PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reports Dirk wins MVP

colleyvillesooner
5/10/2007, 10:53 PM
Good for him. It's a regular season award and he had one hell of a season.

Part of me wonders how many people voted "Not Nash" on their ballots.

That being said, Dirk earned it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2866994

Mavs' Nowitzki will receive MVP trophy next week

It appears that the worst-kept secret in the NBA will be out in the open by early next week.

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki, whose coronation as the first European-born Most Valuable Player in NBA history has been expected for weeks, is scheduled to officially receive the MVP trophy at a Tuesday news conference in Dallas, ESPN.com has learned.

The NBA has handed out its past three MVPs -- two straight to Phoenix's Steve Nash after Minnesota's Kevin Garnett won in 2004 -- at the start of the second round. But it's believed the league opted to put some distance between Nowitzki's ceremony and the Mavericks' stunning first-round exit against Golden State.

By the time Nowitzki collects his award, nearly two weeks will have elapsed since the 67-win Mavs became the just the third No. 1 seed in NBA history to lose to a No. 8 seed. The previous two No. 1 seeds to lose so quickly, however, suffered five-game exits as opposed to losing a seven-game series: Seattle in 1994 to Denver and Miami in 1999 to New York.

Said Nowitzki, reached by phone Thursday night: "Nobody's told me anything. You [media] guys have been talking about it for a while, so let's see what happens.

"[But] it's hard to even think about that stuff right now. Everything [from the Golden State series] is still pretty fresh. It's been some tough days since we lost.

"I thought this was such an incredible year. We won 67 games and then to lose in the first round, it just feels so empty right now."

Asked to imagine what an MVP ceremony would be like after such a disappointment, Nowitzki said: "If I do get it, it's an incredible honor. I'm sure 20 years from now or whatever, to see that in the [record] books, it's an amazing achievement. But right now, it's hard. Obviously, you can't feel good about the way our season ended."

Nowitzki averaged 24.6 points, 8.9 rebounds and a career-best 3.4 assists during the regular season and was the only player in the league to shoot at least 50 percent from the field (.502), 40 percent from 3-point range (.416) and 90 percent from the free-throw line (.904). His percentages in each of those categories were career highs, helping Nowitzki secure his third successive berth on the All-NBA first team, which was announced earlier Thursday.

But it all changed in the playoffs against longtime mentor Don Nelson, who crafted a defensive strategy -- which included constant double-teaming, largely by fronting Nowitzki and then sending over help defenders on his catches -- that the 7-footer and Mavs coach Avery Johnson never solved. Nowitzki scored just eight points on 2-for-13 shooting in Dallas' Game 6 elimination and wound up averaging a mere 19.7 points for the series on 38.3-percent shooting and just 21.1 percent on 3s.

Complete ballot results remain unknown, but all indications point to Nowitzki edging his close friend and two-time reigning MVP Nash for the award. In a recent survey of MVP voters conducted by The Arizona Republic, in which the Phoenix newspaper received responses from 96 of the 132 ballot-holders, Nowitzki totaled 57 first-place votes to Nash's 37, with Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers receiving the other two.

The German is poised to join Houston's Moses Malone (in 1979 and 1982) and Baltimore's Wes Unseld (who was Rookie of the Year and MVP in 1969) as the only MVPs in league history to lose in the first round of the playoffs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was named MVP in 1976 in his first year in Los Angeles even though his Lakers failed to reach the playoffs that season.

Nowitzki said Thursday that he hasn't been watching much of the playoffs since the Mavs' ouster and that he's still in the process of finalizing his offseason plans, which are likely to include some travel to get a break from the game before joining the German national team for one last run at qualifying for the Olympics. Nowitzki has maintained for years that leading his country to an Olympic berth is his "dream."

In an interview before the playoffs, though, Nowitzki left little doubt that he knew the consequences of another playoff setback, given the level of NBA media coverage and dissection compared to Malone's era and Dallas' collapse last June in the NBA Finals after taking a 2-0 lead over Miami.

"I've said it a million times: We could go 82-0 and we know it means nothing unless we win it all," Nowitzki said on the eve of the Golden State series. "I know what's going on. If we lose [in the playoffs], you guys will say they can't win the big games and they have no leadership."

Yet, Mavericks management has stood staunchly behind its franchise player, pointing out that the 28-year-old is only a year removed from dominating a Game 7 on the road in San Antonio and hanging 50 points on Phoenix in a series-turning game in the conference finals.

"Don't forget that we took away his point guard and his best friend [Nash], and that we went to a totally different style of play [from Nellie to Avery]," Mavs president of basketball operation Donnie Nelson said recently. "Every time we throw something new at Dirk, he masters it."

After the Mavericks cleaned out their lockers for the summer May 5, Nowitzki told reporters: "I always take things very, very hard on myself. I don't need media people to tell me that I did bad. I know I didn't play my best in the playoffs.

