PDA

View Full Version : LA Serial Killer up for death penalty

Widescreen
5/16/2007, 01:22 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,272569,00.html

I'm glad this guy is getting what's coming to him. However, I don't fully understand this:

Andrea Tripplett, 29, was 5 1/2 months pregnant when she was strangled in April 1993. Turner was convicted of second-degree murder in the death of the fetus.

So it's OK for the mother to kill a fetus but someone else can't? To me, the fetus either has a right to live or it doesn't. This "it depends on who kills it" thing makes no sense to me.

yermom
5/16/2007, 01:24 AM
i think one of the 168 was a fetus

i agree though, the fact that it's murder only if the mother has not decided to abort it yet is pretty weak

soonerboomer93
5/16/2007, 02:21 AM
um, she was 5 1/2 months pregnant. I thought that outside of the first trimester that abortions weren't allowed unless it was a medical necessity for the health of the mother. It's not a matter of who killed it, it's a matter of the stage of the pregnancy.

SoonerTerry
5/16/2007, 05:02 AM
Kill as I say not as I do

jk the sooner fan
5/16/2007, 06:47 AM
2d degree merely means the difference in "intent"......hard to explain, maybe one of the lawyer types can do it better, but i think its probably to do with "he clearly intended to murder the mother with premeditation" but proving the premeditation on the fetus wasnt so clear - so it drops down to 2d degree

Hamhock
5/16/2007, 07:56 AM
2d degree merely means the difference in "intent"......hard to explain, maybe one of the lawyer types can do it better, but i think its probably to do with "he clearly intended to murder the mother with premeditation" but proving the premeditation on the fetus wasnt so clear - so it drops down to 2d degree

so you're saying abortion should be 1st degree? ;)

stoopified
5/16/2007, 08:08 AM
so you're saying abortion should be 1st degree? ;)
Well since you are asking,yes.

Widescreen
5/16/2007, 08:24 AM
um, she was 5 1/2 months pregnant. I thought that outside of the first trimester that abortions weren't allowed unless it was a medical necessity for the health of the mother. It's not a matter of who killed it, it's a matter of the stage of the pregnancy.
Not according to the info I GIS'd. 2nd trimester abortions seem to be freely available and legal.