PDA

View Full Version : Getting a passport

achiro
5/16/2007, 10:04 AM
I've never had one, thinkin I might go someplace someday that may require one. ;) Do I have to go to some place in OKC to get one or can it all be done via mail? Does anyone know some dude named Vinny that makes them in his basement?

mdklatt
5/16/2007, 10:12 AM
Do I have to go to some place in OKC to get one or can it all be done via mail?

You apply in person at the post office, and a few weeks later you get it in the mail. You can get the applications online. You'll need to bring a passport photo, but you can get those done at a lot of places.

Boomer.....
5/16/2007, 10:16 AM
I am pretty sure that all of the post offices can take your picture for the passport, but it is around $15. I would just have them take it there, because I tried to go the cheap route and get it taken at a Kinko's and they messed up the size. The passport requirements for pictures are strict.

skycat
5/16/2007, 10:27 AM
My dad has been trying to get one recently. Apparently new passport requirements have led to a glut of requests. If you're getting one soon, expect a signifigant delay before it shows up.

Boomer.....
5/16/2007, 10:39 AM
Yeah, they are backed up since the new law. I applied for mine in January and didn't get it for 3 months.

soonerbrat
5/16/2007, 10:50 AM
I've never had one, thinkin I might go someplace someday that may require one. ;) Do I have to go to some place in OKC to get one or can it all be done via mail? Does anyone know some dude named Vinny that makes them in his basement?

you live in tulsa, right?

if you were in OKC you could go to the downtown post office and they do everything for you including the pictures.

when are you going on a trip? it takes a LONG time to get them now..about 12 weeks. I got mine in 7 days but it cost about $100 extra and it was 2 years ago before they were required to get back from Mexico

Boarder
5/16/2007, 11:21 AM
I sell a lot of hitches for them. I suppose as far as a small SUV they're ok. I'll look around at all the choices before buying, though.

SoonerAcesUp
5/31/2007, 10:51 AM
Leaving for Mexico on June 10th and applied for my passport back in March and still haven't received mine. I can't get through on the phone b/c they are too busy and we've contacted our U.S. representative and seem to be getting nowhere. The Passport agency also hasn't replied to my emails so I'm wondering what I can do next. Anybody know any other avenues?

Petro-Sooner
5/31/2007, 10:54 AM
bomb threat. Then they should listen. YWIA

achiro
5/31/2007, 11:00 AM
Leaving for Mexico on June 10th and applied for my passport back in March and still haven't received mine. I can't get through on the phone b/c they are too busy and we've contacted our U.S. representative and seem to be getting nowhere. The Passport agency also hasn't replied to my emails so I'm wondering what I can do next. Anybody know any other avenues?
This is exactly why I have been thinking about getting one now. I have no plans as of yet but since I tend to make plans on the fly, I'd like to at least have this part covered.
I hope you get taken care of pretty quick.:eek:

SoonerAcesUp
5/31/2007, 11:07 AM
OH! Now I'm really ****ed off. I finally get through to the agency on the phone and the lady tells me the system is down and can I call back in thirty minutes!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah I can call back but I probably won't be able to get through again!! Jerks!!!

soonerbrat
5/31/2007, 11:10 AM
that is not good. should've done fast track. right now it takes a MINIMUM of 12 weeks to get them back.

if you can ever get through to them and show them your itinerary, they may process it faster.

SoonerAcesUp
5/31/2007, 11:16 AM
that is not good. should've done fast track. right now it takes a MINIMUM of 12 weeks to get them back.

if you can ever get through to them and show them your itinerary, they may process it faster.

Yeah when we sent them off the processing time was not 12 weeks so we thought we would be just fine and the expedite fee is $100 each so I didn't want to fork over a total of $400 for me and my wife's passports. I've seen the passports and there is no way they should charge what they do to create one.

skycat
5/31/2007, 11:18 AM
My parents are going to Peru on June 10. My dad applied for his passport a few months back, but hasn't gotten it yet. If he doesn't get it in the next day or two, he's been told that there's a good chance that he can fly to Denver (on his own dime of course) to expedite the process somehow.

So he's got that going for him.

Mjcpr
5/31/2007, 11:19 AM
My parents are going to Peru on June 10. My dad applied for his passport a few months back, but hasn't gotten it yet. If he doesn't get it in the next day or two, he's been told that there's a good chance that he can fly to Denver (on his own dime of course) to expedite the process somehow.

So he's got that going for him.

Man, what I wouldn't give for a flying dime.

Okla-homey
5/31/2007, 11:34 AM
There is great wisdom in applying for a passport before you need one. Nothing like being at the mercy of a State Department bureaucracy that has heard every sob story imaginable.

I bet they have a sign above each desk that states: "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute a crisis on my part.";)

Petro-Sooner
5/31/2007, 11:42 AM
How long is a passport valid? What does one set ya back? Is it easier to renew a passport once you have one?

skycat
5/31/2007, 11:45 AM
Man, what I wouldn't give for a flying dime.

