PDA

View Full Version : My Top 10 Heisman Watch List

OU_Sooners75
5/15/2007, 01:29 AM
Comments are welcomed....

My Pre-Season Heisman Trophy Watch List

1. Brian Brohm (QB-Louisville)
Among the most efficient QBs in the nation the last 2 seasons, Brian Brohm comes into the 2007 season as my top choice to win the Heisman Trophy. In just 32 games he has passed for 6751 yards, 41 touchdowns, with just 12 interceptions. He has a career completion percentage of 66.3%. Look for Brohm to be just as productive in his final season as the signal caller at Louisville. If Brian can go without injuries, he should make it to New York.

2. Darren McFadden (RB-Arkansas)
Darren finished second in last year's Heisman race behind Troy Smith. As a Sophomore McFadden rushed for 1647 yards, 14 touchdowns in 14 games. He also added 11 receptions for 149 yards and 1 touchdown. If the offensive line can shore the loss of 3 seniors, McFadden could find himself in New York for a second straight year.

3. Steve Slaton (RB-West Virginia)
One of the most exciting running backs to watch in recent years, Steve Slaton is on the verge of football greatness. With just 28 games under his belt, Slaton has already rushed for 2872 yards and 33 touchdowns. He is averaging an amazing 6.34 yards per carry in his short career. His Junior season should not see a slow down, leaving many to wonder if this talented running back should be the Heisman Trophy winner of the 2007 season.

4. Matt Ryan (QB-Boston College)
With a career completion percentage of 60.5%, Matt Ryan is hoping in 2007, that he can lead his team to the ACC title game an ultimately to a BCS Bowl game. In 2006, Matt Ryan passed for 2942 yards 15 touchdowns with 10 interceptions. He also ran for 4 touchdowns. With four of his top 5 wide receivers and 3 of the 5 starting offensive linemen returning look for Mr. Ryan to have another great season in 2007.

5. DeSean Jackson (WR-California)
Accounting for 13 touchdowns last season, 9 receiving and 4 punt returns, look for DeSean Jackson to create excitement when he touches the football. In 2006 DeSean caught 59 passes for 1060 yards and 9 touchdowns. He also returned 25 punts for 455 yards and 4 touchdowns. If playing any other skilled position on offense, DeSean Jackson would definitely be a front runner for the Heisman Trophy.

6. John David Booty (QB-Southern California)
With Booty's top 2 receivers leaving for the NFL after 2006, he must find a wide out he can trust to make plays when it is necessary. In 2006, Booty passed for 3347 yards, 29 touchdowns with 9 interceptions. With the talent and players ahead of him on this list, he must duplicate last years numbers with a higher level of efficiency, along with another PAC-10 title or a BCS Bowl game to have any chance of being the fourth USC player to win the Heisman this decade.

7. Early Doucet (WR-Louisiana State)
Mr. Doucet comes into the 2007 season with a major boost of confidence. To end last season, Early Doucet blew past Notre Dame's defense to catch 8 passes for 115 yards. ON the season he had 59 receptions, 772 yards and 8 touchdowns. If Matt Flynn can find Doucet early (no pun intended), look for Mr. Doucet to have an even better season in 2007.

8. Chad Henne (QB-Michigan)
If you quarterback Michigan, you are usually on someone's pre-season Heisman watch list. Since 2004, Henne has been making people look like fools, those people are mainly reporters and analysts. Why? Because Chad Henne is usually on their watch list. However, unlike this one, Henne is usually listed in the top 5. In 2006, Henne again failed to beat arch rival Ohio State. He again failed to win a Bowl game. Do not let this take away from his talent. Chad Henne has started since he was a Freshman, not a lot of players can say this when attending the University of Michigan. In 2006, Henne passed for 2508 yards, 22 touchdowns with 8 interceptions.

9. Allen Patrick (RB-Oklahoma)
Yes, that's right. You see another running back from Oklahoma that is very capable of making an appearance in New York. All Allen Patrick did to get this hype was fill in for Adrian Peterson during his absence. While filling in for the injured Adrian Peterson in 2006, Allen Patrick rushed for 761 yards and 4 touchdowns in 5 games. Now, Patrick will most likely be the heir apparent to Adrian Peterson. Patrick has the size, speed, and power to make his own name outside of Peterson's shadow. If he can stay healthy, a trip to the Heisman Trophy presentation is a very real possibility.

10. Colt Brennan (QB-Hawaii)
In 2006, Colt Brennan was the number 1 rated quarterback in all of college football. All he did was pass for 5549 yards, 58 touchdowns with just 12 interceptions. All of this on 72.63% completion percentage. One of Colt's only draw backs, not a lot of people actually get to watch him play this game since he is in Hawaii. Another draw back for Colt is they are a team that will pass the ball 70-80% of the time. No matter how many yards, touchdowns, interceptions, completions, or his percentage, Colt Brennan's chance at making the trip to New York is very slim, but anything can happen in the world of college football.

Seamus
5/15/2007, 03:30 AM
I bet Patrick doesn't lead his team in rushing. Around game 3 or 4 the coaches will know -- rather than suspect -- what they have in Murray.

Spray
5/15/2007, 08:10 AM
I agree with Seamus. Even if Patrick starts the whole year, he won't end up with the carries to finish top 10 in the Heisman voting.

Nice list, though.

Blues1
5/15/2007, 08:48 AM
Thats a Very Good List - Glad to see NO One from Norte Dame.... :)

Still R'

OSUAggie
5/15/2007, 09:02 AM
Wouldn't McFadden be ahead of Brohm since he finished in New York last year?

soonerinabilene
5/15/2007, 09:05 AM
I would switch Mcfadden and Brohm, but its a pretty accurate list.

OSUAggie
5/15/2007, 09:07 AM
Yah, it's a good list. I might drop Matt Ryan a spot or 5, though.

Aries
5/15/2007, 09:14 AM
I'm tellin' ya... Malcolm Kelly!

TheUnnamedSooner
5/15/2007, 09:35 AM
I'm tellin' ya... Malcolm Kelly!

With a new QB? We won't pass enough to get him the stats he needs. Does he have the talent? Absolutely.

Herr Scholz
5/15/2007, 09:59 AM
I'd take off Chad Henne and replace him with Colt McCoy but maybe that's just me. ;) I'm not a big Henne fan in general. He seems to fold in all the big games. And Colt was in the Heisman talk last year as a freshman before he got hurt.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/15/2007, 10:04 AM
I'd take off Chad Henne and replace him with Colt McCoy but maybe that's just me. ;) I'm not a big Henne fan in general. He seems to fold in all the big games. And Colt was in the Heisman talk last year as a freshman before he got hurt.

Hate to admit it, but McCoy does deserve to be on a preseason list.

JohnnyMack
5/15/2007, 10:06 AM
If a WR from Cal finishes in the top 3 of the Heisman voting I'll let Herr ride me around my living room like a donkey.

Herr Scholz
5/15/2007, 10:15 AM
If a WR from Cal finishes in the top 3 of the Heisman voting I'll let Herr ride me around my living room like a donkey.
Umm, no thanks.

Collier11
5/15/2007, 10:29 AM
McFadden, Brohm, and JDB should be top 3. JDB is the starting qb for the best team in the country pre-season so he will be a fav!

Collier11
5/15/2007, 10:30 AM

Why the hell isnt Roy Williams on that list? He always plays good in big games and he is a STUD receiver! Thats Bull Crap ;)

Landthief 1972
5/15/2007, 10:43 AM
It's McFadden's to lose.

Patrick won't be in it. It's hard to be up for the Heisman when you're a third down back for Murray by week 3. :)

FlatheadSooner
5/15/2007, 12:13 PM
I don't believe AD was on the preseason list before his FR year. If our OL does a decent job, AP, MD, (or CB?) could be on the list by mid-year. This could be an interesting (good) year. :)

boomersooner28
5/15/2007, 12:25 PM
I'd prolly have Pat White on their somewhere...just because he's gonna be the QB of a really good WV team...they may not lose.

OU_Sooners75
5/15/2007, 02:58 PM
McFadden, Brohm, and JDB should be top 3. JDB is the starting qb for the best team in the country pre-season so he will be a fav!

SUC is not the best team in the preseason.

OU_Sooners75
5/15/2007, 02:59 PM
It's McFadden's to lose.

Patrick won't be in it. It's hard to be up for the Heisman when you're a third down back for Murray by week 3. :)

Why was McFadden there last year? Probably because the players that deserved to be in New York got hurt last season?

He should have won it last year, however, he will have a very tough time duplicating the season he had a year ago.

This isn't McFaddens to lose.

Collier11
5/15/2007, 03:29 PM
SUC is not the best team in the preseason.

They are far and away the best team pre-season IMO. Things can change, but they are going to have a great D, explosive offense as always. You tell me who is better?

Collier11
5/15/2007, 03:31 PM
This def. is not Mcfaddens to lose, he doesnt have a qb thus far and the arkansas coaching staff is in chaos right now with Houston's deal.

OSUAggie
5/15/2007, 03:32 PM
This def. is not Mcfaddens to lose, he doesnt have a qb thus far and the arkansas coaching staff is in chaos right now with Houston's deal.

He didn't have a QB last year, either, so he did it himself.

Collier11
5/15/2007, 03:40 PM
Arkansas also lost 3 starters on the O-Line! We saw how that hurt us in the beginning of '05

OSUAggie
5/15/2007, 03:46 PM
Arkansas has been picked to be terrible almost every year in the Nutt era. They manage to do ok.

OU Adonis
5/15/2007, 03:51 PM

You guys would be attached at the hip.

Seamus
5/15/2007, 04:21 PM

Umm, no thanks.

Yeah, Scholz is a horn, not an aggie :texan:

Collier11
5/15/2007, 04:22 PM
Is this the year that Macks herp spreads to the whole team and they have to cancel a game or two?

OU_Sooners75
5/15/2007, 04:32 PM
They are far and away the best team pre-season IMO. Things can change, but they are going to have a great D, explosive offense as always. You tell me who is better?

The team I have ahead of them in my preseason top 25....

Louisiana State.

Collier11
5/15/2007, 04:37 PM
Even after considering that Les Miles is their head coach and they lost their starting qb(although Flynn is talented) as well as offensive coordinator. I think they are definite Top 5 but im not sure if they are #1

OSUAggie
5/15/2007, 04:59 PM
Even after considering that Les Miles is their head coach and they lost their starting qb(although Flynn is talented) as well as offensive coordinator. I think they are definite Top 5 but im not sure if they are #1

What the hell did Les Miles ever do to show he was a bad coach? And do you think Jimbo Fisher really ran that offense?

I think LSU has the most talent east of the Mississippi. SC probably so in the west.

Seamus
5/15/2007, 05:16 PM
Says the fan of the most powerful offense in the world ... :rolleyes:

Collier11
5/15/2007, 05:20 PM
What the hell did Les Miles ever do to show he was a bad coach?

Umm lets see, how about the fact that he lost 2 games last year with the most talent in the nation which included a top 5 D and the #1 draft pick. There is no way they should have lost a game last year with all of that talent

OSUAggie
5/15/2007, 05:26 PM
Umm lets see, how about the fact that he lost 2 games last year with the most talent in the nation which included a top 5 D and the #1 draft pick. There is no way they should have lost a game last year with all of that talent

Well ****, how did Switzer ever lose a game?

Sometimes it happens.....

OU_Sooners75
5/15/2007, 05:27 PM

Just like SUC losing their two best WRs, 3 OLinemen, and a TE.

SUC is not the best team going into the 2007 season, even though I am positive the AP and the Coaches polls will have them overrated.

SUC doesnt even return the numbers OU or OSU or Nebraska return.

One last thing, before I get, "They were one of the hottest teams last year" comment....

Who did SUC play last year? Their toughest two games were at home against Nebraska and at home against Michigan.

When SUC leaves the state of california for a game, let me know....because in the last 3 years they have only left California 12 times. They have not had to leave Los Angelos in the Month of January since 2002. USC has had an advantage the last 3 or 4 years that no other team really has.
In fact, their toughest road games the last three years were....Virginia Tech(2005), Auburn(2003) and Notre Dame.

OU_Sooners75
5/15/2007, 05:35 PM

So he lost 2 games with a #1 draft pick and had a top 5 defense? Big deal!

Stoops has had plenty of top 5 defenses and first round draft picks...and lost a game or two...does that mean Stoops is not that good of a coach either?

No it doesn't. I do not like Lester Miles. I do not like LSU, but facts are facts, They will have one of the best teams in the nation this year.