PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones at the work place

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 11:04 AM
Please discuss. :)

StuIsTheMan
5/17/2007, 11:09 AM
Well when I am in the office and not at home I love mine...I turn up the volume on my BOOMER SOONER RING TONE! And have my wife call me like 10 times a day....There are alot of Duck fans there so I get alot of crap (33-34 seems to be the norm)...But I love it:D

Petro-Sooner
5/17/2007, 11:13 AM
I'm anti-cell phone. Not a fan at all.

Sooner in Tampa
5/17/2007, 11:14 AM
Not problem where I work...it is a secure facility that does not allow cell phones, pagers, or pda's!! I am glad that we don't have to worry about cell phones...hell, there are dadgum phones everywhere---why bother with a cell?

OUDoc
5/17/2007, 11:15 AM
We have signs up telling people to turn them off in the exam rooms.
No one ever does. :mad: One guy didn't even get off the phone when I came in to examine him.
Fortunately, we get crappy reception in here. I think it may be the lead-lined x-ray room.

VeeJay
5/17/2007, 11:25 AM
It doesn't bother me but in my office there's a policy of people not taking calls on their cell phones.

I don't understand why people get irritated by this. It's just another way of communicating.

sanantoniosooner
5/17/2007, 11:26 AM
It doesn't bother me but in my office there's a policy of people not taking calls on their cell phones.

I don't understand why people get irritated by this. It's just another way of communicating.
In the workplace I think it's because you should be working instead of yacking.

StuIsTheMan
5/17/2007, 11:28 AM
In the workplace I think it's because you should be working instead of yacking.

If that is the case then maybe I should'nt be on here:rolleyes:

skycat
5/17/2007, 11:31 AM
People around here use cell phones. Nobody cares.

(unless it's in a meeting, but nobody that I know talks on their cell phone in a meeting.)

sanantoniosooner
5/17/2007, 11:35 AM
If that is the case then maybe I should'nt be on here:rolleyes:
combine your internet time with your cellular time and you probably get a good 5 hours of work done a day :D

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 11:36 AM
If someone makes $15.00 an hour, talks on their cell phone approximately 30 minutes a day, while on the clock, 4 days a week, but has a 2 week paid vacation, how much is the cell phone usage costing the business owner annually? :popcorn:

StuIsTheMan
5/17/2007, 11:38 AM
combine your internet time with your cellular time and you probably get a good 5 hours of work done a day :D

more like 15 minutes...just ask the Bob's

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/3930/bobsui0.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

SteelClip49
5/17/2007, 11:48 AM
When I was working at the Athletic Cafeteria across from the stadium, cell phone usage was prohibited, which was understandable. Especially diring two-a-days, if any of us was on the cell, we were in deep doo-doo. I wasn't but some of my lazy co-workers were and they got a deduct in pay. I figure there would be more leeway in the professional world but then again it just depends what kind of work you are in. When there is a sign that says no cell phones in the emergency room of the hospital, IT MEANS WHAT IT SAYS. The dumbass side of me never saw the sign and made a call and 4 receptionists came up to me and told me to get off NOW.

Vaevictis
5/17/2007, 11:54 AM
If someone makes $15.00 an hour, talks on their cell phone approximately 30 minutes a day, while on the clock, 4 days a week, but has a 2 week paid vacation, how much is the cell phone usage costing the business owner annually? :popcorn:

.5*15*4*50=1500

Right? :P

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 11:57 AM
.5*15*4*50=1500

Right? :P
I don't know. :D
Who's got a calculator? ;)

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 11:59 AM
I used my computer calculator. It is $1500.00. Thats a whole lota dough, when its coming out of your own pocket. :eek:

Vaevictis
5/17/2007, 12:07 PM
I think the way I would deal with it is:
1. If you're on clock, no cell phones. If you get caught on the clock with a cell phone, bad news for you. Clock out and go home.
2. You may clock out at any time.
3. You may not clock back in for fifteen minutes after clocking out. In any case, no clock in will be honored until the fifteen minutes have elapsed.

mdklatt
5/17/2007, 12:09 PM
I don't know. :D
Who's got a calculator? ;)

Hold on, my cell phone has one....

TheHumanAlphabet
5/17/2007, 12:12 PM
I'm normally against cell phones in the office and in meetings, but in Stu's case, I'll give it a pass. Stu, you're great!!!

BTW, cell phones with digital cameras are banned at my place of employ. They say you're supposed to disable the digital camera. How?

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 12:15 PM
The argument I get about my 'No cell calls when you are on the clock' rule is..."Whats if its an emergency?"

