now. The price of a gallon of gas (the cheap gas) EXACTLY matches the price for a pack of smokes.

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 02:55 PM
Speaking of gas prices. on tuesday, and continuing through today at least, we hit that odd zenith that I have been waiting for for a while now. The price of a gallon of gas (the cheap gas) EXACTLY matches the price for a pack of smokes.

that's a real cosmic alliance, fer shure.

:texan:

crawfish
5/17/2007, 02:58 PM
What'd they sell, Ethel?

:D

LOOK OUT ETHEL!!!

But, it was too late.

She'd been moonshined.

Ike
5/17/2007, 02:59 PM
that's a real cosmic alliance, fer shure.

:texan:

damn skippy it is.
Next milestone is when a gallon of gas = a six pack of sam adams.
:eddie:

Ike
5/17/2007, 03:00 PM
LOOK OUT ETHEL!!!

But, it was too late.

She'd been moonshined.

heh. Spek.

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 03:01 PM
damn skippy it is.
Next milestone is when a gallon of gas = a six pack of sam adams.
:eddie:

at'll give a guy a reason to stay at home and praise one the founding fathers.

Ike
5/17/2007, 03:06 PM
at'll give a guy a reason to stay at home and praise one the founding fathers.

yup. I need to start working on my alcohol and tobacco powered cars again.

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 03:07 PM
yup. I need to start working on my alcohol and tobacco powered cars again.
You should make sure there is easy access to firearm storage in that kind of car as well.

Ike
5/17/2007, 03:10 PM
You should make sure there is easy access to firearm storage in that kind of car as well.

The trifecta! maybe get it powered on a mix of alcohol, tobacco and gunpowder. :D

SoonerBorn68
5/17/2007, 04:36 PM
The trifecta! maybe get it powered on a mix of alcohol, tobacco and gunpowder. :D

Great, that's all we need--a car regulated by the BATF. :D

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 07:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8_OerWWEQ4&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXSpHpdRwkU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCmz9CisSow&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYn5hxeFt10&mode=related&search=

awesome vids. heh.

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 07:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT2DktNBRfo&mode=related&search=

sabbath: sweet leaf: Ozzy looks like Smeagol's bro Deagol. one of the great chunk riffs off Master of Reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8hs1aWiwN0

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 07:17 PM

who cares about morals when you have the most powerful military force the human race has ever known ;)

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 07:27 PM
for my boy Dio: Heaven and Hell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UT1mrhcwgU&mode=related&search=

and this is an all-timer: and check the Rickenbacker bass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ_FgL5l1og&mode=related&search=

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 07:37 PM

smokes - 2500 won/pack
gas - 1600 won/liter (rough guess but it's in that area, I didn't fill up like i planned today so I didn't look)

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 07:39 PM

or put a pop-up gatling gun in the hood

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 07:44 PM
http://www.dallasfed.org/research/eclett/2006/el0604.html As an illustration of my point. It's not like non-state owned oil companies operate in a difference supply and demand function than state owned. The unwillingness of state owned oil companies to invest in production, and instead treating oil as a cash cow to be milked for political favor, keeps the supply constrained which in turn leads to a higher equilibrium price. That in turn is affected by additional factors in the various markets for refined oil products.

actually, it's the taxes that help push the price up to a certain degree. US oil is very undertaxed compared to a lot of other nations. Raising the tax on it and pushing the price of a gallon up would have a better long term impact on US consumption imho.

Oh, and I kinda like high oil prices. Frankly, it keeps me employed.

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 07:55 PM
great opening riff from a great spare hard rock record album, before the leader of the misfits became a cartoon character doing goofball goth impressions of Elvis and Jim Morrison. song used in a recent episode of Entourage, FYI. "what a drag it is getting old..."

the original def jam recording had that mile wide, mile deep out of yer speakers Rick Rubin production that made other records sound like an MCA cassette from 1979.

and to complete the story, i went with some friends to see Soundgarden open for Danzig in 1990 at at some glorified gym that had about 6 basketball courts. this was the Louder than Love SG....before Badmotorfinger came out, i think. that's why we went. SG did about the coolest thing ever opening with Beyond the Wheel from Supermega OK on SST. epic. played a great show.

Danzig blew them away. it was silly. i think Louder than Love is a great rock album. the Danzig drummer played standing up, standing on top of a paper mache horned skull straight out of spinal tap. they made you believe the cartoon. and they ROCKED. it was great.

cut the numbness and i come alive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYrbttzKcSo

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 08:44 PM
actually, it's the taxes that help push the price up to a certain degree. US oil is very undertaxed compared to a lot of other nations. Raising the tax on it and pushing the price of a gallon up would have a better long term impact on US consumption imho.

