PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin to wear 23?

lubbocksooner
5/10/2007, 09:04 AM
Check out the link to Parrish's column on CBS sportsline. He will have big shoes to fill picking that number. About 3/4 the way down in the stories in the link

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/parrish_thoughts

What do you guys think? Gutsy or Crazy or is there a difference?

Boomer.....
5/10/2007, 09:11 AM
Odd that they are allowing him to wear a retired number, but hopefully he can make a huge impact.

sooner518
5/10/2007, 09:28 AM
apparently Wayman OK'd it, so im fine with it. Sounds like hes confident in himself and I sure hope he can back it up.

crawfish
5/10/2007, 10:10 AM
Wow. Talk about embracing expectations!

birddog
5/10/2007, 11:50 AM
i've never seen blake play. is he really going to make a big difference for us? someone help me out here.

Shneeg11
5/10/2007, 12:01 PM
i've never seen blake play. is he really going to make a big difference for us? someone help me out here.

Yes, he is going to make a huge impact! Granted, he played 2A basketball, but his size and athletic ability are amazing. Also, he dominated in AAU games. Blake plays higher above the rim than i have ever seen in any level. minus MJ, and a handful of others i suppose

the_ouskull
5/10/2007, 12:41 PM
So...

I'm TOTALLY down with this, as long as Wayman signed off on it. I think it's great...

As far as next year, just having another guy on the court, even if he doesn't live up to his athletic billing, he really seems to "get" the game of basketball, so having another person on the court who "gets" the game, and can also play it, will help tremendously.

the_ouskull

starrca23
5/10/2007, 01:42 PM
Wearing Ryne Sandberg's number is a great honor...and I am a Cardinals fan! :D

soonervegas
5/10/2007, 01:44 PM
I haven't seen him play and he may be the biggest bust in OU history, but I love the balls it takes to take this on.

william_brasky
5/10/2007, 02:43 PM
I haven't seen him play and he may be the biggest bust in OU history, but I love the balls it takes to take this on.

vegas loves the balls. :texan:

OSUAggie
5/10/2007, 03:45 PM
NTTAWWT

JDawg2303
5/10/2007, 04:33 PM
I agree. Sounds like Blake understands the pressure and is willing to embrace it. Looks like Wayman signed off on it so I have no problem. But the kid better deliver or it's going to be a long fall down.

King Crimson
5/10/2007, 05:37 PM
it's dumb to compare the kid to Wayman. "long fall down"....it's a number. you can't put that kind of expectation on a kid.

Rocky Calmus wore # 20, did we drag the kid down because he wasn't Billy Sims?

Salt City Sooner
5/10/2007, 10:32 PM
Odd that they are allowing him to wear a retired number, but hopefully he can make a huge impact.
OU doesn't retire numbers, they retire jerseys. Blake's just the first one in a long time (& btw, Wayman was not the last to wear #23) to ask for that number. Capel's call to Wayman was basically out of courtesy (& the classy thing to do, IMO), not necessity.

william_brasky
5/10/2007, 11:33 PM
I'd like to see Wayman play bass with the band at some home games.

JDawg2303
5/11/2007, 08:28 AM
it's dumb to compare the kid to Wayman. "long fall down"....it's a number. you can't put that kind of expectation on a kid.

You obviously didn't read the article because when Blake asked Capel to wear the number, Capel brought up Wayman and Blake already knew it. He compared himself to Wayman in that they both are from Oklahoma and Wayman obviously made a huge impact and so does Blake.

As far as Rocky is concerned, Rocky was a LB and Sims is a RB. You can't compare those two. You can compare Wayman and Blake. Blake is 6'8 and Wayman was a 6'9 F/C. Concerning expectations, Blake knew what he was doing in asking for the number, thereby asking for the expectations. Nobody was comparing him to Wayman until he requested the number. It's just like a guard asking to wear #23 in obvious comparison to Michael Jordan. It's the same thing here (and ironically the same number).

GottaHavePride
5/11/2007, 12:53 PM
I'd like to see Wayman play bass with the band at some home games.

I guarantee, Wayman's too funky for that band to keep up.

william_brasky
5/11/2007, 12:58 PM
I guarantee, Wayman's too funky for that band to keep up.

That's what I'm sayin'.

Wayman could funk that band up.

Big Red Ron
5/11/2007, 02:00 PM
I haven't seen him play and he may be the biggest bust in OU history, but I love the balls it takes to take this on.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPzYqv3H3mE

rankin07
5/12/2007, 12:43 AM
isn't blake 6 ft 9 or 6 ft 10? don't know y everyone always has him down as 6 ft 8 i guarantee u he's taller then that his bro's 6 ft 7 and blake's more then 1 inch taller then him

stoopified
5/12/2007, 10:57 AM

#1 it wasn't a retired number and #2 the kid delivered, can you say Butkus?Asking to wear a retired number sets yourself up for very high expectations and therefore a long fall should he fail to deliver.Billy Tubbs signed a guy named Ron Roberts right after Wayman went pro and gave him #23.If you are saying Ron Who?.you have proven my point Roberts was a major bust.

Seamus
5/12/2007, 11:18 AM
These ESPN hacks-in-training are incredible with their hyperbole. "That dunk will be shown for generations to come!"

Bull****. They were excellent dunks, but they're not going to remain in the collective consciousness for much more than ... poof ... oops, they're already gone.

That said, Blake is a stud and I'm glad he's a Sooner. Hope to see him throw many down over the next few years.

LittleWingSooner
5/14/2007, 05:29 PM
#1 it wasn't a retired number and #2 the kid delivered, can you say Butkus?Asking to wear a retired number sets yourself up for very high expectations and therefore a long fall should he fail to deliver.Billy Tubbs signed a guy named Ron Roberts right after Wayman went pro and gave him #23.If you are saying Ron Who?.you have proven my point Roberts was a major bust.

OU doesn't retire numbers in any sport.

Big Red Ron
5/14/2007, 05:32 PM
OU doesn't retire numbers in any sport.Read much?

LittleWingSooner
5/14/2007, 06:08 PM
Read much?

His first quote was that it(20) wasn't a retired number. Well neither was 23.

okienole3
5/14/2007, 06:25 PM
His first quote was that it(20) wasn't a retired number. Well neither was 23.

leave nicky.

goingoneight
5/21/2007, 01:03 AM
Okay, let's be serious... do we really think he can live up to the great Allen Patrick? :D