Vaevictis
5/17/2007, 12:16 PM
The argument I get about my 'No cell calls when you are on the clock' rule is..."Whats if its an emergency?"

Then clock out and call them back.

And don't clock back in for fifteen minutes. That should cost this person about $4 a call.

The key is, if it's costing them $4 to take a call, they're going to be more conscientious about taking them. Eventually, they'll start ripping people new *******s when they call and it's not an emergency. :D

sooner_born_1960
5/17/2007, 12:20 PM
Most people who want to call me at work just dial my desk number.

sooner_born_1960
5/17/2007, 12:22 PM
Mama, I know you're the boss and all, but do you take personal calls at work? Kitchen remodeler, plumber, etc?

Petro-Sooner
5/17/2007, 12:28 PM
Use the cell phone while you at work = lose your job. PERIOD Problem solved.

Vaevictis
5/17/2007, 12:30 PM

Usually, it's not that simple. If the person is otherwise a good employee, firing them is probably not the best solution, because after firing them, you have to play the game of craps that is hiring a new person.

Hitting them in the pocket book like I described yielded good results for me in the past. As I said, if it's costing them a quarter hour's wages to take a phone call, most people start insisting that their friends/family call them only in an emergency. :D

sooner_born_1960
5/17/2007, 12:33 PM
If said employees are getting their work done, and aren't logging overtime to do it, it really isn't costing you anything. You were going to pay them to be there anyway.

mdklatt
5/17/2007, 12:48 PM

It's almost never an emergency. To quote George Costanza, there are only three emergencies going on in the entire world right now. 99.99999% of all cell phone conversations are completely inane. Make it clear that an "emergency" is only something for which the employee will have to leave work immediately (and not get paid, of course).

rufnek05
5/17/2007, 12:50 PM
i talk on my cell all the time at work, but i work in a gas station from 7-2am. but it does get really annoying when people come in on their cell phones and just point at the cig's like i'm going to know which ones they want. thats just when i sit there and look at them like they are a ****ing idiot, or get up and just walk away untill they are done with their cell phone conversation.

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 01:24 PM
Mama, I know you're the boss and all, but do you take personal calls at work? Kitchen remodeler, plumber, etc?Yes I do. Why do you ask? :)

sooner_born_1960
5/17/2007, 01:28 PM
Yes I do. Why do you ask? :)
Because I was going to call you, of course.

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 01:36 PM
If said employees are getting their work done, and aren't logging overtime to do it, it really isn't costing you anything. You were going to pay them to be there anyway.We never get caught up. There is always something to do.

Because I was going to call you, of course.
How nice. You go right ahead and do that since the time I spend on the phone doesn't cost me a dime. ;)

Turd_Ferguson
5/17/2007, 01:46 PM
I use the cell all day long, it's part of my job. Lucky for me I invented a hands free kit. I sold it to this guy for 39.99.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/953/photomc6.jpg

VeeJay
5/17/2007, 02:31 PM
It seems like the conversation here is about personal use of cell phones. This should be a no-no unless it's a family emergency. Getting a return call on a cell phone about a hair and nail appointment or what time you're meeting your buds at the golf course should be off limits.

In terms of business calls, and we use cell phones a lot for business, it's another way of communicating.

StoopTroup
5/17/2007, 03:30 PM
Nothing because if I didn't work the 10 hours a day he expects from me for the 8 hours of pay I get...he'd fire me. :D

TheUnnamedSooner
5/17/2007, 06:11 PM
If someone works in an area where customers go, then cell phones should not be tolerated. Doesn't matter what the situation is, the customer will always assume it is a personal call.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/17/2007, 06:32 PM
Man, cell phone Nazi city....

Depends on the work environment/culture/job. All of those things allow it within reason at my work. In fact from people in lower grade level jobs than mine up to my boss's boss, I don't know anyone that I haven't seen on their cell. But, I also have not seen or heard anyone burning up the airwaves either. Everyone seems to use them appropriately... for my work... that is infrequent, short, quiet conversations.

Though I do agree, if you are working in a heavy customer contact area...cell phones are a no-no.

Vaevictis
5/17/2007, 06:51 PM
Man, cell phone Nazi city....

C'mon, 30 minutes a day every day is way excessive for an hourly position. I'd feel differently if this person was salaried, but if you're a clocked employee, you really ought to be working in some fashion the entire time you're on the clock.

trwxxa
5/17/2007, 07:10 PM
Don't have a problem in the office, as long as the work gets done.