Get yourself a dime, and a really tall building.

Tell me how it goes.

SoonerAcesUp
5/31/2007, 11:52 AM
There is great wisdom in applying for a passport before you need one. Nothing like being at the mercy of a State Department bureaucracy that has heard every sob story imaginable.

I bet they have a sign above each desk that states: "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute a crisis on my part.";)

When they have a posted processing time and it's been well over that time then I say I did my part as far as planning and they are not doing their part in completing my passport in the amount of time they are supposed to. This is only my second trip out of the country and last year I used my birth certificate as means of identification so the thought of getting a passport only came up due to the new law.

GrapevineSooner
5/31/2007, 11:57 AM
You apply in person at the post office, and a few weeks later you get it in the mail. You can get the applications online. You'll need to bring a passport photo, but you can get those done at a lot of places.

If by 'a few weeks' you mean several months due to the backlog, you're right. ;)

Took my mom about three months to get her's so she could see my nephew in Australia.

Hamhock
5/31/2007, 12:03 PM
shirley, you know a good desktop publisher guy.

i bet czar could hook you up.

soonerbrat
5/31/2007, 12:12 PM
How long is a passport valid? What does one set ya back? Is it easier to renew a passport once you have one?

they are valid for 10 years.

Routine Services (Form DS-11)
Non-Refundable

Age 16 and older: The passport application fee is $67. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97 .

Under Age 16: The passport application fee is $52. The execution fee is $30. The total is $82 .

The passport application fee includes the $12.00 Security Surcharge, which became effective March 8, 2005.

for about $75-100 more, you can rush your passport. I got mine in 7 days (7 actual days, not 7 business days) and I think the total cost was about $160. I did it at the post office, and they overnighted it there, and put an overnight return envelope in there.

For kids under either 12 or 14, you have to have both parents' signatures - so they both have to be there, or one of them has to get a permission form notarized

King Crimson
5/31/2007, 12:31 PM
you can't complain about getting a passport and get hog wild about protecting national security at the same time.

send the stuff in early and it's easy.

soonerbrat
5/31/2007, 12:36 PM
you can't complain about getting a passport and get hog wild about protecting national security at the same time.

send the stuff in early and it's easy.

not every trip is planned a long time in advance though...my mom asked me a couple years ago in mid april if i wanted to go to italy the first week of june..i barely had 6 weeks to get ready to go and my passport was expired..there's no way I would've gotten it back in time without the rush

soonerbrat
5/31/2007, 12:38 PM
so...i'm thinking achiro has the right idea. get your passport before you need it "just in case"

King Crimson
5/31/2007, 12:39 PM
so...i'm thinking achiro has the right idea. get your passport before you need it "just in case"

that's what i'm sayin. just get one.

Mjcpr
5/31/2007, 12:40 PM
Rachel Ray got hers in an hour and a half.

King Crimson
5/31/2007, 12:43 PM
Rachel Ray got hers in an hour and a half.

only because she was inventing sourdough bread (only the good kind), garlic, roma tomatoes and lemons at the same time on the 4th day

was a freebie time-wise otherway.

goodonya
5/31/2007, 01:41 PM
soonerbrat's data is dead on. I've had a passport for the last 40+years. I had my wife get one right after we were married 20+ years ago and we get our kids' pp's at 1-year. The ****er is that the juvenile pp's only last a couple of years and must be renewed. Because we leave the country each March we learned that if you don't have them in the works by XMAS you're screwed. I am a big proponent of paying for the fast tracking.

Also, I advise that you go to the most remote post office that handles pp's at opening time on a Wednesday morning with a book and a game boy or whatever for the kids. Food & water are handy as you cannot get back into line if you leave. If you've got bigger (kids that drive) you can easily send them on a food run.

Good luck.

soonerbrat
5/31/2007, 01:48 PM
soonerbrat's data is dead on. I've had a passport for the last 40+years. I had my wife get one right after we were married 20+ years ago and we get our kids' pp's at 1-year. The ****er is that the juvenile pp's only last a couple of years and must be renewed. Because we leave the country each March we learned that if you don't have them in the works by XMAS you're screwed. I am a big proponent of paying for the fast tracking.

Also, I advise that you go to the most remote post office that handles pp's at opening time on a Wednesday morning with a book and a game boy or whatever for the kids. Food & water are handy as you cannot get back into line if you leave. If you've got bigger (kids that drive) you can easily send them on a food run.

Good luck.

the downtown post office here in OKC (across the street from the Bombing Memorial) will take your picture and send in your paperwork and everything. You can also go to the courthouse on the 2nd floor, i believe, and get them pretty quickly there...my mom did fast track and got hers in about 2 weeks (but that was 2 years ago)

proud gonzo
5/31/2007, 03:19 PM
I am pretty sure that all of the post offices can take your picture for the passport, but it is around $15. I would just have them take it there, because I tried to go the cheap route and get it taken at a Kinko's and they messed up the size. The passport requirements for pictures are strict.go to any walgreens--$8 or so. And t hey're probably more backed up now than used to, because you now need a passport to travel to Mexico or Canada.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/31/2007, 03:30 PM
I applied for mine in March and still haven't gotten it. I'm not worried yet because I don't leave til the end of July.

