PDA

View Full Version : Same seats for RRS

Herr Scholz
5/15/2007, 10:46 AM
No mention of this yet? I guess Deloss wanted to see the big tv instead of having the tunnel. ;)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/051507dnspocottonbowl.3155f75.html

End result: UT in same Dallas seats

03:01 AM CDT on Tuesday, May 15, 2007
By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

AUSTIN – Even though Texas won the right to sit over the tunnel at the Cotton Bowl for its annual showdown with Oklahoma, Longhorns athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Monday UT will continue to sit in the end zone opposite the tunnel.

"The contract allows the home team to pick, and we're leaving it the way it was," said Dodds, referring to the game's unique seating in which fans from each team are split down the 50-yard-line.

Texas is the home team for this year's Red River Rivalry and figured to take advantage of its newly acquired right to sit over the tunnel, where Oklahoma fans have sat for years.

Dodds said Monday there are three reasons why Texas is staying put: 1) improved "security" around the tunnel; 2) the ability to see a giant replay screen that sits over the tunnel; and 3) band seating.

For the past few years, portable screens have been used to cover the tunnel and block fans from seeing when the teams are in the tunnel. This has limited disruptive behavior towards the players from the stands. The fans sitting over the tunnel also have their backs to the giant replay screen in the Cotton Bowl.

Dodds said the Texas band is so big the school might have had to bring a reduced band because the tunnel eats into some choice seating.

The Sooners' long tradition of sitting over the Cotton Bowl tunnel was once considered a big mental advantage. OU fans could yell directly at UT players, and over the years, the occasional cup of beer or other debris was dumped on players' heads. UT officials voiced their displeasure.

After it seemd like they took a stand, Texas fans will remain where they have been seated. Texas argued for and secured the right for the home team to choose where it sits when the two teams agreed to a five-year extension * through 2010 * before last season. The two schools have since agreed to another extension, keeping the game at the Cotton Bowl through 2015.

OU spokesman Kenny Mossman confirmed on Monday that Texas has notified the Sooners about its desire to continue sitting in the end zone opposite the tunnel. The home school has to inform the other of its decision in the spring for ticket printing purposes.

OU officials know sitting over the tunnel is still a big deal to their fans. During contract negotiations in 2006, they agreed to switch sides just to move talks along so the game would stay in Dallas.

"We didn't have to agree to anything," OU athletic director Joe Castiglione told The News last October. "Let's make it loud and clear to everybody, there are always choices."

Octavian
5/15/2007, 11:05 AM
excellent news!

As for the black curtains....funny how the "abuse" and need for protection only became apparent to the Texas leadership and its DMN friends after they got 60 dropped on 'em a couple times.

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2007, 11:09 AM
Asshat!!!! He lobbyed for it, got it, then didn't do it. Shoulda thought of the screen thing and the band first, dildo. :D

Herr Scholz
5/15/2007, 11:21 AM
Dodds never had any intention of moving to the other side. He just wanted to show Joe C who was in charge, that's all. ;)

Phil
5/15/2007, 11:32 AM
No mention of this yet? I guess Deloss wanted to see the big tv instead of having the tunnel. ;)

Ahem.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1873126#post1873126

Boomer_Sooner_sax
5/15/2007, 11:52 AM
Gawd, another freaking reason to hate those tea-sips. They bitch and moan to get that half of the stadium and then don't change. You freakin' @$$holes wonder why no one likes you? You want it your way or no way and then decide against your way. UT is pathetic! Oh, and the band sucks big ones with that dime store cowboy hat and the Dr. Scholl's orthopedic shoes anyway, so if you are missing a few, who cares???????? Maybe you should lose that gawd awful drum major uniform too. Wranglers = bad, white Wranglers = sheer terror! UT SUCKS!

Seamus
5/15/2007, 12:05 PM
Maybe you should lose that gawd awful drum major uniform too. Wranglers = bad, white Wranglers = sheer terror! UT SUCKS!

Greatness!

soonervegas
5/15/2007, 12:42 PM
excellent news!

As for the black curtains....funny how the "abuse" and need for protection only became apparent to the Texas leadership and its DMN friends after they got 60 dropped on 'em a couple times.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Herr Scholz
5/15/2007, 01:04 PM
Ahem.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1873126#post1873126
You called it, Phil. Speaking as a Longhorn, I'm glad we're not moving BTW. It just wouldn't seem right sitting on the South side.

As for the black curtains, I imagine we'll force those to stay up just to annoy you Sooner fans and to take away some of your fun. ;)

Tear Down This Wall
5/15/2007, 01:14 PM
Dodds never had any intention of moving to the other side. He just wanted to show Joe C who was in charge, that's all. ;)

Joe C. always know who's in charge. He and all of the other ADs follow right along like the pansies they are. It's sickening.

Tom Osborne warned everybody years ago.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/15/2007, 01:41 PM
Guys it's reverse psychology. He's saying "It's great over here, more room, big tv, blah blah" in hopes we will switch next year...

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2007, 02:21 PM
Guys it's reverse psychology. He's saying "It's great over here, more room, big tv, blah blah" in hopes we will switch next year...

Then we're the ones that change first. Great, Joe C. is totally gonna fall for that. :mad:

OUDoc
5/15/2007, 02:30 PM
Then we're the ones that change first. Great, Joe C. is totally gonna fall for that. :mad:
He already fell for the "Joe, there's something on your shirt" at the last RRS.

Big Red Ron
5/15/2007, 02:46 PM
Then we're the ones that change first. Great, Joe C. is totally gonna fall for that. :mad:I doubt we change sides next year. The stadium improvement should be done by then. BTW, I don't have any trouble seeing the Jumbotron from my seats and I have average seats on the OU side.

