PDA

View Full Version : Announcing the new women's sport...

TheHumanAlphabet
5/11/2007, 08:44 AM
womens sculls. (http://newsok.com/article/3052509)

BTW, what the heck is the Oklahoma River? Did they find a river no one new about? ;) When I was in Oklahoma, there was the North and South Canadian River running in and around OKC...

I would think Dirty Bird would have been better - closer to Norman, but if some one went under water, they wouldn't be able to find the surface...;)

OKLA21FAN
5/11/2007, 08:53 AM
row,row, row your boat!

TheHumanAlphabet
5/11/2007, 08:54 AM
We're just that much closer to being Ivy League...

IronSooner
5/11/2007, 12:16 PM
Sounds cool. I was going to join the guy's crew team, but didn't feel like showing up for 6am practices after 4 years of that in HS. Looks fun though.

I wonder if there ever will be any E/W teams meeting halfway in OKC for competitions. Somehow I doubt it, but it would be a nice way to get some extra exposure.

OKLA21FAN
5/11/2007, 12:24 PM
Title IX at work

now lets see dem boys get Hockey as a varsity sport

just wishin

TheHumanAlphabet
5/11/2007, 12:43 PM
Probably won't be adding any men's sport any time soon. What do they have to do is it 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 deal on new women's sports?

Collier11
5/11/2007, 12:45 PM
why is this in the football thread...just askin?

TheHumanAlphabet
5/11/2007, 12:46 PM
1. Football thread gets more reads
2. This thread is OU related
3. The "other Sports" thread seemed more about Pros

Suerreal
5/11/2007, 12:56 PM
Dangit! Can I be 17 again? I'd have loved to try crew.

PS On recent trips to Bricktown, it appears they've renamed the stretch of the North Canadian that runs through there as the Oklahoma River.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/11/2007, 01:04 PM
PS On recent trips to Bricktown, it appears they've renamed the stretch of the North Canadian that runs through there as the Oklahoma River.

I got that, but that is really gay (nttawwt). what was wrong with the original name? Anybody knwo the from / to location for the Oklahoma river? so what is the headland and what is the delta?

Seamus
5/11/2007, 01:10 PM
We're just that much closer to being Ivy League...

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that.

As an aside, I'm cool with Boren, but he seems to be trying a little too hard with this quote:

"It will be something to see the Sooner flag flying prominently over the Oklahoma River,” said OU president David Boren.

RedstickSooner
5/11/2007, 04:33 PM
Pull!

Pull!

Pull!

Pull!

Flagstaffsooner
5/11/2007, 05:58 PM
I hope they have a HOT Coxwain.:O

Dio
5/12/2007, 01:01 PM
I got that, but that is really gay (nttawwt).

Correct

what was wrong with the original name?

Not a damn thing

Anybody knwo the from / to location for the Oklahoma river? so what is the headland

Jesus House

and what is the delta?

Old Paris

Jimminy Crimson
5/12/2007, 03:11 PM
The Oklahoma River starts over by Meridian and ends around Eastern, I think.

There have been several rowing competitions including some pretty prestigious programs from across the country (Ivy League types). All have rave reviews for the river.

We're hosting a US Olympic qualifying deal next summer, I believe. Pretty big deal for such a young river.

mfosterftw
5/13/2007, 02:53 PM
You don't want it on Dirty Bird. The lake has too much fetch, which combined with your average Oklahoma winds makes for poor rowing.

Oh, and there is no such thing as the South Canadian River. It's just the Canadian.

But I'm with OKLA21FAN, and hope this gets us close to hockey. What varsity hockey ultimately needs, however, is someone willing to pony up dollars for a facility.

Marc

Mixer!
5/13/2007, 09:30 PM
c'mon, powerball...

TheHumanAlphabet
5/15/2007, 09:14 AM
Oh, and there is no such thing as the South Canadian River. It's just the Canadian.

But I'm with OKLA21FAN, and hope this gets us close to hockey. What varsity hockey ultimately needs, however, is someone willing to pony up dollars for a facility.

Marc

Yeah, you're right, 20+ years of being away made me forget the lack of a South Canadian River...

As much as I would like to see Hockey as an NCAA sport, OU would probably get women's hockey before men's knowing how Title IX works...