"I understand the business by now. If you play well and you win, you're the greatest. And if you lose, you're the worst player in the league. [It's] obviously not the position I want to be in, but it's nothing I can change now. I believe that everything happens for a reason. Hopefully I can learn from this experience."

sanantoniosooner
5/10/2007, 11:09 PM
Chris Weinke

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2007, 07:38 AM
Both ran into bad matchups.

Problem with your analogy is Dirk is a good Pro, while Weinke succs. :D

sanantoniosooner
5/11/2007, 07:45 AM
Both ran into bad matchups.

Problem with your analogy is Dirk is a good Pro, while Weinke succs. :D
Chris was made to look like a fool by the opposing team.

Dirk allowed himself to be taken out of the game by going back to his old style of play. Inexcusable for a pro(MVP) and especially in a series as opposed to a single game.

Before the playoffs I would have been happy for him to win it. Right now it kind of sucks even though I do agree it's a regular season recognition.

I guarantee Jason White would have traded that heisman for a NC though. Dirk would do the same thing.

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2007, 07:53 AM
well, yeah.

Beef
5/11/2007, 10:28 AM
Chris was made to look like a fool by the opposing team.

Dirk allowed himself to be taken out of the game by going back to his old style of play. Inexcusable for a pro(MVP) and especially in a series as opposed to a single game.

Before the playoffs I would have been happy for him to win it. Right now it kind of sucks even though I do agree it's a regular season recognition.

I guarantee Jason White would have traded that heisman for a NC though. Dirk would do the same thing.
I was in on the Dirk bashing right after the loss to Golden State, but after some thinking, I'm putting Dirk minimally to blame and Avery mostly to blame. It's not like the Mavs owned Golden State during the regular season and the Mavs lost just because Dirk had a bad series. Avery knew that Nellie and Golden State had their number and he did nothing to change that. That's purely coaching. He had an opportunity at the end of the year to try some new things against GS to see if they worked, and he played the JV instead. Dirk has never been a drive to the hoop when his shot isn't working player. He earned the MVP this year because he learned to pass out when his shot wasn't going. The coaching staff knew what they had in Dirk and didn't put him or the team in a position to succeed.

I bought into the whole "regular season record against GS didn't matter" crap just like the coaching staff did. They were oblivious that there were matchup problems and did nothing to fix it. I love Avery, but the loss was on him, not Dirk and I'm disappointed he hasn't come out and said back off Dirk, this was my fault.

Beef
5/11/2007, 10:29 AM
I feel better now. Even if everyone thinks I'm wrong.

GrapevineSooner
5/11/2007, 11:53 AM
Avery actually came out the other day and said 'blame me'.

He's still relatively inexperienced as a head coach. I trust he learned a lot of valuable lessons through this painful loss and I'm still Avery's biggest fan.

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2007, 12:04 PM
Avery actually came out the other day and said 'blame me'.

He's still relatively inexperienced as a head coach. I trust he learned a lot of valuable lessons through this painful loss and I'm still Avery's biggest fan.

Problem with Avery saying blame me is he always says Blame me, so it loses it's luster.

In an interview with Norm he actually said "Norm, you always know I say Blame me, from Day one. And I do take blame for this." but then he added how the players still need to perform and we didn't get the performances we expect from some of the guys.

Scott D
5/11/2007, 12:31 PM
Did he mention he needed a guy with the balls to take this team by the throat when it needs it?

sanantoniosooner
5/11/2007, 04:14 PM
Avery's biggest mistake against GS was the same mistake the Spurs made with the Mavs last season. They totally altered what worked for them to match up with the other team.

Great teams impose their will on the other team. They don't let the other team dictate everything about a series.

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2007, 04:16 PM
yep

GrapevineSooner
5/15/2007, 11:24 AM
Dirk presser going on right now.

Obviously. ;)

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2007, 11:55 AM
I liked when he said he wasn't the one who leaked it. :D

Scott D
5/15/2007, 11:57 AM
ESPN reporting now that Baron Davis just stole Dirk's MVP going away, and Dirk just stood there and watched.

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2007, 12:02 PM
I'm sure there's another thread to **** on Dirk besides this one.

TIA

sanantoniosooner
5/15/2007, 12:22 PM

TIA
This seemed like the perfect one.......:(

GrapevineSooner
5/15/2007, 12:29 PM
I liked when he said he wasn't the one who leaked it. :D

It was also funny when Dirk was talking about how he was a big fan of the NBA growing up and that there would only be a few games on each week...and the Mavs weren't really noticed because...well...they weren't that good.

The pain still stings from that series defeat 12 days ago. But it is amazing how far this franchise has come from those sad days of the 90's.

Scott D
5/15/2007, 12:32 PM

TIA

this one is more fun. :)

bri
5/15/2007, 12:51 PM
Great teams impose their will on the other team. They don't let the other team dictate everything about a series.

Wait, does this mean Golden State is a great team?

I feel a little better about the loss, then. ;)

sanantoniosooner
5/15/2007, 12:58 PM
Wait, does this mean Golden State is a great team?

I feel a little better about the loss, then. ;)
Great teams can repeat the process.

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2007, 01:00 PM
i have a question for mavs fans.........do we want golden state to lose to Utah or win? does them losing prove that their win was a bit of a fluke in the sense it was just one of those matchup problems and a team that was squarely in the head of the opponent? or would golden state winning mean more?

i say its better if they lose....

sanantoniosooner
5/15/2007, 01:04 PM
From a non-Mavs fan.........I would think you would want them to win, unless it's just a hate thing.

If they continue to win you can chalk some things up to "destiny". But if they go down 4-1 to Utah, it reflects even more poorly on the Mavs.

JMHO

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2007, 01:08 PM
i think most mavs fans believe that we were the better team with a **** poor performance in that series.....so if they keep winning, its hard to argue that we're the better team

maybe i'm just being a homer......dont know

sanantoniosooner
5/15/2007, 01:13 PM
i think most mavs fans believe that we were the better team with a **** poor performance in that series.....so if they keep winning, its hard to argue that we're the better team

maybe i'm just being a homer......dont know
I don't think anyone outside of GS thinks the Mavs were lesser.

It's pretty clear that this was about Nelly knowing the right buttons to push and the Mavs not forcing their agenda. Throwing some "destiny" on the side of GS just helps you wash your hands of it a little more. At least you can try.

Collier11
5/15/2007, 04:21 PM
The problem with Dirk is that he shys away from contact and in "game on the line" situations, he is going to be bodied up, pushed around, and he cant handle it. That is why Dallas will not win a championship with Dirk...IMHO!

GrapevineSooner
5/15/2007, 04:35 PM
He scored 37 in a Game 7 at San Antonio last year.

He scored 50 in a Game 5 win over Phoenix last year after Tim Thomas challenged his manhood.

I don't know if Dirk will ever lead the Mavs to a title. And he hasn't played well in the last 10 Mavs playoff games. That doesn't mean he'll always pull a disappearing act when the game is on the line.

Scott D
5/15/2007, 04:36 PM
there's the problem. The Warriors should have challenged Dirk's manhood.

Collier11
5/15/2007, 04:42 PM
Scoring a ton of points doesnt mean you are answering challenges in crunch time. Dirk wilting away in whichever game it was, then saying that he had to pass more was a blatant showing of him not embracing the pressure. Maybe he will change in the future?

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2007, 05:08 PM
CAlling for the ball and driving to the basket and drawing the foul in Game 7 against SA last year was answering the cahallenge in crunch time. Since then, yeah, not so good, but that was only last year.

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2007, 05:14 PM
dirk is what he is.....everybody wants him to be a dwayne wade style player......thats just not his game

dallas will win a championship with dirk if they can get a player that can compliment him well enough - somebody that the other team cant afford to double team either one of them.....or if they do, its a pick your poison type deal.....you double team one, but the other will burn you

Scott D
5/15/2007, 05:17 PM
Actually, I'd prefer to see Dirk be a little more McHale like player than anything. Sure I can drop 30 on you one night, and then turn around give you a sharp elbow the next.

Collier11
5/15/2007, 05:18 PM
Thats what I am talking about...holy sh*t we agreed on something ;) He is just too soft

sanantoniosooner
5/15/2007, 05:28 PM
dirk is what he is.....everybody wants him to be a dwayne wade style player......thats just not his game

dallas will win a championship with dirk if they can get a player that can compliment him well enough - somebody that the other team cant afford to double team either one of them.....or if they do, its a pick your poison type deal.....you double team one, but the other will burn you
They could use a guy like Nash.

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2007, 05:30 PM
he hasnt taken phoenix to the promised land and has better athletes than dallas......what makes you think he'd do any different here?

no, they need somebody that will drive to the hoop.....often

sanantoniosooner
5/15/2007, 05:33 PM
You're right.

It would suck to have the last two MVPs on the same team.;)

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2007, 05:34 PM
i didnt say it would suck, i'm just not sure he's the answer

sanantoniosooner
5/15/2007, 05:36 PM
i didnt say it would suck, i'm just not sure he's the answer
For the record, I was being a smart butt. I believe he already played for the Mavs at some point, if I recall correctly.

Beef
5/16/2007, 10:40 AM
Anyone else in Dallas get a kick out of the Dallas Morning News kissing Dirk 's *** in the paper today when after the Mavs lost, all the writers were saying Dallas couldn't win a championship with him? David Moore was especially insulting basically saying everyone in Dallas should be ashamed of the piling on on Dirk. You're ****ing newspaper started the piling on.

jk the sooner fan
5/16/2007, 11:03 AM
yes beef, i had the same exact thoughts

as well as all the shows on the ticket calling for the mavs to 'blow this team up"

gee, i didnt see phoenix and the spurs doing that last year after they didnt make the championship

sanantoniosooner
5/16/2007, 11:55 AM
Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan all have long term contracts. It would be tough to blow the team up.

Plus, they know those guys can win it. They already have. The did bring in Elson to try and get a little more athletic on the big side.

The West is so competitive, I don't think you should do anything but tweak if you are in the top 5