Be careful going to a Walgreen's/CVS because they jacked up the color on mine and the passport folks almost didn't accept it.

BU BEAR
5/31/2007, 03:32 PM
If you do not already have your certified birth certificate (it has to be certified, not just a copy or what the hospital issues), you can tack another 2-4 weeks to the wait time.

soonerbrat
5/31/2007, 03:39 PM
just to be safe, I would let them take the picture at the post office. it might cost a couple dollars more, but worth it. Also, when the guy took my picture, she told me not to smile because it distorts your face and sometimes the passport office won't accept it.

not all post offices take pictures ..the only one I know that does it here is the downtown one. and if you go to the downtown one in OKC, don't go on tuesdays as that is the day the new citizens (i.e. immigrants) get theirs done and the line is LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG

soonerbrat
5/31/2007, 03:40 PM
If you do not already have your certified birth certificate (it has to be certified, not just a copy or what the hospital issues), you can tack another 2-4 weeks to the wait time.

if you need a certified copy of your birth certificate (or anyone else's for that matter as they are public record) ..in oklahoma you can go to the health department on SL Young and pay $5 and wait about 30 minutes and get it.

BU BEAR
5/31/2007, 03:56 PM
if you need a certified copy of your birth certificate (or anyone else's for that matter as they are public record) ..in oklahoma you can go to the health department on SL Young and pay $5 and wait about 30 minutes and get it.

Nice. Better method than Texas.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/31/2007, 04:41 PM
Nice. Better method than Texas.I ordered mine online from Florida. Took about 10 days.

proud gonzo
5/31/2007, 04:58 PM
just to be safe, I would let them take the picture at the post office. it might cost a couple dollars more, but worth it. Also, when the guy took my picture, she told me not to smile because it distorts your face and sometimes the passport office won't accept it.

not all post offices take pictures ..the only one I know that does it here is the downtown one. and if you go to the downtown one in OKC, don't go on tuesdays as that is the day the new citizens (i.e. immigrants) get theirs done and the line is LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGweird--i've never had a problem with walgreens or with smiling in my passport photo. both passports i've had were smiley bad pictures and nobody's cared at all.

SoonerAcesUp
5/31/2007, 05:09 PM
Never have been able to get through again to the Passport agency!:mad: :mad: :mad: How in the world are you supposed to get through to these stupid people!!!????:confused: :confused:

BU BEAR
5/31/2007, 05:15 PM
Never have been able to get through again to the Passport agency!:mad: :mad: :mad: How in the world are you supposed to get through to these stupid people!!!????:confused: :confused:

i was never able to get through either.

"Government is the problem."--- Ronald Reagan

Blue
5/31/2007, 05:16 PM
Got mine at a "Passports and Visas etc." All they needed was a letter from my boss saying it was, "all of the sudden." Fast track-10 days. They handle it all for you, walk over to the post office and get it verifyed. Not an ordeal.

soonerboomer93
5/31/2007, 06:11 PM
when I had to get mine in september, I went to the passport office in Denver, dropped off the info on friday, picked up on Wednesday (could have picked up on tuesday but I was busy)

My bigger problem was I didn't get my passport back from getting my work visa until about 3 hours before my flight. Fedex had shipped it wrong, and I had to pick up from the depot at 8 am and head straight to the airport.

SoonerAcesUp
6/8/2007, 01:14 PM
Still haven't received my passport and we leave tomorrow for Playa del Carmen. But Congress finally does something right and relaxed the passport rules until September. So now I'm just crossing my fingers that we won't have any problems at the airport since they've relaxed the rules.

Petro-Sooner
6/8/2007, 01:19 PM
I think I heard that you at least have to have a copy of something saying you have at least applied for the passport.

RiddlerOK
6/8/2007, 01:46 PM
I am pretty sure that all of the post offices can take your picture for the passport, but it is around $15. I would just have them take it there, because I tried to go the cheap route and get it taken at a Kinko's and they messed up the size. The passport requirements for pictures are strict.

I agree. When I went through the drill last year, my pictures would have been cheaper at the post office instead of Kinko's. What a rip-off. :)

RiddlerOK
6/8/2007, 01:47 PM
Got mine at a "Passports and Visas etc." All they needed was a letter from my boss saying it was, "all of the sudden." Fast track-10 days. They handle it all for you, walk over to the post office and get it verifyed. Not an ordeal.

Did they say anything about the extra $ it would cost you or your boss to rush process your application? I saved myself the headache last year and stiffed my employer with the fast-track bill.

skycat
6/8/2007, 02:31 PM
My parents are leaving for Peru in two days, and Dad's passport (that he applied for in early February) just came in yesterday.