PDA

View Full Version : Sun dried tomatoes?

achiro
5/10/2007, 10:17 AM
So I'm digging them in a lot of pasta dishes, salads, and a few other uses. do you really think they have abunch of trays sitting in the sun somewhere or are they just sticking them in a dehydrator and calling it good?

SoonerAtKU
5/10/2007, 10:23 AM
I can't imagine the FDA has a regulation on what you can call "sun-dried", so I'd imagine they're just plain ol' dried.

Doesn't much matter to me how they got that way, they're still really good.

soonerbrat
5/10/2007, 10:32 AM
pour vous:

Clicka (http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/sundriedrecipe.htm)

Jeopardude
5/10/2007, 10:44 AM
Some brands do actually dry them in the sun on raised screens - Mediterranean Organics for one. Your Wally World ones and low cost ones are probably dried in ethylene gas chambers and then have red dye added to them.

Sun dried cherry tomatoes are expensive (think of the extra labor), but are truly awesome.

King Crimson
5/10/2007, 10:50 AM
here's what you do: take a baking dish. slice yer toms in slices (romas are the best, since they aren't 80 water). mix them in layers with garlic, parm, and some basil, and some sliced eggplant....salt...in a baking dish.

put them in yer oven at 350 for a while. the smell alone makes it worthwhile

great to toss with pasta, on sammies a couple days later, etc. roasted toms are a great taste. sun dried is good, but you overpay.

why pay 8 bucks when you can do this easy stuff on your own?

MamaMia
5/10/2007, 11:00 AM
I always dehydrate my own. You never know if flies landed on the sun dried ones that people buy. For a change of pace, they're great on pizza, instead of sauce.

Viking Kitten
5/10/2007, 11:18 AM
You people are making me hungry. Except for the fly thing. That was kind of gross.

King Crimson
5/10/2007, 11:27 AM
if you get enough flies, and marinate them in EVOO (Rachel Ray invented that acronym, and all food and nourishment and pleasure by the way)...along with bees you can toss them with fusilli and garlic, saffron broth, fresh italian parsley, chili pepper and a little parm-reg.

YUMO!

edit: you need to de-sting the bees.

MamaMia
5/10/2007, 11:38 AM
You people are making me hungry. Except for the fly thing. That was kind of gross. Its very gross. Flies land on things so they can up-chuck. :D

I love giving y'all back some of your own medicine. :P