Oh, and I kinda like high oil prices. Frankly, it keeps me employed.
No ****, taxes play a role? Taxed or not, an increase in supply is going to reduce prices.

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 08:56 PM
Perhaps, but the higher prices are actually more of a benefit then lower prices. Not just for profits, but for also social and political reasons. Flooding the market with oil just ends up turning out bad.

However, I do agree that many many state owned oil companies need to change how they run.

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 09:00 PM
Perhaps, but the higher prices are actually more of a benefit then lower prices. Not just for profits, but for also social and political reasons. Flooding the market with oil just ends up turning out bad.

However, I do agree that many many state owned oil companies need to change how they run.
The social good of the high price really only benefits the people that can afford the high price. More supply doesn't have to mean flooded either, it's not an either or proposition.

olevetonahill
5/17/2007, 09:09 PM
The hell with Milatary Wars
Bring Back the Gas Wars
.19 cent a gallon :D :pop:

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 09:11 PM
i could be wrong, but i took 93 to mean something like the high prices might make people re-consider how they live as a social good. that, with the 3 buck a gallon ideological swindle i mention before.....is apparently not the case.

blame it on State owned oil, but the idea of oil companies as loyal to nation or "americans" is pretty hilarious. they are transnational, global market profit machines. and have been for a long time. it's an intra-class struggle for the Caspian Oil. not a nation-state one.

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 09:16 PM
i could be wrong, but i took 93 to mean something like the high prices might make people re-consider how they live as a social good. that, with the 3 buck a gallon ideological swindle i mention before.....is apparently not the case.

blame it on State owned oil, but the idea of oil companies as loyal to nation or "americans" is pretty hilarious. they are transnational, global market profit machines. and have been for a long time. it's an intra-class struggle for the Caspian Oil. not a nation-state one.
The problem with state oil is that it isn't profit oriented. When you don't put profits first, a business is usually run very poorly. Government's are notoriously poor at running companies.

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 09:19 PM
Short term social impact benefits only some, but it will eventually benefit others.

However, what you don't understand is that non state owned companies also work to limit production.

I understand it's not an either/or situation. But I don't think you understand how the game is played and how the oil industry works. You're trying to look at it from an oil company standpoint, but your viewpoint actually is that of a consumer since your main point seems to be increasing production to keep prices down.

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 09:20 PM
that's not the problem of state oil. the problem is all you have is a natural resource the most powerful nation and military in the world wants. screw profits, you have bargaining power and place in the world market.

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 09:21 PM
The problem with state oil is that it isn't profit oriented. When you don't put profits first, a business is usually run very poorly. Government's are notoriously poor at running companies.

actually, most state oil is profit oriented, included pemex. The problem lies that most state owned oil companies operate in 3rd world or developing coutries and frankly, too many people are sticking their hands in the cookie jar.

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 09:22 PM
limiting production and controlling price are not nation bound. like i say, there are no "patriotic" oil companies. which is why i thought this thread was funny in the first place. it's fun to believe it, and maybe get paid by one. but oil companies have no national loyalties.

olevetonahill
5/17/2007, 09:22 PM
that's not the problem of state oil. the problem is all you have is a natural resource the most powerful nation and military in the world wants. screw profits, you have bargaining power and place in the world market.
So your saying kick thierass and take thier Gas ?:cool:

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 09:26 PM
The geopolitical consequences of a state owned oil is quite different that if the oil were in private multinational hands. If the oil of Iran was controlled by private entities, rather than the government of Iran don't you think the Middle East dynamics would be quite different? The main issue with state oil is that government's neglect reinvestment in the business in order buy popularity.

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 09:27 PM
actually, most state oil is profit oriented, included pemex. The problem lies that most state owned oil companies operate in 3rd world or developing coutries and frankly, too many people are sticking their hands in the cookie jar.
That's the point I have been trying to make. While profit oriented in theory, they aren't in practice, and they aren't really accountable to anyone.

King Crimson
5/17/2007, 09:32 PM
of course it would be different. but, it's irrational to think that Iran should think like the american consumer. can you not see that if i am iran, i don;'t want to turn over my only resource to american/multinational controlled so-called "free market" forces. take yer pick.

we propped up the Shah in 1953? that was a joke. see how that went. luckily for many who post here, they can blame Jimmy Carter and strut like roosters about how great Reagan was. if another country installed a puppet leader, defender of the propertied class in the US....we'd dig that?

all i'm saying, is have a perspective.

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 09:37 PM
That's the point I have been trying to make. While profit oriented in theory, they aren't in practice, and they aren't really accountable to anyone.

ok, then what's your solution?