PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs

Hamhock
5/14/2007, 03:04 PM
Since I posted the "What to do in Dallas" thread, Mrs. Hamhock mentioned that she'd never been to Hot Springs.

I'm thinking of changing the Dallas trip to Hot Springs.

Anyone ever been? What do they have to do there?

TIA

Petro-Sooner
5/14/2007, 03:11 PM
There is a messican place that is an absolute must. On the walls they have awards for the mest messican food in the state according to some big arki publication. It was some really good stuff. Now dont ask me the name of the place cause I'm not sure. It was on the west side of the main drag though.

crawfish
5/14/2007, 03:29 PM
"Best messican in Arkansas".

I've been to two places in Little Rock that claimed that, and both sucked.

Probably like looking for great fried chicken in China.

Hamhock
5/14/2007, 03:31 PM
"Best messican in Arkansas".

I've been to two places in Little Rock that claimed that, and both sucked.

Probably like looking for great fried chicken in China.

please try to stay on track.

have you been to hot springs? was it cool? what did you do?

Petro-Sooner
5/14/2007, 03:32 PM
Not sure what there is to do. We only stopped there to eat and stay the night. We were doing field work in that area. Pretty country though.

frankensooner
5/14/2007, 03:33 PM
I went there with my folks when I was a kid. They wouldn't let me in the racetrack. My mom had to spend the day shopping downtown with me while my pops and sistahs played the ponies.

I hope that helped.

Hamhock
5/14/2007, 03:34 PM
Pretty country though.

psst..it's just a city in arkansas (one of the United States), it's not a separate country.

crawfish
5/14/2007, 03:41 PM
please try to stay on track.

have you been to hot springs? was it cool? what did you do?

Meh.

I'd say "hot sex", but I haven't been there since I was a kid, so I really wouldn't know.

Viking Kitten
5/14/2007, 03:41 PM
Hot Springs is a nice place to spend the weekend. You want to stay at the Arlington Hotel. The town is famous for its hot baths, so you'll want to arrange a spa day or half day for your wife, and that hotel has a nice one. It also has a nice restaurant and bar, and you can walk to downtown Hot Springs for shopping and sightseeing.

Viking Kitten
5/14/2007, 03:43 PM
They also have a fairly well known documentary film festival, but that's in October.

AlbqSooner
5/14/2007, 08:34 PM
The Arlington used to be famous for Brandy Alexanders with home made ice cream. Just a few blocks down the street was a place that was famous for having mud wrestling on I think Thursdays. YWIA

Jerk
5/14/2007, 08:57 PM
For the scenic drive (and possibly shortest) from OK take 71 from Van Buren / Ft Smith south to "Y City" and hit 270 East all the way to Hot Springs. It is a very nice drive. Lots of hills and trees...big hills and trees.

StoopTroup
5/14/2007, 09:06 PM
Beaver Lake today...

Hot Springs Tonight...

So romantic.

olevetonahill
5/14/2007, 09:26 PM
The last time I was there , was to visit My neice in the Rehab hospital .

RADsooner
5/15/2007, 12:09 AM
eureka sprinigs is also a nice little town, has a haunted hotel you can stay in

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/AR-CrescentHotel.html

OUinFLA
5/15/2007, 07:08 AM
Hot Springs is a nice place to spend the weekend. You want to stay at the Arlington Hotel. The town is famous for its hot baths, so you'll want to arrange a spa day or half day for your wife, and that hotel has a nice one. It also has a nice restaurant and bar, and you can walk to downtown Hot Springs for shopping and sightseeing.

We stayed in the Arlington about 20 years ago. Mostly so my wife could indulge in the hot baths and massage plus it's historical significance to the area.
They had a 75 year old masseuse who had been there for most all his life. Had pics of all the famous people he had massaged on the wall. When I asked who was the most famous? He said "Al Capone" . :eek:

In the middle of the night, I got up to pee, and I heard all this scurrying noise.
Turned on the bathroom light and watched about 3 dozen roaches heading for their hidey-holes. I opted not to tell my wife about it as I didnt want to change hotels in the middle of the night.

Hamhock
5/15/2007, 08:21 AM
VK,

I called the Arlington. They have a few rooms left.

Which would you rather have? A weekend of hot sex, shopping, spa, fine dining at the Anatole in Dallas or the Arlington in Hot Springs.

Massage would prolly be on site at the Arlington and we'd prolly go to one of spas recommended in the What to do in Dallas thread.

Mjcpr
5/15/2007, 08:24 AM
VK,

Which would you rather have? A weekend of hot sex, shopping, spa, fine dining at the Anatole in Dallas or the Arlington in Hot Springs.

Czar, we're here for you buddy. :(

Hamhock
5/15/2007, 08:35 AM
Czar, we're here for you buddy. :(

who do you think is paying for the trip? :texan:

Viking Kitten
5/15/2007, 08:36 AM
VK,

I called the Arlington. They have a few rooms left.

Massage would prolly be on site at the Arlington and we'd prolly go to one of spas recommended in the What to do in Dallas thread.
I generally prefer Dallas because there is more to do, but Hot Springs is a nice, slow change of pace, especially if she's never been there before.

PS... To respond to OUinFla, I suspect there would be roaches in most of the hotels in Hot Springs, that whole place is old school. The Arlington is regarded as the nicest one though. Or you could stay in some generic, newer Holiday Inn. Where's the fun in that?

Pat... I'm ignoring you.

BigRedJed
5/15/2007, 11:09 AM
http://www.thebeijingguide.com/chinese/modern/kfc.jpg

BigRedJed
5/15/2007, 11:21 AM
The Arlington is charming. Stayed there a few years back. Warning: the soundproofing between rooms is not all that great. I was there when there was a huge family reunion thing going on with a family that liked to stay up LATE, talking and shouting in their rooms. Kids running wild. It made the hotel experience less than it could have been, but not really the hotel's fault.

Also, a heads up to the ladies: the hot bath might leave you a little something extra. Stock up on vagisil.

The cafe across the street is a great place to grab an old-school breakfast. Also, I was shocked by one of the best steaks that I've ever eaten in a restaurant there, but I can't remember the name. I'll see what I can do. It was on sort of the opposite end of downtown from the Arlington.

I recommend checking out the restored bath house that the National Park Service runs. Although they don't give hot baths there (it's more of a museum), it's a great glimpse into that way of life a century ago.

The Duck Boat ride is interesting and fun, though I will point out that this is the same operation that had a capsized boat cause multiple drownings a few years ago.

Also, I recommend a stroll along the Promenade, and around the trails up the mountain.

yermom
5/15/2007, 02:16 PM
Also, a heads up to the ladies: the hot bath might leave you a little something extra. Stock up on vagisil.

gwoss.

soonersweetie
5/15/2007, 02:25 PM
maybe gross, but at least he's looking out for the ladies

My dad usually takes a trip to Hot Springs about once a year. He always goes to the track and loves this one place that serves incredible breakfasts, but I've never been there.

Personally, I think I would prefer Dallas, more to do.

Hamhock
5/15/2007, 02:27 PM
place that serves incredible breakfasts, but I've never been there.

Personally, I think I would prefer Dallas, more to do.

we do stuff all the time. we've got 3 kids and she's very busy. we're wanting a relaxing weekend.

i'm thinking that hittin' it 3 times per day in a quaint hotel, sandwiched with antiquing, etc is more appealing than a Dallas mall.

what would you do if you went to Dallas?

soonersweetie
5/15/2007, 02:39 PM
actually, now that you mention relaxing, I would say Hot Springs. Dallas is if you want a fun filled weekend with lots of being busy and going here/there, shopping, restaurants, etc. Not to mention there is more traffic and people. Probably not very relaxing.

On the other hand, Hot Springs would definitely be more laid back and probably more romantic in a lot of ways too.