PDA

View Full Version : Motorola/Cingular phone people

mdklatt
5/11/2007, 06:28 PM
I finally broke down and bought a cell phone (a Motorola V235) to use for emergencies. I was playing around with it, and hit the keypad button with the Cingular logo on it. This apparently connects you to the internet, which is ***-expensive so I hit the hang-up button. Then I discovered that you can lock certain applications. What a great way to keep from inadvertently connecting to the internet. Or maybe not. Under Settings->Security->Lock Application, I locked WebAccess, MEdia Net (the Cingular keybad button, I think), and Web Sessions. This doesn't seem to have any effect. If I lock any of the other applications, I can't do anything without entering the unlock code. If I select MEdia Net, however, it attempts to connect to the innerweb and starts transfering bytes like they're going out of style--and it never asks for the unlock code. WTF?? :confused:

What's also curious is that I haven't received my activation code yet. It's a prepaid phone, and I have a zero balance, so I shouldn't be able to make any calls or connect to the innerweb at all yet, right?

Turd_Ferguson
5/11/2007, 06:30 PM
Pre-paid = :mack: "they will nail you in the donkey for anything you do with that phone"!

soonerboomer93
5/11/2007, 06:38 PM
you can problably change the key setting in that phone so that they key doesn't lead to the web...

mdklatt
5/11/2007, 06:39 PM
Pre-paid = :mack: "they will nail you in the donkey for anything you do with that phone"!

I'll go weeks at a time without ever using it, so pre-paid is the best option for me.

Turd_Ferguson
5/11/2007, 06:53 PM
I'll go weeks at a time without ever using it, so pre-paid is the best option for me.
10-4, Roger Wil-Co.

Widescreen
5/11/2007, 11:35 PM
I stopped using it (including being REALLY careful not to hit the Cingular key) and eventually it got to the point where I'd hit it and it would always tell me that the service was unavailable and the little Edge icon on the phone wasn't there. I did that several times over a couple of weeks and the Edge icon came back. I wonder if they see you're not using it and shut the service down for you and then if you request it enough times, they restart the service. :confused: