PDA

View Full Version : Use of middle name/middle intial

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 11:15 AM
Every thing I sign always includes my middle initial, and when asked for my full name, I always include my middle name. I also just use my first two initials on occasion. I am just curious about how much you other folk use your middle name/initial.

OUDoc
5/17/2007, 11:17 AM
Never, except my middle initial on my business cards and the sign out front. Sounds more professional that way.

StuIsTheMan
5/17/2007, 11:20 AM
I sign my middle initial...never say it...people always say "What"...it starts with M

TUSooner
5/17/2007, 11:22 AM
Never, except my middle initial on my business cards and the sign out front. Sounds more professional that way.

I sorta quit using my MI regularly when I got out of private practice; it might have been a cheap rebellion against "sounding professional." :twinkies:
But I always give my MI or middle name (Patrick) when asked, and I actually like my middle name a lot and used to want to be called Patrick all the time (when I was a kid).

yermom
5/17/2007, 11:24 AM
my dad had the same first name as me, but not the middle, so my mom calls me by my first and middle initials a lot (DJ)

i generally sign my name with the MI

OUDoc
5/17/2007, 11:26 AM
I sorta quit using my MI regularly when I got out of private practice; it might have been a cheap rebellion against "sounding professional." :twinkies:
But I always give my MI or middle name (Patrick) when asked, and I actually like my middle name a lot and used to want to be called Patrick all the time (when I was a kid).
I was the only one who didn't have them use my middle name or initial at graduation, and it sounded strange compared to everyone else. I never actually asked to have the MI used on the cards or the sign at my present job, they were there when I got here. But that's the route I would have gone anyway.
When I sign stuff, no MI or middle name.

OUDoc
5/17/2007, 11:33 AM
most boring thread ever
I thought you were dying.

royalfan5
5/17/2007, 11:34 AM
most boring thread ever
you must have missed some of my commodity price threads then. Those were way more boring. Or the ones where I talk about isoquants with Mike Rich, those were pretty damn boring too. In fact, I start lots of boring threads, and I find it hard to believe this is the most boring.:texan:

skycat
I sign my middle initial. My initials are the only legible part of my signature.

Chuck Bao
No middle name. My frugal German great, great, great grandparents thought it was too much of a luxury or possibly too pretentious to have a middle name. Maybe that's understandable as they had just left Europe and the European aristocracy with their 15 middle names and their endless wars behind when they emigrated to the US. The tradition stuck, so no middle name.

I don’t think I’m missing much, except when I’m supposed to fill out forms and include some middle initial.

jk the sooner fan
5/17/2007, 11:39 AM
my family called me by my middle name growing up, only when i joined the army did i start going by my first name.......its weird, i'll go home with mrs jk, everybody addresses me by my middle name except my wife

SteelClip49
5/17/2007, 11:40 AM
My pops goes by his first name all the time but on his business card, along with his law partner, who also goes by his middle name, lists the initial of the first name followed by the middle name and of course last name. I asked him why he did that and he said, "as lawyers we want to act professional on all levels and the business cards are one of them."

As for me, well, I am in my 6th and final year of college and I just go by my first and last name. I figure once I earn a REAL income and all that stuff, I can work my way up and just use my first two initials then last name.

mojo
5/17/2007, 11:43 AM
Its just habit for me to include my middle initial when signing my name. Started in the military, feels odd if I don't use my middle initial when signing something. Also date everything day/month/year, (17 May 07) instead of month/day/year.

OUDoc
5/17/2007, 11:43 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
http://www.usm.maine.edu/~mullett/pics/idiot.gif

Fraggle145
5/17/2007, 11:49 AM
I dont sign my name that way, actually I use Rich instead of Richard. My dads name and his dads name were both Richard, we just have different middle names. Richard has a lot of derivable forms though, So far we've had Dick (my G-pa), Richard (dad), and Rich (me). However, on my website, my published papers, and my curriculum vitae I use my middle initial.

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 11:50 AM
I'm called by both my first and middle names, which is a combined 5 syllables. Many of my friends just call me the 1st syllable of my first name for short.

JohnnyMack
5/17/2007, 11:51 AM
my dad had the same first name as me, but not the middle, so my mom calls me by my first and middle initials a lot (DJ)

i generally sign my name with the MI

Dick Jam?

IronSooner
5/17/2007, 11:53 AM
I only use my first name, and generally the shorter version of that.

Here's where it gets weird - in emails I sign my first and last name initials. However, in the lab, everything I write on I sign my first, middle, and last name initials. No idea why I do that. Nobody else has the same first and last initials as me.

Oldnslo
5/17/2007, 01:32 PM
I sign my full name to all legal documents, which for me is a boatload of documents. Never just the middle initial. I'm either Adam or Adam Scott. If you call asking for "Scott", we know you don't know.

Flagstaffsooner
5/17/2007, 01:41 PM
Not many people know that my middle name is Bea.
http://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/images/aunt_bee.jpg

My name therefore is Flagstaff BeA Sooner!

IronSooner
5/17/2007, 01:55 PM
Harry Truman had just the letter 'S' between his first and last name. How dumb was his Mom?

I was told in HS that it was technically incorrect to put a period after the "S" since his middle name was S, but apparently there are quite a few documents in which he signed his own name as Harry S. Truman, period included. Is it possible to write your own name wrong? ;)