PDA

View Full Version : YAY for my daughter !!

TUSooner
5/14/2007, 12:00 PM
Just bragging, y'all. :D
My oldest daughter was co-valedictorian of the 280th graduating class of Ursuline Academy in New Orleans on Saturday night. (UA was begun in 1727 and is the oldest continually operating girls' school in the USA.) Her speech was short and sweet about being your own person.

The baccalureate Mass in the morning was especially cool; the sound of the small choir of girls in the high-vaulted chapel sounded like something from another century, a time when New Orleans was a stately Southern dame rather than the dissipated, senile hag she seems like these days.

The graduation that night showed me something about the tides of life or time or...well, something important. You could tell that most of the parents were a little sad or anxious about their babies' big step away from the nest, but the optimism and excitement of the girls was so contagious that it overwhelmed any sadness or fear.
A great day from start to finish.
THE END.

Beef
5/14/2007, 12:02 PM
Awesome. Congrats.

Widescreen
5/14/2007, 12:18 PM
Excellent! Congrats to her. Being Valedictorian is like winning the Heisman. It follows you through your whole life.

dolemitesooner
5/14/2007, 12:25 PM
Congrats man you should be proud

crawfish
5/14/2007, 12:26 PM
Congrats! That's quite an accomplishment.

OUDoc
5/14/2007, 12:26 PM
Couldn't afford to send her to a new school, huh? ;)
Congrats!

Howzit
5/14/2007, 12:29 PM
Awesome, TU. Congrats to both of you.

And thanks again for the contact info. Saw the young man's parents yesterday ond the mom was ecstatic.

sanantoniosooner
5/14/2007, 12:54 PM
That really is something.

TUSooner
5/14/2007, 01:00 PM
Awesome, TU. Congrats to both of you.

And thanks again for the contact info. Saw the young man's parents yesterday ond the mom was ecstatic.
Should I send my resume ? :D

PhxSooner
5/14/2007, 01:30 PM
That's a great accomplishment for your daughter! Congrats.

Petro-Sooner
5/14/2007, 01:44 PM
excitement of the girls was so contagious that it overwhelmed any sadness or fear.

Thats the way everyone seemed to be at the big University graduation and at our college one. Huge grins on everyones faces, high fives, laughing. It was really neat to see.

Congrats.

Frozen Sooner
5/14/2007, 01:49 PM
Congratulations, TU. That's outstanding.

proud gonzo
5/14/2007, 02:19 PM
awesome

soonersweetie
5/14/2007, 02:28 PM
That is awesome, Congratulations!!!

Viking Kitten
5/14/2007, 02:33 PM
Excellent! Congrats to her. Being Valedictorian is like winning the Heisman. It follows you through your whole life.

Unless you kill your wife and a waiter.

Nonetheless, congrats to you and your daughter, TU. Your post makes me happy and sad. It's a reminder that one day my sweet little kiddos are gonna go off and leave me, and that day is gonna suck.

Oldnslo
5/14/2007, 02:41 PM
Wonderful news! Congratulations!

SoonerJack
5/14/2007, 02:48 PM
Unless you kill your wife and a waiter.

Nonetheless, congrats to you and your daughter, TU. Your post makes me happy and sad. It's a reminder that one day my sweet little kiddos are gonna go off and leave me, and that day is gonna suck.

VK you have no idea. Our oldest is TUs daughter's age and these last few months have been literally an emotional rollercoaster. From my wife calling me in tears from his "oh yeah this is the place" college visit to me shopping for graduation cards last week. It's a crazy mix of happy and sad. And it sucks.

TU, you must be very proud of your daughter. Hats off to her! And to you for raising her so well.

TUSooner
5/14/2007, 04:23 PM
VK you have no idea. Our oldest is TUs daughter's age and these last few months have been literally an emotional rollercoaster. From my wife calling me in tears from his "oh yeah this is the place" college visit to me shopping for graduation cards last week. It's a crazy mix of happy and sad. And it sucks.

TU, you must be very proud of your daughter. Hats off to her! And to you for raising her so well.

Thanks. "Rollercoaster" is right: Exhilaration mixed with nausea.
Just try to stay away from those old first day of school and other kiddy photos for awhile. :( ;)

StoopTroup
5/14/2007, 04:27 PM
Now that she's through all that....

Do you think she'll go on with a successful career and marry a nice Sooner Gentleman? :D

Congrats TU....That's awesome ! ! !

BajaOklahoma
5/14/2007, 06:33 PM
Congrats! She got her smarts from her Mom?
This should not be a sad time at all! After all, you've spent all of this time raising them and hoping they would mature enough to leave the nest.

Personally, I didn't get sad until the first Thanksgiving after the oldest left for college. That's when it hit I had an adult child - and it would never be the same. It was easier with the second and third, though. And it is wonderful having adult kids - especially as they graduate from college.

soonerboomer93
5/14/2007, 07:12 PM
congrats

SicEmBaylor
5/14/2007, 07:37 PM
What's it called when you graduate 11th in your class out of 100?

AlbqSooner
5/14/2007, 07:45 PM
What's it called when you graduate 11th in your class out of 100?
Top 20%.:D

C&CDean
5/14/2007, 07:52 PM
Just bragging, y'all. :D
My oldest daughter was co-valedictorian of the 280th graduating class of Ursuline Academy in New Orleans on Saturday night. (UA was begun in 1727 and is the oldest continually operating girls' school in the USA.) Her speech was short and sweet about being your own person.

The baccalureate Mass in the morning was especially cool; the sound of the small choir of girls in the high-vaulted chapel sounded like something from another century, a time when New Orleans was a stately Southern dame rather than the dissipated, senile hag she seems like these days.

The graduation that night showed me something about the tides of life or time or...well, something important. You could tell that most of the parents were a little sad or anxious about their babies' big step away from the nest, but the optimism and excitement of the girls was so contagious that it overwhelmed any sadness or fear.
A great day from start to finish.
THE END.

Co-valedictorian?? What a slacker....

Dude, congrats to you, your wife, and your daughter. Y'all done goooood. I was happy and prouder than punch when my kid got his GED.

olevetonahill
5/14/2007, 09:57 PM
Grats to all .
The 1st day of skool brings back memories ;)
Hell when My grandson got off the Bus at my shop the 1st time, I had tears in my eyes