PDA

View Full Version : ***Adam Petty Memorial Darlington Thread***

royalfan5
5/13/2007, 11:34 AM
7 years ago yesterday, Adam Petty died in an accident at New Hampshire International Speedway. It was the start of the 9 of the most tragic months in NASCAR history, as Kenny Irwin died at NHIS that fall, and Dale Sr. the following February.

Rain has delayed the race until Sunday for the second week in a row and it is a COT race. I am going to pick the 24 to win today, since Hendrick is the only folks that have figured out the COT so far.

royalfan5
5/13/2007, 12:08 PM
8 Car will likely lose points, be fined, and face crew chief suspension for unapproved wing mounting brackets.

royalfan5
5/13/2007, 12:28 PM
07 looks like the car to beat so far.

Newbomb Turk
5/13/2007, 12:30 PM
I am going to pick the 24 to win today

I hope you are wrong.

royalfan5
5/13/2007, 12:34 PM
Looks like the 99 is going to be good today, as well as the 11

Sooner24
5/13/2007, 01:45 PM
Don't forget Tony Roper died at TMS in Oct of 2000 at the truck race.

Sooner24
5/13/2007, 01:45 PM
I was at the only Cup race that Adam Petty ever ran, at TMS, about two or three weeks before he died.

GrapevineSooner
5/13/2007, 03:44 PM
Not to get into 20/20 hindsight...

But it's too bad Nascar couldn't take these issues more seriously until the life of it's biggest name was claimed.

Newbomb Turk
5/13/2007, 03:50 PM
and the Hendrick boys rise to the top.

GrapevineSooner
5/13/2007, 04:00 PM
24 is either going to win...

Or he's going to blow his engine up.

GrapevineSooner
5/13/2007, 04:02 PM
And......a debris caution comes out.

GrapevineSooner
5/13/2007, 04:21 PM
Happy Dance

royalfan5
5/13/2007, 04:22 PM
Another win for the 24.

Mixer!
5/13/2007, 09:23 PM
Bulldoze Loudon, it su**s. Bring back one of the older tracks.

GrapevineSooner
5/14/2007, 10:12 AM
I actually think no track should have more than one race date in order to facilitate visiting more facilities like Kentucky, Milwaukee, Rockingham, etc.

It boggles my mind that Nascar was even thinking about building tracks up around New York and Seattle. Granted, Loudon sells out every year. But the fact is the sport is very much rooted in the South and should focus more of their efforts to run more races in that region every year.

royalfan5
5/14/2007, 10:28 AM
I actually think no track should have more than one race date in order to facilitate visiting more facilities like Kentucky, Milwaukee, Rockingham, etc.

It boggles my mind that Nascar was even thinking about building tracks up around New York and Seattle. Granted, Loudon sells out every year. But the fact is the sport is very much rooted in the South and should focus more of their efforts to run more races in that region every year.
And then you are stuck being a regional sport. If NASCAR wants be nationwide, they have to run nationwide. There is a ton of good racing in the Northeast, Midwest, and Northwest and those fans want to see races too. There have been a lot of NASCAR drivers and crew chiefs from the Northeast as well. The Bodine's, Rickey Craven, Martin Truex, Jimmy Spencer, Greg Zipadelli, and Ray Evernham to name a few. Rockingham and North Wilkesboro weren't drawing very well, and Darlington wasn't either with two races a year. That's why they lost their dates.

OKLA21FAN
5/14/2007, 10:34 AM

actually, the saturation of races 'in the south' contributed greatly to the empty seats and the Rock, ATL, DArlington, North Wilks, Mville and charlotte in recent years.

The Rock and Darlington struggled to sell out a 65K seat venue, North Wilks couldn't sell out a 45K venue and ATL hasn't sold out since the two years after it track expansion in '98.

Race fans in the southwest, and west coast have little issue with a 8+ hour drive to support their 'closest' track for a CUP race, but the 'southern root' fans don't seem to want to support a track less than three hours away.