PDA

View Full Version : Anybody work in advertising/PR?

royalfan5
5/14/2007, 11:17 AM
So it looks like I may have some potential opportunities in the field of Ag Marketing/Advertising/Communications. All I know about working in advertising is what I learned from Bewitched. I do like the idea that this may keep me from having to consider moving to Altus. Anyway, does any one here work in the field, and have any insight? TIA

StuIsTheMan
5/14/2007, 11:23 AM
Just lie alot and put a half nekked woman in each of your ads...You'll be CEO in no time!

Hamhock
5/14/2007, 11:43 AM
Volvo....Boxy, but good.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/14/2007, 11:45 AM
What are your specific questions?

royalfan5
5/14/2007, 12:25 PM
What are your specific questions?
What is typical day like in the advertising world? Are most people in the field relatively well adjusted? Will I be replaced after 5 years by someone who looks similar to me, but is slightly different?

crawfish
5/14/2007, 12:27 PM
Can you handle liquor before 9AM? If so, advertising may be for you!

critical_phil
5/14/2007, 01:01 PM
Will I be replaced after 5 years by someone who looks similar to me, but is slightly different?

no.

you will be replaced by someone who looks better in a short skirt than you.

ywia.

royalfan5
5/14/2007, 01:03 PM
no.

you will be replaced by someone who looks better in a short skirt than you.

ywia.
You missed the joke there. I was tying it back to a reference in the first post.

critical_phil
5/14/2007, 01:11 PM
You missed the joke there. I was tying it back to a reference in the first post.

o.k., i get it.

you should've said Will I be replaced after 5 years by someone who looks similar to me, but has a slightly different sexual preference?

royalfan5
5/14/2007, 01:12 PM
o.k., i get it.

you should've said Will I be replaced after 5 years by someone who looks similar to me, but has a slightly different sexual preference?
You're right.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/14/2007, 03:08 PM
What is typical day like in the advertising world? Are most people in the field relatively well adjusted? Will I be replaced after 5 years by someone who looks similar to me, but is slightly different?I can't speak for advertising, but I present VK and me as "Exhibit A" for the PR world.

royalfan5
5/14/2007, 03:13 PM
I can't speak for advertising, but I present VK and me as "Exhibit A" for the PR world.
What kind of PR function do you function in?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/14/2007, 03:15 PM
Not agriculture PR. If you want to know about the profession, check out www.prsa.org

royalfan5
5/14/2007, 03:19 PM
Not agriculture PR. If you want to know about the profession, check out www.prsa.org
Are you an account executive, or what is your title is what I was trying to get at.

Viking Kitten
5/14/2007, 03:35 PM
PR is a nice field to be in if you are ADD like me and and get bored doing the same thing day in and day out. Every day is different, and I work on a wide variety of projects. It helps to be able to write well, and the ability to schmooze is a plus. If you would be writing any communication that goes to media, go get the AP style book and brush up.

Mjcpr
5/14/2007, 03:36 PM
If you would be writing any communication that goes to media, go get the AP style book and brush up.

Basically, she's saying you've got the stank bref.

royalfan5
5/14/2007, 03:43 PM
PR is a nice field to be in if you are ADD like me and and get bored doing the same thing day in and day out. Every day is different, and I work on a wide variety of projects. It helps to be able to write well, and the ability to schmooze is a plus. If you would be writing any communication that goes to media, go get the AP style book and brush up.
I do love variety, and talking to folks, which is why I am interested in the field. I think I would be more on advertising campaigns with this group of jobs though, but most of the firms I am looking at also do PR stuff.

Rhino
5/14/2007, 03:55 PM
Make sure you get their definition of PR before you go further. Some people don't totally understand what PR is.

Out of college with a PR degree, I applied for / looked at "PR jobs" that turned out to be secretarial, door-to-door and personal assistant jobs. That is not PR.

If it's about press releases, brochures, in-house publications, web site stuff, dealing with the media, etc., then you're on the right track.

royalfan5
5/14/2007, 03:58 PM
Make sure you get their definition of PR before you go further. Some people don't totally understand what PR is.

Out of college with a PR degree, I applied for / looked at "PR jobs" that turned out to be secretarial, door-to-door and personal assistant jobs. That is not PR.

If it's about press releases, brochures, in-house publications, web site stuff, dealing with the media, etc., then you're on the right track.
Most of the stuff I am looking at is account executive/strategic planning type jobs right now.

Viking Kitten
5/14/2007, 04:05 PM

Exactly. And I love it when receptionists tell me they are in PR because they "meet and greet the public." Heh. In PR, you don't deal with people. You deal with reporters.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/14/2007, 04:46 PM
Most of the stuff I am looking at is account executive/strategic planning type jobs right now.If it has strategic planning as part of the emphasis that's good. A lot of companies think of PR as publicity only. Publicity is only a small part of it.

Rhino and VK provide some good insight as to what PR entails.

What is your background?

royalfan5
5/14/2007, 05:29 PM
If it has strategic planning as part of the emphasis that's good. A lot of companies think of PR as publicity only. Publicity is only a small part of it.

Rhino and VK provide some good insight as to what PR entails.

What is your background?
Undergraduate is Political Science and Religion, a year of law school, and an MBA with an Agribusiness emphasis. My work experience is related to rural development and non-profit fundraising.

StoopTroup
5/14/2007, 07:07 PM
If you can post on SoonerFans....

You can PR....:D

Mjcpr
5/14/2007, 07:11 PM
Exactly. And I love it when receptionists tell me they are in PR because they "meet and greet the public." Heh. In PR, you don't deal with people. You deal with reporters.
Well laaaaaa dee frickin' daaaaa, somebody's too good to deal with the "public".

http://www.andrewchoset.com/Matt_Foley.jpg

:D

soonerboomer93
5/14/2007, 08:32 PM
that's because, in general

dealing with the public succs

Viking Kitten
5/14/2007, 08:47 PM
that's because, in general

dealing with the public succs

But dealing with reporters sucks mountain gorilla balls. Reporters aren't entirely human.