Where I do have a problem are those that leave the office, walk to their vehicle, get in the vehicle, get on the cell phone and then try to navigate through a multi level parking garage on their way home, to lunch etc.. More close calls, no pun intended, than I can recall.

oklaclarinet
5/17/2007, 07:19 PM
Cell phones are generally discouraged where I work, because it sets a bad example for teachers to answer the phone in the middle of class when students aren't supposed to have them. However, my fellow director and I use them to communicate whenever he is running an errand over to the admin building or I am over at the other school, because sometimes we have to take care of important business, and that is the only way to reach each other.

Also, the school never gave me a long distance code, so if I ever have to call somewhere not in town, I have to use my cell.

oumartin
5/17/2007, 07:26 PM
problem is you are only paying them 15.00 an hour. thats just barely above poverty. the least you can do is let them use their cell phone!

olevetonahill
5/17/2007, 07:29 PM
Its simple
If your getting paid by the hour . and You aint working the full Hr then your stealing .

Blue
5/17/2007, 07:35 PM
See how long you keep good employees around by being a penny-pinching boss.

oumartin
5/17/2007, 07:42 PM
bad thing. with Mutual of Omaha shutting down women will be standing in line for a chance to work at any office in Mamas town

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 07:55 PM
well, they get 30 minutes of break a day by law don't they?

they just happen to use it on their cell phones.

I've worked places they were allowed, and once I became a supervisor, the rules slacked up.

Where I worked now, well ****, the company provided them to us. The rule is, no talking on it while driving in the yard and it discouraged while driving other places. That's the only rule.

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 08:54 PM
See how long you keep good employees around by being a penny-pinching boss."penny-pinching, huh"? You calling me a penny pincher? :cool:

So, Mr. Big Spender, hows about you cut me a check for $1500.00, since thats nothing but pennies to you, and I'll let her talk on her cell phone a couple of hours a week in your honor? Until I see your check in the mail, I'll keep on thinking you're full of ****. Capite?

olevetonahill
5/17/2007, 08:58 PM
Its simple
If your getting paid by the hour . and You aint working the full Hr then your stealing .
What part of that statement was Hard to understand ? :confused:

Blue
5/17/2007, 09:40 PM
"penny-pinching, huh"? You calling me a penny pincher? :cool:

So, Mr. Big Spender, hows about you cut me a check for $1500.00, since thats nothing but pennies to you, and I'll let her talk on her cell a couple of hours a week in your honor? Until I see your check in the mail, I'll keep on thinking your full of ****. :)

Why don't you add up all the time she's taking a ****, blinking, and breathing.

Does she get the job done to your satisfaction? That should be your only question. Otherwise you're nitpicking.

Frozen Sooner
5/17/2007, 09:49 PM
They're essential in my job, which also happens to be high customer-contact. There is almost no other way for someone to get in touch with me quickly.

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 09:52 PM
ah, but what about the tellers?

soonerboomer93
5/17/2007, 09:56 PM
Why don't you add up all the time she's taking a ****, blinking, and breathing.

Does she get the job done to your satisfaction? That should be your only question. Otherwise you're nitpicking.

actually, not really. There no law that says she has to allow a cell phone/personal calls at work. If she chooses to request that they not used (outside of break times) then that is perfectly reasonable.

Blue
5/17/2007, 10:11 PM
actually, not really. There no law that says she has to allow a cell phone/personal calls at work. If she chooses to request that they not used (outside of break times) then that is perfectly reasonable.

It's reasonable for her business, yes.

Like I said, if you're unhappy w/ her performance overall, can her. If not, why bitch about cell phone calls(probably 2-5 minutes apiece, 10 times daily)?

That's just a controlling supervisor if you ask me.

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 10:27 PM
Wow, USA Today reported that 30 percent of employees cited cell phones ringing while they were working as their No. 1 pet peeve at the office. The percentage of employers has to be even higher. This research was done a year ago. I would guess that its got to be much higher by now.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/20/technology/personaltech/cellphones_work/index.htm

Even The Donald hates it. :D

http://www.trumpuniversity.com/blog/index.cfm?blogpost_id=742

I don't feel comfortable with cameras in my clinic either, and all the phones have them nowadays. I want our patients to feel comfortable. I have never been in any clinic of any kind, where there was some gal behind the desk talking on her cell phone. I hope I never will.

Blue
5/17/2007, 10:31 PM
BTW, I heard what it was like working for Mama...

http://www.bullyinginstitute.org/press/images/bhambully.gif

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 10:31 PM

Like I said, if you're unhappy w/ her performance overall, can her. If not, why bitch about cell phone calls(probably 2-5 minutes apiece, 10 times daily)?

That's just a controlling supervisor if you ask me.Oh, I see what your problem is now. You have issues with respecting authority.

My husband and I own that clinic. Who in the hell do you think ought to be in control?

Blue
5/17/2007, 10:33 PM
And btw, Mama..I would say in a clinic, for a secretary, at her desk, in front of the customers, no way should she be talking on a phone.

Blue
5/17/2007, 10:36 PM
Oh, I see what your problem is now. You have issues with respecting authority.

My husband and I own that clinic. Who in the hell do you think ought to be in control?

You, of course. BUT find someone you like and trust to work for you. How is that hard to understand? Good employee> Bad employee. If you want to find faults w/ every employee, you'll never find a good one.

Blue
5/17/2007, 10:37 PM
Oh, I see what your problem is now. You have issues with respecting authority.

I guess I do. If respecting authority means working for a control freak, count me as one who's glad he works for himself.

Frozen Sooner
5/17/2007, 10:42 PM
ah, but what about the tellers?

What about them? It's honestly never come up.

MamaMia
5/17/2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for all of your opinions guys. My cousin is here visiting. Shes the manager at her husbands clinic as well and is just now having to deal with this. We were pretty much on the same page but wanted your views.

I haven't had a cell phone usage problem for quite some time because, as some of you may remember, I banned them in the clinic ages ago. Who wouldn't like to talk on the phone and get paid for it, but luckily my employees are great and they're fine with it. :)

sooner_born_1960
5/17/2007, 11:36 PM
I feel so used.

olevetonahill
5/17/2007, 11:40 PM

That's just a controlling supervisor if you ask me.
By your analogy Blue, A, 5 min call 10 times a day = shes STOLEN 15 bucks from her employer
How is that hard to under stand ?
Some one steals from me Daily Im gonna Be a controllin Boss .
just sayin
Some one else do the Math

oumartin
5/17/2007, 11:43 PM
we are required to carry cell phones for work and I always have mine on vibrate in my pocket and make my wife & g/f call me over and over and it makes me feel all funny in my pants! :D

olevetonahill
5/17/2007, 11:48 PM
we are required to carry cell phones for work and I always have mine on vibrate in my pocket and make my wife & g/f call me over and over and it makes me feel all funny in my pants! :D
You Perv thats differant
:D
course Mines On vibrate also to :D :D :D :D

Blue
5/18/2007, 12:30 AM
By your analogy Blue, A, 5 min call 10 times a day = shes STOLEN 15 bucks from her employer
How is that hard to under stand ?
Some one steals from me Daily Im gonna Be a controllin Boss .
just sayin
Some one else do the Math

I was thinking "cubicle", but I can see "secretary." No secretary in public view should be talking on the phone. I'm in a line of work where my cell is my lifeline. I get more done on it in 30 minutes than I would a day behind a desk.

olevetonahill
5/18/2007, 01:03 AM
I was thinking "cubicle", but I can see "secretary." No secretary in public view should be talking on the phone. I'm in a line of work where my cell is my lifeline. I get more done on it in 30 minutes than I would a day behind a desk.
Thank Ya
My point Is and was . If Ya aint doing the work Ya paid to do then your thievin !:cool:

Penguin
5/18/2007, 03:55 AM
Believe it or not, people have lives outside of work. 30 minutes a day? Good God! They must have friends or family or something! How dare they!!!!

I say only allow 10.45272543 minutes per day. If they go over by one millisecond, I say shoot them.

MamaMia
5/18/2007, 07:51 AM
Believe it or not, people have lives outside of work. 30 minutes a day? Good God! They must have friends or family or something! How dare they!!!!

I say only allow 10.45272543 minutes per day. If they go over by one millisecond, I say shoot them. Using your logic, it would be okay then for an employer to ask their employees to come in after dinner for a half and hour every night to check the answering machine and return calls or whatever, for free? After all, believe it or not, people do have jobs outside their personal life. :)

Scott D
5/18/2007, 07:57 AM

Yeah..let's see. I have a job that has me out of the office virtually all of the time. My position is supervisory, so I may have to field calls from employees, or my supervisors while I'm on location. I can see how your policy works sooooo well in that regard.

sanantoniosooner
5/18/2007, 08:05 AM
I think the ignored consensus is that it depends on your job.

Mjcpr
5/18/2007, 08:20 AM
What if you're a cell phone salesman? Then what?

1stTimeCaller
5/18/2007, 08:29 AM
What about me? I'm either taking a nap, watching TV, playing Playstation, on the phone, bothering you people, fixing and eating a meal or using the bathroom a solid 11 hours of my 12 hour shift?

MamaMia
5/18/2007, 09:34 AM
BTW, I heard what it was like working for Mama...
Blue, I had a real good reason to terminate the employment of your friend. I'm not about to discuss this with you and especially not on a message board. You really need to get over it. :)