This whole deal is pretty silly.

illinisooner
5/15/2007, 03:15 PM
What are the stadium improvements? If they include not running out of water before halftime, I'm all for it!

Half a Hundred
5/15/2007, 03:18 PM
Of course they didn't change. Judging by their recent installations, they care much more about scoreboards than actual on-the-field play.

And yeah, Dr. Tom was right.

Gah, I miss the Big 8.

TexasLidig8r
5/15/2007, 05:15 PM
Tom Osborne warned everybody years ago.

Bahh.. Tom was a punk. He knew his personal fiefdom was coming to an end. No longer could he bring in street punks to play ball. He knew he had a nice little deal in the Big 8 where all you had to do is in essence win one big game every year and it was, "Hello Orange Bowl."

Economics wouldn't allow either the Big 8 or SWC to remain viable... and quite frankly, sometimes I wonder how long the current situation can last before a super-conference is formed. It appears the future is have your conference form its own network (see, the Big 10).. or face the possibility of merger where the strong, big dogs survive and the small schools fade even further into irrelevance.

Big Red Ron
5/15/2007, 05:22 PM
Bahh.. Tom was a punk. He knew his personal fiefdom was coming to an end. No longer could he bring in street punks to play ball. He knew he had a nice little deal in the Big 8 where all you had to do is in essence win one big game every year and it was, "Hello Orange Bowl."

Economics wouldn't allow either the Big 8 or SWC to remain viable... and quite frankly, sometimes I wonder how long the current situation can last before a super-conference is formed. It appears the future is have your conference form its own network (see, the Big 10).. or face the possibility of merger where the strong, big dogs survive and the small schools fade even further into irrelevance.Cite tv markets and blah, blah, blah but the Big 8 was indeed viable. You think with only having three mega programs in football, OU, NU, CU and four great programs in basketball, OU, KU, OSU, ISU that the roof would have fallen in? Sh!t, forget about all the final fours and sweet 16's we would have had, OU and Nebraska's BCS money alone would have kept us as a top three Conference.

I still think it was a huge mistake to take in the state of texas. We should have let you all rot down there.

utex74
5/15/2007, 08:39 PM
Gawd, another freaking reason to hate those tea-sips. They bitch and moan to get that half of the stadium and then don't change. You freakin' @$$holes wonder why no one likes you? You want it your way or no way and then decide against your way. UT is pathetic!

Classic power play. Negotiate for something the other has. Get it. And then say, "Nah. You can have it." I have said that no Texas fans wanted to sit on that side of the Cotton Bowl.

And just speaking for me, I have not spent one second thinking about who does or doesn't like Texas, much less why. Could not care less. But someone must like our stuff since UT merchandise leads the nation in sales.

But the important thing is we are keeping our traditional sides next year and that is good.

Big Red Ron
5/15/2007, 09:39 PM
Classic power play. Classic stupidity.

KingDavid
5/15/2007, 11:46 PM

Economics wouldn't allow either the Big 8 or SWC to remain viable... and quite frankly, sometimes I wonder how long the current situation can last before a super-conference is formed. It appears the future is have your conference form its own network (see, the Big 10).. or face the possibility of merger where the strong, big dogs survive and the small schools fade even further into irrelevance.

pray tell, what would a super-conference look like, lid?

OUDoc
5/16/2007, 08:15 AM
But someone must like our stuff since UT merchandise leads the nation in sales.

When you graduate 75,000 students/year, you tend to develop a large alumni base. Don't ya think?

TexasLidig8r
5/16/2007, 08:40 AM
pray tell, what would a super-conference look like, lid?

Sixteen schools/teams...

One division of...

Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
LSU
A&M
Arkansas
Alabama
Auburn

One division of...

Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Georgia Tech
South Carolina

Will it happen? Probably not. But, there are a lot of television viewers and corporate dollars in the markets in that conference. And, the long term evolving media outlet could very well be a conference has its own network. (see, Big 10 now and Neutered Dame contract with NBC). Your conference had better have something to bring to the table other than a quality product (that means, lots of viewers and consumers of the products your corporate sponsors are selling).

OUDoc
5/16/2007, 09:04 AM
With a conference like that, the champ would be lucky to have >.700 W/L record. That would kill your MNC chances IF everything stayed the same. IMO, that conference would be too powerful to work well. SEC X10.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/16/2007, 09:39 AM
Well, at least there is one small team in there (aTm)

Vaevictis
5/16/2007, 09:45 AM
With a conference like that, the champ would be lucky to have >.700 W/L record. That would kill your MNC chances IF everything stayed the same. IMO, that conference would be too powerful to work well. SEC X10.

On the plus side, there wouldn't be another Texas MNC in our lifetime or maybe even our children's lifetime.

We'd probably get stuck averaging two or maybe three a lifetime, instead of the seven (and growing) we now enjoy.

It might be worth it. :D

47straight
5/16/2007, 09:59 AM
Can we get a curtain for the entire north stands? If Texas scores, I am afraid that we need to "limit[] disruptive behavior towards the players from the stands."

MamaMia
5/16/2007, 10:07 AM
AUSTIN – Even though Texas won the right to sit over the tunnel at the Cotton Bowl for its annual showdown with Oklahoma, Longhorns athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Monday UT will continue to sit in the end zone opposite the tunnel. If by "won", they mean Mack pouted and whined to Coach Stoops and Joe Castiglione about the traditional seating arrangements, which in fact is exactly what happened, then okay, they 'won' the right to sit where they like. :cool: