PDA

View Full Version : Greeting from Orlando...

goingoneight
5/16/2007, 10:10 PM
I know, I know... some people here may live at or have been before, but dammit I'm having a blast! :D

Hit up Disney World, Wonder Works, Daytona and Universal Studios so far... and Saturday hasn't arrived yet!

BajaOklahoma
5/16/2007, 10:16 PM
Have you been to the fish farm? That would be the high point of my trip to Orlando.

Seriously.

OUinFLA
5/16/2007, 10:19 PM
Have you been to the fish farm? That would be the high point of my trip to Orlando.

Seriously.

send me a PM eight, and I can arrange this.

Tailwind
5/16/2007, 10:58 PM
How fun for you! Be safe.

noleamite
5/17/2007, 12:14 AM
Recommend going out to Cape Canaveral...50 minute drive from Orlando definitely worth the trip.

If your trying to go out for a drink Blue Martini is the place to be on a Friday night.

Have fun and be careful of the terrible driving British tourist! :D

SicEmBaylor
5/17/2007, 12:15 AM
Skip the Small World ride. YWIA

AllAboutThe'O'
5/17/2007, 12:33 AM
I know, I know... some people here may live at or have been before, but dammit I'm having a blast! :D

Hit up Disney World, Wonder Works, Daytona and Universal Studios so far... and Saturday hasn't arrived yet!

Any chance of you going to the Disney World baseball complex to see the Rangers-Devil Rays series (last game is Thursday night)? Then again, the way the Rangers are playing, you may just be better off not going.

Sooner in Tampa
5/17/2007, 05:34 AM
Welcome to greatest state in the union...home of OUinFLA and I!!! Orlando is CRAZY...I avoid it at all cost, but like you said, I live here. You should head west and have beers in Ybor (be out by 11pm) and maybe would could arrange a impromtu SF.com get together.

oklaclarinet
5/17/2007, 06:44 AM
Skip the Small World ride. YWIA

Ah, come on. It may be cheesy as all get out, but it is one of the quintessential rides at Magic Kingdom. No trip to Disney World is complete without it.

picasso
5/17/2007, 08:47 AM
Downtown Disney is cool. If you have a lot of money it's even cooler.

OUinFLA
5/17/2007, 08:52 AM
Welcome to greatest state in the union...home of OUinFLA and I!!! Orlando is CRAZY...I avoid it at all cost, but like you said, I live here. You should head west and have beers in Ybor (be out by 11pm) and maybe would could arrange a impromtu SF.com get together.

IN !

OUinFLA
5/17/2007, 08:53 AM
Ah, come on. It may be cheesy as all get out, but it is one of the quintessential rides at Magic Kingdom. No trip to Disney World is complete without it.

FYI: Expect to have the theme song rattling around your head for a few weeks afterwards.

goingoneight
5/17/2007, 08:13 PM
I hit up Epcot (spelling???) tomorrow and playing 18 on the course at the resort. Thanks for the advice, though. Don't ever let any stupid whorns tell you Texas is the greatest state anymore. I've now been to three that pwn Tejas top-to-bottom. :D And I don't travel much.

Speaking of Florida, there's not a whole lot of Gator love going on considering they just took two MNC's and all. One, maybe two Gator fans in all the 320 miles I've been around so far.

oklaclarinet
5/17/2007, 09:18 PM
Make sure to ride both Test Track and Mission: Space at EPCOT. And when you ride Mission: Space, if you choose the intense version, make sure you don't easily get motion sickness. It is the first theme park ride to have barf bags!

def_lazer_fc
5/17/2007, 09:24 PM
Speaking of Florida, there's not a whole lot of Gator love going on considering they just took two MNC's and all. One, maybe two Gator fans in all the 320 miles I've been around so far.

to be fair, gainesville is a minute from orlando. and unlike states like, lets say oklahoma, there are plenty of sports teams, college, and more likely pro, to latch onto. so it should come as no surprise.

def_lazer_fc
5/17/2007, 09:25 PM
Make sure to ride both Test Track and Mission: Space at EPCOT. And when you ride Mission: Space, if you choose the intense version, make sure you don't easily get motion sickness. It is the first theme park ride to have barf bags!
barf bags = a fun time had by all.

Mjcpr
5/18/2007, 07:45 AM
I hit up Epcot (spelling???) tomorrow and playing 18 on the course at the resort. Thanks for the advice, though. Don't ever let any stupid whorns tell you Texas is the greatest state anymore. I've now been to three that pwn Tejas top-to-bottom. :D And I don't travel much.

Which course?

If you're an Okie hillbilly, bring plenty of gloves. Not even Oklahoma humidity can prepare you for what they have down there. Holy moly. My glove was ringing wet before I hit a single shot; courses were nice though....and like all things Disney, not cheap. :)

Of course since it no longer rains in Florida, they may not have humidity anymore, I don't know.

OUinFLA
5/18/2007, 08:06 AM
Of course since it no longer rains in Florida, they may not have humidity anymore, I don't know.

Werd.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

soonerinabilene
5/18/2007, 08:57 AM
Definitely watch the fireworks at epcot. They are incredible. For those who know: I am starting to plan a vacation there, and need to choose where to go for the 5 days im there. Got a little girl, so magic kingdom is obviously day one. ive been to epcot, typhoon lagoon, and universal islands of adventure. The hulk is the best ride ive ever been on, so we are going back there. Which is better: mgm, animal kingdom, blizzard beach? any tips would be appreciated.

oklaclarinet
5/18/2007, 04:11 PM
Definitely watch the fireworks at epcot. They are incredible. For those who know: I am starting to plan a vacation there, and need to choose where to go for the 5 days im there. Got a little girl, so magic kingdom is obviously day one. ive been to epcot, typhoon lagoon, and universal islands of adventure. The hulk is the best ride ive ever been on, so we are going back there. Which is better: mgm, animal kingdom, blizzard beach? any tips would be appreciated.

MGM and Animal Kingdom both have some unique things. At MGM, you get the Rockin Roller Coaster and the Tower of Terror, both great rides. The shows there will be entertaining for a little girl, plus the Indiana Jones show is fun for all ages.

Animal Kingdom has been built up a little more recently, but there still aren't many rides. However, the Dinosaur USA section does have some climbing area stuff and is very suited to kids. A bunch of Animal Kingdom is like a zoo, hence the name.

Blizzard Beach is just like any other water park. I've only been there once, and I'm not a huge water park fan anyway, so I would say avoid it. But if you really like water parks, you might like it.

So of the three, I'd say go with MGM. However, if you have a park hopper pass, you could start the day at Animal Kingdom just to ride the new Everest roller coaster before heading over to MGM (which is what I did over Spring Break).

OUinFLA
5/18/2007, 04:52 PM
To those of you planning a visit to Disney World, all the theme parks are fun in that area; however, an hour drive west to Tampa and a day at Busch Gardens is hands down better than any of the parks in Orlando.

It took me a couple of years to convence my daughter an grandkids to spend the day there, and now that is the first and second and last place they want to go when down here.

If you are only in the Orlando area for 3 days, it's kinda hard to work in, but if you are there for 5, it is worth the drive.